Poor Choice in Purchasing Jewelry

It was. This has been a nightmare.

Did you like the piece when you purchased it?

When you purchase something else...say a new car. If you drive it straight from the dealership to someone and try to sell it I can assure you they will not offer you what you paid less than an hour earlier. Do that scenario rate as a "nightmare" for you?

Beisde...the store being a "recommended" store may simply mean "They sell their pieces for a lot more than they are worth but give me perks so I make them recommended".

Edited by TC1957

There have been quite a few posts, over the years (including some of my own) strongly warning cruisers not to leave their shopping-brain at home. But we always get flamed when we suggest that most of the jewelry (and electronics) sold in the Caribbean is not really such a good deal. And you might consider that the appraised amount for jewelry is already significantly inflated beyond the real market value. The higher the appraised value the higher your insurance premium (and insurance does not usually pay the appraised value if they must later pay off).

So do you have any recourse when you get ripped off on a jewelry purchase? Not really. And how about the so-called guarantees that you are told about when you go to a port shopping lecture on a ship? Well, that lecturer usually works for a private company (not the cruise line) who makes their money by being paid by the very stores they promote. Do not expect them to do anything to help if you claim your purchase was horribly overvalued. Most jewelry is already marked-up hundreds of percent at retail. And the so-called appraisal used by a majority of Caribbean retailers are usually not worth the paper they are printed on...except for a few genuine high quality retailers (like Stern's).

Hank

If you bought it because you liked it and were willing to pay the price they were asking for it....so be it. Were you buying it to "flip"? The "Value" of jewelry is VERY subjective!

So true! If you find a piece that you love, buy it! If you're buying something as an investment....buy it from a local jeweler that you know!! Same with "art", or anything of value.

There really are no "bargains" anymore!

You saw the price before buying jewelry. You agreed to pay. The seller (in another coutnry) does not have a problem with selling you an overpriced piece as s/he is no longer legally responsible the moment you crossed the border.

You have a nice souvenir from the cruise, perhaps too expensive, and a lesson - you paid for experience, enjoy the jewelry, and don't tell anyone how much it was.

In general I think your best bet is to buy jewelry at home. This way you can take your time and not buy it on impulse and you can get it from a reputable jeweler. The only exception we have made is purchasing a designer piece of jewelry where we know the price and then know whether or not it is a good price or not.

Keith

Not intending to offend anyone, but being a shopper who does much thinking, comparison shopping, and research, I have always wondered how many shoppers on a cruise make a costly purchase and then have buyer's remorse.

The only expensive item I have ever purchased on a cruise was a badly needed, good watch, one that I knew I was going to shop for before departing on the cruise. I had done some shopping locally before the trip and had gotten some idea of what was then available and at what price. At St. Thomas, in one of the nice stores, I found a watch that met my requirements at what I thought was a reasonable price. I bought it. Upon returning home, I went back to a couple of stores that carried that brand of watch and found the exact same watch. Pleasantly, I discovered what I paid in St. Thomas was a few dollars less than what it would have cost me in Dayton. (This happened in 1983.)

Incidentally, I am wearing this same watch right now. It has been a wonderful purchase and daily reminds me of a wonderful cruise on the Nordic Prince!

Edited by rkacruiser

Since the last post mentioned watches (a personal passion) it might be the right time to put out another warning. Some of the Caribbean merchants (just like some US based online merchants) sell what is called "gray market" watches (as well as cameras). These are legit brand name products, but are not intended for sale in the USA. Accordingly, the manufacturer refuses to honor their warranty. Many of these products come with some kind of warranty provided by a 3rd party warranty company which can have its own issues. Most of these warranty companies will have a single US address and you have to mail the item (and pay for postage) to get any kind of warranty service...assuming they will prior authorize the service.

There are also plenty of good retailers who sell authorized watches/cameras with a full US warranty. It is always advisable to specifically ask about the warranty ("Does this have the Manufactuer's Warranty?) before making a purchase. We have bought gray market stuff in the past, but it was with the knowledge that we could have warranty-related issues.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Not intending to offend anyone, but being a shopper who does much thinking, comparison shopping, and research, I have always wondered how many shoppers on a cruise make a costly purchase and then have buyer's remorse.

Of sure, I can help you here. Jewelry is usually an emotional purchase, so when someone isn't given the time to get past the emotion to use reason to measure their choice, emotion makes the choice. At home you can think about it for a few days. But the pressure of one port day motivates folks to satisfy their emotional urge. It's kind of fun to watch really.

I personally don't understand the humans emotional desires for diamonds, but I only have to watch Sally's eyes spin to see it. And you only have to look down the street at hundreds of jewelry stores in St. Thomas to know something is up. Strangely, I've noticed men on cruises have the same emotional desire for watches. I'm sure the same good deals can be found on the internet, but I guess when you put it on in the cool airconditioned store seperated by a stale hot humid tropical afternoon, patiences goes out the window. And hey, its a vacation, right. I don't wear a watch, but one of these days as I'm sipping on that free Red Stripe beer (aren't they so nice to notice my thirst), I may get that Rolex.

