Am I ok getting to the port on cruise day?

Izabo

So funny with threads like these that posters totally ignore the OP's request for positive day of embarkation flight stories. She already indicated she can't change her plans, so why waste time with the horror stories?

I'm planning on taking an early morning flight the same day for a September cruise. There are 4 flights I can take afterwards in case of any delays. I've flown SWA for years (not Air Tran) and not had any major delays. In fact, they usually land early at my destination points.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Haha! Thanks! I really was looking to hear some positive experiences not the horror stories. Your experience and hearing that many cruisers r at the airport heading out to the cruise port were perfect. It may not b the best choice, but at least I know we're not the only risk takers out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So funny with threads like these that posters totally ignore the OP's request for positive day of embarkation flight stories. She already indicated she can't change her plans, so why waste time with the horror stories?

I'm planning on taking an early morning flight the same day for a September cruise. There are 4 flights I can take afterwards in case of any delays. I've flown SWA for years (not Air Tran) and not had any major delays. In fact, they usually land early at my destination points.

Trixiegal,

You're lucky you live in Baltimore, one of Southwest's largest cities in terms of flights. The OP is in Ohio and the "end" of the system with only, possibly, one back up option.

Haha! Thanks! I really was looking to hear some positive experiences not the horror stories. Your experience and hearing that many cruisers r at the airport heading out to the cruise port were perfect. It may not b the best choice, but at least I know we're not the only risk takers out there.

Izabo, I have 17 years as a business travel consultant and manager with a major business travel company and the odds are good you'll leave Ohio and arrive in Florida right on time, after the connection to the Southwest/AirTran flight that leaves Atlanta at 8:45 am (I did not see any single-plane Southwest service that would put you in Fort Lauderdale at 10:40am.)

However, since you say you are a risk-taker please allow me to outline some of the risks:

1) Weather delay of 1 hour out of Ohio causes you to miss you connection in Atlanta. There is probably only 1 back-up flight from Atlanta that would get you there on time.

2) Weather delay in Atlanta can cause your flight to depart so late as to miss your ship.

3) Weather delay at the airport where your AirTran Florida flight is coming from can cause your flight to depart so late as to miss your ship.

4) A mechanical/operational delay in Ohio could result in your not even being able to depart Ohio. In that case you could "abandon" your Southwest flight and go with another airline at you own cost but will you be prepared to pay the "walk-up" price and will you have enough time to get your bags from Southwest and check in with the 2nd airline. Also, will Southwest allow you to take your return flights if you "abandon" your outbound flight

5) Let's say your flight is delayed but you "just make it" to your connecting flight. Will your bags make it? You could wind up in Fort Lauderdale without bags. So you board the ship with the clothes you are wearing and whatever is in your carry-on. You can always hit the gift shop to supplement.

6) So you missed the ship and decide not to go. Do you have comprehensive travel insurance to cover this situation so you at least recoup a percentage of your cruise cost? I don't believe Southwest nor Celebrity is going to cover your loss.

7) So, you missed the ship and want to catch up with it. Will Celebrity let you do this? Do you have passports? Because the airline you travel on will not let you board the international flight without one. Once again, do you have enough funds to cover the "walk-up" fare?

Izabo, I do believe that you will you have no problems but knowing the risks makes a better prepared traveler.

hmm, I would only fly in same day if it's a non-stop flight, and then only with a large margin of extra time. I arrived 5 HOURS late for my trip to Coppenhagen so was very glad I didn't leave that day. but my brothers flew in non-stop that same morning and no problemo.

no way in heck would I risk it. a redeye( nonstop) that arrives by 8 am.. MAYBE,

Have done this every year and sometimes twice a year for many years on the redeye from LAX-FLL and that redeye lands at 6:30am...even on the rare occasion we have connected through ATL we still arrive before 10:00am...Most on these boards may/will never have to make this decision on travel..but many of us do. Do whatever works out for your personal needs..Chances are you'll be fine as many of us have been.

Izabo, I understand where you're coming from here, but you did ask for POSITIVE stories for a reason. I wish I could reassure you, but the fact is, there are all kinds of variables (weather, mechanical issues, air traffic/computer problems, etc) that can come together and make same day travel to a cruise a very tricky proposition.

So--here's what you do. Make sure you are traveling with a valid passport in case you have to get to another country. Have a back up plan for travel to your next port of call in case the ship leaves you. Get really good travel insurance. Some of your added expenses catching up *MAY* be covered.

I really do wish you good luck and a hassle free/on time flight...but I do agree with Keith1010. The first time you miss the ship flying in same day, you will never do this again.

