"Dynamic dining is going fleetwide"

ryano

I agree with both of you!

Ditto! I don't mind ships having optional restaurants, but to demand that everyone eat in them and eliminate a fixed time, table, and serving team for those of us who like that? No way.

I was actually starting to think I might consider Royal as an alternative to Disney for non running-group cruises, but if this goes fleet-wide, that will just cement my Disney devotion. Their rotational dining is about as much change as I want - and even with that you keep your serving team.

It's stupid. I don't want to eat at 5 PM or 7PM or whatever time when on a cruise. I don't wear a watch and don't give a hoot what time I eat. I like to eat when I feel hungry. People ruin everything, cruising, vacation, even going up in the mountains to relax with watches and computers. This will be my 1st and only time on RCL.

It's an incredibly smart and forward thinking idea that I think will get positive reviews when tried. There will be plenty of free "anytime" venues to eat whenever you want, and I suspect that you will be able to walk up to the 4-theme restaurants of the previous MDR and see which one is available for immediate seating (just like NCL) and be seated!

This concept alleviates many MANY complaints by many loyal RCL cruisers such as consistently boring menus, too many tables for the servers, dress code infractions (the Grande in Quantum will be strictly formal, no smart casual or casual, there's a few people on my roll call who have expressed they have booked almost every night in the grande in order to be in a formal evening each night like the old days)... many other pros vs. cons. Consumers are demanding choices, constant change and never ending upgraded choices. RCL is listening and changing rather than sitting still.

I think Dynamic Dining will be awesome and I'm really looking forward to it. Once I've experienced it I will report back to CC with a full review of the Quantum and Dynamic Dining, but until each person here with an opinion tries it I think opinions should be tempered until you have actually experienced it as all of our opinions, including mine, are only uneducated guesses. :)

(the Grande in Quantum will be strictly formal, no smart casual or casual, there's a few people on my roll call who have expressed they have booked almost every night in the grande in order to be in a formal evening each night like the old days)

I hate to burst your bubble (or the bubble of those on your roll call), but RC is already backing off its claim/description of "formal every night".

Does this sound like required formal dress to you?

From RC's website for The Grande:

What to Wear

Cocktail dresses, gowns or dressy pantsuits are appropriate for women.

A jacket is required for men, along with pants (with no holes, rips or tears) and a sports shirt (must have sleeves) or sweater.

Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants at any time.

I hate to burst your bubble (or the bubble of those on your roll call), but RC is already backing off its claim/description of "formal every night".

Does this sound like required formal dress to you?

From RC's website for The Grande:

What to Wear

Cocktail dresses, gowns or dressy pantsuits are appropriate for women.

A jacket is required for men, along with pants (with no holes, rips or tears) and a sports shirt (must have sleeves) or sweater.

Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants at any time.

Hi Merion_Mom. Yup, saw this already long time ago but didn't feel it was necessary to explain in the context of the point I was making.

We are doing the Inaugural 8 day of the Quantum. I had no problems making the reservations for dinner each night. Now if all works without a problem I will be happy but for some reason I don't see that happening. One can hope though. I do not really like the concept , too set in my old ways, but if it works??:):)

Although the concept is not new it may be what the majority want but there is no way they will do it fleet wide.

Just like not every ship has not been converted to the Oasis Class..no mater how successful they have been. They will add things to make the experience more like the newer ships but the reason so many still book the older ships is because they like how things are on those ships...different.

I feel I am not comfortable without a promenade so the new Quantum Class really does not appeal to me but I will try it and it's new form of dinning but most likely end up back on Voyager and Freedom Class which are my favorite so far.

I also see no way they would change anything without proper testing on the first 2 ships offering this new dinning system.

So I think we will have traditional dinning for a few years yet.

Just my 2 cents.

How weird will this be for solo cruisers? I'm not sure I will like it at all.

I agree. The one thing I've enjoyed about cruising is that I'm at least guaranteed to have people the eat with at dinner. It was THE one thing I can't get from a land based vacation.

