Freedom of the Seas drydock

I asked three people how the "r" lounge got its name - one said from "R"oyal, bartender said it was the middle initial of someone that I never heard before, another said it is after Richard Fain the CEO.

Given that Royal Caribbean constantly describes the R Bar as "retro-chic", I assumed that the R stood for Retro.

It is about time the ship made an appearance since leaving Port Canaveral.

I was wondering myself, and went to marinetraffic and looked at the receiving stations, and they have dropped a lot in the area. And some that were subscribed were "offline". They have to pay to access the various land stations. Even vesselfinder wasn't listing Freedom. Perhaps someone switched off the AIS? Second Officer, can you say "pre-departure checklist?" :D

I wonder if no cushions is going to be the norm now, or if they've ordered new and they haven't arrived yet?
I would want to know that if we upgrade to a GS. If I were in a suite, I would remark on how uncomfortable the balcony furniture is without cushions. I see it as a flaw when you are paying a lot of money for the suite and the large balcony.

Freedom is making full speed even on only the azipods.....nothing to worry about....
:confused: It is not surprising that Freedom is using only azipods, since that is all she has for forward propulsion. Are you saying that Freedom is currently only using two azipods? Freedom has three 14Mw ABB azipods. Voyager class had two azipods plus one fixipod.

:confused: It is not surprising that Freedom is using only azipods, since that is all she has for forward propulsion. Are you saying that Freedom is currently only using two azipods? Freedom has three 14Mw ABB azipods. Voyager class had two azipods plus one fixipod.

I thought Voyager and Freedom class both had one fixipod, and it was Oasis class that had all three azipods.

I thought Voyager and Freedom class both had one fixipod, and it was Oasis class that had all three azipods.

POWER AND PROPULSION

The Freedom of the Seas is powered by Six Wartsila 46 V12 diesels each rated at 12.6MW driving electric generators at 514 rpm. Total engine output is 75,600kW. The ship is fitted with three ABB Azipod podded electric propulsion units, two of them azimuthing, one central fixed unit (each pod can deliver 14MW of thrust power). There are also four bow thrusters for manoeuvring.

http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/freedomofthesea/

Since the Voyager class ships and the Freedom class ships are both the same width (the Freedom class is longer), each would have the same room for the electric pods that turn the screws. And yes, it is only running on the two azimuthing pods at this time.

Edited by Cuizer2

The fixipod (center pod that does not rotate0 needs repairing from a problem caused during drydock. The part is on order and folks from ABB, the shipyard, will be aboard during the next few cruises to repair it. FR has at times exceeded 21 knots without the fixipod.

The fixipod (center pod that does not rotate0 needs repairing from a problem caused during drydock. The part is on order and folks from ABB, the shipyard, will be aboard during the next few cruises to repair it. FR has at times exceeded 21 knots without the fixipod.

It still has the fixipod, it is just not using it for propulsion.

Had a bridge tour at 3 PM. Asipods doing 134 RPM; Fixipod windmilling at 78 RPM. Doing 19.4 Knots - expect to arrive on time tomorrow.

Bob E

The above was the message that I sent a few days ago.

I noticed on the gauges that the RPM goes to 140 RPM. The Staff Captain said that they had basically nothing to spare with the asipods.

I don't know if it is a good way to operate equipment at full load all the time.

Bob E