New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

31 minutes ago, Steerpike58 said:

I choose to use one plastic bottle over and over, rather than use those aluminum re-usables, because the plastic ones are lighter. But - if they are truly making a real effort re: plastic, I will bring a re-usable aluminum bottle. 

You might prefer a metal reusable bottle, as I do.  The ones with wide mouths hold ice and some will keep your water cold for a long time.  They are also easier to keep clean than plastic bottles. Mine is made from food grade stainless-steel.  I find that it is the water that's heavy, rather than the bottle.

• Like 1

That's all good news! I actually wrote to Viking complaining about the way they really push plastic bottles onto people when leaving the ship. I watched so many people carry them onto the coach, then ... leave them there (in Vietnam - Ha Long Bay - they wouldn't let you on the Ha Long Bay cruise with any plastic bottles so that was good). Then again, in Thailand, my girlfriend was so overheated, she took a bottle from the coach and poured it over her head! 🙂 

So ... there  are two kinds of re-usable metal (aluminum/stainless steel) water bottles.  There's a plain 'bottle' - no insulation, basic cap, and there's the insulated kind (double-sleeve, insulated cap).  I have all three types here at home.  The plastic bottle weighs 1oz; the aluminum 'plain' bottle weighs 1.5oz, and the insulated bottles (modest capacity, similar to the other two) weighs 8.5 oz to 10oz - a LOT more. The three 'insulated' guys are on the left, then the plain aluminum, then the plastic. 

image.png.39f0875023406a9ae7e6b50f2d59f2d2.png

I know 8oz extra is not the end of the world, but ... there are two of us and we're going to be out and about for 12+ hours with one small backpack, which needs to carry sunscreen, hat, windbreaker, umbrellas, 2 water bottles, spare battery, ... and all the other stuff you never think of ... 

But anyway - GOOD for HAL for making this happen! 

Edited by Steerpike58
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Steerpike58 said:

That's all good news! I actually wrote to Viking complaining about the way they really push plastic bottles onto people when leaving the ship. I watched so many people carry them onto the coach, then ... leave them there (in Vietnam - Ha Long Bay - they wouldn't let you on the Ha Long Bay cruise with any plastic bottles so that was good). Then again, in Thailand, my girlfriend was so overheated, she took a bottle from the coach and poured it over her head! 🙂 

So ... there  are two kinds of re-usable metal (aluminum/stainless steel) water bottles.  There's a plain 'bottle' - no insulation, basic cap, and there's the insulated kind (double-sleeve, insulated cap).  I have all three types here at home.  The plastic bottle weighs 1oz; the aluminum 'plain' bottle weighs 1.5oz, and the insulated bottles (modest capacity, similar to the other two) weighs 8.5 oz to 10oz - a LOT more. The three 'insulated' guys are on the left, then the plain aluminum, then the plastic. 

image.png.39f0875023406a9ae7e6b50f2d59f2d2.png

I know 8oz extra is not the end of the world, but ... there are two of us and we're going to be out and about for 12+ hours with one small backpack, which needs to carry sunscreen, hat, windbreaker, umbrellas, 2 water bottles, spare battery, ... and all the other stuff you never think of ... 

But anyway - GOOD for HAL for making this happen! 

I buy the larger water bottle on HAL, and reuse that for excursions It is similar to your aluminum second from the right.
I can also attest that I have accidentally brought on a plastic water bottle in the pocket of my carry on. No one batted an eye, so when I realized what I'd done, I used it for my bedside water bottle for the trip. I took it home and recycled it there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So to all you re-usable bottle users ... I just took out one of mine for a trial tonight on my daily walk, first time ever using one (and it happened to be in the 80s F). Big problem - you can't see the level!  I always 'pace myself' so I make sure I don't run out before the end (I learned this hiking in Arizona in the dessert in 110+F heat!). If I have a good amount left, I'll guzzle a bit but if I'm running low, I'll be more conservative (and start looking for a refill soluiton). Anyway - with a clear plastic bottle, you can easily see the level. Do you guys just guess based on weight? Is there some trick? Shake it? So much to learn, so little time 🙂

4 hours ago, Steerpike58 said:

Do you guys just guess based on weight? Is there some trick? Shake it? So much to learn, so little time 🙂

I have to take off the top to drink.  So I can see the water level at that time, each time.

