New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

37 minutes ago, Southpaw97470 said:

Please excuse if this has been asked and answered or not the correct forum. Does HAL have 24 hour food options? For example if I'm craving a midnight snack or if I want a late breakfast, say 11:00 a.m.what are my options?

Thank you

SORRY! I SEE THIS HAS BEEN ANSWERED😳

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

With the exception of some staterooms on the smaller HAL ships, each stateroom has a minibar.  Passengers are free to bring food back to their staterooms and that includes butter, fruit, and yogurt parfaits from breakfast to keep chilled in their minibar for later consumption.  As posted above, my stateroom has a salad bowl of chips on my desk and a plate of chocolate chip cookies on the coffee table for snacking.

Room Service chocolate chip cookies and milk before retiring for the evening adds a nice touch to a long cruise day.

Feel free to ask lots of question to help in your planning.

7 hours ago, Crew News said:

Room Service chocolate chip cookies and milk before retiring for the evening adds a nice touch to a long cruise day.

This is one of my favorite things to do!  LOL

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Euby said:

This is one of my favorite things to do!  LOL

We enjoy ours without the milk 🥛 they're yummy no matter the choice of beverage to wash them down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

We enjoy ours without the milk 🥛 they're yummy no matter the choice of beverage to wash them down.

Cabernet pairs very well with chocolate

😍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Cabernet pairs very well with chocolate

😍

So do you bring a bottle or more onboard at $20 "corkage fee" each?  Do you buy a bottle from the dining room to keep in your cabin?  Or do you go to the bar and get a glass of Cabernet and take it back to your cabin every time you want to pair it with chocolate chip cookies there? 

35 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

So do you bring a bottle or more onboard at $20 "corkage fee" each?  Do you buy a bottle from the dining room to keep in your cabin?  Or do you go to the bar and get a glass of Cabernet and take it back to your cabin every time you want to pair it with chocolate chip cookies there? 

Usually grab a couple glasses on the way back from the evening festivities, if my stainless bottle is empty.  On Holland, my go to cab is Decoy, which keeps quite well for a day or 2 in a 17 ounce stainless screw cap water bottle, which is fairly easy to keep stocked. I do wish Holland would not charge corkage for a couple bottles, especially if you have the beverage package, as some other lines do, but Holland is my preferred line at this point in time, so I make do. On Princess your beverage package works for delivery anywhere on the ship, including your room, which you can just order through the app.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/26/2024 at 11:23 AM, Haljo1935 said:

That is correct. Note TV will not work on any other channel until you play the safety video.

Also note, that if you watch some and turn it off.....you have to start all over again. 😉 

• Like 1

We're new to HAL, although not to cruising, and wondered if anyone has any advice on managing food allergies.  I'm coeliac and allergic to milk (all details provided to HAL, of course), and are there any HAL-specific things of which I should be aware?  From previous cruises, I know that the MDR is normally easier, but I hear that the Italian station in the buffet has some good choices.  I'd welcome help with anything else I should know.  TIA. 

4 minutes ago, Kaleidoscope said:

We're new to HAL, although not to cruising, and wondered if anyone has any advice on managing food allergies.  I'm coeliac and allergic to milk (all details provided to HAL, of course), and are there any HAL-specific things of which I should be aware?  From previous cruises, I know that the MDR is normally easier, but I hear that the Italian station in the buffet has some good choices.  I'd welcome help with anything else I should know.  TIA. 

I'm a HAL newbie too, but this here are some tidbits I've learned from sailing on other cruise lines:  Don't rely on Corporate to pass your food allergy information on to the ship.  Sign up for fixed dining so that you always have the same waiter.  Eat in the MDR as often as possible. When you board, speak with the maître d' in the MDR and make sure that he/she understands that your dietary requirements are due to allergies and not just preferences. Also speak with your waiter and be sure that he/she understands your dietary restrictions.  Don't accept "Oh I'm sure ..." for an answer. If you intend to eat in the buffet or in any specialty restaurants, also speak with those maître d's.  If you have any questions when eating there, ask the server at the buffet counter or your alternative restaurant waiter and if he/she doesn't seem sure of the answer, ask him/her to find out.