I disagree that a good deal can't be found on the cruise. I know diamonds pretty well and I have seen some good deals. But you need to know what you are looking at.

Sally and I have learned that we, "cough" "cough", will always make a few silly emotional purchases because of the rich exotic environement in that moment, so we just try not to spend so much that it hurts when the high of the moment fades away. A $500 ring doesn't hurt nears as much as a $5000 ring. And if you're look for something familiare like David Yurman, you won't go too far wrong.

And it's not just jewelry, we bought some expensive art work a couple years ago in Hawaii. We don't ever do that, but something came over us. Shesh, don't judge. Still, we have really enjoyed it though, so no regrets. As for that stupid Mexican hat, what was I thinking?

I'll bet some of you are surprised a strong mature man like me knows of the David Yurman line. Well, it saves time shopping every Christmas and I don't have to worry if it makes her hips look big. :D

Burt

Know your jeweler.

Know that you can go back to your jeweler and they will not hide from you.

Buying jewelry any other way means that you must be OK with the deal that you've made.

Wwe have a yellow rock sold as a citrine.

My guy says it ain't a citrine. His best guess is that it's a synthetic sapphire. I told what we paid and he said we did OK. He also mentioned that it will never scratch.

Hello.

I have cruised twice, but this is my first post. Has anyone purchased jewelry from a recommended store that appraised for much less when you got home with it? How did you resolve the problem? Thank you.

A lot depends on the type of appraisal you were given as all are not equal. Value depends on whether you want to insure the jewelry for it's actual cash value, replacement value or it's agreed upon value.

• Cash value is the value of your jewelry at today’s market rate, not at the purchase price.
  • Replacement value means the insurer will pay you a specific amount according to its current market value at the time of the loss.
  • Agreed value means that you and your insurer settle on a specific value that you will receive in the event of a loss.

I'm your basic costume jewelry purchaser. Other than my engagement/wedding ring (bought at the downtown LA jewelry district), I don't wear anything that cost more than $20. Even the watches I buy for myself aren't expensive. So if I buy something on a cruise, it's because I like it, not because I think it's worth a lot.

We also know to walk beyond the "cruise line recommended" stores and see what other stores offer for souvenirs and the basic tscholkes -- I'm guessing it's the same stuff but maybe for a little less. Jewelry isn't high up on my list of desired purchases. But then I usually bring three pairs of shoe (including the ones I'm wearing when I board) on two week cruise.:D

Rest assured you are not the first and you won't be the last to have this experience.

Case in point...15 years ago or so my DH was in Germany on business. He decided to look in a jewelry store one day doing some sight seeing. He found a "diamond" bracelet and bought it for me for my birthday. When he brought it home I was touched at the thought of him doing this.

I took it to our jeweler for an insurance appraisal. The jeweler looked at it and told me it was not diamonds and had little value, not worth insuring.

Fortunately he didn't charge me for the appraisal. I kept wearing the bracelet because it was the thought that counted. Then the "gold" turned dark too.

Lesson learned.

If you bought from Diamonds International, and kept all the paperwork, you can trade the item in on another. I did that with a ring I bought. I didn't like the looks of the stone after getting back home, so on the next cruise I traded it in on for full credit on a beautiful bracelet, necklace, and earrings. My jeweler, who had examined the ring, also looked at my new purchases and was very pleased. He was especially astounded at the work on the bracelet. The trick is to make the deal on the new purchase before revealing you have a trade.

It has been over 30 years since I bought any jewelry in the Caribbean.

Back in the 80's the jewelry sold in the islands was a better quality than it is now.

I have regular jeweler that I have gone to for about 25 years to have rings cleaned, etc. If there is something I want to buy, I would buy from him. The jeweler we had before him was a gem -- but he finally retired at age 80 and turned over the store to his son whom we go to.

Appraisals are a meaningless sales tool that jewelry stores use to encourage you to buy. Why would anyone sell you say, a diamond ring that has a $12K value for $5K. But people believe this nonsense. It is just as bad as the on board art auctions.

Jewelry stores are recommended by cruise lines for one reason and one reason alone. And no, it is neither price nor quality. The stores PAY to be recommended. They pay either a monthly fee, a percentage or each sale, and quiet often both.

The program is typically operated by a third party on behalf of the cruise line. Why do you think that some cruise lines ask you to fill out a form with your purchases/value?

Several years ago in St. Thomas I shopped for a piece of gold jewelry. I asked to have it weighed-and the clerk did so. Then I asked to have it weighed on another scale-one at the back of the store. Guess what....no surprise, the weights did not agree. The one at the front by the sale counter registered about 20 percent heavier. No wonder the clerk was reluctant to accede to my request.

Edited by iancal