Turnaround day.

bcscot

We are booked on a back to back with a long day on the turnaround day, (not leaving till after midnight). Will we have to attend the safety drill for the second cruise and if so, is it likely to be in the middle of that long turnaround day, or can we plan to be out all day and evening?

Thank you for your help with these questions. :)

We are booked on a back to back with a long day on the turnaround day, (not leaving till after midnight). Will we have to attend the safety drill for the second cruise and if so, is it likely to be in the middle of that long turnaround day, or can we plan to be out all day and evening?

Yes, you will be required to attend the safety drill for the second cruise. They are treated as separate cruises. You will receive instructions on what to do at the end of your first cruise. Each ship has its own procedures.

If your ship is sailing the same day you will need to be in time for the boat drill - typically around 4 PM. Otherwise it should just be like a normal port day for you - get off whenever you choose in the morning and spend the day as you wish. If you stay on board access to your cabin will be blocked from @ 10:30 Am until 1:30 Pm.

Thank you for your responses. It is a back to back out of Buenos Aires in Argentina. The ship arrives at 5am and leaves after midnight (possibly to let people go to a tango evening). It seems a shame to break up a long day in Buenos Aires with a trip back to the ship for the safety drill. I wonder if they would allow us to do it at a different time.

Realistically only the ship is going to be able to confirm what you can/can't do.

You may get a clue from looking at the ships shorex on both legs and see if they offer a full day trip for the turnaround day. Certainly Infinity did that at Valparaiso when I was on B2B March 2013.

HTH.

Out of interest which sailings are you on?

Edited by harz99

Thank you for your responses. It is a back to back out of Buenos Aires in Argentina. The ship arrives at 5am and leaves after midnight (possibly to let people go to a tango evening). It seems a shame to break up a long day in Buenos Aires with a trip back to the ship for the safety drill. I wonder if they would allow us to do it at a different time.

Haven't been to your port, but have done a number of B2Bs. The Muster Drill is usually scheduled after the required boarding time. There can always be exceptions based on local situations. However, Celebrity usually offers tours for those doing a B2B so you need not stay on the ship. In fact, very few actually stay on the ship. Private tours are always an option. Check the Roll Call for you cruise to learn what others are doing. Enjoy your cruise.

The good news is that you can get off that morning and treat it just like any other port day. Two items I would point out. We docked at 5:00 on the Infinity and they would not let anyone off until 8:00 (a port rule they said). Secondly, you will have to be back for muster but than could go back out again.

Thank you. We have never boarded a ship that left so late, before, so I don't know if they will have the lifeboat drill at the usual time, or not. It just seems a shame to break up such a long day in port and have to return to the ship in the afternoon. I suppose that the answer is that we will just have to arrange to go out again afterwards.

Our turnaround day is on the Infinity on 15th Feb. 2015.

A good number of pax who are not on the 2nd cruise of a B2B and who will be arriving at the departure city the day of sailing will likely be evening arrivals and they wouldn't schedule a boat drill before all pax were on board. Of all the cruises we've taken over the past few years, regardless of line or departure port, the boat drill has been just prior to "sail away" and departure.

A good number of pax who are not on the 2nd cruise of a B2B and who will be arriving at the departure city the day of sailing will likely be evening arrivals and they wouldn't schedule a boat drill before all pax were on board. Of all the cruises we've taken over the past few years, regardless of line or departure port, the boat drill has been just prior to "sail away" and departure.

Since we leave at 1am, that should be interesting! I wonder if the bar staff will come round to take drinks orders. :D

I was on a Hawaii cruise this year out of Ensenada, Mex. All passengers were bussed from San Diego, so passengers arrived all through the afternoon and evening. They had one muster drill around 4 pm for everyone who was on board at that time. There was a make-up drill later in the evening and I'm not sure but they may have had another one the next morning. So they don't always wait til everyone is on board.

Don't miss a tango show in the city. We saw Tango Porteno and it was wonderful.

Celebrity will advise you on the turnaround day. You will be able to take an excursion that day if you desire. We did one to Cambridge, UK on a turnaround day from Harwich.

If you are doing Around the Horn, it is great, one of our best.

Are you sure about that departure time as the following is what we see in the UK travel agents for departure of the 15th Feb 2015 sailing.

"Your Cruise Itinerary

15th Feb 2015

Buenos Aires

Depart 17:00

Birthplace of the Tango, and known as the Paris of the South, this cosmopolitan business center is rich in charm and culture. There are opera houses, museums and cathedrals that rival any in Europe. Puerto Madero, the city's oldest port, has been transformed into a vibrant restaurant and boutique center.

16th Feb 2015

At Sea

17th Feb 2015

At Sea

18th Feb 2015

At Sea

19th Feb 2015

Ushuaia

Arrive 10:00 - Depart 21:00"

Even the Celebrity UK site shows departure at 1700 as above (although confusingly also has another entry for BA with no times against it).

Don't worry about it. They hold a makeup muster drill the next day for any passengers who arrive late and miss the regular muster drill.

How do I know? We were late arriving for one cruise, and they went right ahead and started the muster drill without us.

How inconsiderate of them not to wait for us before they began. ;)

We have done a number of back-to-backs on Celebrity and were always told that we needed to attend the second muster drill.

But the last time we did a back-to-back on Royal Caribbean, they told us we did not need to attend the second one.

Either way, no problem.

They ARE saying that, aren't they! Our documents say 1am on the 16th and nobody told us of any changes. Mind you, I don't know if Celebrity themselves, really know what is going on. I telephoned the company today and asked about the boat drill. The lady, to whom I spoke, read her information and struggled to give me an answer. The only useful thing that she told me was that the rules stipulate that the drill has to be carried out within 24 hrs of departure, so a lifeboat drill next day would meet with the requirements. She then seemed to veer off into the realms of her imagination and told me that the drill could be called at any minute over a 24 hr period, so we shouldn't go anywhere during that period! :rolleyes:

Now I don't even know when we are supposed to leave! I wonder if I should call them again! Maybe they should have told me on the phone today, if there had been a change. :confused:

Now I don't even know when we are supposed to leave! I wonder if I should call them again! Maybe they should have told me on the phone today, if there had been a change. :confused:

Celebrity's US website is still currently showing the 5:00 PM departure time for the Infinity from Buenos Aires, Argentina on Feb.15, 2015.

But the important thing is to check again as the departure date draws closer because the cruise is still a long way off. They may change it again between now and then.

Certainly 1700 or 5pm is the "normal" time of departure from BA for Infinity.

That is why I asked the OP which sailing they were on way back in the thread. The ship then has a long way to sail before its first port at Ushuaia and is not scheduled there until 10am after 3 days at sea.

I doubt that it will leave as late as midnight.

There is a discount cruise vacations website out there which is a good place to go for information, (which I use but will not be able to name on here), that still lists the departure time as 1am on 16th Feb. The 1st Feb. sailing has always been 5pm.

There is a discount cruise vacations website out there which is a good place to go for information, (which I use but will not be able to name on here), that still lists the departure time as 1am on 16th Feb. The 1st Feb. sailing has always been 5pm.

There is also another US vacations site which is having a burning cracker;) sale at the moment which shows departure on 15th at 5pm.

Maybe worth trying Captains Club for their view?