Celebrity Cruises - dropped ball on our 50th

mistershine

If it were me and recognition of our wedding anniversary were that important, I would have made what ever romantic arrangements I could and personally followed through on my own to arrange a special dinner in a specialty restuarant, contact the Matre'D, get flowers and champaign etc... That's what happened on our Reflection Med cruise last week. The Husband arranged for all sorts of events for his wife during the day. It was quite a sight.

It seems to me that there were unrealistic expectations of an "entitlement" to be recognized by Celebrity that were created by the TA. I have to agree, it seems the beef is really with the TA.

Thank you for the follow-up details. After hearing all these stories, I'll make sure not to have any hopes for my 60th birthday celebration on our TA next year. And I'll let my husband know so he can start planning a way to make it all better for me.

Congratulations on fifty years of marriage! My husband and I sail every year to celebrate our anniversary ( although never on the actual day as I am usually still in my classroom :)). When we first started cruising we would receive a small cake one night in the MDR, with wait staff singing. This was often repeated at other tables throughout the cruise. Although it was a lovely gesture, we rarely ate the cake, and we have noticed the appearance of singing waitstaff and cakes has diminished over the years.

This year we will celebrate thirty years of marriage ( thirty-five years together). We started a tradition a long time ago of taking champagne up to the top deck at sunset and celebrating- just us- because for us that's what matters. I hope you enjoy many more years of marriage. My parents and my husband's parents recently celebrated sixty years of marriage, beautiful milestones that we hope to someday enjoy simply by being together.

Happy sailing :)

I have found that celebrations aboard Celebrity ships are happening less and less. Last September was my DH's 60th birthday. I told the agent when we booked that the day we boarded was his 60th birthday and I wanted to celebrate the next night (since the first night is always so unorganized). I even mentioned it to our waiter. Nothing!!! Good thing it was a 2 week cruise, after mentioning it 3 times to the waiter we finally got a small cake the second to the last night of the cruise.

You could have just as easily purchased a cake from Celebrity if it were that important. They offer up a very nice small selection of cakes that are very good. Cruise lines have moved away from offering up cakes due to so many people claiming some type celebration.

3 years ago we celebrated my 50th on solstice....dh paid for a cake that was never delivered in murano...THANK GOD....we NEVER could have eaten it....celebrity was so apologetic that they comped us the next night in tuscan grill.... 6 of us....we never ASKED for anything except for them to refund the money paid for the cake ...

I don't believe that the OPs did anything wrong in this case. They are not experienced Celebrity cruisers and counted on the expertise of their TA. As I said before, and won't say again, they were led to believe by their TA that there would be something special for them. When nothing was done they believed that it was Celebrity's fault. They weren't displaying any sense of entitlement, they just wanted what they believed was promised. A promise that the TA made and was not in a position to deliver. What the TA could deliver, they didn't. End of story.

Hi, & welcome to Cruise Critic. Also, congratulations on your 50th wedding anniversary. I am sorry that, for whatever reason, Celebrity seems to have dropped the ball regarding your anticipated celebration, although I have to say, it appears that your TA may be more responsible.

Having said that, & having celebrated our 50th anniversary very recently aboard Celebrity Silhouette, I would, if I may, give you some advice. Remember your cruise not for the disappointing last day, but for the days before, when you were lucky enough to share another wonderful experience with your spouse, & that you are both in good enough health to add that experience to 50 years of other fond memories. When we booked our cruise, we said it was for our 50th, but in the end, we barely thought of our milestone during the cruise, but enjoyed one of our favorite cruises, & just added it to many, many other great memories we have accumulated throughout the years. Life is short.

Hope that you can enjoy many more cruises, on any cruise line.

It is disappointing when our hopes go unfulfilled. Sounds like there was a major mis-communication between your TA and you. Celebrity does offer various honeymoon/anniversary packages. One from the Celebrity website:

For the ultimate honeymoon or anniversary celebration, indulge with Celebrity's Premium Package. In your plush Celebrity robes and slippers, enjoy a mimosa breakfast for two in bed. In the evening, savor an exquisite specialty dining experience before retiring to your stateroom. At turndown, enjoy rose petals sprinkled on the bed. Delight in chocolate dipped strawberries and toast your Perrier Jouet champagne to the future.

Anyway, thanks for bringing up the topic. We are celebrating our 25th anniversary on our upcoming cruise, and I will gleefully point DH to a few of the posts discussed in this topic :)

First, I want to say that this post isn't really directed to the original poster, but is advice for others who are here that might have a cruise with a special occasion in the future. The OP's cruise is over and their expectations were not met. It is too bad this happened for such a significant occasion and I just hope that they had a fantastic anniversary cruise overall.

