No communication from Celebrity on a cruise scheduled to go to Israel

cruisegirl1

Please allow me a bit of a rant to my cruise friends. OK, this is a first world problem but aren’t all the cruising issues.

We were scheduled to sail the Celebrity Silhouette Holy Land 14 night cruise on October 4. Final payment is in 3 days. The cruise from Rome is scheduled to visit Greece, Turkey, Italy and ISRAEL The 3 days is Israel is the reason we booked. (Jerusalem overnight and Haifa. ) This itinerary is offered for only 2 sailings each year, so demand and cruise price is high. This trip is a huge bite of our travel budget. (We have not yet booked air tickets)

We have heard NOTHING from Celebrity.

In light of the recent violence we are assuming that the ship may skip Israel completely. We get that no cruise line will put passengers and crew at risk. We are seasoned cruisers and know an itinerary change is possible, My rant is with no communication from Celebrity, passengers are expected to make an expensive decision to take a trip that we all suspect will have a greatly altered itinerary. Imagine a Holy Land cruise with No Holy Land. Or a cruise with an unknown itinerary.

We called Celebrity to ask if they had a plan B, or to consider providing a bit more time for final payment so passengers can see where the ship ends up. The agent tells us she is not aware of any itinerary changes to the sailing. (I felt like asking her is she has looked at the news, or if she saw that missile shrapnel fell on the German Aida ship docked where we will be docked, but I know she is following supervisor orders). In any case No change in processes. Final payment is July 21. She is clear to remind me that after final payment we cannot cancel without penalty. Not sure what insurance will cover in this situation. I did learn from the roll call that those booked in other countries have more time to pay and can cancel in the event of a major itinerary change. Is a Holy Land cruise with no Holy Land considered major?

Please understand , the issue is not the potential itinerary change or that final payment is due with a potential major itinerary change, I think my main rant is that Celebrity has not been proactive AT ALL regarding communication to passengers. They have not acknowledged that there is violence in the port area and even a message of “ we are assessing the issue and passenger and crew safety is important”. I wonder how many days after final payment it will take for them to make an announcement.

We cancelled.

M

Please understand , the issue is not the potential itinerary change or that final payment is due with a potential major itinerary change, I think my main rant is that Celebrity has not been proactive AT ALL regarding communication to passengers. They have not acknowledged that there is violence in the port area and even a message of “ we are assessing the issue and passenger and crew safety is important”. I wonder how many days after final payment it will take for them to make an announcement.

We cancelled.

And I assume you wouldn't have lost your deposit, as I would if I cancelled, as I live in UK.

I am on the next cruise on Silhouette set for Oct 18th. I will not rely on Celebrity to make my decision for me. Sounds like your only move is to cancel. If going to Israel is so much a part of your decision then cancel. In my case I do not expect them to cancel until that week so I will keep the cruise. I know they will either go to Turkey or Greece and that is ok with me.

So what you are saying is

1) You booked this just to go to Israel, and that port is important to you

2) You think it's unsafe there so X should cancel the port

In either circumstance, you would't be doing Israel as you feel it's unsafe, so you are best to cancel ASAP regardless as to if X does or does not modify this itinerary.

We had Egypt canceled back in 2011 (which was the reason we booked THAT cruise). We still went and had the best cruise of our lives.

BUT

I don't think you will get an answer from X at this point as they will not cancel the Israel stops unless they absolutely have to and they will wait to see if the violence stops or slows down. On that same trip in 2011 the two cruises before us had their Ashdod stops cancelled because of bombing but ours kept our 2 days there because it had slowed down. Celebrity is in a difficult position on this, which I know doesn't help you, but if they cancel the ports now and all is quiet come Sept/Oct people will be very unhappy that the ports are cancelled....its' not as if they can decide one day to go and the next not to go and the next to go again...especially in Israel where port security is unbelievably tight.

All I'm saying is if Israel is a must port stop for you and the cruise would be a bust if you don't go there then you should cancel cause if the current level of violence continues there is a good possibility those ports will be cancelled.

I fully understand your dilemma, and think with the uncertainty you were wise to cancel. Sailings with visits to unusual or infrequent ports charge a premium for the experience, and it would be a shame to have the crown jewels of the itinerary cancelled. Perhaps if the port was only a day of your itinerary it would have been worth gambling, but three port days is a lot of time for Celebrity to try to re-route/re-schedule on short notice.

