El Cheapo Cruises Thread

If you book a guaranteed cabin on a RCI cruise do any further discounts apply or is it generally cheaper than booking with a 55+ or diamond discount?

If you are eligible for C&A discounts they do apply. I just booked a balcony gty and due to my Diamond balc discount the total cabin price was discounted by $375 AUD.

Booking on board OBC and C&A discounts can both be used with gty's.

In the recent/current RCL offers the $100 OBC does not apply to gty cabins though.

Edited by woodyren

For anyone who has booked or are looking to book RCL cruises next summer it might be a good idea to check prices in the new sale staring today. My good deal on Explorer has got even cheaper and I am in the process of trying to rebook. Although I am trying to do this by email from China I hope it can happen.

Balconies (with Diamond discount) under $90 pp pd.Junior suites (with diamond discount)only a little over $120pp pd. + $100 OBC

I am even considering booking a GS as they will work around $160 pd.

What perks come with a GS on Explorer?

I booked a RCL cruise through an online agency on Friday and its now $277 cheaper. I sent an email to see if can be refared. Says for new bookings only so I don't hold my luck out.

I booked a RCL cruise through an online agency on Friday and its now $277 cheaper. I sent an email to see if can be refared. Says for new bookings only so I don't hold my luck out.

If it is before final payment and the agency has a no fee cancellation policy why cant a person just cancel and rebook.

I am hoping this will be the case for us.

As an aside the on board booking manager on our last cruise told me that the booking engine for RCL in Australia had been changed recently and much of the flexibility in booking that they have in the USA would be now also available to us.

Like many things RCL tell you I will this with a grain of salt until it is verified by myself or others.

If you are eligible for C&A discounts they do apply. I just booked a balcony gty and due to my Diamond balc discount the total cabin price was discounted by $375 AUD.

Booking on board OBC and C&A discounts can both be used with gty's.

In the recent/current RCL offers the $100 OBC does not apply to gty cabins though.

Thank you woodyren. I'm really happy to hear this and will get onto my TA. I'm a bit sad though. This morning they were advertising GTY cabins and as of 5mins ago they're not. how sad! :(

If it is before final payment and the agency has a no fee cancellation policy why cant a person just cancel and rebook.

As an aside the on board booking manager on our last cruise told me that the booking engine for RCL in Australia had been changed recently and much of the flexibility in booking that they have in the USA would be now also available to us.

Like many things RCL tell you I will this with a grain of salt until it is verified by myself or others.

I've sent off an email to the agency have to see what they say.

Thank you woodyren. I'm really happy to hear this and will get onto my TA. I'm a bit sad though. This morning they were advertising GTY cabins and as of 5mins ago they're not. how sad! :(

Just heard from my TA and RCI are not offering any Seniors or past passenger discounts for the cruise I want. Never mind. I'm grateful for the information from woodyren. :(

I've sent off an email to the agency have to see what they say.

Just relieved a reply that we can take up the new deal. We did change from a balcony gty to a Junior suite though.

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Forums mobile app

Well that sounds great, almost too good to be true, although I hope for all our sakes it is.:D

Just relieved a reply that we can take up the new deal. We did change from a balcony gty to a Junior suite though.

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Forums mobile app

Upsells are about the only way we can take advantage of price drops and such. Glad you have JS now.:D

We were told the same thing earlier in the year - also that we were protected against price drops. So booked a cruise on board (got the OBC), and a couple of weeks later decided to book a different one. After much too-ing and fro-ing, we were rebooked - with a new reservation number - they had to cancel the old and make a new booking. So far so good....

Then there was a price drop (which we were told on board we had protection for). No dice - apparently they did us a "favour" with the re-booking, and we had exhausted our ability to change. The admin email address have studiously ignored my emails since on the topic - 3 emails and not 1 reply.

Appalling customer service by RCCL in this case.

Edited by Aus ATC

Just saw a deal.....not too sure how long it has been around...

Explorer of the Seas

Seattle to Sydney

24 nights

8 October 2016

Inside - $1476 each

Ocean View - $1867 each

Balcony - $2388From that famous Oz website.

Theres a Fly Cruise deal out today for Kiwis on that one

Interior Cabin Fly/Stay/Cruise ONLY $4189 per person

Ocean View Cabin Fly/Stay/Cruise ONLY $4549 per person

Balcony Cabin Fly/Stay/Cruise ONLY $5139 per person

RcL have really struggled to fill up the Explorer of the Seas. Probably asking far too much when it was first released. I think some of these cruiselines need to adjust their marketing strategies.

Could not agree more. Its all the wrong way around. When cruises are first announced the prices should be low and as the ship fills up , then they should start moving the price up .

Could not agree more. Its all the wrong way around. When cruises are first announced the prices should be low and as the ship fills up , then they should start moving the price up .

I think Celebrity have tweaked with this. They seem (and correct me if I'm wrong) to offer at opening packaged up with the drinks package and other perks.

I think Celebrity have tweaked with this. They seem (and correct me if I'm wrong) to offer at opening packaged up with the drinks package and other perks.

I agree, apart from Princess and X all the others have their pricing high and then dropping if the cabins don't sell. P&O is worst for this.

Credit where it is due. Rang up today to change our April Voyager cruise to a January Legend cruise (ex BNE which suits us much better). The RCL agent was very helpful - all very easy to cancel the old booking and make the new one. Had to pay a new deposit, and the existing deposit will be refunded (fingers crossed!)

After our earlier experiences (my previous post refers), it was a welcome change. Maybe the booking flexibility originally promised has made it's way into normal business.

Very happy with the reduced cost too (a slightly shorter cruise but the $/day down nicely). Voyager Class will just have to wait for another time......

I can't keep up with RCI. At 7am they'll have a GTY suite,by 2pm it's gone and turned into a GTY interior. Then no change for ages. Then everything has GTY status. They're all over the place. I checked on a November cruise today on the RCI website and though what the wedding bells? Just using interior as an example here; Interior $1161.78pp. Interior GTY $1570.78pp. :confused::eek:

I can't keep up with RCI. At 7am they'll have a GTY suite,by 2pm it's gone and turned into a GTY interior. Then no change for ages. Then everything has GTY status. They're all over the place. I checked on a November cruise today on the RCI website and though what the wedding bells? Just using interior as an example here; Interior $1161.78pp. Interior GTY $1570.78pp. :confused::eek:

The demand and supply will be constantly changing the pricing and the availability of cabins as they are booked or released from being on hold.

The demand and supply will be constantly changing the pricing and the availability of cabins as they are booked or released from being on hold.

I think they must all use the same computer programme. I have seen prices change by the hour..

Mind you , all it needs is for say an RSL or a Bowls Club , to decide on a group cruise , and 200 people show interest ,and theres 100 cabins gone....or put on hold.

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer