Can we make a 8:40am flight from Oasis in FLL?

The only non stop flight of the day from Ft Lauderdale to Providence is at 8:40am.

Does anyone know if that time is doable? :confused:

How long does Oasis take to dock, pick up luggage, etc. The docking time is stated as 6:15am.

Thanks in advance

generally speaking, yes, you can....but you will have to be able to self-disembark (i.e., carry off your own luggage) when they start to allow you to do so...i speak from experience...have made a 8:20 am flight off of oasis and also made an 8:30 am flight off of allure....just need to pray that there are no delays when the ship gets back to port...

Got off Oasis 7-12-14. Did self disembark @ 6:30 AM; was 2nd person off the ship. No wait in customs or for cab. Arrived at FLL airport @ 7:00 AM) less than 10 min ride). We had a 1:00 PM flight...hated waiting all that time, but it was too expensive to get on an earlier flight. In the future, I would book a 9:00 flight. I would only do this on Oasis/Allure. The key is self disembark and leave very early! Good luck.

In theory you certainly can pull this off as long as the ship is on time, and it almost always is. FLL is almost on top of the port. As stated previously, just self-disembark and be among the first off and be certain to have transportation at your avail. It's a Saturday, not a Monday, so traffic is light and the airport is very close.

We have a 10:45 out of MIA---what do you think? Still get off right at 6:30?

We've done the opposite twice. Walked off Reflection in Miami and flew out of FLL at 10:45am. It's doable but you need to have your ducks in order and I'd be more nervous about MIA because we don't fly out of there regularly. We have a pretty good feel of how busy FLL is on a Saturday or Sunday when the big girls come in but we are clueless about MIA. The first time was because our flights were so late that we rolled the dice and rebooked while on the ship. In doing so, we had to take a cab which cost us about $85 including tip. The second time it was planned from the start and we used SAS out of Ft. Lauderdale. We were in the Southwest terminal before 8:30am.

Got off Oasis 7-12-14. Did self disembark @ 6:30 AM; was 2nd person off the ship. No wait in customs or for cab. Arrived at FLL airport @ 7:00 AM) less than 10 min ride). We had a 1:00 PM flight...hated waiting all that time, but it was too expensive to get on an earlier flight. In the future, I would book a 9:00 flight. I would only do this on Oasis/Allure. The key is self disembark and leave very early! Good luck.

Gee, for a 1pm flight out of FLL you did not need to be in such a rush to get off the ship....you could have had a later time slight and still made it in PLENTY of time to the airport. Then had a much shorter wait in the airport.

Yikes...I would never spend that much time at FLL...for a flight at that approx. time (which I have had more than once) I've never felt the need to be off the ship much before 9-9:30am.

Waaaay to risky for me. My theory is anything can happen.

When we disembarked the Oasis 2 years ago, our flight left at 11:20am (our of FLL) or so. I figured it would be no problem at all. We were 'supposed' to be off at 0800-0830 per our paperwork. There was some sort of issue at the port and we didn't get into a cab until around 10!! Everyone was delayed getting off. We got to the airport with only 10 minutes to spare. We did not do self disembark because we 'thought' we would have plenty of time.

Just something to think about because unexpected things can and do happen.

Edited by Esmerelda

Not risky at all. Not a single report of self-debarkation being delayed on Oasis or Allure yet. You will make it to the airport with time to spare. I wouldn't give it another thought. Just remember, there are a lot of "worriers" around here who think they need to fly in a full day before and leave a whole day afterwards to account for every conceivable scenario, no matter how unlikely.

You'll be fine. Enjoy your cruise!

Just to clarify as the previous poster edited her post as I was making mine. Not a single report of SELF-DEBARKATION being delayed. If you get off the ship first thing, you'll be fine. There have been reports of delays in regular debarkation, usually due to customs backups.

Edited by leisuretraveler223

Not risky at all. Not a single report of self-debarkation being delayed on Oasis or Allure yet. You will make it to the airport with time to spare. I wouldn't give it another thought. Just remember, there are a lot of "worriers" around here who think they need to fly in a full day before and leave a whole day afterwards to account for every conceivable scenario, no matter how unlikely.

You'll be fine. Enjoy your cruise!

Just to clarify as the previous poster edited her post as I was making mine. Not a single report of SELF-DEBARKATION being delayed. If you get off the ship first thing, you'll be fine. There have been reports of delays in regular debarkation, usually due to customs backups.

