New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

3 hours ago, kiwixmas said:

Mariners credits ..

we are on the eurodam in 2025  for 30 days  with veranda  V  category   do we get 30 mariners points for this  ??   + plus any on board spending   

thanks in adavance

Yes on 30 days credit. Spending credit is per $300 spent up to a max number.

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

1 hour ago, laufschnecke said:

What is the added value of buying a beverage card before the cruise? Is it for convenience, will it save me anything?

If we don't get the Have It All, we get the beverage card. It is strictly for convenience and not having a fistful of receipts. Any monies left on the card will be refunded at the end of the cruise.

1 hour ago, laufschnecke said:

One more question. What is usually the last time to leave the ship on disembarkation?

Typically, they want you off by 9:00-9:30 at the end of the cruise. Crew is anxious to get the rooms ready for the next guests who are, like you were, very eager to get on. 🙂

1 minute ago, Dismomx5 said:

If we don't get the Have It All, we get the beverage card. It is strictly for convenience and not having a fistful of receipts. Any monies left on the card will be refunded at the end of the cruise.

🙂

So the beverage card you out a dollar value on it and if you don’t use it all, they refund you?  I’ve not heard of that before. 

1 hour ago, Dismomx5 said:

I'm familiar with HIA and the various beverage packages, but this is the first that I've heard of a beverage card on HAL, let alone a refundable one. Is it for alcoholic beverages, or for drinks like coffee or water?

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

I'm familiar with HIA and the various beverage packages, but this is the first that I've heard of a beverage card on HAL, let alone a refundable one. Is it for alcoholic beverages, or for drinks like coffee or water?

Here are the beverage cards that are available. One is for any non-alcoholic drinks, and one for any drink. We've used both the regular and the non-alcoholic cards in the past. Yes, when we had some money left on one (I'd prebought 3 and only used 2½) we were refunded the money that wasn't used. Basically it is like a gift card. image.png.a4a3bf4f63a25b758b9a395249c90ef6.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Dismomx5 said:

Here are the beverage cards that are available. One is for any non-alcoholic drinks, and one for any drink. We've used both the regular and the non-alcoholic cards in the past. Yes, when we had some money left on one (I'd prebought 3 and only used 2½) we were refunded the money that wasn't used. Basically it is like a gift card. image.png.a4a3bf4f63a25b758b9a395249c90ef6.png

Many thanks @Dismomx5. We have HIA for our upcoming HAL cruise, but it's nice to know about the option. We've had a BP on all of our HAL cruises to date, and while I was aware of Gift Cards, the Beverage Cards just hadn't come to my attention previously. Old dogs, new tricks... 😇

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dismomx5 said:

For these beverage packages, can you only purchase once on board? I’m not seeing an option for this on the HA site. Just the non refundable (you both need to purchase) packages. 

1 minute ago, Mimie03 said:

For these beverage packages, can you only purchase once on board? I’m not seeing an option for this on the HA site. Just the non refundable (you both need to purchase) packages. 

These cards are available before you get on the ship. On the laptop, I can click on "Purchase Beverages" and then the cards come up on the left side as "Beverage Cards (4)" I hope this helps.

Just now, Dismomx5 said:

These cards are available before you get on the ship. On the laptop, I can click on "Purchase Beverages" and then the cards come up on the left side as "Beverage Cards (4)" I hope this helps.

Thanks. I’ll log in that way. It could be that they’re just not showing up on my mobile.  

I read that it was possible to get one star status if you had another cruise under another of the Carnival lines.  I thought I would share that I was able to do this. I emailed the Mariner’s society. I provided both our Mariner’s numbers, and the information about our cruise (Carnival Conquest, Western Caribbean, and dates sailed).  I heard back in minutes and we had one star status. Obviously no days but at least I should get a tile, fingers crossed. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, bajae said:

I read that it was possible to get one star status if you had another cruise under another of the Carnival lines.  I thought I would share that I was able to do this. I emailed the Mariner’s society. I provided both our Mariner’s numbers, and the information about our cruise (Carnival Conquest, Western Caribbean, and dates sailed).  I heard back in minutes and we had one star status. Obviously no days but at least I should get a tile, fingers crossed. 

