New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

3 hours ago, ToXS said:

I am still confused about HAL's laundry practices. On the Eurodam, I just remember seeing the little laundry bag on a hanger in the closet. It was hung with a sheet that had a long list of clothing items and the exorbitant cost to launder each separate item. How does one get a hold of the larger bag and get to use the bulk laundry price???

The laundry bag is a standard size.  The rate is $20 for a bag as full as you can make it.   If you want just a few items laundered, choose the individual items (not a smart choice) but if you want laundry every day, choose the unlimited package at a rate of either $7 or $9 per day (as many bags as you wish per day) depending on where the ship is located.

image.png.150c09f06c23cc0a9ec515fda1881c7b.png

The Lido pool is for adults only, the area around the pool, the deck chairs etc. are for the enjoyment of all. We did a three week cruise with our 7 year old great grand daughter and used the lounge chairs around the Lido pool area all the time. Enjoy your cruise.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Crew News said:

The laundry bag is a standard size.  The rate is $20 for a bag as full as you can make it.   If you want just a few items laundered, choose the individual items (not a smart choice) but if you want laundry every day, choose the unlimited package at a rate of either $7 or $9 per day (as many bags as you wish per day) depending on where the ship is located.

Ohhh.  Thanks for posting the list, Crew News.  I now understand the confusion.  It’s been a while since I’ve seen a form with the prices on it.  I apologize for adding to the confusion @ToXS.

15 hours ago, ski ww said:

The Lido pool is for adults only, the area around the pool, the deck chairs etc. are for the enjoyment of all. We did a three week cruise with our 7 year old great grand daughter and used the lounge chairs around the Lido pool area all the time. Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you Ski

Merry Christmas all.

22 hours ago, Crew News said:

image.png.150c09f06c23cc0a9ec515fda1881c7b.png

Thank you very much for the copy of the price list.  Now I don't have to depend on my fuzzy memory.   I still wish the bulk laundry price included a larger bag.  My math tells me I'd do better with the single item price if I can only get a t-shirt and a pair of socks in that wee bag.

3 minutes ago, ToXS said:

if I can only get a t-shirt and a pair of socks in that wee bag.

Unless the bag shrank in the last two years, the daily rate is almost always best. I would get as many as a dozen items in the bag a day plan’s bag! It’s like a small cloth pillowcase. You gotta stuff it in, but it should fit far more than two pieces (unless they’re bulky sweaters). I usually sent out two full outfits plus some extra swim or gym clothes in each bag. 

5 minutes ago, ToXS said:

Thank you very much for the copy of the price list.  Now I don't have to depend on my fuzzy memory.   I still wish the bulk laundry price included a larger bag.  My math tells me I'd do better with the single item price if I can only get a t-shirt and a pair of socks in that wee bag.

Surprisingly, by rolling items, I can get two pairs of pants, two shirts, two polo shirts, underwear, socks, and handkerchiefs into a small bag.  With the unlimited option, you can send out more than one bag per day (morning and evening).

Just to clarify, I miss used the term Lido pool. The Lido pool which is the inside pool is for the use of children & adults. The out side pool is called the Sea View Pool. That pool is for adults only, but the lounge chairs around it are for the enjoyment of all. Sorry if this caused confusion. 

8 hours ago, Crew News said:

Surprisingly, by rolling items, I can get two pairs of pants, two shirts, two polo shirts, underwear, socks, and handkerchiefs into a small bag.  With the unlimited option, you can send out more than one bag per day (morning and evening).

I guess it depends on how large your clothes are. I just measured our bag on the Prinsendam. It's 13 by 20. It's a drawstring bag so it's flat. Two pair of my husband's dress pants just about fill it. I could easily fit 3 days of my clothes into it because mine are smaller and  made of much thinner material. We haven't sent out any laundry yet, but the slip says that laundry received by 9 AM will be returned the next day.  I don't know if they return the bag sooner or not since this is my first time on a HAL cruise.

11 hours ago, ToXS said:

That bag is amazing! I have gotten many, many items in it, including a couple of pairs of jeans-mine and husband's-and we are not tiny by any stretch of the imagination!. The other thing to remember is that if it isn't quite closed with the tie, it's good to go. I don't mean it should be open, but if a little bit of that last item is seen, it will be okay. I always finish with a pair of my capris, or a top.

11 hours ago, Crew News said:

Yes, you do have to roll, but it is worth it! I've only ever done by the bag, but I guess I'll check out the cost of by the cruise next time. It would definitely save on packing!

