Medical Emergency Team/s

Does Rccl have a Medical Emergency Team ?

If someone has a Heart Attack do they have a team ready to respond Immediately.

Or..... Will there be a time delay of " Dear in the Headlights "

By the crew.

Will the first person alerted activate this "Team" if there is one.

If there is not one in this scenario- because time is of the essence -

They should have one.

It's not "Deer in the Headlights"...they will respond, but they do have limited abilities. If someone has a major health issue, they should NOT be on a ship. That's why there are so many medical evacuations, and re-routing of ships to other ports...to get those gravely ill folks to somewhere where they can be treated.

Ships are equipped for minor emergencies, like cuts, bruises, tummyaches...maybe even a broken bone could be made stable...but that's about it.

If you have major medical issues, your doctor is the one to say if you could be out of medical range for a week...and even then, you take your chances!

On one of our recent Liberty cruise a lady fell (very badly) going down the stairs in studio B. In less than 2 minutes there were 2 doctors and at least 7 officers of 2 stripes or better. Everything was handled with the utmost of speed balanced with speed and caution. The lady ended up being taken out on a backboard.

By the crew.

They should have one.

The crewmembers are constantly drilling for various emergencies, including medical.

Edited by clarea

Each ship has 2 doctors and 2 nurses.

We have used the medical facility a few times, each time DH was well treated and received goods care.

As for a heart attack, they will stabilize the patient until they can be evacuated off the ship by either the USCG or the nearest port.

Ships are equipped for minor emergencies, like cuts, bruises, tummyaches...maybe even a broken bone could be made stable...but that's about it.

Agree that passengers with major issues should perhaps not be traveling, however, I think the above statement is untrue. They definitely can handle more than minor emergencies. Knew a passenger that had a totally unexpected heart attack, was stabilized, and received medical evacuation - said their treatment was fantastic and very professional.

Also, don't forget the thousands of crew they are responsible for. Treated in the medical facility for a bad sprain, possible broken bones - x-rayed, treatment was excellent. During the time I was there a crew member was brought in - she was obviously in a lot of pain - the staff went to work just like any other ER facility and seemed very competent.

All if the cruise lines are set up well for emergencies especially medical

Announcements go throughout the ship alpha alpha alpha and then location in these instances and multiple crews are called to respond in these instances

It is quick and they have excellent equipment

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

By the crew.

They should have one.

If you ever take a cruise that offers a behind the scenes tour, take it. The cruise ship has many resources available to deal with every problem imaginable.

The hardest problem that I see for people new to cruising is an overactive imagination of the "what ifs". I was told by one local lady (who runs a business) we know that she would have to have a balcony room because of claustrophobia. However, then she told me that she was worried about sharks jumping up onto her balcony. I said that this only happens at night, but most cruise lines electrify the balcony railing to prevent this from happening.

On a prior cruise, we watched the crew deal with a potential fire. The only one with the "deer in the headlights look", were some of the passengers.

Go to the doctor prior to the cruise, get checked over, and go on a boat trip.

Ships doctors and nurses are capable of a lot more than that. If you're posting that as fact, I'd really like to know the source of your info. No, the ship isn't a hospital, but the staff is capable of handling most emergencies and stabilizing patients.

Ships doctors and nurses are capable of a lot more than that. If you're posting that as fact, I'd really like to know the source of your info. No, the ship isn't a hospital, but the staff is capable of handling most emergencies and stabilizing patients.

We were told on the tour that they routine do thing up to and including appendicitis procedures.

RC are much better than some other lines I have sailed on. I have seen a child being air flighted off in Alaska, a crew man overboard rescued when he fell off a tender ship being pulled back on ship, and returned to shore for treatment, not to mention other medical emergencies on board, and ships being turned around if they feel it is more prudent to get the passenger ashore for treatment.

I was on a ship once (Costa from recollection) where a lady collapsed at the bar. They couldn't find a wheelchair to get her to medical so the band stopped playing, ran over, grabbed her and literally ran through the ship carrying her to medical. In the time that it took for the band to realize there was an emergency to putting their instruments down and getting from performance stage to the lady in question there was not a member of staff visible in coming to assist. We later found out she did not survive.

I have never seen anything like that pandemonium that ensued on the Costa ship . When I have been on a RC ship whenever there has been an emergency on board I have every confidence in their staff being fully trained for an emergency as they have always shown complete competence

Edited by Spurschick

We had to use the ship´s doctors for some minor injuries. To change the dressing we had to go there 3 times and saw 3 different doctors and 2 different nurses. The hospital is equipped with an ICU unit. While they can´t perform an open heart surgery they for sure can stabilze a patient and get him ready for an heli evacuation. They definitely can cope with emergencies of all kind but of course they try to get a patient to a land based hospital as soon as possible.

steamboats

By the crew.

They should have one.

My husband had a heart attack several years ago on the Serenade sailing from Hawaii to Ensenada. I called 911 from our cabin phone and a couple minutes later a nurse arrived with some equipment and a wheelchair. We were in Cabin 1600 at the aft of the ship and the medical facility is on deck 2 forward - so it was amazing to me how quick she arrived after my call. He was taken to the medical facility and tests confirmed the heart attack. He was stabilized and we remained on the ship (while the rest of the passengers debarked in Ensenada), until we docked in San Diego 48 hours later, where a rescue team took us to the hospital. The care he received aboard the ship was great.

Last May, was on Navigator, too much sun, headed for my cabin, passed out at the door. Awoke on a gurney in medical with 2 doctors and 2 nurses. Slight abrasion on head, treated bandaged, had EKG, blood withdrawal, vitals - all OK Was told by Dr. Petterson to see her next morning to determine if alright to go ashore. Great team. I plan to visit with them, again, in Nov. :-)

We were in Cabin 1600 at the aft of the ship and the medical facility is on deck 2 forward - so it was amazing to me how quick she arrived after my call.

I think the medical folks have a "key", similar to firefighters, that locks out all other elevators and gives them priority to the floor they select.

I have seen medical called many times on RCI and the response has always been very quick. Any officer or crew with a radio calls for medical assistance.

Barb

It all depends on your expectation of level of care. I have dealt with them on a few occasions (Im a trauma magnet) also I have worked prehospital since 1986 so its not my first rodeo(yes coming to an end of my career) on the hole they are no worse than some you run across on the street some really good others,not bad but not great. The last ship tour we did (Also wife is a CCERN Emergency room nurse) along with my daughter (Also ER nurse works in a large ED with 12 Trauma beds alone!) Any how they were impressed with the 5 bed facility they had onboard and procedures they said they could perform.As for transport they have the std Stryker litters, 12 lead EKG. but on that note last two cruises Ive delt with them, last year in WJ cafe a guy had a CVA (stroke for you non med people ;-) ) a nurse came with basically no equipment and two cruises before that a girl that was partaking in adult beverages getting jiggy with it slipped fracturing her tib/fib the came with a wheel chair only. So in general just like out on the highway you dont know what your going to get till they show up. If I dial 911 for myself or family fist question is what medic is logged on????