61sJH1MCybL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The new ones have chug caps that are clear to see through, but they are a bit heavier than the one I have.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steerpike58 said:

So to all you re-usable bottle users ... I just took out one of mine for a trial tonight on my daily walk, first time ever using one (and it happened to be in the 80s F). Big problem - you can't see the level!  I always 'pace myself' so I make sure I don't run out before the end (I learned this hiking in Arizona in the dessert in 110+F heat!). If I have a good amount left, I'll guzzle a bit but if I'm running low, I'll be more conservative (and start looking for a refill soluiton). Anyway - with a clear plastic bottle, you can easily see the level. Do you guys just guess based on weight? Is there some trick? Shake it? So much to learn, so little time 🙂

Just based on experience I know how much water I have. I hiking often and my water bottle will last about 10 miles depending on heat and terrain. For a walk around a port stop, I don't carry water with me. If I get thirsty, I stop somewhere to enjoy a beverage.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Steerpike58 said:

I've used a stainless-steel water bottle for many years, and I've found that I can definitely know how much water is left just by the weight. This wasn't something I thought about or tried to do; it was just something that evolved on its own.

• Like 2

We enjoy drinking the surcharge free water onboard the ship that comes with ice and a cup....so far, it's worked out fine for us and does not require us hauling bottles, buying special bottles or buying water onboard. 

I'm glad we all have choices......Enjoy the water....no matter the source or the effort to haul it around. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Never cruised before so finding this board very useful before our first ever trip to Alaska on the Koningsdam.  Can't find an answer to this question though.

When ordering room service if I want to tip the cabin steward, do I need to always have cash on hand or is there a chit I can sign to charge to the cabin, like in a hotel?

2 minutes ago, Grumzy said:

Never cruised before so finding this board very useful before our first ever trip to Alaska on the Koningsdam.  Can't find an answer to this question though.

When ordering room service if I want to tip the cabin steward, do I need to always have cash on hand or is there a chit I can sign to charge to the cabin, like in a hotel?

We just always bring $2-$3 per day in singles for our coffee delivery person In the morning. It will not be your cabin steward delivering your room service. I put the $$/on the table when we go to bed so it’s ready in the morning.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Grumzy said:

Welcome to HAL! There is not a paper to sign for room service. You will see those at other places, such as bars for example, but not room service. Best to have cash available if you want to tip. And be prepared - they're in/out quickly.

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Grumzy said:

I stock up on fives and ones when we travel so I'll have these handy for porters, room service or whatever. 

• Like 2

If I book a cruise for ocean view category along with Club Orange and later accept an upgrade offer for a higher cabin category, will I be able use the Club Orange cabin upgrade with the new higher category?

Thanks,

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, simonaitch said:

I have 2 complimentary meals in Pinnacle and Canaletto, whats the policy regarding tipping ?

If you choose to tip extra, that's up to you. You already pay daily "crew appreciation"

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, simonaitch said:

I have 2 complimentary meals in Pinnacle and Canaletto, whats the policy regarding tipping ?

I know if you purchase a meal in Pinnacle or Canaletto, an extra 18% is included for the gratuity. I do not know how it works if you have a complimentary meal. It is possible, you could be charged extra for the gratuity.

Jim

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, jeh10641 said:

I know if you purchase a meal in Pinnacle or Canaletto, an extra 18% is included for the gratuity. I do not know how it works if you have a complimentary meal. It is possible, you could be charged extra for the gratuity.

Jim

The 18% fee is covered by the complimentary credit.  Ditto with drink packages, the 18% tip is covered 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Steerpike58 said:

What was the basis for this complementary meal? Just curious!

Many HAL cruisers book with Have It All (HIA) or Have It All Plus (Early Booking Bonus). Both of these include one or more complimentary meals - based on length of cruise.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2024 at 8:33 PM, Lido deck main said:

No, they have the espresso machines in one of the corners of the lido.  Just like they have in the exploration cafe area.  You would get your own speciality coffee, people wait in line in the lido for speciality coffee just like you would in line at the exploration cafe.

On 8/12/2024 at 2:11 AM, Mary229 said:

Not all ships have specialty coffee in the lido. On the Volendam now - they do not.  I have never seen self serve espresso.  I will look today. 

I'm on the oosterdam now and there is NO self serve espresso machine to be found in the lido.  I asked several severs and looked everywhere.  They told me there's no way to order one ... I must go to explorations cafe on 11 (crow's nest).  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steerpike58 said:

What was the basis for this complementary meal? Just curious!

In addition to HIA included dinners, some travel agents gift dinners to their clients.

• Like 1