On Deck for the Cure

CruisingCoral

This is what gets me ticked about events such as these. The cruise company contributes nothing to the charities that receive the support except deck space. If HAL were truly interested in supporting the charity, they would cover the expenses for the walk so that the charity received 100% of the proceeds instead of 80%.

If you want to support breast cancer research or any other charity, support it directly instead of through HAL.

BTW - you can also walk on deck any time you want which is what I do.

DON

Most charities must take an "administrative cut". This pays for t-shirts, donation mailings, hats, ect...

I have a cousin who works with charitable organizations (she is a professional philanthropist), and she said that 50% is an excellent number. I think that I can live with 80% going to agencies that support cancer research and awareness.

(and I also walk every day on the deck, but that is just for me! :))

I am not telling anyone not to participate in a Komen fund activity, but Relay for Life benefits the American Cancer Society, quite different animal than Komen. Check them both out.

Most charities must take an "administrative cut". This pays for t-shirts, donation mailings, hats, ect...

I have a cousin who works with charitable organizations (she is a professional philanthropist), and she said that 50% is an excellent number. I think that I can live with 80% going to agencies that support cancer research and awareness.

(and I also walk every day on the deck, but that is just for me! :))

I totally agree and understand that all charities have to take out administrative expenses. The difference here is the HAL is taking 20% off the top before the money even gets to the charity. Then they claim that they are supporting the charity. I have seen lots of business that support charities that claim that 100% of all funds collected go directly to the charity supported.

HAL is too cheap to do that. Shame!

DON

I totally agree and understand that all charities have to take out administrative expenses. The difference here is the HAL is taking 20% off the top before the money even gets to the charity. Then they claim that they are supporting the charity. I have seen lots of business that support charities that claim that 100% of all funds collected go directly to the charity supported.

HAL is too cheap to do that. Shame!

DON

I agree, :(

I was under the impression that the 20% was the charity's administration and the supplying of the shirts and hats was on HAL. :D

However, it is still better than nothing, as it raises awareness as well.

Their (Komen) debacle with Planned Parenthood lost my support. We used to walk every cruise. Now I don't participate and send my (supporting breast cancer) check elsewhere.

This was a sticky subject for us, but decided to continue to walk to keep the awareness factor in the open. We also walk for our locale hospital which supports Cancer patients with wigs, rides for treatment, a hand to hold etc. no research but still walk. Not everything for Cancer has to do with finding a cure.

Wish I could walk in a re-lay or 3 day but I still support them. Used to do these but since chemo can no longer go the distance. So you see On Deck for a Cure is perfect for me. Just my thoughts.

As a breast cancer survivor I support any effort to increase awareness. However the initiative the gives to organizations in different countries has far more appeal to me than funding one rather dubious charity. I have participated in seven 60KM two day walks for research into women's cancers, but doubt if I would walk for the Komen foundation.

Edited by smtcan

Susan G. Komen has practically had a monopoly on cruise ship fund raising for years. After their Planned Parenthood debacle a couple of years ago, I discontinued any support of their organization and was pleased to see that RC was selling t-shirts in support of the Make a Wish Foundation on the Allure last year.

"Awareness" is a good thing, but lots of $ have gone in to that, with little change to survival rates for those with metastatic breast cancer. As a matter of fact, the awareness and early detection message has been do well heard that many people think we have cured bc or you'll be fine if you catch it early. Sadly not true as it is estimated that anywhere between 20-30% of women diagnosed with early stage breast cancer will develop metastatic disease at some point. I have breast cancer, but will never be a survivor because of metastatic disease. Yup, I was aware and had annual mammograms. I was stage IV out of the gate. Breast cancer is a very complex disease with lots of variables and although there is much hope, it still kills far too many.

rpcv: Thank you for your posts. I sometimes think I am a lone voice crying in the wilderness when I refuse to be called a survivor as there is no such thing as a cure for breast cancer.

If one is lucky, one goes into remission for the rest of one's life and dies from something else. However, until that happens, how does one know they survived breast cancer?

You are right; breast cancer is not pretty and pink.

Thanks. I don't want to turn this in to a breast cancer thread, I guess I just want folks to understand what their money is being used for before they donate it. I am quite fortunate, however, in that I have been NED ( no evidence of disease) for almost 3 years, and lead a fairly normal life. You would never know I have stage IV bc by looking at me, but my horse is out of the barn and I know what awaits me sooner or later. Komen doesn't offer much for those with my "variety" of breast cancer. It's definitely the darker side of bc.