20 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

That bag is amazing! I have gotten many, many items in it, including a couple of pairs of jeans-mine and husband's-and we are not tiny by any stretch of the imagination!. The other thing to remember is that if it isn't quite closed with the tie, it's good to go. I don't mean it should be open, but if a little bit of that last item is seen, it will be okay. I always finish with a pair of my capris, or a top.

Yes, you do have to roll, but it is worth it! I've only ever done by the bag, but I guess I'll check out the cost of by the cruise next time. It would definitely save on packing!

On my last trip, I got four knit tops, two pairs of knit long pants, and four pairs of socks in one bag — and I’m “plus size”!  Like you mentioned, rolling them is the key. 

Lana in Bellingham, WA

When we purchased our drink package in advance for our upcoming cruise, the print-out receipt says the drink package will be delivered to our cabin. Is this correct?  Is it not linked to your sign and sail card from the moment you check-in like on other lines?  Or is it a separate card on HA?

3 minutes ago, EMc&DrS said:

When we purchased our drink package in advance for our upcoming cruise, the print-out receipt says the drink package will be delivered to our cabin. Is this correct?  Is it not linked to your sign and sail card from the moment you check-in like on other lines?  Or is it a separate card on HA?

No worries.  That's just the terminology they use.

If you bought the drink package, it will indeed be linked to your key card.  You'll be fine 🙂 

3 hours ago, EMc&DrS said:

What Kazu said. There will be a note of confirmation in your cabin. It may make you think that the Service Charge is going to be added to each drink; this is not true -- the grats were already paid (on the value of the SBP) or, for those booking Explore4, included with the promo.

I did it! I read the whole dam thread :classic_cool: all 93 pages 😱 This'll be my 4th HAL cruise, but things have changed quite a lot since our first nearly a decade ago. And more changes than I would have expected since our last three years go. Plus so many great tips that haven't changed that I sure wish I'd known about earlier. Can't wait to celebrate our 36th birthdays in Hawaii on the Eurodam in February! Obsessively planning while my office is closed for the holidays. Travel-planning is so much more fun than my real job.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Princeandstella said:

I've booked a couple of massages but now I'm not sure of the times and I wished I had waited till I had boarded or at least till I had finalised my plans.  What is the deal with cancelling spa bookings?  My cruise doesn't leave for another two weeks.  I have emailed Hal but haven't had a reply yet.

Just call HAL and ask them to cancel.  It shouldn't be an issue.  I've had to change (which meant cancelling) specialty dining reservations, etc. and it was no problem.

Don't put it off as changes have to be done earlier than 3 days before sailing.

15 hours ago, kazu said:

No worries.  That's just the terminology they use.

If you bought the drink package, it will indeed be linked to your key card.  You'll be fine 🙂 

12 hours ago, crystalspin said:

What Kazu said. There will be a note of confirmation in your cabin. It may make you think that the Service Charge is going to be added to each drink; this is not true -- the grats were already paid (on the value of the SBP) or, for those booking Explore4, included with the promo.

Thank you both for your help!

On 10/28/2018 at 12:01 AM, crystalspin said:

Almost always, depending on how early you get on! Surely be prepared to keep what you carry on with you for a while. Although we travel by air "carry-on-only", we give our 20" suitcases to the porters and only have daypacks with us to board.

The suitcases usually show up between shortly before muster, and shortly after muster.

Is it required to give your 20" suitcases to the porters?  I was hoping to take mine (24") on since we can go directly to the cabin.

This has been such a helpful thread I hope you don't mind all the dumb questions as I have a few more.

When having a third person in a verandah stateroom does the bed in the small couch get left made up everyday or can it be folded up during the day?  It looks like a tight squeeze to get to the balcony if it is left out?

Also has anyone that has slept on the fold out couch found them to be comfortable enough?  Our daughter is worried that it will be uncomfortable.

Do the tvs have movies on demand or do you have to use dvds?  (on the Noordam)

Is the library well stocked or should I pack my own reading material?

Do the ships usually have daily trivia?

Are there ever movies played in the theatre in the day time? 

Is the dinner menu displayed outside the dining room in the daytime?  We like to view it so we can decide if we want to go to the dining room or perhaps have room service instead and just slop around in our togs.  

What is the tendering procedure?  Do guests have to line up at the tender boats or do you go to a lounge or theatre and get a ticket and wait to be called?