From what I've seen and read over the years it is very chancy, and inconsistent, that any special occasions noted on your reservation will be directed to the proper people on board and even it if is there is a good chance it will get away from them.

If anyone is having a special occasion they would like recognition for then I'd suggest they, or someone on their behalf, discuss it with guest relations as soon as they are on board and find out what if anything the cruise line does to recognize the occasion.

If you are expecting something in the dining room, such as a small cake or a group of waiters singing Hoppy Bird Day or Hoppy Anniversary, then I'd mention it in advance to your assistant Maiitre d' or one of the restaurant managers as well as your waiter (if you have the same one every night) and to the same person and/or your waiter on the night of the Celebration. Sometimes they remember without this but sometimes it gets by them.

Should they follow up on this without reminders if it is noted on your reservation? Yes they should. But the fact is that anything special, or out of the ordinary in any way, on a reservation note is not always communicated or remembered on board and people need to follow up to make sure such things happen. Same thing for dining requests, special diets and anything else of that nature. Do not rely on them remembering, even from one night to the next, without double checking.

I don't believe that the OPs did anything wrong in this case. They are not experienced Celebrity cruisers and counted on the expertise of their TA. As I said before, and won't say again, they were led to believe by their TA that there would be something special for them. When nothing was done they believed that it was Celebrity's fault. They weren't displaying any sense of entitlement, they just wanted what they believed was promised. A promise that the TA made and was not in a position to deliver. What the TA could deliver, they didn't. End of story.

Good point about the TA promising things. Unfortunately the TA, like many cruisers, presumed that there is better follow up on reservation notes than there actually is.

Edited by Lsimon

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Congratulations on your 50th wedding anniversary! My partner and I have been married 7 years and I can only hope we live to celebrate our 50th!

I think the whole experience was quite unfortunate. I do agree that since the offering originated from your TA, they should shoulder the blame or at least explain what arrangements they made and where Celebrity dropped the ball. I would think at the very least they would have arranged for a bottle of bubbly to be delivered. Everything aside, the best advice I ever heard on here was not to wait until after your cruise has ended to complain. I see it would be tough in this instance since it was the last night, but I can only wonder what Celebrity might have done had you brought it to their attention while still onboard. On our last cruise, my hubby celebrated his birthday and our butler arranged for a birthday cake after dinner in Tuscan Grill. I knew it was going to happen because I had mentioned it to him ahead of time, but had it not happened, I would of had no problem saying something. In the end, something will always go differently than expected on any vacation. I have accepted I can't control that but I can control whether I let it 'ruin' my vacation. Any day at sea is better than a day on land :)

My wife and I recently took the Solstice out of Seattle, on a very enjoyable Alaska cruise.

We had a great 6 days - everything was excellent.

The 7th/last day ended up being a huge letdown - ruining the cruise.

Our 50th wedding anniversary was supposed to be celebrated that night,

and absolutely nothing was done.

Thank you - Rich

It is a pity you are disappointed and Celebrity could have done more BUT

when you say the trip was ruined by this, I have to wonder about your attitude.

In the future, I hope everything works out perfectly so these trips will not be ruined.

Edited by richstowe

Their apologies have been less than sincere.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this ?

I am very disappointed that they dropped the ball on a major event,

and perhaps more angered that they are just brushing it off lightly.

Like its no big deal, sorry...

Thank you - Rich

You have said that their apologies have been less than sincere, at this point in time, exactly what do you want from Celebrity other than an apology?

In the future make sure you get everything in writing and reconfirm with the Maitr'd upon boarding as well as the day it occurs. Unfortunately, with current staffing levels it's easy for the crew to "drop the ball" because they are spread too thin at times. That's still no excuse. IMO...The sad situation is that as long as something is not a "profit center" for the cruise line; they might not put a priority on it like if you had ordered an anniversary celebration package, etc. My feeling is it was just an unfortunate oversight by the crew. But from your perspective it was an very important celebration and milestone in your lives which you would be loved to have acknowledged by the crew. Sorry this didn't happened to you.

It is my 50th birthday on my next cruise, as I do all the planning I will be ordering the cake for my birthday on line with celebrity to celebrate my birthday, no way am I leaving it up to Celebirty to maybe get me a cake. Sorry that you did not get a cake ruined your cruise, I would blame your TA not celebrity.