Hopefully if violence in the region eases, you will be able to re-book closer to departure.

I just don't understand what the OP wanted from Celebrity. The complaint was "no communication." Is X supposed to call every passenger regularly and say "we haven't changed the itinerary yet." How often should they do this? Once a week? Once a day? What difference would it make, when some event as late as the day before the port call could cause a change? :confused:

If Israel is the only reason you want to go on this cruise, just cancel. it is totally unreasonable for anyone to expect any cruise line to make a decision about a stop that is currently 3 months away. Think about it, everything could be quiet there right now and a war could break out a week, or in fact day before the port stop and it would have to be cancelled. Or there could be a war on, as it is now, but stop completely due to a truce a month, a week, or a day before the cruise. To expect the cruise line to have a crystal ball is rather silly and unrealistic. Sorry this happened to you, but what you are expecting from the cruise line at this point in time is totally unrealistic. Sorry

I just don't understand what the OP wanted from Celebrity. The complaint was "no communication." Is X supposed to call every passenger regularly and say "we haven't changed the itinerary yet." How often should they do this? Once a week? Once a day? What difference would it make, when some event as late as the day before the port call could cause a change? :confused:

Of course not once a day! Once a week, no. Maybe just ONCE.

They had a recent port stop from one full day to just a half day (few hours) We, actually our TA, received email a few weeks ago letting us know of this change. We were happy not to be blindsided.

I am not referring to a late change of plans. We've all had a time when the ship is late to port, or has to unexpectedly miss a port, but this could be a major itinerary change

It likely would not have made any difference in our decision, because the suspected substituted ports, or potential additional three seas days is not the trip was wanted.

I wish Celebrity had been a bit more accommodating in this situation. That's all.

M

Of course not once a day! Once a week, no. Maybe just ONCE.

They had a recent port stop from one full day to just a half day (few hours) We, actually our TA, received email a few weeks ago letting us know of this change. We were happy not to be blindsided.

I am not referring to a late change of plans. We've all had a time when the ship is late to port, or has to unexpectedly miss a port, but this could be a major itinerary change

It likely would not have made any difference in our decision, because the suspected substituted ports, or potential additional three seas days is not the trip was wanted.

I wish Celebrity had been a bit more accommodating in this situation. That's all.

M

WHAT exactly do you want them to tell you??? It's 3 MONTHS away! Absolutely ANYTHING can happen in that time - it could be fine, it could be worse. You could disembark in Haifa on a peaceful morning and be chased back onto the ship by rockets from Syria or Lebanon in the afternoon. It's the MIDDLE EAST - one of the most volatile regions on our planet!

If you are serious about visiting Israel (and it's a truly wonderful place to visit), I suggest, as others have, that you fly in and fly out - you will not know until nearly the last minute whether a cruise ship will be able to make port. If you are in the slightest bit worried that there's the chance of violence erupting while you are there, cancel now.

If a passenger cancels and everything is fine only they get upset.

If Celebrity cancels and everything is fine 2500+ passengers get upset.

As I said on other threads on this same topic: I've been in the situation twice. Once Egypt was cancelled. Once Israel was cancelled. In both cases Celebrity found substitute ports. A very few were upset and created some noise, but the vast majority applauded ( yes, actually applauded) the decision.

People should do whatever makes them comfortable. I did not cancel either time and was glad I didn't. Only a handful from the Roll Calls cancelled. I don't know whether they were pleased or not.

Should Celebrity have changed the Black Sea itinerary prior to final payment? Like to know where they bought their Crystal ball so I can get one for the stock market.

Shalom!

Edited by Orator

cruisegirl1 why not ask them to guarantee that there'll be good weather too while your at it.

IMHO you're being a bit unreasonable.

Cancel and fly to Israel for a land trip... that is unless that gets cancelled for the same reasons a cruise stop may be canned.

We were lucky to cancel prior to payment had not booked air or my pre-stay hotel, the few private tour operators have been accommodating, so we have no financial loss.

The decision to cancel was ours.

