New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

6 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

And the price of a drink package also includes gratuities?

Yes, gratuities are included with drink packages. However if you order a drink that costs more than the limit, then you pay the difference plus the gratuity on the difference. I have the elite drink package which includes drinks up to $15, so if I order a $16 drink, I will need to pay an extra $1 plus $.18 for the gratuity. 

However, I plan to add into my cruise budget money for extra tips so I can add an extra dollar or so tip when I get a drink. 

On 7/8/2023 at 6:04 PM, mi-oh-tx said:

We requested early dining and table for 2, but our print out says open seating table for 6.  I was just on the phone with HAL yesterday and they said to wait and change it on board.  This is our first time with HAL

if it is important, go to the Maitre'D as soon as they open, slip a $10 or $20 quietly as you give your request. They almost always some through. smile and say thank you...they wil know you every time. I don't always do this, but have if it is important that cruise. My husband can be a stickler for table for two. 

1 hour ago, bajae said:

Yes, gratuities are included with drink packages. However if you order a drink that costs more than the limit, then you pay the difference plus the gratuity on the difference. I have the elite drink package which includes drinks up to $15, so if I order a $16 drink, I will need to pay an extra $1 plus $.18 for the gratuity. 

However, I plan to add into my cruise budget money for extra tips so I can add an extra dollar or so tip when I get a drink. 

Why do you tip an extra dollar when you get a drink (for a total of 24.67% on a $15 drink, if my math is correct)?  Do you think that 18% is insufficient for adequate service?

10 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

Why do you tip an extra dollar when you get a drink (for a total of 24.67% on a $15 drink, if my math is correct)?  Do you think that 18% is insufficient for adequate service?

Because that dollar goes right into the bartenders pocket and he will remember you

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, jonyboy said:

Because that dollar goes right into the bartenders pocket and he will remember you

I thought the tips given when you get a drink are pooled among the bartenders/bar waiters.  Thought I have seen them put them into a tip "jar" under the bar.

1 hour ago, jonyboy said:

So it's "To Insure Proper Service"?  Something that isn't accomplished when the cruise line charges your account and then distributes the "gratuities" among the crew as they see fit.

1 hour ago, crusin'k said:

I thought the tips given when you get a drink are pooled among the bartenders/bar waiters.  Thought I have seen them put them into a tip "jar" under the bar.

You may have seen that. Oftentimes the crew in a given lounge have an agreement among themselves about sharing extra tips; that doesn't mean it is added to the pool. 
It's a good method of team building, so that stewards help each other out. 

It also makes it easier for the passengers who want to leave an extra tip at the end of the cruise. All they have to do is address the envelope to the '(name of lounge) staff' and be done with it. No need to concern yourself with who served you how many times, and all that. 

New to HAL. Never been to Alaska.  Trying to make some Alaska decisions. Pros and Cons of Vancouver vs Seattle Round trip?   We are from Texas, so I’m assuming flying into Seattle would be cheaper.  Has anyone taken the Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver?   If you fly into Vancouver, what airline did you use.  Not really interested in having HAL book our airfare. Thanks for the help.

2 hours ago, islandwoman said:

Because they are working hard to make my vacation enjoyable. I appreciate that. I also rarely tip less than 20% at restaurants. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, islandwoman said:

So it's "To Insure Proper Service"?  Something that isn't accomplished when the cruise line charges your account and then distributes the "gratuities" among the crew as they see fit.

When a server is nice to you and pays attention to you I like to give an additional tip.   Not just on a cruise

2 minutes ago, afdds said:

New to HAL. Never been to Alaska.  Trying to make some Alaska decisions. Pros and Cons of Vancouver vs Seattle Round trip?   We are from Texas, so I’m assuming flying into Seattle would be cheaper.  Has anyone taken the Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver?   If you fly into Vancouver, what airline did you use.  Not really interested in having HAL book our airfare. Thanks for the help.

We fly from DFW and find Seattle is always much less expensive. Seattle you also avoid going through customs at the airport. Boarding ship in Seattle is MUCH quicker than Vancouver, as well, as you'll go through customs process a couple times in Vancouver boarding the ship (several threads on here about that).

We have flown American and Alaska.

Vancouver was a great city to play tourist - lots to do, just not worth it for the beat down at the cruise terminal. There are a couple other Alaskan ports that we enjoy that you get with Vancouver that you don't get with Seattle. And time in port seems to be longer for Vancouver sailings vs Seattle.

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, afdds said:

You can compare schedules and pricing for flying SAT to both SEA and YVR by using Google Flights. Generally, it is less expensive and less hassle to fly into SEA from the US than into YVR. 

