Anyone else have trouble proclaiming themselves "Elite"?

seaproponent

How about "So many Celebrity Perks for me and so Little Time" shirts.

Ok, I admit we run out of free internet minutes but I'll suffer through the 14 days in Sept to obtain E+ Perks (won't use that E word) for South America in 2015.

Pretty sure that we always get same amount of coupons regardless of length of cruise so my surprise is that I don't recall Elites yet proclaiming there should be more coupons for 14 day than 7 day cruise or more for 7 days than 5 etc. Refreshing that perhaps we are happy to be equal as Elite vs wanting to be rewarded for longer cruises! If there is a discussion that starts over inequity of perks I will be so ashamed that I even mentioned running out of minutes! But perhaps common sense prevails; the reality is that one gets more free drinks on a longer cruise and that is a an additional perk that most all seem to be are happy with!

Yes, we've had that discussion previously about how 14-day cruises should get 2 sets of coupons because 2 B2B 7-day cruises would. Celebrity has chosen not to act on that suggestion.

I am trying to recall if a crew member has ever asked us if we are Elite (we are Elite Plus) and cannot recall a single instance! Also cannot think of any reason they would ask...because in situations where they need to know (such as the entrance to the Elite cocktail party) they will ask to see your card.

Hank

I am trying to recall if a crew member has ever asked us if we are Elite (we are Elite Plus) and cannot recall a single instance! Also cannot think of any reason they would ask...because in situations where they need to know (such as the entrance to the Elite cocktail party) they will ask to see your card.

Hank

Those who need to know who is at what level don't need to ask as they receive a list several days prior to the cruise. Those who don't need to know really don't care since it means nothing to them.

They do know the VIPs and receive a crib sheet with pics so that they can greet them when they pass. I found out about this when crew who I didn't know recognized my wife and I by name as we passed. We were curious about how they knew us and were told about the picture list.

They do know the VIPs and receive a crib sheet with pics so that they can greet them when they pass. I found out about this when crew who I didn't know recognized my wife and I by name as we passed. We were curious about how they knew us and were told about the picture list.
I find this interesting as I have often wondered if staff and crew receive an advance list of returning passengers.

We think it is amazing that so many of them recognize us and enthusiastically come over to greet us, recalling meeting us on previous cruises. In some cases they even mention which cruise it was, even a cruise from a few years ago.

(We are hardly VIPS, just ordinary passengers.)

With all the thousands of passengers they encounter cruise after cruise ........ maybe there is just something weird looking about us of which we are unaware. :D

But I am puzzled as to how or why people would have concerns about proclaiming themselves elite, or any other Captain's Club level.

There has never been a reason to "proclaim" ourselves to be at any level. Each level was just assigned to us by the cruise line as we reached a certain number of points.

Now if only we could become Zenith just by proclaiming ourselves Zenith............ ;)

Edited by fleckle

I've suspected this since my first cruise (happened to be a great deal on last minute open PH). We got to the cabin settled in, then started wandering the ship. Didn't even really know about the butler. Got off the elevators on our floor and started walking to the elevator, and Jonthan, our butler greeted us by name. He had no idea we were headed there.

And Sue Denning on this year's TA also remembered me by name from last year, guess she got the list of premium cabin passenger names and faces, or maybe she really can remember people. Last year was RS, tis year was PH.

I've also noticed facial recognition being used in the photo studio pictures too.

The Captains Club host/hostess needs the list in advance so that they can prepare coupons and/or vouchers. That could take quite some time, especially on a TA and they usually recruit friends to help. Most passengers don't realize the time it takes to prepare for their cruise. Any last minute additions or deletions are sent by the Miami office directly to the ship.

Edited by Orator

The Captains Club host/hostess needs the list in advance so that they can prepare coupons and/or vouchers. That could take quite some time, especially on a TA and they usually recruit friends to help. Most passengers don't realize the time it takes to prepare for their cruise. Any last minute additions or deletions are sent by the Miami office directly to the ship.
Being greeted by the Captains Club host/hostess is very understandable, but I was referring to the way we have been greeted and welcomed back at different times on different cruises by stateroom attendants, waiters, cruise directors, bartenders, various guest relations or shore excursion people, and such.

Some have warmly welcomed us back when we encountered them just wandering around the ship, and we had no idea who they were or where we had met them previously or why they would have remembered us at all.

There is nothing particularly distinctive looking about us, not tallest, shortest, fattest, skinniest, best or worst dressed, unusual hair color, etc.

That is why we wonder if they all get a list with names and photos of returning passengers before each cruise.

Some have warmly welcomed us back when we encountered them just wandering around the ship, and we had no idea who they were or where we had met them previously or why they would have remembered us at all.

Maybe y'all are so nice, they just remember you from other cruises. :)

I don't think the waiters or cabin attendants get a list of past passengers--they wouldn't have time to look at it even if they did. Turn around day is very busy for them. But nothing beats running into a wonderful waiter or cabin attendant you've had in the past and being welcomed aboard with a hug! And I particularly love running into folks who have been promoted because of our good comments about them.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

Maybe I lost track, but has anybody who is actually Elite objected to the name?

I don't really understand the objection. The definition is: The choice part or flower (of society, or of any body or class of persons). It's a title Celebrity has given to a group of frequent travelers. Does anybody object to being called a VIP? Do you cringe when you book ChoiceAir? It corresponds to Zenith, defined as "The point of the sky directly overhead; the highest point of the celestial sphere as viewed from any particular place; the upper pole of the horizon"

Yes, the OP (moi) and a number of other posters to this thread are classified as such.

Maybe y'all are so nice, they just remember you from other cruises. :)
Aw shucks, Texed.

Thank you. (blushing) :o

That is very kind of you, but you are the nice one.

You always have something nice to say about everybody.

And besides, you are the famous one who got us all hooked on the great Celebrity waffles. :)

What's wrong with being elitist if you are trying to encourage people to join the elite rather than being exclusive?

Richard Dawkins

Celebrity has designed a program that rewards frequent cruisers with a number of perks. Nothing would make them happier than having every passenger reach the Elite level. It would mean that passengers return again and again because of a wonderful product.

Elite cruisers are every bit as varied as people everywhere: good, bad, and indifferent. Just as most posters on these boards are wonderful, some come across as arrogant or condescending or insulting. It's their nature and becoming elite changes nothing.

Becoming an Elite Celebrity Cruiser is a mere stepping stone to becoming an addicted cruiser. There is no cure but there is meeting place on each Celebrity ship to help you deal with your condition. :D

Well, I am a bit upset. I have now achieved what they are calling Elite Plus status.

I wish they had another designation to differentiate us from the mere Elite. :D

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Well, I am a bit upset. I have now achieved what they are calling Elite Plus status.

I wish they had another designation to differentiate us from the mere Elite. :D

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

They do...it's called "Elite Minus." You don't want to go there!:) That means you are just hanging by a thread...

Edited by Lastdance

Being greeted by the Captains Club host/hostess is very understandable, but I was referring to the way we have been greeted and welcomed back at different times on different cruises by stateroom attendants, waiters, cruise directors, bartenders, various guest relations or shore excursion people, and such.

There is nothing particularly distinctive looking about us, not tallest, shortest, fattest, skinniest, best or worst dressed, unusual hair color, etc.

That is why we wonder if they all get a list with names and photos of returning passengers before each cruise.

Maybe you are the kindest or most understanding, maybe even the funniest? I know first hand how recognizable that is in the service industry. I run a 500 seat restaurant that stays full, but I always remember a face that warmed my heart or made me laugh! These faces are why I show up every day and still enjoy my job!