M

Of course you do have the option to book the cruise as a new booking closer to the date. The prices will probably be lower if cabins are available. Also possible that the cruise sells very well and prices rise significantly. This has happened as well.

Edited by Orator

If Israel is your main reason for booking this cruise and you would not be happy with a substitute port then I think canceling was the right thing to do. As we all know no port is guaranteed. I agree with the others that anything can happen and a cruise line has no way to know what will happen three months from now. They would be in a no win situation.

Edited by cruisingator2

I agree with those who state that expecting Celebrity to know what will happen in 3 months is impossible. It's quite different than the current engine issue on Silhouette....that is KNOWN problem that they could deal with and inform people of.....the situation in Israel is completely fluid and all they can do is monitor the situation and make a decision closer to the date based on what is happening then....

as I said the two cruises before ours in 2011 had their Ashdod stops cancelled....they had almost no notice because no one knew ahead of time that suddenly missiles were going to be flying.....luckily it calmed down and we had our stop as scheduled.....if you MUST be somewhere a cruise is not the travel venue you should use.....

If Israel was the sole purpose of this cruise then I would have canceled too. The cruise line of course has the passenger safety upmost to worry about but at this point it is all speculation 3 months out. Why not consider a land vacation to Israel once things settle down there. I've done a 10 day guided land tour and it was the trip of a lifetime - so much to see that can't be touched on a cruise. I hope that you get to visit Israel soon.

cruisegirl1 why not ask them to guarantee that there'll be good weather too while your at it.

IMHO you're being a bit unreasonable.

Cancel and fly to Israel for a land trip... that is unless that gets cancelled for the same reasons a cruise stop may be canned.

I am so sad that, lately, so many people feel that they have to answer other posters' honest concerns with sarcasm.

I have friends on the same cruise who are not frequent cruisers. They have not had any communication from Celebrity either, and they feel that, three days before final payment, they have no alternative but to cancel. This is something that they really do not want to do. They have already booked their air, their hotels and their excursions and have put untold hours into planning for this trip. They are very frustrated that Celebrity will not simply tell them in writing what we all believe to be true....that Celebrity will not sail into Israeli ports if the situation remains as unstable as it has been for the past ten days.

It is one thing for those of us who sail frequently with Celebrity; we feel absolutely convinced that the Silhouette will not sail into Ashdod or Haifa if the situation is as unsettled as it is now. But my friends want to know, if this is indeed true, WHY won't Celebrity confirm this in writing?

I have some sympathy for their position. Celebrity wants them to hand over $6000 on faith, yet Celebrity is completely unwilling to provide any type of written statement confirming that, if the situation remains unsafe, we will NOT sail into those ports. Those of us who cruise frequently all believe that Celebrity will be motivated by safety first. If I were booked on this cruise, I would not cancel because I believe, absolutely, that Celebrity will not go into the Israel ports if the situation remains unsafe, as it is currently. But in the absence of ANY communication from Celebrity, I can't really blame my friends. With one written communication that confirms what we all believe would be Celebrity's policy under unsafe conditions, my friends wouldn't feel as if they had to cancel.

It is one thing for those of us who sail frequently with Celebrity; we feel absolutely convinced that the Silhouette will not sail into Ashdod or Haifa if the situation is as unsettled as it is now. But my friends want to know, if this is indeed true, WHY won't Celebrity confirm this in writing?

Confirm what in writing? They are still planning on visiting that port, they have not canceled it yet.

That they are canceling Ashdod is not in any case true, it is not canceled. Yes lots of cruisers are discussing if it should or should not be, but Celebrity has not canceled it, nor have they at all signaled they are considering doing so. They are monitoring the conditions there as they do for all ports of call and will make a decision at some time as they feel appropriate if the need arises to cancel. That day is likely going to be close to sailing, and in fact the port may not even get canceled.

They have put in writing that ports of call can change at anytime without notice, it's in the cruise contract.

So at this point, there is nothing to confirm, other than the itinerary as it is presently published.

My favorite missed port story is that of a bridal party who had made Grand Cayman a destination wedding. Guests flew to the island, wedding party and bride and groom planned on joining for the day while on a cruise for a port call. Well, Grand cayman got canceled due to poor sea conditions for tendering. So bridal party never made it to the wedding.

