Help with choosing Alaskan excursions, PLEASE

cruzemaven

We are taking our 10 year old grandson on The Infinity next summer- Vancouver to Vancouver Alaskan cruise for his birthday. There is so much to choose from as far as excursions, I don't know where to start. I thought I would ask advice from those of you who've been there and done that! Would really appreciate any recommendations. We will be in Juneau, Hubbard Glacier, Icy Point, and Ketchican. Thank you

Book a private whale watch on a small boat in either Juneau or Icy Strait Point. Icy Strait Point also has a zip line if that would be of interest to him. Sailing toward Hubbard Glacier on the ship is the excursion. Ketchikan is very walkable on your own. Lots of totem poles. You can take the funicular up to the lodge and then walk back down on Married Men's Trail. You'll pass the salmon ladder on this route.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

I would book Harv and Marv's private whale watching in Juneau. We loved it, and we had 2 older teens and an 8 year old. Everyone had a great time. We did the Lumberjack show in Ketchikan. All of us thought it was worth the time and money. We also did the Duck tour. We could have skipped this as it wasn't too exciting. We did have lots of time to walk around.

It is rather expensive, but by far the most beautiful excursion I have done anywhere is a float plane trip over the Misty Fjords National Monument from Ketchikan. We were in a 10 passenger plane that flew over the mountains and landed on a lake. Last time I was there I took the ship's excursion. I am going again next year and have booked with Island Wings.

Carolyn

The floatplane is awesome and the views are stunning. A ten year old would love it. Also a helicopter ride to the top of a glacier. Once there, you can walk around with the ski poles while wearing boots with metal traction on the soles. Spectacular! He would have some amazing tales to tell his friends upon his return.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Wow, some of these excursions are quite pricey ! I guess I will just suck it up and enjoy:)

Yes, Excursions for Alaska can run a pretty penney but they are really

worth it. I have to 2nd the Floatplane tour in Ketchikan. I have gone

with Island Wings before and it was fabulous:D

Here is a link to their website:

www.islandwings.com

The floatplane is awesome and the views are stunning. A ten year old would love it. Also a helicopter ride to the top of a glacier. Once there, you can walk around with the ski poles while wearing boots with metal traction on the soles. Spectacular! He would have some amazing tales to tell his friends upon his return.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Floatplane and helicopter have our vote too. Did both and loved it. The floatplane also included a salmon BBQ.

Alaskan tours can be quite expensive. These are what we did with our kids on our Alaska cruise:

Ketchikan - crab fisherman tour

Juneau- glacier helicopter landing (if this too much $ consider bus to Mendenhall glacier

Icy Strait Point- private whale watch trip to point Adolphus

Hi, We enjoyed the Raptor Center in Sitka. We took a taxi there. We also liked the Juneau State museum with lots of Inuit history. We walked there. There are awesome totems in Ketchikan within walking distance, and ask if the salmon are running. The site is unforgettable.

One more thing--do go or book a tour that gets you as close to a glacier as possible

We chose a group kayak tour (with a motor) to watch the glacier change as you get closer to it. It's Wow!

The Tracy Arm Fjord excursion out of Juneau was worth every penny. The ship excursion, though pricier, is favourable over the private. The boats get you there and back faster and the deck space is larger for viewing. I cannot guarantee weather but it was a beautifully sunny and warm day in May when I went plus two Glaciers at the end.

Edited by TheMediaman

I really liked hiking with Wild Wolf Tours in Ketchikan. She has geocaching "treasure hunting" for the kids too.

I also loved the dog sled glacier tour through Coastal Helicopters in Juneau.

I was going to recommend Wild Wolf Tours also! Tracy gives a wonderful tour, it is small and personal. Very reasonable cost for the length of the tour and quality.

My husband, 13 year old son and I did Alaska (Vancouver to Seward) with Royal last year.

Ketchikan

We did Lighthouses, Totems and Eagles Tour. This was not a RC tour but we got some amazing shots and views of eagles. Even saw the odd whale.

Icy Strait

We booked the ATV Expedition and Zip Ride. This was booked with Royal. As I have no head for heights, I did not do the Zip Ride but did drive an ATV. Excellent tour, very thrilling and we could even manage to smell a bear (luckily did not see it). Both husband and son really enjoyed the zip line.

Juneau

This was the centre piece of our holiday. My husband and son went on a Pack Creek Bear tour. Involves a return float plane ride and kayak to Admiralty island which has a brown bear population in excess of 1500. They came within 15 feet of a pair of adolescent bears when at one of the viewing platforms. Caught another one on camera fishing in a river. Saw a variety of bears from nursing cubs to adults. This was expensive but was once in a life time experience.

One more thing--do go or book a tour that gets you as close to a glacier as possible

We chose a group kayak tour (with a motor) to watch the glacier change as you get closer to it. It's Wow!

Can you share where you did this? Did you have to do any paddling or did the motor do all the work?

Hi

We did a little optional paddling, but not to worry there were several paddlers per kayak Not everyone needed to paddle

We were given boots for walking on the glacier

Sorry I can't remember the exact place right now