Can we overthink and overplan?

pv girl

It also saves walking to the MDR during the day (unless you are in a suite and receive the daily menus in your mail box) to read the menu and then decide which dining option to choose for the evening meal.

Dinner menus are available in the lounges by some time in the afternoon. No need to make a special trip to the dining room if it's not handy. There's always a lounge not far away.

One thing that we have learned is to let go of taking all those pictures. Sit back and actually enjoy the experience rather than trying to capture every single second of it. I figure that there are lots of internet sites that have better pictures of every place that we have ever been. We take a couple of pics and then put the camera away.

Some of us enjoy photography though. It's a hobby of mine and something I enjoy doing. I don't cats of someone can do it better than me, I'm doing it because it's fun. That's like saying you won't play baseball because professionals do so much better and you can just watch them do it instead. We actually took one of the shutterbug tours because it is what I enjoy doing and was one of my favorite tours.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Some of us enjoy photography though. It's a hobby of mine and something I enjoy doing. I don't cats of someone can do it better than me, I'm doing it because it's fun. That's like saying you won't play baseball because professionals do so much better and you can just watch them do it instead. We actually took one of the shutterbug tours because it is what I enjoy doing and was one of my favorite tours.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I agree. If you like to take pictures, you take pictures. I don't want someone else's photos in my online albums and on my walls. We, too, did one of those photo tours last year in Alaska, and we're doing another one this year in Saint John. They are loads of fun, and I picked up some really good tips.

For me, planning is part of the anticipation. I make excursion plans ahead of time, often using a tour guide recommended on the port of call boards and sometimes just taking a taxi from the pier.

As far as food goes, I can wait to see the menus when we get on board.

Just as an aside, I took out a summer purse today and opened it and found a stack of one dollar bills. I knew what those were from and what they were for.:):)

Edited by mamaofami

We did a lot of planning for our 22-day Med cruise on Noordam in April. We could have used a bit more planning for our pre-cruise visit to Hadrian's Villa outside Rome, because now we realize how much we missed. We should have devoted all our Tivoli time to this place rather than spend part of the day at Villa d'Este, lovely as it was.

As for the other planning - clothes/packing, how many Euros would we need, tours, etc., global phone plan, loading phone with apps and docs -- I thought it all worked very well. Planning takes away stress for me.

I only like to be ready. My husband gives me a bad time because I'm so fussy. This way I know what I want and can order the steak without people looking at me like I'm some pain in the a$$. I hate being fussy, but I am.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

My family of 4 has traveled the last few summers with my husbands parents. Since I am a former travel agent I enjoy planning these trips. Trying to find activities, lodging, etc for a group with a 70 year age range is always a fun challenge. This year it was a bit easier since the in-laws wanted to do a cruise. :D

Like someone else mentioned, for me it is a hobby. I plan carefully so that everyone in our group will do/see/experience something they really want.

I enjoy looking at the menus and the daily programs so I am prepared to answer questions and recommend activities. (Or really so I know when I can sneak in visits to the Thermal Suite while the kids are at Club Hal)

There is a fine line between adequate planning and too much, but I am not going to judge if someone labels their clothing. To each his own.

I have, however, converted my in-laws who have a long history of underplanning. They can't believe how much they have been able to do on our last two trips thanks to careful preparation.

I could have written this. I am the planner in my family and as a result, they have reaped the rewards. I get to indulge in my hobby of research and they get to experience the surprise element knowing I have done my research,

Going with the flow may work in the Caribbean, but Europe is a different animal.

To prove my point, my MIL took a Med cruise from Barcelona prior to our cruise with no set plan in place. When we returned, we showed her our pics and she couldn't be

believe all we had seen. She actually missed Las Ramblas and La Sagrada Familia. :eek:

I don't obsess over food but do like a general idea of the menu and certainly don't worry about what to wear each day with the exception of formal nights.

I cruise (and travel) for the destinations and I consider myself a "learner". I research in advance as much as possible so that I can learn about them. One can't possibly remember very much from a guided tour of four highlights in Rome if one doesn't do a little prep work and already have some understanding of what you will see!