Good for you 😊  Now tell me how I can get 4 star status if I have Elite status on Princess 🤣

• Haha 3

Hi Everyone. We have done a few cruises over the years but have not sailed with HAL before. We are excited to do so. We along with another couple will be sailing July of 2024. We are scheduled for the DL1 Triple Denali. We will be boarding the Nieuw Amsterdam ship in Whittier for a seven day cruise to Vancouver. We booked our cruise through Costco 5/23. In the past when we have cruised we have received information about when excursions will be open to book as well as specialty dining, etc. I haven't seen or received any information regarding this and just happened to check our reservation and the excursions have already been opened and some already have wait lists. So I'm asking those of you that are seasoned as to HAL operates, can you give me any idea as to when the specialty dining reservations might become available? I don't want to miss out. Also can anyone tell me which nights might be the Gala evenings? I am enjoying trying to read and learn as much as I can from all of you on the HAL threads. Thank you so much for the information! Oh! Also do most of you book your excursions through HAL or do you use other vendors? Is there an area to read about shore excursions and reviews from past passengers? 

TIA all. This newbie appreciates all help and suggestions.

39 minutes ago, trvllite said:

Oh! Also do most of you book your excursions through HAL or do you use other vendors? Is there an area to read about shore excursions and reviews from past passengers? 

I have sailed many cruises, but only once with HAL. That time I did not take any organized shore excursions at all. I will tell you my suggestions, for what they're worth.

The advantages of booking through the cruise line are that you won't miss the ship and you can use your OBC to pay for them.  Also, if there is a change in the ship's itinerary, it's easier and sometimes cheaper to change/cancel your excursion.  Buying a ship's shore excursion is less work than using another vendor.

Using other vendors has these advantages:  Often you can tour with a smaller group.  Sometimes you can alter the excursion to suit yourself and/or your small group. You don't have to report to a meeting area on the ship a long time before the tour is scheduled to begin.  Usually you can save money.  Sometimes, it will be the exact same excursion that you could have paid more for through the ship.  Sometime you can designate the departure and return times to suit yourself.

In the end, it's a matter of personal preference, whatever is most important to you.  

On 9/24/2023 at 9:25 PM, bajae said:

I wonder if there is a time limit on this? My last cruise was almost 15 years ago but was carnival. Think I’ll give it a whirl and find out today…

Edited by AllTheSun

5 hours ago, AllTheSun said:

I wonder if there is a time limit on this?

I've never heard of a time limit on this. I have seen published info on this, and I don't recall ever reading anything about time limits. Once you've sailed a ship in the Carnival Corp family, you qualify as a Mariner with HAL. Zero days, but 1* status. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, trvllite said:

You are also new to cruise critic, so one of the first things you need to know is that it is a big no no to name a Travel Agent here, as you did when you mentioned where you purchased your cruise.

As to the rest I don't have much to offer as I've only sailed on HAL once before and it was pre-pandemic, so I imagine a lot has changed.  But there are lots of folks here who have sailed HAL lots of times so I'm sure you'll get some good advice.  Have a great cruise.

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

You are also new to cruise critic, so one of the first things you need to know is that it is a big no no to name a Travel Agent here, as you did when you mentioned where you purchased your cruise.

As to the rest I don't have much to offer as I've only sailed on HAL once before and it was pre-pandemic, so I imagine a lot has changed.  But there are lots of folks here who have sailed HAL lots of times so I'm sure you'll get some good advice.  Have a great cruise.

Ooops! Thank you....will remember that from here going forward. 

8 hours ago, AllTheSun said:

I wonder if there is a time limit on this? My last cruise was almost 15 years ago but was carnival. Think I’ll give it a whirl and find out today…

It will definitely be accepted.  I am always surprised when I go to the Carnival website that they still recognize me as a repeat customer and it is well over 15 years. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, trvllite said:

Hi Everyone. We have done a few cruises over the years but have not sailed with HAL before. We are excited to do so. We along with another couple will be sailing July of 2024. We are scheduled for the DL1 Triple Denali. We will be boarding the Nieuw Amsterdam ship in Whittier for a seven day cruise to Vancouver. In the past when we have cruised we have received information about when excursions will be open to book as well as specialty dining, etc.

I haven't seen or received any information regarding this and just happened to check our reservation and the excursions have already been opened and some already have wait lists. So I'm asking those of you that are seasoned as to HAL operates, can you give me any idea as to when the specialty dining reservations might become available? I don't want to miss out.

