New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

2 hours ago, shudie said:

Thank you for clarifying. We are doing the B2B Baltic and Viking Passage with 2 children and are hoping they can swim indoors if that option is available. 

You’ll be fine.  The LIdo pool is the indoor (covered) pool.  (Midship). Children and adults are permitted in that pool.

Zuiderdam cabin VB Veranda - does anyone know where I can find a picture of these cabins done up for family of 4 please? Is it just that teeny sofa pulled out? 

Also, does anyone know if the Baltic cruises get many families? If Viking Passage is in the UK summer break, is it likely to get more families? We aren’t too fussed... but might be nice to hook up for private tours. 

Thanks. 

1. i find these boards to be invaluable in terms of being able to find information and answers...THANK YOU to all who spend time here and answer with very specific information.

2. we are on the Veendam in May 2019, my question is, I want to book train tickets for our family from Toulon to Marseille, is there a way to know prior to leaving if we will port in Toulon proper or the other port of LaSeyne - and also, is just plain stupid to prebook tickets not knowing which port and how long it will take to get to the train?  It says we are in port 8-6, does that mean we could get off the ship at 8 and walk or taxi to the train to catch a 845 train or is that foolishly optimistic?  

3. also, does anyone know for the return, from marseille, are there allot of options for time, as i am looking now it really only shows thru March, I have to assume that in summer when cruise ships are more plentiful that perhaps there are a few additional trains but again, is that totally wrong.

appreciate any advice on this -- esp from anyone who may have done just this. 

We are on Holland America Veendam, Neptune Suite (i had seen a few things that made it seem like if in a Suite you may get to debark early, but  wasnt clear to me)

Thank you and Thank you.

33 minutes ago, orangeglitter said:

can someone clarify the unlimited laundry? Is it per room or person? Can two people send laundry for one fee?

It is "per Stateroom", so as many people as are "residing" in the Stateroom may send laundry for one fee.

13 minutes ago, lb0103 said:

Can someone please tell me if there is a Catholic priest onboard HAL ship? I know the last time we were on HAL (over 5 years ago) there was, we are on a 14 day and hope that there still is.

Yes, there has always been a Catholic priest on every HAL sailing we've been on. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lb0103 said:

Can someone please tell me if there is a Catholic priest onboard HAL ship? I know the last time we were on HAL (over 5 years ago) there was, we are on a 14 day and hope that there still is.

Yep.

HAL ships sail with a Catholic chaplain for the crew, and he will celebrate Mass daily for pax.  Check the

Patter for times.  (That's not to say it's a can't-sail-without-one billet, but it's rare they cannot find a

replacement, even on short notice, if they need to.)

He also conducts non-denominational services and ministers to all comers, Catholic or not.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Haboob said:

Yep.

HAL ships sail with a Catholic chaplain for the crew, and he will celebrate Mass daily for pax.  Check the

Patter for times.  (That's not to say it's a can't-sail-without-one billet, but it's rare they cannot find a

replacement, even on short notice, if they need to.)

He also conducts non-denominational services and ministers to all comers, Catholic or not.

Just a small correction - it's the When and Where (daily programme) not the Patter (I think that is Princess).

Not all Catholic priest do the non denominational services now.  Some do but many do not and if not,  they are "led" by the congregation.

13 minutes ago, kazu said:

Just a small correction - it's the When and Where (daily programme) not the Patter (I think that is Princess).

Not all Catholic priest do the non denominational services now.  Some do but many do not and if not,  they are "led" by the congregation.

"Patter"::blush::  Oops!

It may have changed in the last year, but the non-denominational service and general ministry has been

in the billet's duties.  ::shrugs::

20 minutes ago, kazu said:

I frequently lead the non denominational services as a lay person. 

Just now, Haboob said:

"Patter"::blush::  Oops!

It may have changed in the last year, but the non-denominational service and general ministry has been

in the billet's duties.  ::shrugs::

LOL on the "blush".

I can tell you that in all honesty it was not done by the chaplain/priest on my last several cruises.  Reading posts here, Himself has stated he always does it, but acknowledges that not everyone does.

If it's in their duties, it was ignored on my last 3 cruises and the services were led by the congregation.  Usually one person offered.

2 hours ago, lb0103 said:

The priest on the Oosterdam last month told us that HAL is the only cruise line that has a priest on every sailing.  He said other ships have a priest on special holidays and Celebrity has a priest on ships during Lent.  On the Oosterdam Mass was celebrated at 8am on sea days and at 5PM on port days.  

• Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 6:11 PM, Cajuntraveler said:

The priest on the Oosterdam last month told us that HAL is the only cruise line that has a priest on every sailing.  He said other ships have a priest on special holidays and Celebrity has a priest on ships during Lent.  On the Oosterdam Mass was celebrated at 8am on sea days and at 5PM on port days.  

👍👍👍  Cajuntraveler, you are 100% correct.  With assistance from Apostleship of the Sea - USA, HAL has a Roman Catholic priest on every one of its cruises.  AOS-USA provides all recruiting, screening and scheduling for the Cruise Ship Priest Program.

Because of the Cruise Ship Priest Program, my spouse and I are 100% loyal HAL cruisers.  We express our gratitude to HAL in our Cruise Surveys and to AOS-USA by making financial contributions to AOS-USA.

To learn more about AOS-USA and/or to show your gratitude for the Cruise Ship Priest Program, go to www.aos-usa.org.

Thank you, HAL and AOS-USA for the Cruise Ship Priest Program.

Edited by avian777

30 minutes ago, palolake said:

Hello!  We're elite on Princess but this will be our first on a HAL ship.  We've booked a VF verandah on the Zuiderdam.  Does that category have refrigerators?  Do they have interactive TVs?  Thanks.

Yes, Zuiderdam does have refrigerators/mini bars/coolers.

Haven’t been on the Zuiderdam for a while, but I believe they do have the interactive TV’s now.  Wait for someone else to confirm though.

32 minutes ago, palolake said:

We've booked a VF verandah on the Zuiderdam.  Does that category have refrigerators? 

Yes, but they are more cooler than refrigerator.

All the larger ships---Vista and larger---have a fridge in every cabin.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, palolake said:

.... Does that category have refrigerators? ..... Thanks.

Your minibar will be stocked with beverages but you can ask your Room Steward to have the contents removed by the Bar Staff.  In the meantime, you can remove the contents and put them elsewhere to make room for your own sodas/waters (bring as much as you wish).  Bring some Ziploc bags to store your snacks (cheese, meats, desserts, etc) from the Lido Market.

On 1/10/2019 at 3:33 PM, ChillEDog said:

Don't forget, some ships have self-service laundry.  But of course, the $20/bag or $49 for 7 days is *very* hard to beat.  We did the $20/bag one day and everything came back beautifully pressed/hung/folded.

We were on Oosterdam one month ago in a Vista suite and loved it.  bigger than expected, wonderful bed, plenty of storage, and COLD a/c.  only complaint was...wait there weren't any complaints.  there are three lockers, plus there are a couple drawers at the base of the bed (that we didn't discover until next-to-last day).

How long does it take to get your laundry back?  Thanks

1 hour ago, nextcruiseonmymind said:

How long does it take to get your laundry back?  Thanks

Generally it's next day when put out by 9am.  Sometimes we've gotten it back the same day, and very occasionally if it's at or during a turnaround day, it takes two days.  At the end of the cruise, although we've put it out 2 days before disembarkation, we more typically put out laundry no later than 3 days before disembarkation.