FTTF--becoming not worth it

bingomamma19

I have bought FTTF for my last 2 cruises. I do it because I do not like dragging my luggage around until the rooms are ready and I like to relax and eat on my balcony-away from the crowds.

On this last cruise, I was talking to people in the area we check in and so many were saying that they dont wait until after 1:30 to go to their rooms, they just go. So, when I got on board, i noticed that the doors to the hallways were open, nobody there to check anyones cards (platinum or FTTF) to be able to be there early. Nobody stopped me to ask to see anything either on our way to the room(we were back a forth a few times before the rooms were officialy available) (this was the Breeze on 7/5/14)

This makes me think that I shouldnt even waste the money on this in the future--thats the only benefit I even look for out of the program.

I know on previous cruises, the doors were closed to the hallways and there were stewards there that explained people couldnt go there yet. (unless fttf or platinum etc)

I have bought FTTF for my last 2 cruises. I do it because I do not like dragging my luggage around until the rooms are ready and I like to relax and eat on my balcony-away from the crowds.

On this last cruise, I was talking to people in the area we check in and so many were saying that they dont wait until after 1:30 to go to their rooms, they just go. So, when I got on board, i noticed that the doors to the hallways were open, nobody there to check anyones cards (platinum or FTTF) to be able to be there early. Nobody stopped me to ask to see anything either on our way to the room(we were back a forth a few times before the rooms were officialy available) (this was the Breeze on 7/5/14)

This makes me think that I shouldnt even waste the money on this in the future--thats the only benefit I even look for out of the program.

I know on previous cruises, the doors were closed to the hallways and there were stewards there that explained people couldnt go there yet. (unless fttf or platinum etc)

we have almost never waited more than 10 to 15 minutes after checking in, to board. Rooms are typically open by noonish.

The only reason I could see buying FTTF is for priority tendering, but just get there early, and you can avoid that line too.

For me, its a complete waste of money.

If you read the threads on CC, esp. for CCL, you should know that many people either flout the cruise line rules or look for loopholes to get around them. Please don't join them. If you see no value to FTTF, then don't purchase it, instead use the $$$ to have a DOD while you wait for the open doors. We can descry boorish behavior, but we don't have to become part of it. That's what makes civilizations great.

Edited by evandbob

Which deck were you on? Did this happen only on your cabin deck? Or did you notice or hear that all cabins were available earlier than 1:30 on this particular cruise? Might have been an error.

However, if you do not wish to pay for FTTF and aren't up to platinum status, the way to avoid the cabin wait is to NOT get to the terminal prior to 1 PM. Then by the time you are on the ship, the cabins will definitely be open. And there will still be plenty of food for you to grab and take back to your balcony. Remember you don't have to hit the main buffet lines, other venues are open too. And aft buffet lines or specialty lines like Tandoori or Pasta tend to be shorter as many cruisers stop at the first place they come to or the line nearest where they find a table.

Sorry for your experience, but this will be our second cruise with FTTF. The first cruise on the Breeze last summer, we got to the port super early, we boarded just behind Diamond, Platinum and weddings. We were onboard before 11:30. Our room was ready when we boarded, we explored a little, and upon return all our luggage with the exception of 1 bag was at the room. I went to the dedicated Diamond/Plat/F2F line at GS, which had no line compared to the regular line to "complain" and shortly after I went back to my room the bag was there (torn tag, no biggie, even though I was hyped at the time). We didn't have tenders for our ports that cruise, but will so this one. I have been extremely happy with the FTTF service in the past, and will continue to use it.

On my Pride cruise this year, I experienced the same issue. Everyone's luggage arrived in their rooms at the same time mine did and everyone appeared to be allowed access to their rooms at the same time I was.

I personally still felt that FTTF was well worth it though. I was around the 20th person to board the ship and I bypassed the line often at guest services. I would pay $50 for those two perks alone.

Purchasing the FTTF is an option, not a requirement. Whether or not it's "worth it" is a personal choice, like the specialty restaurants, excursions ,etc. The cruise lines have several rules in place that many choose to ignore. Rum-runners are illegal, but people use them. Chair hogging is not allowed, but people still do it, then get upset when their items have been removed. Smoking policies are changing soon, but there will still be those that will ignore the rules and smoke on their balconies. I wouldn't be surprised that those that disobey the rules on the ship also tend to disobey certain rules on land too. That's just human nature. Great if you get away with it. Not so great when you get caught and have to suffer the consequences.

Edited by beachbum53

Im traveling with a 4 year old so it weep be worth it to me just to drop off our bags if nothing else! Lol!!

I'm traveling with a 3 year old AND tendering in Cabo (which can be pretty bad from what I've read on here). This will be our first cruise, but I'm quite certain that FTTF will be worth it for us.