Also can anyone tell me which nights might be the Gala evenings? I am enjoying trying to read and learn as much as I can from all of you on the HAL threads. Thank you so much for the information! Oh! Also do most of you book your excursions through HAL or do you use other vendors? Is there an area to read about shore excursions and reviews from past passengers? 

That is a very nice itinerary! Special to have both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay NP.

As far as ShoreEx and specialty dining, HAL has not been sending alerts. Just keep checking your booking/itinerary page. I can't guess at your Gala nights, because no times are showing on the listing. Probably one of the glacier viewing days, and whichever of the three ports that has the earliest departure. NOT the 13th, so that might be a festive last night for you!

Someone has started a Roll Call for your cruise, but only the launch post so far. My experience (three HAL AK cruises) is that AK RCs are very quiet. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2943309-july-7-2024-whittier-to-vancouver/#comment-65525680

On more active Roll Calls, people who are checking, often post things like excursion or dining publication.

From my experiences, my recommendations for your three ports are: In Skagway, take the ship's tour that takes the train up and a bus down (two points of view!) with a side stop of maybe a gold-rush camp thrown in (you will still have time to walk around the town). In Juneau, take a tour (ship's or private) to see the local pod of whales; the ship will probably offer a multi-part tour with Mendenhall Glacier (or Lake) and possibly lunch at a lodge. In Ketchikan, we used private tour with 

https://www.aksourdoughtours.com/wildlife_tours.php

who will drop you off at Creek Street. Below Creek Street, if you take an earlier tour, you will have time to eat at The Alaska Fish House and/or take in the Lumberjack Show (which I have not done but plan to next visit!).

Welcome to posting on Cruise Critic! And, have a great cruise! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

That is a very nice itinerary! Special to have both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay NP.

As far as ShoreEx and specialty dining, HAL has not been sending alerts. Just keep checking your booking/itinerary page. I can't guess at your Gala nights, because no times are showing on the listing. Probably one of the glacier viewing days, and whichever of the three ports that has the earliest departure. NOT the 13th, so that might be a festive last night for you!

Someone has started a Roll Call for your cruise, but only the launch post so far. My experience (three HAL AK cruises) is that AK RCs are very quiet. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2943309-july-7-2024-whittier-to-vancouver/#comment-65525680

On more active Roll Calls, people who are checking, often post things like excursion or dining publication.

From my experiences, my recommendations for your three ports are: In Skagway, take the ship's tour that takes the train up and a bus down (two points of view!) with a side stop of maybe a gold-rush camp thrown in (you will still have time to walk around the town). In Juneau, take a tour (ship's or private) to see the local pod of whales; the ship will probably offer a multi-part tour with Mendenhall Glacier (or Lake) and possibly lunch at a lodge. In Ketchikan, we used private tour with 

https://www.aksourdoughtours.com/wildlife_tours.php

who will drop you off at Creek Street. Below Creek Street, if you take an earlier tour, you will have time to eat at The Alaska Fish House and/or take in the Lumberjack Show (which I have not done but plan to next visit!).

Welcome to posting on Cruise Critic! And, have a great cruise! 

First time to AK for our group of four. We are excited. Thank you for the great information! I really appreciate your suggestions and insight. I will look at the roll call page and will add the tour that you mentioned to our list of possibilities. So much to do...so little time! Thank you again.

On 9/24/2023 at 9:25 PM, bajae said:

Did this for my fam this morning and had the match by this afternoon. Our last sailing was back in ‘07, as others expected no issues. Looking forward to my free cocktail coupon!

• Like 1

I know there is a dedicated west coast port forum, but all the ports are together and the search function is very weak, which makes it hard to find anything useful.  So since HAL has several popular cruises that embark out of San Diego I'm hoping I can get some good feedback here on hotels, if I decide to come in early. 

I know there are 2 or 3 that are so close that a lot of folks just walk to the cruise port.  I have mobility issues so that's not for me.  OTOH I can't see getting a taxi or Lyft to travel less than half a mile.  Also, the ones close in seem to be very pricey, in the 300+ range.

So I looked around on Expedia and found The Bay Club Hotel & Marina.  It's about 15 minutes from the cruise terminal, about half the price of the hotes close in, and got a very solid 9.0/10 rating.  So, does anyone have any feedback on it or can suggest something comparable?

Edited by Toofarfromthesea