1 hour ago, islandwoman said:

I'm a HAL newbie too, but this here are some tidbits I've learned from sailing on other cruise lines:  Don't rely on Corporate to pass your food allergy information on to the ship.  Sign up for fixed dining so that you always have the same waiter.  Eat in the MDR as often as possible. When you board, speak with the maître d' in the MDR and make sure that he/she understands that your dietary requirements are due to allergies and not just preferences. Also speak with your waiter and be sure that he/she understands your dietary restrictions.  Don't accept "Oh I'm sure ..." for an answer. If you intend to eat in the buffet or in any specialty restaurants, also speak with those maître d's.  If you have any questions when eating there, ask the server at the buffet counter or your alternative restaurant waiter and if he/she doesn't seem sure of the answer, ask him/her to find out.

Thank you.  That's all been my experience to date, especially with checking out anything where someone appears unsure.  Fortunately I've never had the problem with corporate failing to pass allergen info on to the ship, so that's something new for me to check.  I've had success with the buffet assisted by someone in charge checking things out and making me a plate behind the scenes, athough I am heartened that HAL is not self-service, removing a lot of risk for me from cross-contamination.  While I'm happy to stay safe in the MDR, I am really hopeful that I can opt for a little more variety this trip.  I hear that breakfast has packaged options on a separate counter (and a separate toaster), so I was hoping that might be viable.  

1 hour ago, Kaleidoscope said:

Thank you.  That's all been my experience to date, especially with checking out anything where someone appears unsure.  Fortunately I've never had the problem with corporate failing to pass allergen info on to the ship, so that's something new for me to check.  I've had success with the buffet assisted by someone in charge checking things out and making me a plate behind the scenes, athough I am heartened that HAL is not self-service, removing a lot of risk for me from cross-contamination.  While I'm happy to stay safe in the MDR, I am really hopeful that I can opt for a little more variety this trip.  I hear that breakfast has packaged options on a separate counter (and a separate toaster), so I was hoping that might be viable.  

@islandwoman in addition to filling out the form and submitting it prior to the cruise, I do the following:

Day 1, as soon after embarkation as possible, go to MDR - let them know you have a food allergy (no need to go into details) & ask for that night's menu. In the top right corner write your cabin # and your allergy. Then you circle your selections and give it back to them; be sure to check both sides of the paper as sometimes they're printed on both sides.

Night 1 when you go to dinner in MDR - tell server you have a food allergy & already turned in your menu. They'll confirm it w/Chef and ar sometime during dinner, theyll bring you a menu for the next night. You'll write your cabin # & allergy on it and make selections like you did earlier and leave it w/them. You'll do this each night.

Soecialty restaurants you just tell your server when he brings the menu.

Lido Buffet ask to speak w/manager if you need to confirm ingredients in specific choices.

For breakfast in MDR, it's the same process just ask how they want to handle since you could be at a different table each day.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

@islandwoman in addition to filling out the form and submitting it prior to the cruise, I do the following:

Day 1, as soon after embarkation as possible, go to MDR - let them know you have a food allergy (no need to go into details) & ask for that night's menu. In the top right corner write your cabin # and your allergy. Then you circle your selections and give it back to them; be sure to check both sides of the paper as sometimes they're printed on both sides.

Night 1 when you go to dinner in MDR - tell server you have a food allergy & already turned in your menu. They'll confirm it w/Chef and ar sometime during dinner, theyll bring you a menu for the next night. You'll write your cabin # & allergy on it and make selections like you did earlier and leave it w/them. You'll do this each night.

Soecialty restaurants you just tell your server when he brings the menu.

Lido Buffet ask to speak w/manager if you need to confirm ingredients in specific choices.

For breakfast in MDR, it's the same process just ask how they want to handle since you could be at a different table each day.

Brilliant! Day one has always been a bit of a lottery, so that will be good.  The next night menu routine normally means that table companions get a preview of their choices too.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kaleidoscope said:

Brilliant! Day one has always been a bit of a lottery, so that will be good.  The next night menu routine normally means that table companions get a preview of their choices too.  

Yes! I find mine love that part of the meal. Also, you can write in special requests  - more likely to get honored as they have an extra day to accommodate them 😊 

More Newbie questions … and thank you in advance to your help! 

I am thinking of booking a 7 day Alaska inside passage, rd trip from Vancouver in July ‘24. There are a total of 7 July sailings that would work aboard either the Zaandam or Koningsdam.  

I know that I got a bit of a late start in planning for this July. What is the best way to find out BEFORE I book:

1) which of the 7 sailings still have spots available on the Tracy Arm excursion? (I heard this fills fast). Can you find out which excursions are sold out before booking the cruise? 

2) which of the 7 sailings still have Club Orange availability? Can you find out if it is sold out before booking? 

