"Would not book if ..."

EdmPair

We are just off the Star from Alaska and had the most 'interesting' supper of

shared dining. We were placed with an elderly lady who found fault in many things

the staff had done. She was soft-spoken but was clear all the food is much better

in the Horizon Court but liked to meet new people down here. I have to say it was

awkward but we had one line which was later to be a good laugh.

"I would never have booked this cruise if somebody had told me it did not go to

Skagway."

Oh well. It was just one night.

(The update on by iPad app runs my sentences outside the screen so I had to

keep putting line returns to see what I was typing. Some 'upgrades' are not.)

Guess I better take a close look at my itinerary so I know where were going! Don't want any surprises once on board! lol

if they have to make any changes to the ports just enjoy yourself

if they have to make any changes to the ports just enjoy yourself

This wasn't a case of port changes. The cruise was never going to Skagway in the first place. I was on that cruise, and I was sorry not to see Skagway again, but I did know it wasn't on the itinerary in the first place!

This wasn't a case of port changes. The cruise was never going to Skagway in the first place. I was on that cruise, and I was sorry not to see Skagway again, but I did know it wasn't on the itinerary in the first place!

Exactly!

It always amuses me when people say there were too many (or not enough) sea days. The very best one was a review of a Transatlantic cruise when the poster said that it was a pity all the ports were at the beginning. Why didn't they break up the seven sea days with a few ports?

Sheila

My neighbor just returned from a Alaskan cruise. Her ship went to Icy Strait which Princess just started going there. She was thrilled about this change and yes she knew the itinerary before her cruise. It amazes me that people do not look at the itinerary BEFORE they even book a cruise.

We are just off the Star from Alaska and had the most 'interesting' supper of

shared dining. We were placed with an elderly lady who found fault in many things

the staff had done. She was soft-spoken but was clear all the food is much better

in the Horizon Court but liked to meet new people down here. I have to say it was

awkward but we had one line which was later to be a good laugh.

"I would never have booked this cruise if somebody had told me it did not go to

Skagway."

Oh well. It was just one night.

(The update on by iPad app runs my sentences outside the screen so I had to

keep putting line returns to see what I was typing. Some 'upgrades' are not.)

And this is why my DH and I dine alone if we aren't traveling with good friends and or family!

It's not just at dinner; I once boarded an exterior-view elevator with two gentlemen already on it, and one of them was complaining to the other about the horrible, rough sea.... except it was 72 degrees, sunny, no storm withing a hundred miles and the seas was very close to being a sheet of glass. Maybe a 0.5 on the Beaufort scale.

The complaining gentleman left the elevator at the next stop, leaving the last man and I to stare at each other, shrug a bit in non-comprehension, and talk about the lovely weather...

My neighbor just returned from a Alaskan cruise. Her ship went to Icy Strait which Princess just started going there. She was thrilled about this change and yes she knew the itinerary before her cruise. It amazes me that people do not look at the itinerary BEFORE they even book a cruise.

Not new... Princess goes to Icy Strait once in a great while. I had friends who sailed from San Francisco about three years ago that went to Icy Strait. It's the same with Haines.

On one occasion travelling through the Med two elderly English women commented on how their trip was disappointing because of all the foreigners! AND that not everyone spoke English:rolleyes:

Days of the Empire are long over.

Paul

Oh no! I just checked and my Panama Canal cruise isn't going to Skagway either! Why didn't anybody tell me??? :eek:

I'm still waiting for 100 percent compensation for our Hawaiian cruise as we didn't go to Skagway either.:D

Usually we don't sit with complainers so we like sharing a table, especially if it's at traditional dining (we don't have to start with the usual "Where are you from?" "Is this your first cruise?" questions). We've been lucky to get placed with interesting sorts. When we did had anytime, we were once seated with a much older couple who was insisting we must do this tour or visit that attraction while in the islands, especially to educate our teen (who fortunately was eating elsewhere because she would have been speaking up emphatically about that).

On our San Francisco to NYC cruise through the Panama Canal, I was talking to a lady by the pool. She was very upset that no one told her there would be sea days! Then said she needed a companion for her next cruise, would I be interested. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Cheers, Denise.

I have to say I don't really look at the itinerary all that much, depending on where it was going. I booked our Nov. 30 cruise on the Emerald, all because I want to sail on that ship, I could care less where it goes or if it stops at all.

Though the comment about staying longer in port, often I have felt that way when we had just a few hours somewhere. However I knew it was short to begin with, just would have liked longer. But nothing to stop us from booking.

I totally agree its abnormal not to know where you're going on a cruise you booked, BUT, in her defense, most Alaska cruises do go to Skagway, so she may have just assumed it did based on past cruises. If one does the same itinerary over and over, one is not as likely to carefully study the itinerary.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

And this is why my DH and I dine alone if we aren't traveling with good friends and or family!

My husband and I are the same way. If we meet interesting people on the cruise, we invite them to dinner! It's much nicer than just being forced into a group of unknowns...

I totally agree its abnormal not to know where you're going on a cruise you booked, BUT, in her defense, most Alaska cruises do go to Skagway, so she may have just assumed it did based on past cruises. If one does the same itinerary over and over, one is not as likely to carefully study the itinerary.

I may have missed it, but looking at the 2014-2015 Cruise Atlas every Princess Alaska cruise I found goes to Skagway.

I may have missed it, but looking at the 2014-2015 Cruise Atlas every Princess Alaska cruise I found goes to Skagway.

Look again. I was just off the Star Princess and it did Tracy Arm Fjord and Icy

Strait Point and not Skagway. This planned itinerary was not unique but it less common.

Then again, who really wants to be common.

BTW ... many years ago I was part of a big national conference in Whitehorse,

Yukon and we had a day of tour where I went to Skagway by bus over the White.

The conference was bigger than would fit on the train if memory serves and I lost

the lottery. I took a boat ride across the fjord to Haines. I fully enjoyed it but

remember both Haines and Skagway as 'tourist traps' dominated by cruise ships.

These big ships change the local economy and not always for the best. Skagway

in my memory has as many tshirt/magnet/postcard/tanzanite shops as Ketichan

or Cozumel.

We always request a table of 8, because if one passenger turns out to be a dud, there are always 5 other people to enjoy. Usually at least half the table are fun or interesting to be with. One of the best parts of cruising is, for us, meeting and talking to new people.

I have to say I don't really look at the itinerary all that much, depending on where it was going. I booked our Nov. 30 cruise on the Emerald, all because I want to sail on that ship, I could care less where it goes or if it stops at all.

In the winter I don't really care where in the Caribbean a cruise is going as long as it's warm and there is no snow or ice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums