El Cheapo Cruises Thread

We have three kids. That'd leave one without a parent.

I wonder what would happen if we booked the third room with an adult that may or may not show up (can't get hold of my mom; sent an email offering a free cruise if she paid for airfare, but flights from Tennessee ain't cheap). Would Royal Caribbean deny boarding? Or just give a wink and say "as long as baby stays in a cot/playpen in one of the other two rooms, you're fine."

Isn't that stupid.

Would it be cheaper to book two with RCI than 3 with the agent.

Or how old are the other two? Sometimes they'll let you book kids in a next door room, or over the corridor depending on age, so they wouldn't even need to be interconnecting.

Can you book an interconnecting 2 kids and dad and a twin for you and bubs?

I'm sure plenty here would volunteer.

Edited by GUT2407

I think circuitrider is trying to take advantage of the super-cheap guarantee cabin deals.

As soon as you start requesting specific cabins the price doubles (at least).

Anyway the guarantees are booked out for that cruise now, I just checked.

I think circuitrider is trying to take advantage of the super-cheap guarantee cabin deals.

Yup, yup, and yup.

I finally got hold of mom (she didn't pick up her phone for hours because the battery was charging). Cruise still available. Over an hour later she says "ok", cruise sold out. Plan B, let's go on the 14 night cruise from Perth to Singapore. She says ok a bit quicker. I then realize we're going to be pushing 90 days out of the country for the year (over 90 days and we have to wait to apply for citizenship). A cruise that begins and ends in Australia doesn't count against you at all. I should have just booked the Sydney-Perth one and hoped for the best.

So, question (I'll probably make a separate thread too). If you're on a one-way cruise that leaves Australia and ends in another country, does Australia immigration consider that you've left the country on day 1 of the cruise, the day of the last Australian port, or another day completely? We're cutting it so short that the three days difference between April 1 (Perth) and April 4 (Port Hedland) will decide whether we can do this or not.

Yup, yup, and yup.

I finally got hold of mom (she didn't pick up her phone for hours because the battery was charging). Cruise still available. Over an hour later she says "ok", cruise sold out. Plan B, let's go on the 14 night cruise from Perth to Singapore. She says ok a bit quicker. I then realize we're going to be pushing 90 days out of the country for the year (over 90 days and we have to wait to apply for citizenship). A cruise that begins and ends in Australia doesn't count against you at all. I should have just booked the Sydney-Perth one and hoped for the best.

So, question (I'll probably make a separate thread too). If you're on a one-way cruise that leaves Australia and ends in another country, does Australia immigration consider that you've left the country on day 1 of the cruise, the day of the last Australian port, or another day completely? We're cutting it so short that the three days difference between April 1 (Perth) and April 4 (Port Hedland) will decide whether we can do this or not.

This is one where I'd say ask immigration, but almost certain the answer is day 1.

Yeah I sort of figured that part, but have heard of some lines letting you book guarantees for kids close to parents and also why I asked would 2 at the "normal price" be better than 3 on special.

This is one where I'd say ask immigration, but almost certain the answer is day 1.

Have you talked to immigration before? If I don't get the answer I like, all I have to do is keep calling back until I get the answer I want. Though the hold times limit the calls to 2-3 per day. :)

Just noticed the travel agent allowed no-obligation holds. I feel like an idiot.

Yup, yup, and yup.

I finally got hold of mom (she didn't pick up her phone for hours because the battery was charging). Cruise still available. Over an hour later she says "ok", cruise sold out.

Bummer! But keep an eye on that website, I've seen deals disappear for a few hours then pop back up again.

They still seem to have a lot of offerings across a wide variety of cabins, so the guarantee option may re-appear if those cabins don't sell. It's less than three weks to departure date.

Yeah I sort of figured that part, but have heard of some lines letting you book guarantees for kids close to parents and also why I asked would 2 at the "normal price" be better than 3 on special.

Special price was $889pp, x 6 = $5334, including Mom.

The option is a triple cabin $4119 for 3, plus a twin cabin $4632 so total is $8751. Sorry, Mom, you can't come on this one.

Start hoping the hot deal comes back. ;)

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Best to check with immigration, but I'd expect it'd be the last day it is in Australia i.e. Port Hedland. This would make it consistent with international departures and Customs processing.

Special price was $889pp, x 6 = $5334, including Mom.

The option is a triple cabin $4119 for 3, plus a twin cabin $4632 so total is $8751. Sorry, Mom, you can't come on this one.

Start hoping the hot deal comes back. ;)

OK understand.

Best to check with immigration, but I'd expect it'd be the last day it is in Australia i.e. Port Hedland. This would make it consistent with international departures and Customs processing.

OK with us it has always been customs etc at Syd even when other stops before leaving Aus.

I believe it is the day you embark on the cruise. That is when you are processed by immigration. They don't know or care that you might be in Australian waters for several more days, or even call into another Australian port, as far as Immigration is concerned, you have left Australia when you pass through their control point and board the ship.

As others have suggested, check with the Immigration Department.

There are some wonderful specials with VotS fly/cruise packages at the moment. perhaps that would work. There is one that is only 27 nights, Fly-Sydney- Perth Cruise - 24 nights-Perth-Tokyo, Fly-Tokyo-Sydney from $2699 per person.:D

That's not a bad deal.

Finally found it! 1st April. Looks like it's a B2B. Fremantle to Singapore, then Singapore to Tokyo.

Yes, that is the one, apart from the flights it includes accommodation, transfers and a tour up Mt Fuji.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Circuitrider

That cruise you're interested in, Sydney to Fremantle, is back at $866pp. Get in quick!

It's been "available" since this morning but it kept timing out halfway through the booking (all the cruises did this, I checked).

I finally got three bookings in! Well, three requests. I've wasted all the time I can today, have to run some errands :( . Once they all go through I get to call up and use my Next Cruise Credit (the agent said I could...I hope he was right) and hope that flights don't magically triple in cost.

Edit: #2 just got confirmed. Screw the errands, I'm not going anywhere.

It's been "available" since this morning but it kept timing out halfway through the booking (all the cruises did this, I checked).

I finally got three bookings in! Well, three requests. I've wasted all the time I can today, have to run some errands :( . Once they all go through I get to call up and use my Next Cruise Credit (the agent said I could...I hope he was right) and hope that flights don't magically triple in cost.

Edit: #2 just got confirmed. Screw the errands, I'm not going anywhere.

Good luck, hope it all works out. I assume this was the one that didn't take you outside the 90 days?

Good luck, hope it all works out. I assume this was the one that didn't take you outside the 90 days?

Just got the third confirmation!

Edit: Sorry, was so excited that I forgot to answer the question. Yeah, this shouldn't affect our days at all, since it's less than 30 days and begins/ends in Australia.

Edited by circuitrider