Which deck were you on? Did this happen only on your cabin deck? Or did you notice or hear that all cabins were available earlier than 1:30 on this particular cruise? Might have been an error.

However, if you do not wish to pay for FTTF and aren't up to platinum status, the way to avoid the cabin wait is to NOT get to the terminal prior to 1 PM. Then by the time you are on the ship, the cabins will definitely be open. And there will still be plenty of food for you to grab and take back to your balcony. Remember you don't have to hit the main buffet lines, other venues are open too. And aft buffet lines or specialty lines like Tandoori or Pasta tend to be shorter as many cruisers stop at the first place they come to or the line nearest where they find a table.

We were on deck 2--cove balcony.---we were one of the first boarded as the boat took awhile to be ready to board. We got to the terminal around 11 am and had to wait about 45 minutes before any boarding was started. We immediately went to the rooms, as did many others--nobody there to stop or check anyone to see if they were really supposed to.

I don't think its cool to break the rules, just because you see someone else doing it.

I wouldnt break the rules, I am saying its a little disconcerning to see that carnival does nothing to stop others from doing it. But I know that is what they are known for.

And our luggage came no sooner than anyone elses--I asked the steward about that--he just said will be here soon. We did have FTTF orange colored tags on ours. We got them around 5pm. Luckily I have learned to put our immediate need items in my carryon bag.

I may just decide to get to the terminal after 2 or so from know on. That way I still get to go to the room right away and dont have to pay the extra money. Maybe do some shopping before heading over :):)

Edited by bingomamma19

FTTF to me was only worth it when we did tendering in two ports..

While waiting a few jerks decided that they were going to slip through with us, however the cruise people did check everyone's cards. :D

Cathy

If you read the threads on CC, esp. for CCL, you should know that many people either flout the cruise line rules or look for loopholes to get around them. Please don't join them. If you see no value to FTTF, then don't purchase it, instead use the $$$ to have a DOD while you wait for the open doors. We can descry boorish behavior, but we don't have to become part of it. That's what makes civilizations great.

well said

ME and DW got it for our first cruise ever but if it is useless than I don't want it. Should I cancel?

Just because someone on one cruise got away with sneaking into their cabins doesn't mean that they will allow you to do it on your cruise. Look at what FTTF offers. If you want those things, then keep it. If not, then cancel it.

Early boarding, cabin available upon boarding, luggage delivered early, special line at Guest Services, special dedicated phone line at Guest Services, priority boarding tenders, etc.

Yes, some have said that their luggage wasn't delivered early. Things go wrong no matter how much planning is made. It's the nature of the beast.

I think some ships do a much better job of getting the priority luggage delivered first than some others. At least in my experience anyway. The same is true for priority debarkation. Some ships let anyone debark in the priority group without checking. They act like they couldnt care less and only want to get it over with. Others check and do a much better job with respecting the rules and passengers.

I would think that if FTTF was offered as a priority for disembarking ( in order to catch a flight) it would be totally worth it

Not sure why you think it isn't. Last Dec on the Freedom, not only did we have the "1" luggage tags for disembarking, we did carry-off with the Platinum/Diamond folks. So we were in the first group to leave the ship.

ME and DW got it for our first cruise ever but if it is useless than I don't want it. Should I cancel?

I dont think it is useless. I just wish Carnival would enforce the rules that lets others just do whatever they want, when you have paid extra for it. Both times we have had fttf, we did get through the lines fast at the check in terminal (your own line), so that was good.

You do get to use the priority line at guest services.

I dont need it for any dining issues or tender ports (if we are at a tender port, we just get off later anyway--usually no booked excursions).

Both times we got it, our luggage was delivered the same time as everyone elses (should be delivered early as they have special tags also)

It does offer priority disembarking (we got a letter in the room and a zone tag of 3), but we dont need that as I usually book a hotel for that last day, so we try to be one of the last ones off.

So, I was just giving my own observations of my last 2 times using it. My main reasons for getting it are the short line to check in and getting to use my room right away. But having experienced it now, I will just try to get to the port around 2-2:30--short lines then and immediate access to rooms.

But its a personal choice, if you like/need the services--it is a GREAT program.

Value is definitely in the "eyes of the beholder". But don't forget.......FTTF cabins are supposed to "ready" and that means that they are cleaned and doors are closed to the cabins, which secures the belongings you drop off. Those who sneak into their cabin early most likely are dropping off their belongings into rooms that are not cleaned and not "secure" (with closed locked doors)......and that is taking a risk.....as the doors to uncleaned cabins are open to any and all who walk past them.

So you may want to rethink the "value" of FTTF in terms of dropping off your luggage early into a "securely" locked cabin!! Just a thought......