Most posters indicated that OP could make the embarkation - but were simply being realistic in discussing downside - rather than just blowing sunshine.

The fact is, very few things (such as flying in a day early) are "impossible"; rather they are simply not as desired. Very often being presented with facts helps people re-define what is really "impossible". Missing a sailing would certainly re-define OP's concept of "impossible" when considering future cruises.

I also posted that we have had positive experiences going the day of the cruise.

I also mentioned the need for travel insurance. I am surprised that no one else has mentioned that.

We usually fly the same day if sailing out of the U.S (FLL or LAX). However, we try to stick with non-stop flights.

If push comes to shove, you can always fly into Miami instead of FLL (like if they have to put you on a different flight). I think it's only about 45 minutes away from Port Everglades.

OP mentioned that she could fly in 2 days before but she preferred not to do this because she would be away 2 weekend.

Look at the on-time statistics of the flights you are taking (and in November is possible) and that will give you your risk. The risk is probably small, but I would not want to be in the delayed end of those statistics. Most people who take cruise air come in the day of the flight and they make the cruise. However, there are always a few who miss the ship and we hear those stories on the ship or on these boards.

Since you have to change flights, you have the additional issue that a delay in the first flight has you missing the second flight. You did not tell us how long your layover is. I would try to pack in carryons.

We always fly in the day before on a non-stop flight from NJ. Just recently our flight was delayed 3 hours. If we had been coming in the day of the cruise we would have missed the ship. They did not give us the option of the next flights which left before ours. Our luggage was on the plane anyway. On our other 5 flights into FLL we would have made the ship. We always see people talking about changing their flight if there is a problem, but you should know that at least where I live a)flights have been going out full and b)you usually do not know how long the delay is until it is too late to do anything about it.

Just an interesting story that I will add here that has nothing to do with this question. After our cruise to England in May we took a land tour to Scotland. One of the couples on our tour took 48 hours traveling. Their plane from Charlotte NC was cancelled and they were put on a flight to DC to catch a flight to NY to catch a flight to London. At that point they had enough time to go home and repack into carryons. When they got to DC, they were told that while there were seats, the plane was too heavy. The airline put them on a flight to Miami to catch another flight. I think they had to go from Miami to NY the next day, but there were no seats from DC to NY the next day that would get them to NY on time. When they finally got to London, they had missed the beginning of the tour and they had to take a train to York to catch up with the tour.

By the way, our flight from England to NJ was delayed 3 hours because of a weather delay in NJ (in May) and incoming flight was late. And one person on our cruise said her husband missed the transatlantic because they closed the airport in Chicago because of a fire.

Does anyone have positive stories about getting to the port on time when taking a flight to the port city the day of embarkation? We are taking a Celebrity cruise in mid-November out of Ft Lauderdale, booked on a Southwest flight from Ohio scheduled to arrive at 10:40AM (makes 1 stop). I have heard and read all the scary stories and the reasons people stay overnight the day before, but we have other complications that make it impossible for us to travel the day before, which means 2 nights in a hotel and 2 weekends away from the kids instead of 1. Please share your positive stories with me so I'll stop worrying.

I would personally NOT do this but I am very organized and panic easily. My daughter on the other hand, She went with a girl scout troop several years ago, The leader takes her whole troop every other year. they fundraise for 2 years so they pay nothing out of pocket. Anyway, they always fly down the day of the cruise and just get on the ship. BUT, the year my daughter went, the plane had to make an emergency stop because a guy had a heart attack on the plane. They were not late and did not miss the ship but, it could have happened.

Just FYI Have a good cruise!!

I am another one who has flown many times into FLL the day of the cruise. If you look at my list of cruises I could probably count on one hand the number I've gone a day ahead and usually that's because of jet lag. NEVER been delayed for a cruise. Other times, yes. I could tell stories last spring trying to get LA for a conference (supposed to arrive at noon and actually arrived at 10pm). Talk about risky, I flew to Australia and arrived day of sailing.

Would I do it today with fewer planes and more passengers? - I have to say yes. I did it last month to Quebec City.

Have a great cruise! :-)

I considered flying in the same day for our cruise that departs from San Juan next week, especially since it doesn't leave until 10pm at night. However, I reconsidered because you also have to plan for what happens if you make it, but your luggage doesn't???? If you have a buffer (by flying in the day before), you're luggage will probably show up by the time the cruise leaves the next day. If you fly in on same day, that doesn't leave much wiggle room!