Not quite true. While self-debarkation isn't specifically mentioned, these posts would indicate that self-debarkation was affected as well:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43158727&postcount=10

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2009184

Another thing to keep in mind is, just because it's not reported here on CC doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Edited by time4u2go

Not quite true. While self-debarkation isn't specifically mentioned, these posts would indicate that self-debarkation was affected as well:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43158727&postcount=10

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2009184

Interesting. One of those two does say that early debarkation was delayed (the other isn't as clear with regards to early debarkation being delayed).

So I guess I should amend my statement: ONCE in all the trips these two ships have made week in and week out for years, early debarkation was delayed. Personally, I'm a little worried about getting caught in a blizzard between Port Everglades and Ft. Lauderdale Airport!;)

The only non stop flight of the day from Ft Lauderdale to Providence is at 8:40am.

Does anyone know if that time is doable? :confused:

How long does Oasis take to dock, pick up luggage, etc. The docking time is stated as 6:15am.

Thanks in advance

My simple advice is to check with the airline, their rules make me dizzy, as to what happens if you miss your flight. When I toyed with this idea, it would have cost me an additional $125 per person (2 of us) to get a later flight if space was available. Larger families and different airlines could be a factor.

Interesting. One of those two does say that early debarkation was delayed (the other isn't as clear with regards to early debarkation being delayed).

So I guess I should amend my statement: ONCE in all the trips these two ships have made week in and week out for years, early debarkation was delayed. Personally, I'm a little worried about getting caught in a blizzard between Port Everglades and Ft. Lauderdale Airport!;)

You're assuming that every instance of such a delay would be reported here on Cruise Critic. That's probably not a very valid assumption, as only a small percentage of cruisers post to CC, and it's certainly not assured that every CC poster would write about such an occurrence.

Edited by time4u2go

This question is asked so often, it should be a sticky at the top :). I think I even asked it a few years ago when we sailed Oasis.

We walked off the ship around 6:45, the customs line was a bit longer than I expected and I had as moment of worry, but we were still sitting at our gate by 7:30.

Something can always happen, but I would bet the Oasis makes it into port on time at least 51 times per year.

A bit too early for me too.

+1

While there's plenty of evidence that one can leave the ship really early and realy quickly, we just don't see the rush. (moreso if one has a flight later than 11...)

We just had an 11:25 flight, so woke up at about 6-6:30, ate casually, got ready, and self departed at 8:15 or so. I'd rather spend an hour in line and not have to wake up so early. Got to the airport just prior to the 2 hour recommendation.

We've done the 1pm flight, too- like the 11:30ish time best.

To clarify my earlier post: even the self disembarkation people were delayed that day. There were numerous people that missed flights because we heard the conversations. Since then we have done the Allure, no issues at all. It's the luck of the draw and if the port authority is having a bad, I guess we all have a bad day.

:o

We've done it 4x with NO problems....but always have Plan B in case of a problem!

You know, this really makes me think about what really makes sense. I have long been a staunch advocate of an early departure from Oasis and Allure. But the reality is that is causes me little or no stress or worry. And even if something happened and I missed my flight, I'd deal. It might cost me some time, money, or both. But I wouldn't be very bothered by it.

On the other hand, if these are things that will cause you great stress worrying about, or if the potential loss of time or money is too burdensome, then a safer schedule is the way to go.

I think both sides probably overemphasize their position. The reality is that it's really unlikely you'll have a problem. But how much of a problem are you comfortable worrying about or having?

Risky vs Not Risky.

Yes there's always a level of risk, but it's low.

But, one hurricane or some other rare event can change your definition of risk though.

------------

I'm moving to self checkout only, even if a later flight time. Hate being crammed in the dining room just waiting and watching the video board for group 89 to be called.

To give you and idea, of the 20 cruises I've been on, we have never arrived back late. But, we've had 2 cruises before ours arrive back late delaying our embarkation.

I guess it happens but not too often. BTW, last month's cruise (Majesty) out of Miami all 4 ships were delayed arriving into port because of smoke from wildfires in the Everglades.... amazing. The first time several years ago, we were told it was a medical emergency that delayed the ship.

OP, what time of year are you sailing? If we are talking a school vacation week, Thanksgiving time, or other insane travel date then it could impact traffic at FLL.

That said, we have done self-disembarkation and been off the ship before 7. If you are traveling SWA, this is the first time in the past four years that there is not a direct flight from FLL into PVD until much later in the afternoon. My cruise in December we have a stopover in BWI on the way home ...