Power Strip/Surge Protector

Marieze

Hi Everyone! Please take a look at the Belkin Power Strip/Surge Protector I plan on bringing aboard the Golden in August. I just want to confirm that this type of plug will work in the cabin. We have 2 cellphones that will most likely need charging at some point, an ipad and possible laptop.

Will this work?

We use this one with no problem. Took ours in the carryon so we could charge things when we got on the ship. Picked ours up through one of Walmart's 3rd party sellers for about $12. Just had to add routine supplies to our order to get it over $50 for free shipping.

On our last cruise (Star to Hawaii in 3/14) I used two of the Belkin Mini Surge Protectors in our cabin. About half way thru the cruise we were visited by a couple of crew members from the Engineering department. They said they were having an electric issue and wanted to look in our room. Another crew member was using some kind of testing equipment in a nearby electrical panel. He came into our cabin and went right to the two Belkins (one behind the TV and the other on the desk top}. He said that the Belkins were causing a problem and asked that we not use them. He said that he would bring us a power strip, which he did. This is the first time that this has happened. We have used the Belkin on numerous other cruises without a problem. Except for this time, in which we used two of the units. We use the extra outlets for I-Phone, I-Pads, hair dryer and curling iron. Next time I’ll only take one. :)

We have the same one, and we used it on the Ruby and Emerald in January and March. DH always takes a power strip extension cord, too, as he never knows how close the electric plug will be for his cpap.

Would this be useful to use with a converter for our trip to London before our fall ta cruise on the Ruby?

I use this power strip for cruises: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015DYMVO/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can't quite tell if this is the same one as the picture in the first post, but it must be pretty similar. I bought the 1 AMP version before I knew that tablets need a 2.1 AMP USB charging port, but that's okay, I plug the tablet into the regular outlet, and leave the USB ports for phones and Kindle.

This is the one we use also.

Superior power protection from damaging voltage fluctuations, surges, and spikes

2 powered USB ports for charging your digital cameras, smartphones, MP3 players, and portable hard drives

Wall-mountable for 3 extra AC outlets without extra cords

360-degree rotating plug with 4 locking positions for a compact, lightweight design

Damage-resistant housing protects circuits from fire, impact or rust, and prevents dents and scratches.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-3-Outlet-Charger-Protector-Charging/dp/B0015DYMVO/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1404054240&sr=8-18&keywords=wall+outlet+with+usb+ports

Your picture shows that (as on most Princess ships) when you have it plugged in, it blocks access to the second desk outlet.

That is true, but with the usb ports, it is like gaining three outlets. That is all we needed for an iPhone, iPad, camera charger, and other items. Typically, you do not have everything plugged in at once.

debygety.jpg

gatu7e4y.jpg

Hi Everyone! Please take a look at the Belkin Power Strip/Surge Protector I plan on bringing aboard the Golden in August. I just want to confirm that this type of plug will work in the cabin. We have 2 cellphones that will most likely need charging at some point, an ipad and possible laptop.

Will this work?

Thanks....Marieze

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have one just like that that I use on my Princess cruises. Works like a charm!

Edited by Host Kat >^..^<
pictures in quote moved from horizontal position to vertical. Thread was too wide for average member screens.

On our last cruise (Star to Hawaii in 3/14) I used two of the Belkin Mini Surge Protectors in our cabin. About half way thru the cruise we were visited by a couple of crew members from the Engineering department. They said they were having an electric issue and wanted to look in our room. Another crew member was using some kind of testing equipment in a nearby electrical panel. He came into our cabin and went right to the two Belkins (one behind the TV and the other on the desk top}. He said that the Belkins were causing a problem and asked that we not use them. He said that he would bring us a power strip' date=' which he did. This is the first time that this has happened. We have used the Belkin on numerous other cruises without a problem. Except for this time, in which we used two of the units. We use the extra outlets for I-Phone, I-Pads, hair dryer and curling iron. Next time I’ll only take one. :)[/quote']

I used to bring the Belkin with surge protection until I read that surge protectors are not always the best for use on ships (here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2010705) .

So now I bring a couple of these non-surge protected divices

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk

That is true, but with the usb ports, it is like gaining three outlets. That is all we needed for an iPhone, iPad, camera charger, and other items. Typically, you do not have everything plugged in at once.

