Curious re:Captain's Club Points

Jane2357

I'm just curious - has the new conversion to days sailed x cabin category really slowed down the ascent to Elite status? I'm trying to figure it out between the old pts and the new and for me I think it might have been a wash.

After my next cruise I'll become Elite - with only 5 cruises. 3 under the old system and 2 with the new, a total of 44 days sailed. Just wondering what you all think - slower or not?

I'm just curious - has the new conversion to days sailed x cabin category really slowed down the ascent to Elite status? I'm trying to figure it out between the old pts and the new and for me I think it might have been a wash.

After my next cruise I'll become Elite - with only 5 cruises. 3 under the old system and 2 with the new, a total of 44 days sailed. Just wondering what you all think - slower or not?

The intent was to slow down the number of people moving to the next level while at the same time encouraging people to spend more for their cabin.

You lose lots of ground if you book Insides, OV. You gain if you book the top Suites. It took me 4 extra cruises to reach the next level and I booked AQ or Sky Suites. However, I had fun.

Edited by Orator

Once I reached e+ I quit counting since I'll never make Zenith.

Mary Lou

Good for you! I'll never make Elite+ but I am looking forward to those free Elite cocktails - with my luck they'll switch to all inclusive before I can taste one - :D

I'm just curious - has the new conversion to days sailed x cabin category really slowed down the ascent to Elite status?
It has slowed it down for some and made it faster for others.

It used to take at least 4 cruises to become Elite under the old system, and many did it in 4 cruises without ever booking a suite.

Now it depends on a combination of number of days and cabin category.

The number of cruises no longer matters.

Now with all the drink packages being offered in the booking promotions, those free Elite cocktails no longer matter as much to people either. ;)

Edited by varoo

Hi Jane -

When I saw your thread, I thought about it and for it me it also did not change how I got there. I will be Elite after my next cruise. So, here is the count under the old way and the new way.

Old way = 11 points

1. 4-day Century concierge stateroom (2 points)

2. 11-day Millennium inside stateroom (1 point)

3. 5-day Millennium concierge stateroom (2 points)

4. 15-day Reflection Aqua Suite stateroom (3 points)

5. 16-day Constellation Aqua stateroom (3 points)

New way = 240 points after the first 4 cruises listed above. When adding in the Constellation points (16 x 5 = 80), you have 240 + 80 = 320. So, basically I arrive at Elite at the same time under either system.

Now, if I started today under the new system and with the understanding that as a solo cruiser I could earn twice the points, I could grow the status very quickly. For example:

1. 16-day transatlantic cruise in a PH (16 x 18 x 2 = 576)

After one cruise, already Elite.

2. 7-day Bermuda cruise in a Sky Suite (7 x 8 x 2 = 112)

3. 10-day Southern Caribbean cruise in Aqua (10 x 5 x 2 = 100)

After 3 cruises, 576 + 112 + 100 = 788. This gets you to Elite+. This is doable and realistic for some.

I only just achieved Elite status before the loyalty system was changed, 10 (old) points after 4 cruises. Under the new scheme I would have required 5 cruises…so in the wash

Below I've listed the number of nights required for the old and new schemes to yield equivalent reward; with trips of fewer nights the old system was more generous, with longer trips the new scheme is more generous

30 nights Inside

20 nights Verandah

18 nights Concierge/Aqua

8 nights Sky/Century/Aqua Suite

5 nights Celebrity/Signature/Royal Suite

4 nights Reflection/Penthouse Suite

Based on this I would say that the rate of points accumulation has been slowed for those who sail in inside, verandah, concierge and aqua staterooms. For those that sail in suites the rate of points accumulation has been increased

The change in the points system (and now double points for solo cruisers) is obviously geared up to link more closely $ spend with X reward.

Once I reached e+ I quit counting since I'll never make Zenith.

Mary Lou

I'm in the same boat as you. When the conversion took place we became Elite+, but are NOWHERE NEAR Zenith and will never get there. (Unless we win the lottery.)

I went back and did our old points as if we just started sailing Celebrity under the new system and we wouldn't be Elite+. We would just be Elite.

So I dare say, if we started cruising now, it would take us a long time to reach Elite and most likely would not reach Elite+.

Where is the info on number of points for different classes? We have-- 1. Celebrity 10 nt oceanview, 2. Azamara 11 nt veranda 3. Azamara 14 nt veranda-- Coming up Azamara 11 nt veranda, Celebrity 14 nt Acqua class, Celebrity 12 nt Acqua. So where are we now & then?? Thanks, this is a new "game" for me. We are Elite on Princess.

