Slamming doors/drawers

ShelleyQT

I just got back from sailing the Norwegian Dawn to Bermuda. Overall a great trip, but my one complaint is the slamming of drawers and closet doors of my neighbors on one side. They had 5 people in there, and I realize you can't be silent when you're getting ready for bed or for the day, but having drawers slammed over and over into my headboard was extremely annoying. Every morning they would start at 7:00 and keep going sporadically for the next 90 minutes.

Yikes. Maybe it would help if there were a little label on the top drawer reminding people that slamming it will slam into their neighbor's headboard. Of course some will ignore that or just plain forget, but it might help a little bit... I think most people just aren't aware.

There... ranting over. :rolleyes:

I just got back from sailing the Norwegian Dawn to Bermuda. Overall a great trip, but my one complaint is the slamming of drawers and closet doors of my neighbors on one side. They had 5 people in there, and I realize you can't be silent when you're getting ready for bed or for the day, but having drawers slammed over and over into my headboard was extremely annoying. Every morning they would start at 7:00 and keep going sporadically for the next 90 minutes.

Yikes. Maybe it would help if there were a little label on the top drawer reminding people that slamming it will slam into their neighbor's headboard. Of course some will ignore that or just plain forget, but it might help a little bit... I think most people just aren't aware.

There... ranting over. :rolleyes:

I am sorry this was your experience. Not all parents teach manners.

The good news is that the ship was not rocking so bad that the drawers kept slamming due to the motion, cause that makes for long nights! :)

I know this isn't the same as having noise from RUDE people, but one cruise I woke up during the first night to a horrible clunking sound. The ship was rocking around pretty good, and I quickly knew what the noise was: some empty wooden hangers in the closet. I promptly remedied the problem, and wish that it could have been that easy for you. :(

I am sorry this was your experience. Not all parents teach manners.

The good news is that the ship was not rocking so bad that the drawers kept slamming due to the motion, cause that makes for long nights! :)

In choppy weather duct tape comes in handy to tape drawers shut, tape cabinet doors shut, tape rattling empty hangars together. We always bring a traveler size roll of duct tape from Minimus.biz and have often used it for a variety of things, including taping the all-you-can-fit laundry bag.

Recently experienced this at a hotel in Daytona Beach several months ago. A busload of high school kids were at the hotel for some event. From the time they got there 10pm till 3 am, every cabinet, door, drawer was slammed over and over for hours. We eventually moved our room the next day. I thought it would stop after an hour of unpacking but up and down the hall slamming doors all night.

Thankfully I have never experienced this on a cruise.

Not defending the behavior of people who act like they were raised by wolves...

Some people do not hear their own slamming. We had neighbors who did not until I accidentally let our door close hard. From the next room, all conversation stopped for a moment, and from that point forward they were very quiet when closing the doors. We were also very quiet in closing our doors. It ended up being a very peaceful cruise!

In choppy weather duct tape comes in handy to tape drawers shut, tape cabinet doors shut, tape rattling empty hangars together. We always bring a traveler size roll of duct tape from Minimus.biz and have often used it for a variety of things, including taping the all-you-can-fit laundry bag.

Do you bring Go Gone to take off the sticky stuff that the duck tape leaves?

Electrical tape does not leave the gunk, and neither does painters tape. I use electrical tape as it seems to be a little sturdier.

We had a drawer that kept slamming (naturally middle of the night :rolleyes: ) that we'd just pulled open and stuffed clothes around the edges to keep it form moving back & forth.

The middle of the night isn't the ideal time to come up with the best solution ... just something that works immediately with little effort is a good plan. :D

LuLu

Not defending the behavior of people who act like they were raised by wolves...

Some people do not hear their own slamming. We had neighbors who did not until I accidentally let our door close hard. From the next room, all conversation stopped for a moment, and from that point forward they were very quiet when closing the doors. We were also very quiet in closing our doors. It ended up being a very peaceful cruise!

THIS! Whenever we've had a problem like this or loud talking and/or TVs, we've replied in kind and always received good results. Some people just don't realize how much noise they make. I think I learned this on my first cruise back in 1986 when I first hear a toilet flush next door at night. I try to limit my visits to the loo in the middle of the night now. ;):o

Ban drawers? I'm sorry I could not resist.

Sorry that you had a problem with noisy neighbors.

But some people would go without pants! :D

We had a problem once in very rough weather. We had an aft balcony and the balcony door would not stay locked or closed. It would unlock itself and SLAM back and forth all night. I was surprised it did not shatter. Our neighbors must have been furious. The staff would not believe us until they came and saw it do it for themselves. They ended up giving us a wedge of wood to jam the door closed!

THIS! Whenever we've had a problem like this or loud talking and/or TVs, we've replied in kind and always received good results. Some people just don't realize how much noise they make. I think I learned this on my first cruise back in 1986 when I first hear a toilet flush next door at night. I try to limit my visits to the loo in the middle of the night now. ;):o

I had to laugh at this! We had a neighbor that must have had really bad seasickness on a ferry home from Scotland. The seas were rough, they even rolled my daughter off her bed. His toilet flushed every 5 minutes the entire night. We laugh now, but it did not make for a good night's sleep.

So sorry you had this issue. :(

I had an issue with our neighbors on our last cruise on the Getaway with them turning their tv on and up extremely loud, then opening their balcony. I never ONCE seen them on the balcony the entire cruise, but the door was always open with the tv blaring. :cool:

I remember my cruise on the Spirit had a large closet door that didn't latch and in the middle of the night each night it would open and shut...not slamming, but squeaking back and forth. It was annoying and we learn to put clothes up against it.

My next encounter was another cruise with the coat hangers banging back and forth. After that, I always make sure clothes are hanging from every one of them now. :D

Too bad your situation wasn't something you could fix yourself. :(

I had a bad experience with loud neighbors coming in after midnight (DH and I usually are early to bed) and woke us up with their laughter, talking, doors slamming, etc.

After the second night I called the front desk. I heard a knock on their door and a friendly reminder that there were other guests that were sleeping. After that we never had the problem again. NCL did offer us a different room but it wasn't worth it to us to pack everything up and move if the problem had been resolved.

If you ever encounter this in the future the front desk is very helpful in resolving these issues. :)

My solution for the closet hangers making noise is to push all the empty ones together and drape a towel through them.

And on one cruise the bathroom door wouldn't latch. I tied it open with dental floss. You get creative when you can't sleep.

We use duct tape, similar to electrical tape, not the Duck tape brand. It is very easy to roll off any residue, so no need to bring anything extra to remove it.

Edited by NMLady

Ear Plugs.

Don't leave home without them.;)

This is rich, considering your name. :rolleyes:

(I'm SO sorry, I just couldn't resist! ;):p)

I always bring a small quantity of twine and decorative duct tape. I have ghastly visions of having to build a lean-to on the deck because the ship is adrift......wonder where I got that from? :eek:

When the hangers slid back and forth on the BA I just took them off the rod and laid them on the floor.