I sailed a one night cruise from NYC on Norwegian. They actually have a host for their single/solo meet event, whereas Royal Caribbean just puts an inconvenient meeting time in the Cruise Compass. I've never met any singles/solos at the RCI unhosted event. Had I known more about Norwegian, freestyle dining, and that they actually provide a host, I could have been able to eat dinner with a couple ladies I met at the event. They were going to dinner after the event, however, I had eaten a "snack" a couple hours earlier.

By 9pm I was getting hungry, so I went to the Norwegian MDR. The ladies I had met finished dinner when I arrived. I didn't have a reservation, so I had to wait in line while people in a larger party argued with the Maitre'D about a long empty table being held for another larger party with an 8:30pm reservation and wanted their party to sit together as the other party was looking like a no show. I their party got split up to table near one another, but got resolved to their satisfaction. I really don't care or remember, just that it created alot of unnecessary stress for everyone involved, including ME, who just wants to sit at any table NOW.

Once it was my turn, I was quickly seated at a table for two. After I placed my order, a Maitre'D or host came over and pointed to the empty. I thought they were going to ask if I would someone else to join me. No. He wanted to take the chair to another table, but at least he asked before taking the chair. Now I'm alone at a table for one, listening to other peoples conversations around me.

While I didn't enjoy that one dinner experience, I would sail Norwegian again because at least they have a way of meeting other people to find dining companions whereas with Royal's Dynamic Dining and their track record with solos means I would be eating alone each night.

I feel I am not comfortable without a promenade so the new Quantum Class really does not appeal to me but I will try it and it's new form of dinning but most likely end up back on Voyager and Freedom Class which are my favorite so far.

I have just found the FAQ's for Quantum of the Seas and you will be pleased to know that there is indeed a Royal Promenade on Quantum and presumably Anthem. See third question after clicking the link

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Quantum/Quantum_FAQs.pdf

Edited by floridaglen

I haven't followed all this "DD" closely - but???

Currently - we go to MTD at our leisure (our choice - no preplanning required). We can get our same team of waiters, and we have a different menu each night.

With this new concept - we have to plan ahead - and if we want the same waiters - we're stuck with the SAME menu for each night of an 8- or 9-night cruise. How is this better? What am I not understanding?

DD may not be to everyone's liking, but we are looking forward to these changes.

IMO, DD to me is very similar to MTD. I pre book our dinner time for MTD and did the same thing for Quantum. The only difference for us would be instead of eating in the same dining room each night, Quantum/Anthem will have many complimentary restaurants and specialty restaurants to eat in, which gives everyone more food choices for their dining pleasure.

It doesn't matter to us if we don't have the same table, or the same waiter, it's no big deal. change is good. And, we prefer a table for two.

I don't know how it would be considered more food choices. Most people will only have a choice of 4 free restaurants, because they are not sailing in a suite. These 4 restaurants will have the same menu each night. When you're on a 7 night cruise, you have a choice of 7 different menus, plus the classic always available items.

I have just found the FAQ's for Quantum of the Seas and you will be pleased to know that there is indeed a Royal Promenade on Quantum and presumably Anthem. See third question after clicking the link

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Quantum/Quantum_FAQs.pdf

Thanks for the info, I had a look at the ships plans/layout and did not see it so it will be interesting to sail her and see what they have done.

All the best.

The menus, even today, look grander than they actually are. I like not having to "plan" every second of my vacation....if I want planning, I'll stay at home, and check my daily schedule!

Oh, well.

Yep, I'm with you. We were booked on Anthem for next year and we changed our booking. After reading all about it we realized we might actually have to spreadsheet our vacation. Day 1 this, day 2 excursion, restaurant booking and which show.

It all sounded too much like work!

I don't know how it would be considered more food choices. Most people will only have a choice of 4 free restaurants, because they are not sailing in a suite. These 4 restaurants will have the same menu each night. When you're on a 7 night cruise, you have a choice of 7 different menus, plus the classic always available items.

Good point.

Whether I like it or not will depend on the quality of the food. More restaurants doesn't always equate to more choices or quality.