I recalled that the desktop sockets were further apart & searched online to confirm my recollection and found this statement..."In the years since the Ruby Princess was launched, cruise travelers have begun traveling with more electrical items. Princess has spaced electrical outlets further apart on the Royal Princess to facilitate charging multiple items and now have one 220-volt socket".

I've seen photos posted but was unable to locate them so maybe someone could share them with us again.

I found a photo showing one of the two desktop sockets on the Royal which results in 2 useable sockets. Unlike other Princess ships with both sockets next to each other, the new setup results in both sockets being useable even when using the Belkin surge protector.

From CC: "Electrical sockets have been spaced farther apart to accommodate multiple plugs, and cabins now offer sockets to fit American appliances, as well as European (but not British) plugs.".

image.jpg.311b51ce94ca9d0cba77bbecbf9ac7e2.jpg

Edited by Astro Flyer

I'm going to be different. I bought a Belkin, like the one shown, for one of my cruises, and I just didn't like it. To me it's just to big and bulky. For following cruises I bring along a good power strip. Of course with two people, each having multiple electronic "toys", you might need two power strips.

debygety.jpg

gatu7e4y.jpg

Will this work?

Thanks....Marieze

I have the same thing that you bought. No problems using it and you adjust the plug to go in any direction. You will enjoy it as I have.

Tom:)

On Ocean Princess balcony cabin but they are identical on Pacific Princess balcony cabins

Thanks everybody.

Picture looks like a three prong my cords are 2 prongs. Will pick up a short one with three and hope it doesn't get lost. So far not very lucky with Air Canada with the exception of the young lady this morning.

• 1 month later...

If you bring an extension cord would it have to be heavy duty? My husband uses an oxygen concentrator at night and not sure if plug will reach outlet. Heavy duty cords are usually quite bulky.

debygety.jpg

gatu7e4y.jpg

Will this work?

Thanks....Marieze

They work great for traveling anywhere not just on a cruise ship. Its been recommended that you get the 2.1 amp which I have and take on all of my trips. It's nice that you can swivel the plug to put it into the best position. The best device for charging that I have ever had. Remember that it has 2 USB plugs and you can purchase it with either 1, 3 or 6 outlets.

Tom:)

They work great for traveling anywhere not just on a cruise ship. Its been recommended that you get the 2.1 amp which I have and take on all of my trips. It's nice that you can swivel the plug to put it into the best position. The best device for charging that I have ever had. Remember that it has 2 USB plugs and you can purchase it with either 1, 3 or 6 outlets.

They do not work with 220V outlets even if you have a plug connector. Must use a transformer if it will be plugged to a 220V outlet.

I have a really good travel power strip but I found that I really don't need it. It's heavy and takes up room in my suitcase. Just about every electronic device and camera charger has a USB connection so I just bring a relatively small plug with four USB ports.

I also recently got a very small charger for $16. It's about the size and weight of a cigarette lighter. It charges both my iPhone and iPad from depleted to fully charged and still has power left. I plan to bring it on my September cruise and think it'll be great for my long flights to Copenhagen when I read on my iPad Mini for hours. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00A5C4QDK/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1404010446&sr=8-2&pi=SX200_QL40

Pam .. do you mean that it charges the iphone and ipad from a battery device so it doesn't need to be plugged in on the plane? That would be awesome since I will spend hours reading my kindle on the flight to HongKong and home from Singapore. Thanks

Would this be useful to use with a converter for our trip to London before our fall ta cruise on the Ruby?

No. It's configured for 110v not 220v.

Magellan's sells a power strip the is 220 and has American outlets.

debygety.jpg

gatu7e4y.jpg

Will this work?

Thanks....Marieze

I have this and it works great on ships.

Hi Pam,

You are always quick with a reply and have been a wonderful source of information. Question on extention cords, will we need one in a balcony cabin on the Pacific Princess? Never needed one for the mini's? It's for the C-pap machine.

Thanks, Laura

It is a good idea to always bring your extension cord. You would not be happy if you didn't bring one and couldn't use your CPAP:(

I think I read somewhere that you can get an extension cord from your steward, but if that is correct, what would you do if he was out of stock?