All three legacy US airlines (American, United, Delta) will fly from SAT to either airport with one connection. Other domestic carriers (Southwest, Frontier, Spirit) will fly into SEA, but do not fly into Canada. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, afdds said:

Hello fellow San Antonian.  American airlines flies directly to Vancouver from DFW, we did it in 2019. Both AA and Alaska Airlines fly direct to Seattle from DFW. Flying to Vancouver will require going through customs at the airport while Seattle has no customs. As you know living in SAT it is hard to fly anywhere without going through Houston or DFW.

Once you book your cruise check out HAL Flight Ease online to compare costs for flying to either city. In 2019 we got our air for a lot less on FE than we could book ourselves.  We flew American to Vancouver and home from Anchorage on Air Alaska. 

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

Is Holland America's "Flight Ease" the same as Princess' EZ Air?  In any case, I have a question about Flight Ease: 

Can I book two one-way flights instead of a round trip?  The reason I want to do that is because I need to fly from Florida to San Diego and back for a 51 day cruise.  The airlines will release their return flights 51 days after they release the outbound flight.  I'd like to be able to see the outbound flight options as soon as they become available instead of waiting nearly two months to book a round-trip, when some of the best outbound options might have disappeared. 

48 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

Is Holland America's "Flight Ease" the same as Princess' EZ Air?  In any case, I have a question about Flight Ease: 

Can I book two one-way flights instead of a round trip?  The reason I want to do that is because I need to fly from Florida to San Diego and back for a 51 day cruise.  The airlines will release their return flights 51 days after they release the outbound flight.  I'd like to be able to see the outbound flight options as soon as they become available instead of waiting nearly two months to book a round-trip, when some of the best outbound options might have disappeared. 

As I understand it:  The date you can select to buy airfare from flight ease is 335 days before your last flight.  If you do change the calendar to accommodate this request you will also reset the clock on your first flight 

Edited by Mary229

1 hour ago, islandwoman said:

HAL FE and Princess EZ air are almost identical. Best for one way flights or using different airlines for each way.  Last year we booked Untied to Rome and home from Venice on Delta using FE.  I think you have to book the full RT fare when you book, but I would call FE to ask about your question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

As I understand it:  The date you can select to buy airfare from flight ease is 335 days before your last flight.  If you do change the calendar to accommodate this request you will also reset the clock on your first flight 

Ps. There is a 30 day limit on the flight window 

First HAL cruise. How many dressy nights might be on a 21 night cruise & how dressy is HAL on these nights (we like to dress up). Wil my husband need a sport coat/suit for other nights??  Not a new cruiser, just new to HAL

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

First HAL cruise. How many dressy nights might be on a 21 night cruise & how dressy is HAL on these nights (we like to dress up). Wil my husband need a sport coat/suit for other nights??  Not a new cruiser, just new to HAL

If it is a true 21-night cruise, and not two cruises adding up to 21-nights, then there will definitely be three dressy nights. There may be a 4th (I can't remember the cut-off point), but I think not. 
If this is a 10-day plus an 11-day there will be 4 dressy nights. 

You can dress to the nines, if that's your preference; there will be a few others who will also be dressed. 
The other nights are casual, with a collared shirt and long pants acceptable for men. A sport coat is fine, if he would prefer. 

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

If it is a true 21-night cruise, and not two cruises adding up to 21-nights, then there will definitely be three dressy nights. There may be a 4th (I can't remember the cut-off point), but I think not. 
If this is a 10-day plus an 11-day there will be 4 dressy nights. 

You can dress to the nines, if that's your preference; there will be a few others who will also be dressed. 
The other nights are casual, with a collared shirt and long pants acceptable for men. A sport coat is fine, if he would prefer. 

Thanks!  It is a true 21 night cruise ocr 24 to/from Boston to Panama Canal

10 hours ago, RuthC said:

How do most people dress on these nights?  Are they still called "formal" nights?

6 hours ago, islandwoman said:

How do most people dress on these nights?  Are they still called "formal" nights?

I'm curious as well - I finally gave my tux to Goodwill after not wearing it for nearly 10 years. I have not worn a jacket in nearly that long as well (Celebrity, NCL, Carnival, Royal), and I'd have to go to YouTube to learn how to tie a tie !  😉

Tom

2 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I'm curious as well - I finally gave my tux to Goodwill after not wearing it for nearly 10 years. I have not worn a jacket in nearly that long as well (Celebrity, NCL, Carnival, Royal), and I'd have to go to YouTube to learn how to tie a tie !  😉

Tom

On our last HAL cruise, in 2019, I think I there were 3 or 4 gentlemen I saw in a tux.  I was not one of them

1 hour ago, jonyboy said:

On our last HAL cruise, in 2019, I think I there were 3 or 4 gentlemen I saw in a tux.  I was not one of them

May this year Eurodam AK, I saw a young man (under 30) in a tux at Canaletto on dressy night; his +1 was in a full gown w/corsage. It was so sweet. They stood out, but not in a bad way.

DH was uncomfortable just looking at the tux, I think he pulled at his throat at least 4 times, lol.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2