Even more so if one is relying on public transportation or other options than a ship tour. I feel compulsive about not just researching but INTERNALIZING things like when the trains run and how often, what bus to take and where to get off, knowing the names of places in the local language (e.g., Piazza Spagna, not the Spanish Steps), etc.

We did a lot of planning for our 22-day Med cruise on Noordam in April. We could have used a bit more planning for our pre-cruise visit to Hadrian's Villa outside Rome, because now we realize how much we missed. We should have devoted all our Tivoli time to this place rather than spend part of the day at Villa d'Este, lovely as it was.

This post is a good illustration. I wanted to go to Hadrian's villa on my own during a stay in Rome. I knew I had no interest in Villa d'Este (not my era!). I read a number of books about Hadrian and about the villa before going. I researched how to get there by train and bus. I put together a document that had descriptions and plans of nearly every part of the (very large) villa and grounds.

And guess what -- with all the other documentation I had to bring for this rather long stay in Rome + following cruise, I forgot to bring this one document with me. However, with the onsite audioguide and with all the reading and studying I'd already done, I don't think I missed much. :o (Still would like to go back again though...and I probably will.)

On the other hand, I do not research the cruise component much at all. I'm not a picky eater, so I can always find something on the MDR menu to suit me. My cabin location doesn't matter much either. And I tend to choose the ship more for the itinerary and less for the amenities.

Edited by cruisemom42

WE just decided today to go on a cruise Jul 12 - since that is my birthday month and our 43rd anniversary I'm just happy to be planning on a date. We do some organized tour planning, but love the hop on hop off buses, etc. Good thing I haven't completely put everything away from our cruise that ended May 2nd. I'm fine with finding out what's for dinner by looking at the menu posted at the MDR.

30 years ago, we did not plan anything, it all seemed to work out.

Today with the internet it is easy to over plan. We don't actually do that, but I can see how it could happen.

Now I generally think about what I would most like to do on a particular trip, check out info but leave lots of options for going with the flow. I am the planner in the family, my DH is not, so that helps to keep us balanced.

So to answer you question, I would say yes, it is possible to over plan.

What an interesting topic. I am a List Maker. Making lists for packing and sightseeing puts me in control and lessens anxiety. What if I forget important travel documents? If not for my To Do lists, which I rewrite about every six days, I wouldn't have renewed our passports in time for our next cruise. I make lists for my clothes so I can determine the color scheme and avoid overpacking.

For each cruise I make up a three ring binder divided into sections for the ship (deck plan, tonnage, year built, etc.), the hotel, the flights, facts about the ports, currencies and how to say Please and Thank You in the languages we will encounter -- including aboard the ship.

And what pleasure this gives me. DH just packs what I have set aside for him and enjoys the experience.

I must get back to the fold out guide to Greek and Roman mythology for our next cruise. Why not exercise the "little grey cells," as Poirot would say?

Mrs M

What an interesting topic. I am a List Maker. Making lists for packing and sightseeing puts me in control and lessens anxiety. What if I forget important travel documents? If not for my To Do lists, which I rewrite about every six days, I wouldn't have renewed our passports in time for our next cruise. I make lists for my clothes so I can determine the color scheme and avoid overpacking.

For each cruise I make up a three ring binder divided into sections for the ship (deck plan, tonnage, year built, etc.), the hotel, the flights, facts about the ports, currencies and how to say Please and Thank You in the languages we will encounter -- including aboard the ship.

I also enjoy using "the little grey cells" and planning does lessen anxiety for me too. I do what you do, except I put it in a folder. I have a Word doc packing list which I print out and edit for each trip. DH just has a pad and a scribble and it works for him but I check everything for him too. Though we choose excursions ahead of time, that is the end of cruise management - once on board we relax and go with whatever we feel like. I like pleasant surprises, and if I miss something, why it is because I was doing something else I enjoyed.

Question for anybody, but especially the planners: Do you keep your paperwork/notebooks/folders after the cruise? I myself like to throw things away if I can. That usually takes me awhile, though.