Where is the info on number of points for different classes? We have-- 1. Celebrity 10 nt oceanview, 2. Azamara 11 nt veranda 3. Azamara 14 nt veranda-- Coming up Azamara 11 nt veranda, Celebrity 14 nt Acqua class, Celebrity 12 nt Acqua. So where are we now & then?? Thanks, this is a new "game" for me. We are Elite on Princess.

You don't earn points until after you have completed your cruise. So the Coming up cruises don't count.

Contact the Captain's Club and they will let you know what your status is.

Here's the link on their web-site:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/htmlpage/captains-club

Edited by CruisingChick

I just got into the Elite category before the conversion. the first cruise that I sailed on being Elite was my first with the 123 and I hade the bev pack, and was in AQ, Have always sailed in AQ and have always got the Bev pack so the perks are basically nothing to me. Stopped in for the breakfast brunch once to see what it was and never used it again because we had Blu. Would go to the Happy hour just to watch people's obsession to get as many drinks as possible in 2 hours and to socialize with others but could also do the socializing at any bar. On my last cruise of 14 days I used about 20 minutes of the Internet package.

After my next few cruises I should be in the Elite Plus, and don't ever see getting into Zenith. I don't see any reason to chase after points for any of the perks or to reach the next level. Even though I don't use most of the perks just don't take them away.

happy sailing 🍸🚢🇺🇸🌅 and drink up 🍸🍺🍻

For me:

Old Way:

• 2 - Feb 28 2013 - (PH) - Celebrity Constellation - 5 Night Western Caribbean from MIA
  • 3 - Apr 20 2013 - (RS) - Celebrity Eclipse - 13 night TA FLL to Southampton UK 'Pied Piper Transatlantic'
  • 2 - Nov 30 2013 - (PH) - Celebrity Reflection - 7 Night Caribbean from MIA 'Pied Piper Post Thanksgiving'
  • 2 - Jan 20 2014 - (RS) - Celebrity Constellation - 5 night Western Caribbean from FLL 'Cruise Fools'
  • 2 - Mar 8 2014 - (CS) - Celebrity Summit - 7 Night southern Caribbean from SJU - Atlantis Charter Cruise
  • 3 - Apr 20 2014 - (PH) - Celebrity Eclipse - 13 night TA FLL to Southampton UK 'Pied Piper Transatlantic'
  • 1 - May 25 2014 - (AQ) - Celebrity Summit - 7 Night 'Pied Piper' to Bermuda
  • 15 TOTAL x 30 points = 450

New Way:

• 5 x 18 = 90 - Feb 28 2013 - (PH) - Celebrity Constellation - 5 Night Western Caribbean from MIA
  • 13 x 12 x 2 = 312 (solo) - Apr 20 2013 - (RS) - Celebrity Eclipse - 13 night TA FLL to Southampton UK 'Pied Piper Transatlantic'
  • 7 x 18 x 2 = 252 (solo) - Nov 30 2013 - (PH) - Celebrity Reflection - 7 Night Caribbean from MIA 'Pied Piper Post Thanksgiving'
  • 5 x 12 = 60 - Jan 20 2014 - (RS) - Celebrity Constellation - 5 night Western Caribbean from FLL 'Cruise Fools'
  • 7 x 12 x 2 = 168 (solo) - Mar 8 2014 - (CS) - Celebrity Summit - 7 Night southern Caribbean from SJU - Atlantis Charter Cruise
  • 13 x 18 x 2 = 468 (solo) - Apr 20 2014 - (PH) - Celebrity Eclipse - 13 night TA FLL to Southampton UK 'Pied Piper Transatlantic'
  • 7 x 5 x 2 = 70 (solo) - May 25 2014 - (AQ) - Celebrity Summit - 7 Night 'Pied Piper' to Bermuda
  • 1420 Total Points but only at 689 points due to the newness of Solo Bonus

We did

10 days on the Galaxy in OV=1 points ....................20 points

14 days on the Eclipse in a Balcony =2 points...........42 points

7 days on the Eclipse in a Balcony=1 point...............21 points

12 days on the Summit again Balcony=2 points .......36 points

14 days on the Eclipse AQ=3points..........................75 points

12days on the Solstice AQ=3 points.........................60 points

(Not sure if I have converted the points from old to new correctly.)

It took us more nights at sea as we went from 9 points to 12 after the last cruise.

We are now working towards Elite + with just 420 points. However We have been back just under a week from our latest cruise. Does anyone know how long it is before our points will be added on? I am interested because we should have received a 25 point bonus and I know some have had problems getting this added on.

I had 7 points old way and 260 new way. We would have had it with a concierge class 5 day on the Connie but with the new way we were missing it by 10 points.

