"Would not book if ..."

EdmPair

I may have missed it, but looking at the 2014-2015 Cruise Atlas every Princess Alaska cruise I found goes to Skagway.

Yes, you missed it. Page 23, Star Princess in the footnotes...:)

Just checked the itinerary for our next cruise to the Mexican west coast and sure enough Skagway has been eliminated! :rolleyes:

Some years ago we were on a ship out of San Juan, PR. We ran into several who were complaining that all the announcements were in English and then Spanish and what was worse many of the pax were using Spanish instead of English! Surprisingly the majority of pax on that cruise were from PR! We had quite a laugh at the ignorant pax. Living here where Spanish is quite commonly used, it felt like home to us.

Look again. I was just off the Star Princess and it did Tracy Arm Fjord and Icy Strait Point and not Skagway.

Yes, you missed it. Page 23, Star Princess in the footnotes...:)

Thanks.

Yes, I did miss that asterisk by one of the 13 cruise dates for the Star.

I had just scanned the itineraries and totally avoid looking at the footnotes.

Edited by caribill

I go to see the Saints; St Thomas, St. martin,.san Juan. St, Lucis. Cruising is a religion with me and I am very faithful.

I LOVE THIS!

I have a story about cruising that just was told to me yesterday. I have a friend that went on her first Princess Alaskan cruistour. She had a balcony cabin on the Coral Princess. She was very disappointed because on days when there was commentary on the decks (such as Glacier Bay and when leaving some ports) she couldn't hear. Reason: She was on her balcony in the 700's. They said open decks. Her balcony was an open deck. Why wasn't it louder???? This was after I had told her not to spend all the time on her balcony but to go up on the decks to get a more panoramic view. Same lady was flabbergasted that it was cold in Alaska. I had told her and tried to help her pack. She took shorts and capris and only one pair of long pants because in spite of what I said she told me it was summer, you will be on the ocean so it will be tropical so you won't need warmer clothes in the summer!

Go figure!?!?!?

We always request a table of 8, because if one passenger turns out to be a dud, there are always 5 other people to enjoy. Usually at least half the table are fun or interesting to be with. One of the best parts of cruising is, for us, meeting and talking to new people.

Agree 100% with you altho we just say " two to share". When you agree to travel with 1500-3500 " strangers" it doesn't make sense, to me anyways, not to try and meet and get to know some of them.

If you find some duds :eek: amongst the gems, such is life on dry land too!

If we hadn't, we would have missed meeting Our very best friends. A group of 4 couples, came together on a cruise when one wife came up to us and commented how much fun we looked to be having and introduced herself and hubby. The group grew to four couples and we now get together on water and dry land at least twice a year for past 5 years. :)

We always request a table of 8, because if one passenger turns out to be a dud, there are always 5 other people to enjoy. Usually at least half the table are fun or interesting to be with. One of the best parts of cruising is, for us, meeting and talking to new people.

Us too, meeting new folks every evening for an hour and a half is great!:D Some of the folks have become friends that have come to visit us here in the Islands and we keep in touch with others regularly about cruising plans. It is just another plus to cruising. We have done the set time dining and had several bad experiences with that, so never again, and my DW and I eat together every day to the year, so it is more fun to be able to go to dinner and meet new people everyday.:) Then if you see someone at the table you are heading for, you can always ask for a different table.:eek:

I LOVE THIS!

I have a story about cruising that just was told to me yesterday. I have a friend that went on her first Princess Alaskan cruistour. She had a balcony cabin on the Coral Princess. She was very disappointed because on days when there was commentary on the decks (such as Glacier Bay and when leaving some ports) she couldn't hear. Reason: She was on her balcony in the 700's. They said open decks. Her balcony was an open deck.

She obviously also did not know she could have heard the commentary by turning on the cabin TV to the bridge cam channel and leaving the balcony door open a little.

I am truly enjoying this thread. Thank you for starting it. It's not a complaint, for information, or a review (and others). Just whimsical. Everyone must have a story or two. Please keep this thread alive.

This is a great thread. :D

I don't have anything humorous to share, but I just wanted to say I'm glad that Princess has discovered Icy Strait Point. It is one of the few ports that has not (yet) been spoiled with touristy type stores (Diamonds International, etc.) I hope it stays that way. We were there in 2012. We enjoyed it so much more than Skagway or Ketchikan, and plan to take another cruise that includes it as a port stop.

Happy cruising. It's a great way to see the world.

I always cringe a little when someone posts about doing something very special at a certain port. There is no guarantee you will actually go to any port on your itinerary. I've even heard of people planning to be married at a certain port.

The only Alaska story I have is someone asking about the currency exchange rate.

I always cringe a little when someone posts about doing something very special at a certain port. There is no guarantee you will actually go to any port on your itinerary. I've even heard of people planning to be married at a certain port.

The only Alaska story I have is someone asking about the currency exchange rate.