Lesson number 1 of cruising, DO NOT cruise for absolute certainty of visiting any port on your itinerary or you are just setting yourself up for disappointment.

We had Egypt canceled back in 2011 (which was the reason we booked THAT cruise). We still went and had the best cruise of our lives.

BUT

I don't think you will get an answer from X at this point as they will not cancel the Israel stops unless they absolutely have to and they will wait to see if the violence stops or slows down. On that same trip in 2011 the two cruises before us had their Ashdod stops cancelled because of bombing but ours kept our 2 days there because it had slowed down. Celebrity is in a difficult position on this, which I know doesn't help you, but if they cancel the ports now and all is quiet come Sept/Oct people will be very unhappy that the ports are cancelled....its' not as if they can decide one day to go and the next not to go and the next to go again...especially in Israel where port security is unbelievably tight.

All I'm saying is if Israel is a must port stop for you and the cruise would be a bust if you don't go there then you should cancel cause if the current level of violence continues there is a good possibility those ports will be cancelled.

Can you remember what Celebrity put in place when they cancelled the Ashdod stops in 2011?? It would be really helpful to know what has been done in the past.

There have been a number of posts regarding this issue and on the whole the OP's have had a hard time from other CC members (its easy to be flippant if it doesn't directly affect you!).

It would be really helpfull to me and the rest of us who are affected by this and much more in the spirit of CC if other members could let us know what Celebrity have done in the past as it may provide an indication of what they might do this time if, as looks likely, the troubles continue.

I suspect that most people who have booked this cruise consider Israel to be the highlight if not an essential component of this cruise , otherwise they would have booked one of the many predominantly Italian or Greek itineraries. I also doubt that many people wish to cancel if they can help it but are understandably worried about shelling out 10's of thousands of dollars on a pot luck itinerary.

It also seems clear that, rather disappointingly, Celebrity are unwilling to give us any help prior to final payment (which in itself only inflates the concern that the alternative will not be very attractive) so they have turned to other CC members in the hope that they might just be able to provide the confidence from their experience to allow them to take the risk of not cancelling.

There are clearly no guarantees but i would be more than happy to settle for an informed balance of probability!

Anyone actually want to help rather than carp!

Most people complain because Celebrity won't tell them whether or not their cruise will visit Israeli ports. Your friends have a different complaint. They appear to want written confirmation from Celebrity that their cruise will not visit ports in Israel if it is unsafe because of hostilities.

In the ticket contract, Celebrity states:

By way of example, and not limitation, Carrier may, without liability; (except as provided in Section 6(e) with respect to mechanical failures only), deviate from any scheduled sailing and may otherwise land Passenger and her property at any port if Carrier believes that the voyage or any Passenger or property may be hindered or adversely affected as a result of hostilities, blockages, prevailing weather conditions, labor conflicts, strikes onboard or ashore, breakdown of Vessel, congestion, docking difficulties, medical or life saving emergencies or any other cause whatsoever.

In effect, by saying they may skip a port because of hostilities, Celebrity is indicating that passenger and vessel safety is of concern to them and that they will not knowingly subject passengers to dangerous ports. IMO, it would be foolish legally for Celebrity to guarantee safety. They would open themselves to more complaints and/or litigation about whether a port was safe or unsafe.

I'm sorry your friends will miss their cruise. However, if they insist on a guarantee of safety that no cruiseline will provide, it is probably best that they cancelled.

Dave

I absolutely sympathize with cruisers struggling to decide on what to do with a final payment looming. At the same time, I really don't know what Celebrity can say at this point? We might go there, or we might not? I am not being sarcastic, truly. The cruise mentioned in the original post is over two months away. A lot can happen in those two months. That area of the world has been in conflict for as long as I can remember, and certainly in recent months there have been plenty of hints that it could flare up at any time as it now certainly has. Honestly, Celebrity cannot predict what it will need to do in two months, any more than the passengers themselves can predict. The only thing that can be predicted with certainty is that Celebrity will do whatever it needs to do to keep its passengers safe, and if they cannot go there they will do their best to provide other ports of call or some wonderful sea days. It is a sad state of affairs, but I honestly don't see Celebrity as the bad guy here. Just my opinion.