In addition, I usually eat healthy on cruises and typically lose weight. How is DD healthy choice restaurant going to work ? Can I get at least a cup of steamed veggies without fat like I can in the MDR with the same waiter? Or do I get a tasteless salad without dressing? Would be nice if we actually had more healthy eating options on a cruise (added bonus if it has some flavor).

Not a fan of the idea, I don't even know what I want for dinner tonight let alone months down the road on vacation.

That's just me though, I'm sure once the booking online functions are 'bug-lessened' some people will find making their reservations nearly as fun as the actual trip.

But I think it will be a question of layout more than anything. Reworking the usual RCL Main Dining room into multiple specialty restaurants is possible, but not without opening the big toolbox.

Edited by MichaelCMTX

I have to say I just couldn't wait to book my cruise on the Quantum the morning it opened up for my tier group. Got an excellent deal especially compared to prices today. Once this dynamic group announcement happened.....we switched our booking. While this may be great for some, we tend to cruise longer amounts of time and our first cruise was to be the 11 nights on Dec 1. No entertainment schedule had been announced so unlike the Allure or Oasis, too difficult to plan. Our last Allure trip was like a spreadsheet.....and two of us online and too many "oops honey can't get in that show at that time its all booked....sorry honey can't eat second seating dining because all the shows for earlier are booked" it was just terrible. Too stressful. The whole idea of cruising to me....show up ....tell me where my seat is and what time to be in it for dinner...pamper me and take care of me all week. I am happy camper. Walk in second night...my ice tea is sitting there ready with lemon they know i like coffee with my desserts....i can't have fried foods so always having suggestions. That is a stress free dining experience. We just did MTD on Serenade in March and that was great. We just walked up and were seated right away. We split between two waiters but we were in same area each night and did meet the people around us and pretty much ate the rest of the week with them close to the same times. We missed having a larger table but service was excellent.

Count me among those willing to give DD the benefit of the doubt.

For the poster above who said "I don't want to be told what time to eat dinner".... you won't be. It's the exact opposite of that.

I also like selection among restaurants. I like specialty restaurants even if I have to pay a few extra $, but I understand that it's not for everyone.

Like many of you, I used to enjoy meeting other people on cruises at our tables.... but on the last few RCCL cruises with standard dining, one or more of the following has been my experience:

a)other party/parties don't show up, or show up late

b)my kids get cranky because they want to eat right away and not wait for the others

c)my kids, now teens, feel awkward with the other kids or lack of kids at the table with us and decide to just eat room service or WJ

d)I haven't had a waiter or assistant remember my drink since about 1992

Royal has become more and more family-oriented, and to be honest, flexible dining is just more family friendly. Maybe that's their angle here.

You will see below that I have sailed NCL recently, several times. One of the reasons is the 'freestyle' dining.. it just flows better for my family. Sometimes you eat a big lunch, and want to have dinner later. Sometimes you skip lunch, and want an early dinner. Or there's a show you want to see. Not sure about Royal yet, but with NCL Freestyle you DO NOT have to make all your reservations in advance. The general advice on this with Freestyle is, if you really really really want to eat in a specific restaurant, make a reservation. Otherwise, they hold back 35 - 50% of the tables for those who just want to show up. So we did that, regularly. OK, sometimes (as with MTD) we had to wait 10 or 15 minutes for a table. No biggie.

Now, I grant that it remains to be seen exactly how Royal will implement these changes. How many tables they hold back for walk ins ... will they have those cool green/yellow/red electronic graphics everywhere to tell you which restaurants are full and which aren't... will they seat you with others or with only your own party... all filed under "More to Come". And, I don't like the idea of the complementary venues having the exact same menu every night... I hope they have a couple of specials as well.

I don't want to have to "spreadsheet my vacation" either, at least not down to the day/hour. But I do like choice and flexibility. If they do it right, it has great potential.

I'll be on the Maiden quantum voyage and will be sure to report back on my experience.

What do I hate to do on a land vacation? Answer figure out where to eat. My favorite part of cruising is I don't have to figure out where to eat. I can just go to the MDR, WJ or a SR for a special occasion(Or BOGO coupon). I'm not interested in this DD concept. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Edited by FLACRUISER99