Edited by rpcv77
Left out something

I ... was pleased to see that RC was selling t-shirts in support of the Make a Wish Foundation on the Allure last year.

Yes, the MAWF is a very good cause.

My problem with the RC walk is that the money raised is to provide cruises on RC through the MAWF. To me, RC should be donating those cruise trips and any money raised on the ship used to fill other wishes.

Thanks. I don't want to turn this in to a breast cancer thread, I guess I just want folks to understand what their money is being used for before they donate it. I am quite fortunate, however, in that I have been NED ( no evidence of disease) for almost 3 years, and lead a fairly normal life. You would never know I have stage IV bc by looking at me, but my horse is out of the barn and I know what awaits me sooner or later. Komen doesn't offer much for those with my "variety" of breast cancer. It's definitely the darker side of bc.

So many women deal with different issues to do with the Cancer or the Chemo. Me I decided if my feet hit the floor I'm good :D. I just keep booking cruises to have something to look forward to.

Take care and enjoy every day.

Yes, the MAWF is a very good cause.

My problem with the RC walk is that the money raised is to provide cruises on RC through the MAWF. To me, RC should be donating those cruise trips and any money raised on the ship used to fill other wishes.

From all the posts in this thread on different aspects of walks on the ships, the whole thing sounds a bit sleazy to me. I support the causes I care about by writing them checks, not by walking in circles around decks or by going on walks on land. The walk bit sounds to me like a bit of a "feel good" response to a problem.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

For those interested, there's a very powerful documentary called Pink Ribbons, Inc. tht came out over a year ago that does a very fair job of examining some of the big charities that have become involved in breast cancer research, including an extensive interview the then-head of the Komen Foundation.

The question it centers on is who benefits from all the fundraising, and the film maker truly stays out of the way and lets people speak for themselves, and I found it profoundly moving. It doesn't draw you pictures of heroes and villains, but it does urge you to make decisions about how you want to support the fight against breast cancer.

Sadly, it never received a general release (because it's intelligent, unbiased, not shouty or extreme, plus it's a documentary).

It's available on Netflix for streaming to your computer or television, and I promise you it's ninety minutes well spent.

For those interested, there's a very powerful documentary called Pink Ribbons, Inc. tht came out over a year ago that does a very fair job of examining some of the big charities that have become involved in breast cancer research, including an extensive interview the then-head of the Komen Foundation.

The question it centers on is who benefits from all the fundraising, and the film maker truly stays out of the way and lets people speak for themselves, and I found it profoundly moving. It doesn't draw you pictures of heroes and villains, but it does urge you to make decisions about how you want to support the fight against breast cancer.

Sadly, it never received a general release (because it's intelligent, unbiased, not shouty or extreme, plus it's a documentary).

It's available on Netflix for streaming to your computer or television, and I promise you it's ninety minutes well spent.

Thank you. It will be my evening viewing tonight (gotta love those Netflix streaming documentaries!).

No cruise is long enough to share with its passengers, an awareness of all our best charitable causes. However, I can't think of one other that has the fastest and most immediate affect on society, like organ and tissue donations.

As a kidney transplant recipient, I would encourage people as they write checks to their favorite charities, they also sign up to be an organ donor. It costs nothing and it will save a life!

From all the posts in this thread on different aspects of walks on the ships, the whole thing sounds a bit sleazy to me. I support the causes I care about by writing them checks, not by walking in circles around decks or by going on walks on land. The walk bit sounds to me like a bit of a "feel good" response to a problem.

DON

I don't think anyone should only do one thing or the other (the walk or write cheques), but rather support the charities you want any way you wish.:D

As a kidney transplant recipient, I would encourage people as they write checks to their favorite charities, they also sign up to be an organ donor. It costs nothing and it will save a life!

I have already done that. It would be selfish to take with me perfectly good parts when I go. That said, I'm going to be a little irked if, post-death, I find out that there was a deposit on those parts which I'm not getting refunded because of my organ donation.

Ken,

Thanks for highlighting this film. As a stage IV breast cancer patient, I found it refreshing, honest and decidedly not pink!