I made one unsuccessful call to HAL. Think I may have called the wrong department b/c they didn’t seem to understand? I appreciate any guidance & advice.  
PS any other alaska excursions that are not to be missed? 

Edited by Ileneilene123

1 hour ago, Ileneilene123 said:

More Newbie questions … and thank you in advance to your help! 

I am thinking of booking a 7 day Alaska inside passage, rd trip from Vancouver in July ‘24. There are a total of 7 July sailings that would work aboard either the Zaandam or Koningsdam.  

I know that I got a bit of a late start in planning for this July. What is the best way to find out BEFORE I book:

1) which of the 7 sailings still have spots available on the Tracy Arm excursion? (I heard this fills fast). Can you find out which excursions are sold out before booking the cruise? 

2) which of the 7 sailings still have Club Orange availability? Can you find out if it is sold out before booking? 

I made one unsuccessful call to HAL. Think I may have called the wrong department b/c they didn’t seem to understand? I appreciate any guidance & advice.  
PS any other alaska excursions that are not to be missed? 

You can probably find out about space on the Tracy Arm excursion by calling the excursion desk, 206-626-7320. When calling HAL, it's a bit of a chance whether you get someone who knows anything.

For CO, maybe just try again. Even calling the various numbers for specific services, you might get a knowledgeable person or you might not. One number you might try is the "Centurion" number 888-425-7447; it's supposed to be for travel agents, but anyone can call. I used to get good results from the personal cruise consultant number, but lately I've gotten people who can't answer simple question.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

You can probably find out about space on the Tracy Arm excursion by calling the excursion desk, 206-626-7320. When calling HAL, it's a bit of a chance whether you get someone who knows anything.

For CO, maybe just try again. Even calling the various numbers for specific services, you might get a knowledgeable person or you might not. One number you might try is the "Centurion" number 888-425-7447; it's supposed to be for travel agents, but anyone can call. I used to get good results from the personal cruise consultant number, but lately I've gotten people who can't answer simple question.

Thank you. I will definitely try the excursions desk number you provided & hope that someone knowledgeable answers. Is there a dedicated CO number I could try as well in addition to the Centurion number? 

It was actually the PCC line that I had called initially — it was a really strange experience, not helpful (previous calls have also been hit or miss, it’s surprising to me).

Edited by Ileneilene123

5 hours ago, Ileneilene123 said:

Is there a dedicated CO number I could try as well in addition to the Centurion number? 

You could call Ships Inventory. I do not have the number handy and can look it up if someone else doesn't post it for you.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dismomx5 said:

Also note, that if you watch some and turn it off.....you have to start all over again. 😉 

After we board and go to our cabin to drop off our carry on items, I turn on the TV and the video, then leave for lunch and let the video run. Have heard the safety message so many times that I do not need to watch again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

After we board and go to our cabin to drop off our carry on items, I turn on the TV and the video, then leave for lunch and let the video run. Have heard the safety message so many times that I do not need to watch again.

We did that once on Princess. Left the video running and left the cabin with our medallions. Since the medallions weren't in the cabin, the system assumed we weren't either, so we had to start it from the beginning again. I know this doesn't currently apply on HAL, but I'm thinking it will if they ever go to a medallion system. 

How hard is it to sit through the SAFETY video? Seriously people it's not like it is a 2 hour epic. It's just another hoop we have to jump through. Of course the cruise lines could go back to the old way of going to muster stations and sit until everybody decides to check in. That was always so much fun.

• Like 9

I usually let it run while putting my stuff away. I can glance at it when necessary, and listen when my head is in a closet. But then, even though I have flown many, many times, I still politely watch the flight attendant when they are doing their safety briefing. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

How hard is it to sit through the SAFETY video? Seriously people it's not like it is a 2 hour epic. It's just another hoop we have to jump through. Of course the cruise lines could go back to the old way of going to muster stations and sit until everybody decides to check in. That was always so much fun.

It's not hard.  This is just another example of the expanding desire to ignore and/or evade doing things asked of people.  Add the safety video viewing to hand washing, self-assist disembarkation, chair hogging/saving, timed/scheduled embarkation, and the list goes on.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Navybikermom said:

I usually let it run while putting my stuff away. I can glance at it when necessary, and listen when my head is in a closet. But then, even though I have flown many, many times, I still politely watch the flight attendant when they are doing their safety briefing. 

Agreed. That's how we do it. I learned on the cruise we just finished that you have to watch it every 30 days, so we got to watch it twice.

Edited by Dismomx5
  • Like 1