I think of this because the first cruise we went on back in 2008, one of our suitcases didn't show up. Now luckily, we did fly in the day before so the airline delivered it to the hotel in the middle of the night. And let me tell you I didn't sleep a wink until it showed up! Of course, it was MY suitcase with all my clothes for the week.

It really just gives you peace of mind by flying in a day or two prior. Again, like others have said it will probably be fine - but who wants another thing to stress about???

Our first 3 cruises, we flew in day of - the first two were out of Chicago and one was in November and we had no problem making it to the ship with plenty of time to spare. That November trip was fun because it was cold and dreary with snow predicted, but by the time we got to Miami, we were stripping off clothes and sweating! Boy were there some jealous people back home! The biggest difference was we were on a direct flight (mainly because I HATE connecting flights and try to avoid them at all costs!).

If you can at least change your flight to a direct flight, you may feel a little more comfortable about flying in the day of. It would certainly eliminate any problems you may have especially if you are flying thru Atlanta and have to switch planes - I live here and I hate Hartsfield! You may also want to look at "red eye" options - is there one that leaves late say Friday night with a connection in Atlanta that gets you to FL earlier than 10:40AM? You would still get to spend the majority of the day with your kids and while you may be tired, maybe you could either find a hotel with a day room option so you can get a little nap before heading to port.

Our last 2 (and our next one), we have flown in a day early and I have to say I much prefer that. I was definitely much more relaxed by the time we got to the ship. If I had young kids, I don't know that I would do this, but my kids are now 18 & 14 and so we have a little more luxury of flying in the day before.

We like to fly down the day before a cruise. Once in a blue moon it doesn't work out that we can do it and I'll book an early morning flight to Fort Lauderdale. Fortunately we've always made it without any delays. These days, however, you are not only counting on no delays at your airport, but no major delays in the system.

The most recently we flew in the day of a cruise was December 2011. I booked us a direct flight on Southwest. We were at the pier before noon. Once we had a connecting flight in Orlando and our luggage did not make it. Fortunately we were staying overnight before that cruise, and Southwest delivered our luggage to our hotel during the night.

If you have to fly down the day of the cruise, make sure you have good insurance that will pay to catch you up with your ship if you miss it.

My first 3 cruises I flew in the morning of, for a late afternoon sailaway. I took direct flights with airlines that had multiple later flights in case something happened to the first one.

But that was in 2003-2009. These days, with most every flight full, I'm not sure what my chances of actually getting on a later flight with my family would be. Does anyone have any experience with that?

Will you make the cruise - probably. Is there a reasonable option to pick up the cruise at the next port if you get there too late - no. Are the odds worse with a 1 stop flight - yes - twice as high. Are the odds worse in November - yes but better than if you are flying out of Chicago in January.

Essentially, you pays your money and you takes your chances. The only time I have ever flown on the day of a cruise was when we flew from Vegas to Seattle. We took the very first flight of the day. We did not fly SW because they do not put you on flights by other airlines. It was summer time.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

What about when driving to port??

Live in CT. , driving to Boston day of....

WE both have to work day before and driving that night would be tiresome...

3 hour drive or so, leaving at 6:00 am.... day of ,taking into consideration traffic and all I don't foresee any other problems that can occur.... Car trouble maybe...

:confused:

Pay close attention to the layover times. Southwest keeps scheduling 25 minute layovers for various flights we take to NOLA. In November, you could run into deicing delays. Then you can wave goodbye to your connecting flight.

The reason for stating the reasons why many of us think her plans are not a good idea is because if you've been an active member of Cruise Critic for some time, you've seen many reports of people who missed getting to the ship on time because of their flights. And many of us may know someone personally who has missed a cruise because of travel plans.

A couple of cruises ago, about 200 people missed getting to our ship because of a problem with a flight from the UK due to weather conditions there and weather conditions here in LA. And they might not have been allowed to fly on to Hawaii to catch the rest of the cruise for the last week of it due to the PVSA.

Next March will be my first cruise, but I've watched first my fiancé and then later his parents have close calls due to flight issues - and both of those situations occurred when they were flying the day BEFORE!

No way I would risk it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've not read all the responses so I hope I'm not duplicating -- but I probably am.

To me it all depends on the port and the amount of flights able to reach the port -- or worst-case scenario: drive to the port. I would never risk it on an international port; but since you said Fort Lauderdale, there's probably any number of ways to get there. If it were me, I'd go up the night before and stay in a hotel (if it was too far of a drive from your home, if something goes wrong.) There's no way I'd be able to relax if something happened and it was touch and go if I'd make the port on time. Not a great way to start a vacation.