Is Cagneys really good?

missdorado26

Considering getting the ultimate dining package for 3 days and wanted to know what chain restaurant Cagneys is more like? And For the UDP can we eat at specialty restaurants for breakfast and lunch or just dinner? Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

If you are talking about your upcoming Bermuda cruise from Boston (I looked at your previous posts), you need to purchase the package for the whole duration of the cruise, so you can't get it for only 3 days.

Also yes, Cagney's is really good. UDP only covers dinners in speciality restaurants -breakfast and lunch served in Cagney's are for suite passengers only and have nothing to do with Cagney's dinner menu.

Edited by Demonyte

Food is subjective, but to us, Cagney's is a really crappy steak house. Our dinner there on the Jewel a few years ago was one of the worst meals we've ever had, anywhere. Mediocre quality food, badly prepared.

Le Bistro, OTOH, is excellent.

Have a great cruise.

That's too subjective. Some really like it, some don't. We've eaten in one twice. The atmosphere and service was fine, and nothing wrong with the steaks. However, I like the ones I grill at home better. But, you might not like the way I season them. So... too subjective. We prefer Le Bistro.

It depends. I've had excellent meals and so-so. Watch how you order steaks. Rare is closer to blue. Truffle fries I didn't like, even though tons of people love them. I love the wedge bleu cheese salad. Had a filet mignon that was a bit grisly once but other times truly perfect to die for. My advice is to try it and you'll probably be very happy you did.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Husband is an ex butcher, and he declared the ribeyes he had in Cagney's one of the best he has ever had. (Two visits on our b2b on the Jade, January 2014). My rack of lamb was pretty good, but not great. Shrimp cocktail was too mushy, salads were nice, sides were fine. Dont remember desert. Service was outstanding!

The lamb shank in the MDR was very good. Otherwise, it was 21 days of unmemorable, bland meals from the buffet and MDR.

VERY well put - that it's like what you'd get on Celebrity or Holland 10-15 years ago in terms of quality, service, and atmosphere. If you're travelling the Dawn in summer, I think the package is worth it to be able to avoid the crowds and noise in the main dining rooms and the food is of better quality. Similar to other posters, my favorite is LeBistro, Cagney's second place, and Moderno's at 3rd. I haven't tried the other specialty restaurants.

Cagney's was definitely my favorite food of the specialty restaurants. It was certainly better than an Outback, but definitely not the best filet I've ever had, yet I loved it. The service was terrible, the steak temps were perfect... The fries were fries. The lettuce wedge was a lettuce wedge. Don't get over-excited about it or anything, but it's worth a visit if you're on UDP.

IMHO Cagneys is definitely worth the money. Although I have not been there since they upped the charge to $30 and changed the menu. My wife is from Argentina and we are very picky when it comes to steak. If I buy steak to grill, I get it from a place here in Miami that sells to restaurant. They have grass fed beef from Uruguay. It is primo!

We love Cagneys and eat there TWICE on every cruise. Maybe we have been lucky but we never had a bad meal there. I have to laugh out loud when people call Outback a steakhouse chain. That is too funny. When I think of steak, I don't think Outback or Dennys.

I did not like how they changed the fries several years ago. They used to have the best french fries until the change :(

We just ate at Cagney's on the Spirit, and I would agree that it is just ok. I wouldn't personally spend 30 dollars a person to eat there again. The steaks were good, like at Outback or Tahoe Joe's, and I liked that I could get the wedge salad with vinaigrette dressing instead of ranch. But I didn't like either of my side dishes - the garlic mashed potatoes had way too much garlic in them, and the rice pilaf had big chunks of onion in it. Also my filet mignon was coated in black pepper flakes, even though I didn't order it "au poivre". If you like your steakhouse food spicy, you might enjoy it.

Also my filet mignon was coated in black pepper flakes, even though I didn't order it "au poivre". If you like your steakhouse food spicy, you might enjoy it.

Did you return the steak if you didn't like how they had seasoned it? I have never gotten a spicy filet mignon in Cagney's and I've eaten 5-6 of them this year on three different ships.

Edited by Demonyte

Cagney's was also my favorite. Excellent steak, cooked perfectly for my taste. Service was wonderful. Can't think of a chain they'd be similar to. Definitely much better than Outback, Longhorns and restaurants of that ilk. Not quite as good as Mortons or Ruth's Chris, though. Probably somewhere in between.

They were really quite willing to cook any steak I wanted, in any way I wanted, seasoned how I wanted. Got one that was just a shade too well done for me (I usually order mine medium rare). Steak was still great, but I only asked our waiter how they describe their different ways of cooking steak so I would know when I came back again. He explained it to me, and then quizzed me about how I defined the different "doneness" of steaks. I did. Several minutes later, with no prompting from me, here comes a brand new steak, cooked perfectly the way I liked it.

Edited by graphicguy

My husband loved the steaks he's had at Cagney's.

From another perspective, I am a pescetarian (I eat fish but neither red meat nor poultry) and thought the sea bass I had at Cagney's was phenomenal.

I like Cagneys. The steaks are good, but it's the service and atmosphere that I enjoy the most. I much prefer a quiet dining experience, very much unlike the MDR and buffet which can both mimic the noise level of a daycare center at times.

My son had a sirloin (I think) at Cagneys that had a big piece of gristle right through the center. Our waiter seen him struggling with it and pretty much insisted that he take it back and get another. Which he did.

Yes, things like that should be caught before it ever reaches the table, but meh, I live in the real world and understand how things like that can happen in any restaurant anywhere in the world.

Every steak I've ever had there has been done perfectly. I like the rib-eyes myself (more natural flavour, imho) and the filet is always practically fork tender. Their fries are good, not great, but very good for soaking up the steak juice left on my plate. (side note: La Cucina on the Epic had the best rib-eye steak I've ever had.)

Great. Now I'm starving.

It's worth the $30, if you ask me. That fee weeds out the "I'll have it well done and make sure we have lots of ketchup" crowd. ;)

Edited by rajones007

I like the steak in LeBistro just as much and the surcharge is $10 less. On the Jade last week we could not get a reservation in LeBistro on the last two nights so we are at Cagneys. The food was delicious, but I ordered my filet mignon encrusted in blue cheese. They gave me a steak topped with blue cheese dressing. I scraped it off and enjoyed the red wine sauce and the mushroom side I had ordered. Other than that, DH and I had an excellent meal. Our starters were shrimp cocktail and crab salad. Both were delicious. We each had the wedge. I had creme brullee for dessert. It was fabulous. My husband had something with chocolate.

We ate in Cagney's in May on the Sun. The service was nice and the sides were good. The steaks were done as requested, one was medium rare (strip)and the other was medium (ribeye). We have had better steaks at Outback, Logan's, Longhorn, etc. Good but not wonderful. We went because we had OBC left over. We would not go again unless we had the OBC.

I thought that Cagney's on the Norwegian Spirit a few years ago was quite good but my wife disagreed and indicated that she much preferred the food in Le Bistro. We will be on the Dawn next month and will have an opportunity to check out both. However, we are proof positive that tastes among people can vary considerably so it is just as likely that our opinions on the relative merits of both dining venues will differ. Since we will be in a suite on Dawn we will have a number of opportunities to judge the food in Cagney's at breakfast and lunch as well as dinner.