Ft Lauderdale Embassy Suites or Riverside Hotel?

barb in ga

Be sure to check lastminutetravel.com for great rates at the Doubletree,Galleria Suites. We stayed there last July. We really enjoyed our stay and I think we paid like $118 for our room for 4 of us.

Have a great time,

:p

There is a wine shop, Las Olas Wine right down the street on the same side of the street. You can also walk down Federal Highway/US1 to the CVS.

Also, Cheese Culture on Las Olas (a few blocks) and Publix on Andrews Ave (about a mile, but very good selection) sell wine.

Total Wines & Gilbert's (best key lime pie ever) share the Publix parking lot behind the ES. We've always had full bar service every time we've stayed there. Last time was this Feb. Cost $10 to port by cab, $15 from airport to hotel

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have not stayed at ES yet but have stayed in that area often.

Some nice places to eat in the area also have CVS ,Total Wine, Publix don't know what else you would need. Taxis are cheap and you also have the city bus if trolley is not running. Very close to cruise port and airport.

Anyway I will check out the ES in September :)

Reader

• 1 month later...
Here is where the Riverside is located..Las Olas Boulevard

http://www.lasolasboulevard.com/

Riverside reminds me of an old hotel...which it is...with old florida feel and ambiance. The newer rooms overlook the river and intracoastal waters. Pool sits right by the New River so you can enjoy the boats going by. Great choice of local restaurants around the hotel, small shops, art galeries...Hotel restaurant is good too. A couple block walk to a water taxi stop if you want.

Embassy is pretty much like other Embassy Suites. And you'd get the breakfast included there which is nice.

It's located on the very busy 17th St. Restaurants and stores for last min. pick ups are in close walking distance.. Popular with cruisers. Nothing really that screams Fort Lauderdale.

We personally don't choose chain type hotels if we don't have to when we vacation. So we have not stayed at this ES but have at the Riverside on two different vacations. From what you say you'd like...I'd go with Riverside.

No matter which you pick, use cabs and go on your own schedule.

We're thinking about coming down in December for Winterfest. Riverside is one of the hotel options for a pretty reasonable price. Would we be able to sit out in the pool area then, and see the parade go by? It's been a few years since we've been down for the parade, and I'm assuming it still goes by there. That would be pretty nice to have front row viewing, and the conveniences of home, if you will. ;)

OP, I haven't stayed at Riverside, but have stayed at ES numerous times. As others pointed out, ES can be a good deal for the money with the reception, breakfast, location, etc. We've also stayed at Hyatt Pier 66, Hilton Marina, Gallery One, and Renaissance. Each place had their own benefit for that particular stay, so it's really up to you to decide what you want from a hotel this trip. Sounds like Riverside got some really good recommendations, good luck with whatever you choose. :)

We're thinking about coming down in December for Winterfest. Riverside is one of the hotel options for a pretty reasonable price. Would we be able to sit out in the pool area then, and see the parade go by? It's been a few years since we've been down for the parade, and I'm assuming it still goes by there. That would be pretty nice to have front row viewing, and the conveniences of home, if you will. ;)

:)

The Riverside will be excellent for the boat parade! Just about anywhere on property and I believe they also have covered seating in the patio area out back by the river.

It is a ton of fun!

Does anyone know what time the shuttle goes to the port in the morning? I like to get to the port early.

The vans go to the port when they a filled, however cabs are cheap and run 24 hours a day.

Does anyone know what time the shuttle goes to the port in the morning? I like to get to the port early.

Just returned a week ago from our cruise on the Allure, and we stayed at the ES Saturday night.

To answer your question we were offerred 2 means of transportation at the ES.

1. Since our TA booked the Embassy when she booked our cruise we were provided with an RCI free shuttle to port. It would pick us up at 11 am. BUT, it would also stop at other hotels to get other cruisers and a guarantee time to port was not able to be confirmed.

2. The Embassy said there were seats available on their first shuttle at 11am for a fee (do not know cost because we did not do).

We knew from the get go, we were doing a cab.

That morning we took our luggage down at 10am.

I asked the bell captain if he could call us a cab.

The bell captain said " It may take a cab 30 min to get here"

I go "wow" and thanked him

We go outside and DH ready to dial on a cell phone for a cab and there was one waiting in a designated cabbie area at 10:05am.

DH waved him over, we loaded up, and with tip 3 suitcases, 3 carryons and 3 adults just gave him $20.

Took us right to the Allure baggage area and handed our suitcases to a dock worker we were thru check in and sitting in the waiting area by 10:25am.

I had been forwarned that the Embassy is pushing their transportation, but knew our own plan.

Enjoy your trip.

Sea Ya

Thank you. We will call for a cab ourselves. I like getting to the port about 10-10:30 to avoid the crowds and since we are in a GS on Vision, we can wait inside. I went on Vision in July and got to the port at 10:00 with our group of 10 and was allowed to sit inside the terminal before going through security to check in.

Does anyone have a phone number for a cab company?

As it turns out, we are staying at the Embassy Suites for an impromptu cruise at the end of this month. :) We decided to book ES, since it is closer to the pier and only for one night. ;)

As it turns out, we are staying at the Embassy Suites for an impromptu cruise at the end of this month. :) We decided to book ES, since it is closer to the pier and only for one night. ;)

Hi, I use google ALOT......I don't have a cab company's phone number

but will suggest GOOGLE:D.....type in Ft. Lauderdale Cab Companies

and I am sure a bunch of links will come up.

Google is your friend.

I think the phone number is something like

:confused:954-777-7777

The area code I am not sure of, but the rest I am, and no I did not play the lottery with the sevens.

There are a million cabs down there, you will just have to look out the window to get the rest of the number, or just walk out the door of the ES.

The area code Like I said I am not sure of.

Sea Ya

Thank you Lioness. That's the one. I now remember the 7's. :) Suppose to be the trusted cab. ;)

I am putting it in my phone right now, in case we check-out of the ES and do not see a cab. I can remember the clerks at that hotel doing the same to us years ago. :rolleyes: We fell for it and didn't get on a shuttle until about an hour after we were told. Made us very late to get on the ship.

Lois - Google is my friend, also. But since Lioness posted about it, I thought she might have it handy. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

We've stayed at both. Embassy is our preferred location if only staying one night. Total Wines & Publix in parking lot behind hotel. We also enjoy Gilbert's for a good burger & outstanding homemade Key Lime pie

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by awhfy