Actually about 11 years ago, we were on a Carnival ship out of NY that was headed to the Bahamas. A couple was scheduled to get married on an island. They had a group of guest with them, as luck would have it, a engine wasn't working properly (carnival-suprise-surprise) so we had to spend the cruise in Bermuda as the power wouldn't allow us to sail down south and return. Some people really went crazy- The cruise line made arrangements to fly people home and give everyone a nice credit to use on a future sailing- If you read the fine print of the sailing contract- they can alter the ports.

That's more common than one might think and it happens in Hawaii as well. Of course, for many of us here, when we started school there were only 48 stars on the flag so Alaska and Hawaii weren't part of the U.S. but that was so very long ago you would think people wouldn't be asking this question.

It always amuses me when people say there were too many (or not enough) sea days. The very best one was a review of a Transatlantic cruise when the poster said that it was a pity all the ports were at the beginning. Why didn't they break up the seven sea days with a few ports?

Sheila

LOL! I thought that was why so many TA's stop in the Azores! It's like a Portugal private island!

;):D:p

My neighbor just returned from a Alaskan cruise. Her ship went to Icy Strait which Princess just started going there. She was thrilled about this change and yes she knew the itinerary before her cruise. It amazes me that people do not look at the itinerary BEFORE they even book a cruise.

Isn't that how most of us book cruises, by looking at the itinerary? Sheesh!

We are going on a 28 day cruise from LA to Tahiti with several ports and sea days on the way! Even though I know all our ports, it wouldn't matter to me if we diverted to another or different port, as long as I get to Tahiti and then back to LA!

;)

On a first night of a Can/NE cruise our table mates walked up and the woman immediately said unacceptable ! She then explained that she felt a table for four was far to limiting, as she found that most people don't come to her standard of her interests.(she had never met us) We discussed her travel and what books she read and all things them. She was rude to a hard working waiter and felt we where not worth spending the rest of the cruise with for dinner. She was entertaining for one night, but we where glad she found somewhere else for dinning.

Actually about 11 years ago, we were on a Carnival ship out of NY that was headed to the Bahamas. A couple was scheduled to get married on an island. They had a group of guest with them, as luck would have it, a engine wasn't working properly (carnival-suprise-surprise) so we had to spend the cruise in Bermuda as the power wouldn't allow us to sail down south and return. Some people really went crazy- The cruise line made arrangements to fly people home and give everyone a nice credit to use on a future sailing- If you read the fine print of the sailing contract- they can alter the ports.

I would have just gone with the flow! I would rather be in Bermuda than the Bahamas any day!!! When we dock in the Bahamas, most times we don't even get off the ship!

On a first night of a Can/NE cruise our table mates walked up and the woman immediately said unacceptable ! She then explained that she felt a table for four was far to limiting, as she found that most people don't come to her standard of her interests.(she had never met us) We discussed her travel and what books she read and all things them. She was rude to a hard working waiter and felt we where not worth spending the rest of the cruise with for dinner. She was entertaining for one night, but we where glad she found somewhere else for dinning.

Maybe she needed a table for one. And a mirror. :D

Had a table for six on the night before our partial Panama transit and four of us were discussing where to be when entering the Canal and when we would have to get up. The two younger ladies at the table were amazed - they didn't know we were going into the canal.

That's more common than one might think and it happens in Hawaii as well. Of course, for many of us here, when we started school there were only 48 stars on the flag so Alaska and Hawaii weren't part of the U.S. but that was so very long ago you would think people wouldn't be asking this question.

Just a small clarification. Hawaii was annexed in the 1800 by the United States. We were a Territory of the US. That did mean that we were a "part" of the United States. It wasn't until the 50's that we became a full fledge state.

And these are my own personal comments. I can proudly say that I was born in the Territory of Hawaii (which made me a US citizen). And was old enough when she became a state. How that happened, I'm not sure, because there were a lot of people who did not want statehood, the taxes, the issues....etc.

And yes, we have high rises, automobiles, US currency, taxes, and no grass shacks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would have just gone with the flow! I would rather be in Bermuda than the Bahamas any day!!! When we dock in the Bahamas, most times we don't even get off the ship!

I agree! My DH and I just enjoyed the cruise! Give me a Martini and I am very happy on a cruise ship! LOL

Just a small clarification. Hawaii was annexed in the 1800 by the United States. We were a Territory of the US. That did mean that we were a "part" of the United States. It wasn't until the 50's that we became a full fledge state.

And these are my own personal comments. I can proudly say that I was born in the Territory of Hawaii (which made me a US citizen). And was old enough when she became a state. How that happened, I'm not sure, because there were a lot of people who did not want statehood, the taxes, the issues....etc.

And yes, we have high rises, automobiles, US currency, taxes, and no grass shacks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My apologies for the error. I certainly meant no slight by my statement.

I'm sure there were many people who had no desire at all for Hawaii to become a state. I spoke with a local gentleman on Maui who shared that same feeling with me. I would guess there were also quite a few who didn't want to be a U.S. territory before that.

In a small way it's like the local area where I live. The city keeps annexing properties from the county and the people living in those areas don't like it at all. (Taxes, fees, etc.)