Yes, celebrity dropped the ball...but in fairness, so many fib about their life event (anniversary,retirement,birthday) that it's almost impossible for the ship to acknowledge all of them. Your anniversary actually fell within the cruise, so you expected some special recognition....but understand there were probably 200 others who had an anniversary some other time during the year and claimed it was during the cruise. I can't imagine Celebrity recognizing events when 1/2 the ship says they have a special event during the cruise.

Sorry you felt slighted, but I think your fellow passengers are partially to blame for the situation. In truth, I think celebrity should stop asking if someone is celebrating a special events....if they can't handle it (and they can't), then don't set expectations by asking.

Yes, celebrity dropped the ball...but in fairness, so many fib about their life event (anniversary,retirement,birthday) that it's almost impossible for the ship to acknowledge all of them. I can't imagine Celebrity recognizing events when 1/2 the ship says they have a special event during the cruise.

Sorry you felt slighted, but I think your fellow passengers are partially to blame for the situation. In truth, I think celebrity should stop asking if someone is celebrating a special events....if they can't handle it (and they can't), then don't set expectations by asking.

Good point! My parents celebrated their 50th last year, and the year before

and the year before as they have for the last 7 years. :o

I agree with most of what you said, and thank you for the anniversary wishes, and yes - it is a milestone.

What I don't agree with, is that I wanted something special, I should pay for it.

Nothing "special" was offered.

We didn't ask if they did anything, the TA offered the recognition.

Sorry, I have to disagree - they did drop the ball.

If it is not a guarantee, why do the TA's ask/offer ?

Life is too short, and eventually I will get past it - someday...

Half the TAs have never even been on the ship.

I think TA's misinform people "sometimes" as they are so excited to be making the sale they get carried away with the promises.......

My wife and I recently took the Solstice out of Seattle, on a very enjoyable Alaska cruise.

A real disappointment.

I have had some contact with representatives of Celebrity/Royal Carribean

since the cruise, but they have no explanation as to why this happened, except to say there is NO GUARANTEE that any celebration will happen for any occassion such as our 50th.

Thank you - Rich

Did you "remind them" it was your 50th when you boarded?

A real disappointment.

I have had some contact with representatives of Celebrity/Royal Carribean

since the cruise, but they have no explanation as to why this happened, except to say there is NO GUARANTEE that any celebration will happen for any occassion such as our 50th.

Thank you - Rich

WOW... Ruining your cruise you say... A real disappointment you say... They dropped the ball on a major event you say...

Well firstly the ship I would guess had over 2800 other people to consider on your cruise that I'm sure could come up with a good reason to have the captain say happy birthday/congratulations/welcome on your first cruise/well done on still still being able to walk etc etc... So the fact you didn't get a special mention or a 2 bob cake for your 50th isn't really such a big deal is it?

Surely your 50th is a special occasion for you to enjoy and to be honest I doubt anyone else is bothered unless they are your friends...

I guess I will get a world of abuse but I live in a time of freedom of speech so I'm just giving my opinion on what I feel could well be one on the most over reaction statements I have ever heard!

Have you arranged for the president to call you on your 60th yet... I have heard he gets booked up well in advance so you might want to get on with that!

It is a pity you are disappointed and Celebrity could have done more BUT

when you say the trip was ruined by this, I have to wonder about your attitude.

In the future, I hope everything works out perfectly so these trips will not be ruined.

To the OP, I'm sorry you have to read posts like this that put the blame on you and your attitude. I and it sounds like most posters here would also have been quite disappointed. The consensus seems to be that much of the fault lies with your TA, who promised something he/she could not guarantee, and then added nothing to acknowledge your onboard occasion (wine, specialty dining, flowers, whatever.) Please take the advice of confirming occasions while on the ship as a friendly reminder to upcoming cruisers. And I hope you feel a little better to know that Celebrity did not slight you personally but seem to be scaling back their celebrations. The TA should not have given you false hope for something that would make you feel special. But I don't think that your attitude was the issue when your TA promised something that was not delivered and did not tell you about the option of purchasing an anniversary package (so many things have a charge these days that once upon a time were complimentary !)

Edited by cynbar

Last year on the Reflection I told our waiter that the next day was my wife's birthday. Prior to dessert that next day they brought a small cake and about 6 dining room staff came over and sang 'Happy Birthday'. Back in the room that night my wife said, don't ever do that again :rolleyes:. Also, anyone who fibbed to get that small cake, let me tell you, the desserts on the menu are better :).