Cool towels

To my recollection on every HAL cruise I've taken there have been cool towels and drinks provided on the pier for passengers returning from shore excursions. In the case of tender ports, those amenities have been provided at the landing and not on the tenders. Has anyone recollection of such amenities being handed out ON BOARD the tenders - which usually are not roomy enough for such "cabin service"? I raise this because the lack of such things on the tender seemed to be the one specific complaint an unhappy cruiser mentioned on another thread. Could it be that he had been expecting something which, practically speaking, wasn't provided in his case ---- because it simply is not provided?

Never have I seen cool towels or drinks being distributed on a tender.

At tropical ports, maybe these are available; maybe not. At one South Pacific island port, both the Amsterdam (Grand World Voyage) was anchored on the same day as the Statendam was. At the tender pier, cool towels and beverages were available for the Statendam's guests; none for the Amsterdam's.

That did not sit well with me. Upon re-boarding the Amsterdam, I made a visit to the Front Office and filled out one of their "we want to know" forms (exact name escapes me now). I received a nice reply in due time, but the towels/drinks did not appear on any consistent regularity. I decided that this service depended upon what the Hotel Director (or whomever overseas this service) was requring to be done for the guests.

To my recollection on every HAL cruise I've taken there have been cool towels and drinks provided on the pier for passengers returning from shore excursions. In the case of tender ports, those amenities have been provided at the landing and not on the tenders. Has anyone recollection of such amenities being handed out ON BOARD the tenders - which usually are not roomy enough for such "cabin service"? I raise this because the lack of such things on the tender seemed to be the one specific complaint an unhappy cruiser mentioned on another thread. Could it be that he had been expecting something which, practically speaking, wasn't provided in his case ---- because it simply is not provided?

On our trip to Bermuda on the Veendam we had the towels and drinks at the ship when we got back before we boarded and it was delightful.

Terri

Never on a tender and I don't recall ever seeing any at the tender piers. The OP of the "Disasterdam trilogy" must be confusing HAL with another line.

Never on a tender. Only at the tender dock or at the gangway. I like your reference to the "Disasterdam Trilogy". Good one.

Last winter, on the Maasdam, we were in Martinique w/Noordam. Noordam had the cool towels, water and lemonade. We had nothing. But that's a story for another day!

We have sailed on HAL since 1996 and have rode quite a few tenders.

No Cool Towels or cool water were served on any tender that we have been on.

For most tender ports the Cool Towels and cool water were right as you were approaching the tender. There have been ports when there was nothing -- in cooler climates like Alaska and the Baltic.

Any tender I've been on it seemed like the crew was very busy watching the guests so they didn't trip getting on/off the tender or watching the water and sky to make sure all was safe for tendering. They always seem very serious about their business. I don't think I want those tender crews distracted with handing out a cool anything. AND, who would clean up the mess in the tenders that "some" passengers would leave.

I don't think HAL tenders are the right place for any kind of service except getting HAL's guests safely to a pier and safely back to the ship. I would say "good job" to all of HAL's tender crews.

I remember in the past there was hot chocolate on the piers in Alaska and in cool weather ports. I also remember getting out of the hot tub on Noordam III in Alaska and having one steward wrap a large towel around my shoulders and another hand me a cup of hot chocolate. Ahhhh, those were the days

No I have never seen this.

I think your theory may have merit but seeing that poster never answers any questions asked for clarification, it is likely we'll be left wondering. :shrug:

We've been on several NCL cruises. At all the Ports upon returning to the ship, they have fun entertainment welcoming you back and board, and stations set up w/ cold water and cold cloths (they use white gloves LOL) before getting back on board. Very nice.

We also like the entertainment on the dock at many Ports. Reminds you, you are really on a Carib. vacation.

Edited by UandMe4Ever

Any tender I've been on it seemed like the crew was very busy watching the guests so they didn't trip getting on/off the tender or watching the water and sky to make sure all was safe for tendering. They always seem very serious about their business. I don't think I want those tender crews distracted with handing out a cool anything. AND, who would clean up the mess in the tenders that "some" passengers would leave.

I don't think HAL tenders are the right place for any kind of service except getting HAL's guests safely to a pier and safely back to the ship. I would say "good job" to all of HAL's tender crews.

100% agree!

There have been tender ports, both disembarking and embarking tenders, I have wondered: My God! How am I going to manage this! The tender's crew always kept me safe and sound! (Maybe the absolute, positive, no question worse was at Fanning Island! Those men literally had to lift and lower me into and out of the tender. Why HAL stops at that island is beyond me!)

I've never seen cold towels available on a tender. I doubt that there would be any room for them. They would take up valuable space that is currently devoted to the tender bar and dance floor. :D

Edited by POA1

I've never seen cold towels available on a tender. I doubt that there would be any room for them. They would take up valuable space that is currently devoted to the tender bar and dance floor. :D

Just ask nicely and the tender bartender will give you ice cubes in a tender bar towel.:D

So, you're saying that the tender bar tender will tender bar-tender towels?:eek:

Say that three times fast...

The bar tender was actually a very sweet young thing, so I suppose one should say the tender tender bar tender will tender bar-tender towels... N'est-ce pas?