I keep almost everything, neatly filed or boxed, and find myself referring to it again anytime I am planning another cruise, and often even when I'm not, just to answer a question or to reminisce. However, the issue of saving stuff may indicate less of the 'planner" in me (though I am one) than the "scrapbooker/hoarder!" :rolleyes: What I keep wishing I would remember to put among my souvenirs is the final credit card bill, because my DH and I keep finding ourselves asking each other, "So how much did that cruise cost per day, all expenses taken into consideration?" We like to compare when thinking about booking another cruise.

Edited by SeagoingMom

Question for anybody, but especially the planners: Do you keep your paperwork/notebooks/folders after the cruise? I myself like to throw things away if I can. That usually takes me awhile, though.

I create my port notes on the computer (and put in quite a bit of effort on them). If I print out paper copies, I toss them as I go along on the trip to cut down on things to bring home.

Any maps or other info I pick up along the way comes home with me if I think I'll use it again or if it could be useful to friends or family -- or for answering questions here.

Info on private tours, highlights I keep. I have shared info on several occasions & happy to do so. People on CC have been very kind to me & I am happy to return the favour.

Unnecessary stuff goes into recycling

Some of the posts on this thread have made me smile -- the ones that describe the "fanatical" planners who mark the clothes they are going to wear for each day, or each part of each day -- because that is, to some extent, ME! I have never been inflexible, but I do plan particular outfits for particular purposes : sea days, port calls, dinner, formal nights, afternoon tea, etc. I plan the outfits, with jewelry and other accessories, and print out pictures labeled for each activity on each day. I do this so I don't have to spend time (if I don't want to) deciding what to wear while I'm cruising, and so I know that I have packed what I need. Of course, I change my mind and am not bound to the planning sheets -- I use them as a guide. But I enjoy the pre-planning, and spend a good deal of time on it before the cruise, so I don't have to think about it on the cruise but still fell confident I look great.

"Dressing" for my cruise is important to me, but certainly not to everyone. These are aspects of cruising that I enjoy -- not having to pack light, not having to pack and unpack while traveling, and to pack and wear whatever makes me happy. And the planning is a "hobby" for me, too, like for others.

We keep a lot of stuff on our computers, too. But we don't have a system yet for papers. We have a stack of papers on a chest in the dining area for upcoming cruises. It probably has old stuff too. I am still confronting two envelopes with info from the last cruise. Don't know what to do with the stuff.

I also do my clothes planning in detail. My problem is that I am obsessive about it, and I think I enjoy it. My goal is to put some of that effort into more research about what we plan to see and do.

I took probably 5,000 photos on our Mediterranean cruise, and have found it a huge effort to winnow them down to show friends (who Have asked, by the way). I like taking pictures, but now this hobby is starting to seem like work.

First for the runner -- there are two stores in Juneau that can probably help out should you need something: Foggy Mountain downtown and NAO in the Mendenhall Valley. I think Sitka has at least one store that might work too, but I can't speak for Ketchikan.

Much to my DW's chagrin I am a detail-oriented person, so I tend to do a lot of planning for our trips, especially cruises. I try to limit my efforts to research as opposed to scheduling, unless we agree there is something we really want to do. This way we know our options, and I have information on things we really want to try and catch.

But we're still very open to playing it fast and loose. On our last cruise (Mexican Riviera) we ended up staying onboard for two fo the three port days just to chill. We were both wiped out from work and needed the recharge.

Some of the posts on this thread have made me smile -- the ones that describe the "fanatical" planners who mark the clothes they are going to wear for each day, or each part of each day -- because that is, to some extent, ME! I have never been inflexible, but I do plan particular outfits for particular purposes : sea days, port calls, dinner, formal nights, afternoon tea, etc. I plan the outfits, with jewelry and other accessories, and print out pictures labeled for each activity on each day. I do this so I don't have to spend time (if I don't want to) deciding what to wear while I'm cruising, and so I know that I have packed what I need. Of course, I change my mind and am not bound to the planning sheets -- I use them as a guide. But I enjoy the pre-planning, and spend a good deal of time on it before the cruise, so I don't have to think about it on the cruise but still fell confident I look great.