So we decided to take the cruise we actually wanted; a 7 day in a veranda on the Silhouette. The room is the same size, just no flowers, fruit, or afternoon snacks. I did not care for that anyway, I wanted concierge because the room is larger than a veranda on the Connie. (the cost was almost the same between the 2 cruises)

We have better ports now besides 2 more days- San Juan, Basterrie and St. Marteen instead of Cozumel and Key West. Now with the switch of cruises we miss elite by 15 points instead of 10, but oh well. The way I see it,it would still take one more cruise to make it.

However, now I have gone back to being an equal opportunity cruiser and I am not concerned about having elite status. I still enjoy Celebrity, but I like Princess just as well. Now that HAL is banning veranda smoking next year, I also like them equally as well. So once again, I will shop by itinerary, then price, then line; as I did in the past. I may get elite status one day but I do not care when.

We reached Elite under the old way and we cruised mostly AQ, mostly longer cruises. If we had cruised shorter cruises in an inside, we would have gotten there much faster. Under the new way, we would not be there yet. And Elite plus is within our reach, but would not have been reachable under the new system.

My wife and I would already be Elite under the new system, under the old system 13 nights in a CC is the same number of credits as 12 nights in CS and 11 nights in a RS is one day shorter and 1 less credit. The 3 credit cap on a single sailing disadvantaged guest would took longer cruises.

RS 11 Night Ultimate Alaska Cruise 2 c or 11x12 = 132

CS 12 Night Classical Mediterranean Cruise 3 c or 12x12 = 144

CC 13 Night Ultimate Alaska Cruise 3 c or 13*5 = 65

old system 8 credits covered to 265pt or under the new system 341

I did get the Elite coupons when sailing the suites. I did get chastised for not coming to the Elite cocktails by the club host (right before we got off the ship), strangely we where never told we could attend.

.... I still enjoy Celebrity, but I like Princess just as well. Now that HAL is banning veranda smoking next year, I also like them equally as well. So once again, I will shop by itinerary, then price, then line; as I did in the past.
That is the way we do it too, comparing prices for equivalent accommodations on similar itineraries.

As much as we love Celebrity and enjoy the perks, we could never see limiting ourselves to only one cruise line.

We like variety and trying new experiences every now and then when something appealing comes along, kind of like having your standard favorite ice-cream flavors, but also enjoying different ones from time to time.

The perks on X Loyalty program are the best. We started out trying the luxury cruise lines. When we tried X they were a perfect fit for a lot less money. Had we been only on X cruises we would be Zenith by now. With the new system the difference between Elite Plus points and Zenith is huge. I don`t think we will make it . I do enjoy the Elite Plus benefits. How many of you think you will make Zenith ?

The perks on X Loyalty program are the best. We started out trying the luxury cruise lines. When we tried X they were a perfect fit for a lot less money. Had we been only on X cruises we would be Zenith by now. With the new system the difference between Elite Plus points and Zenith is huge. I don`t think we will make it . I do enjoy the Elite Plus benefits. How many of you think you will make Zenith ?
The only way we could make Zenith would be by limiting ourselves exclusively (or pretty close to exclusively) to X cruises, something that we are not willing to do.

There are always tradeoffs in any choices. The Zenith perks, while very attractive, are not worth restricting ourselves that way.

Besides, there is no way of predicting what future changes will occur on X or any other cruise line, so 5 or 10 years from now another cruise line, or even a different kind of vacation option, may be more appealing.

(Thinking of that old saying about not putting all your eggs in one basket.)

We will never make Zenith and I doubt we'll make Elite+ as we cruise once a year. We do have the free drink package next cruise but last cruise we had booked too early and didn't have it - so there is a real perk in the free Elite cocktails to me. :) Yes we would have arrived at Elite at the same time with the old system as we will under the new - and never booked higher than 1 Sky Suite - so it didn't slow us down.

The only way we could make Zenith would be by limiting ourselves exclusively (or pretty close to exclusively) to X cruises, something that we are not willing to do.

(Thinking of that old saying about not putting all your eggs in one basket.)

That is exactly it. We only got sucked in because 2 years ago we took a Med cruise for our 30th anniversary and prices fell so much we ended up in a skysuite. We earned a good bit of points that cruise and suddenly zenith seemed a great idea. Now that they changed the point system, we have come back to reality. We like Celebrity and we will cruise Celebrity but that does not mean we will not choose Princess or HAL if they offer something better. Now if all things were equal, perhaps we would go for Celebrity to make zenith, but we are going to go for what is best for us. Perks are just not worth it, as you said, who knows when the perks will change and not be as good so that is certainly not a reason to book.