"Dressing" for my cruise is important to me, but certainly not to everyone. These are aspects of cruising that I enjoy -- not having to pack light, not having to pack and unpack while traveling, and to pack and wear whatever makes me happy. And the planning is a "hobby" for me, too, like for others.

Ya .... what she said!! :D:D

About the pre-planning "stuff" ... I normally get rid of most of it afterwards, keeping pictures, brochures, maps etc to go in the albums I make based on the pics DH and I take.

I have found myself on both sides of the "research and development" desk. With our first three cruises, the planning was so much fun, and it covered so many weeks and months, that it was as if I were cruising all that time! I really enjoyed the process -- researching ships, itineraries, excursions, etc. -- and it was particularly exciting for our first cruise because it was no longer just a dream: we actually were going to take a cruise at the end of all the planning!

But with our first cruise, I felt as it I got more satisfaction from the preliminaries than I actually got on the cruise itself. In other words, the research and planning, coupled with my lack of actual cruise experience, set up expectations in me that the cruise itself did not satisfy. It was as if I could not be disappointed while cruising "in my mind," as I could make everything seem perfect; but in the end, the cruise was, of course, not perfect, and although I had a good time I did not enjoy it quite as much as I thought I would. As a matter of fact, at the end of it I thought cruising was not for me! But as time went on, I put everything in perspective and began to realize how much the cruise did please me, and I began to crave another cruise, and since then, I have been hooked!

For our second and third cruises, I did almost as much research, and enjoyed it just as much. But because my expectations were now grounded in reality, I was able to enjoy the cruises more fully.

Then came our fourth cruise (last March). We booked this cruise because we needed a break, not an adventure. We had had some extraordinary stresses in our lives, and we needed to "get away from it all," so we decided to cruise. This was the first time I wanted to simply book the cruise and sail away -- with little to no planning or research. To my own amazement, I felt I would have preferred it if someone had simply kidnapped me and thrown me onto the ship! We chose a cruise with more sea days than ports, and I booked only one excursion, intending to "play it by ear" at the other ports. I did not want to be herded around and forced to meet a schedule. Even normal cruise prep work I found tedious and nerve-wracking -- so much so that at one point I was ready to cancel the cruise.

We did finally did cruise, and the cruise was very relaxing -- exactly what we needed. But I learned that there are times when the mental cruise before the actual one is a great thing for me, and times when I want to not think about anything at all regarding the cruise until I step onto the ship. It's all about what is going on in my "real" life, and what I want or need from my cruise.

Edited by SeagoingMom

• 2 months later...

I love to read and plan for our cruises, especially booking private excursions which have always worked well for us...Best prices, smaller groups, etc. I think this is a huge part of our vacation.

I think I'd feel like I was missing something if I just got onboard and "winged it".

We don't plan down to the food we will eat, but it's nice to read tips such as don't miss the escargot, best place onboard for lobster, etc.

Thanks to all our Cruise Critic buddies!

Planning is half the fun. But it needs to be " balanced". We usually go on two trips abroad a year. I read extensively on the ports/ cities and take care in choosing the hotels , as having a nice hotel really enhances our trip.

When we cruise with our whole family ( which is the norm) , I book private tours far ahead of time. This is important due to the fact that our family is big and some of the ports we go to are " off the beaten path" where tour operators are not plentiful ( ex: Shetland Islands). I feel this planning pays off , as we have had excellent tours.

I do peek at menus , out of curiousity , but never plan what I will eat nor what I will wear. I don't look at google maps.

My husband and I are going on our first cruise without the kids in May ( first since our honeymoon cruise to be exact). I am already planning it , but we will rent cars in many ports and just explore rather than go on tours. So excited! Since it is a new cruiseline and ship ( Crystal Serenity) , I have been reading a lot in order to create anticipation. ( it is working). My husband knows pracitically nothing about our trips , he just comes along!