Etiquette for requesting quotes

Thrak

I have a question for people who use more than one TA. How do you go about politely requesting a quote for service from more than one TA? Do you just say you are "considering" a cruise? If you have already booked the cruise directly and then want to see what might be offered in the way of perks how do you go about approaching more than one TA?

I guess I'm just being a wuss but I don't want to offend anybody - especially the TA we have used in the past and who booked our upcoming Mexico cruise. He's a good guy and has done well for us but I always read here about people who get a ton of OBC, etc. from their TA.

Of course those people may be booking much snazzier rooms or something and that's how they get such good perks. (I can NOT afford a suite. Period!)

I have the contact info for a couple of people who come pretty highly recommended and would like to see what they can do for me on a cruise I already booked for next year but, like I said, I don't want to offend my current TA and I'm not sure how to word it if I ask two other people for quotes.

No problem. And no one will be offended.

There are websites where one can find numerous TA's eager for your business; and there is no obligation to receive a price quote.

Mike:)

Yes I know there are a lot of web sites. I was going to check out two in particular who were recommended to me a cruiser who cruises a lot and who seems very happy with the service, pricing, and perks. (Like I always read on CC: Ask a fellow cruiser for TA info.)

I do feel kind of bad about looking for someone else since the local TA we have used in the past does seem to do a good job and is a really nice guy. I'm just wondering if I could do better with someone who books a higher volume of cruises with Princess.

I'm just wondering if I could do better with someone who books a higher volume of cruises with Princess.

Are you getting pricing 12-18% less than the published rate along with OBC?

If not, then the answer is yes you can.

Mike:)

Well, assuming you aren't phoning the other agents from the office of your current TA, he probably will never know you're shopping around; no need to feel wussy. I agree, it can seem somewhat disloyal, but loyalty and four dollars will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks, ya know? It's up to you to take care of you.

I only use email for initial inquiries, so that I have a written record of the fares quoted me but mostly so that, since I'm just price-shopping, they can respond at their leisure (phone calls seem so much more insistent and demanding) -- that assauges some of my guilt for taking up multiple agents' time for the same booking. I just write that I'm considering X cruise on Z date in Y category. My TAs all respond by email and if I don't reply to the higher-priced agent, I assume s/he figures I've either decided not to go or have used someone else. No one has ever badgered me about it; there's never been a follow-up email or phone call, demanding to know why I haven't booked that which I requested a quotation on.

I would call or email the two TAs to learn their pricing and what they have to offer in the way of OBCs, etc.

If either TA's total package is better than your current TA's, give him/her an opportunity to match their offering. If he can, you're good to go. If not, you have a decision to make. If you decide to switch TA, your new TA can take care of transferring the booking or you can cancel and rebook.

Lew

I totally understand your dilemma. We have a TA we have been using for 15 years. She is a very nice lady, gives us a few perks but doesn't discount. I have checked with other TA's and the pricing hasn't been different enough for us to change.

That being said, we are planning a TP from Sydney to LA. I requested a quote from a TA I had heard about from a friend. The rate quoted was $1,400 less for the cabin. She emailed me the info and I went to talk to my TA in person. I explained that I enjoyed working with her but $1,400 was one air fare to Sydney. She asked me to wait a day or two before booking. Low and behold, she matched the other TA's pricing.

Sometimes you just have to take that step even when it feels uncomfortable.

Cheers and good luck,

Denise

PS. we don't book suites either. This was for a nub stricter view OW category.

I once requested quotes from various TAs. One took offense that I did not book with her. She thought that since she had seen a price-drop, I owed her some loyalty. I had found the reduction on my own before she had, so I did not feel guilty at not giving her the booking.

I have already booked the cruise directly with Princess. I ended up booking an inside due to $$$ but would obviously love to have some natural light if possible. I guess I can put that in the email inquiry. Perhaps they can give me quotes for upgraded cabins in addition to the category I have booked.

Should I include my already booked price in the inquiry and ask if they can beat it? I did a quick look at one of the web sites and entered the cruise info (the other site doesn't seem to have that feature) and the automagic online quote is higher than I'm paying now. Do agencies often beat what shows up in the quickie search of their sites?

Edited by Thrak

I would call or email the two TAs to learn their pricing and what they have to offer in the way of OBCs, etc.

If either TA's total package is better than your current TA's, give him/her an opportunity to match their offering. If he can, you're good to go. If not, you have a decision to make. If you decide to switch TA, your new TA can take care of transferring the booking or you can cancel and rebook.

Exactly. This is what I've done in the past. In recent years, I've used two TAs. They both know I use the other at times. I just email them both and ask for a quote. Sometimes I go with one, sometimes with the other.

I don't think it would be fair to your regular travel agent if you did not give them the chance to beat your best offer from the other travel agents. After the first round I would send a second request stating your best offer to see if that can be topped.

I'm still surprised that cruise lines book via TAs. I would imagine their shareholders would like to retain those commissions. When was the last time anyone used a TA to book a hotel or flight?

I don't think it would be fair to your regular travel agent if you did not give them the chance to beat your best offer from the other travel agents. After the first round I would send a second request stating your best offer to see if that can be topped.

I agree. Give them a chance to meet it. I love my TA but I recently got a better price elsewhere. I went back to her and she can't meet it. But at least give them the opportunity.

My travel agent booked our flight for our last trip, that was after telling him exactly which but still...When I do international travel I often have my TA do my hotels too( though I get to preapprove them.) I use different companies depending on where we are going usually one from that country.

Don't feel guilty, you don't feel bad when you buy a shirt at Kohls but have a JC Penny credit card...they are a business not your friend. Get as many quotes as you want and use whomever gives you the best price and service. Those that treat you well will maintain your business.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I'm still surprised that cruise lines book via TAs. I would imagine their shareholders would like to retain those commissions. When was the last time anyone used a TA to book a hotel or flight?

This sounds reasonable to me. I just finished sending queries to both of the people suggested by the other cruiser. I will see what they have to say. I didn't include my already booked price in the queries but did include the info regarding the room I have booked. I wonder if they will be able to better my current pricing. If so, I will submit the info to my local TA and see if he can compete with their offer. That does seem to be fair. However, like I said earlier, the online estimate from one of the agencies is much higher than I am currently paying. One would think a cruise more than a year in the future wouldn't have already gone up that much but I guess it may be a popular cruise.

I usually use two TAs. I email both with the specifics of the cruise I want including ship, dates, category and cabin number or numbers. I do a lot of research on the Princess web site first. I ask them both for quotes and go with the best. I have cruises booked with both right now. Sometimes I book first on the Princess web site if I want to hold a particular cabin. Then I transfer the booking to the TA with the best price. It is easier to make the transfer before the deposit is made. You can usually hold a booking for a couple of days before you have to make the deposit.I've wondered for a long time if a TA is able to see all of a person's bookings or just the cruises booked through them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most cruises are booked via TAs.

The cruise lines are happy to pay those commissions as that means the cruise lines do not have to have a bunch more people on the payroll to book a cruise initially and to service the booking.

Perhaps Princess is an exception but they not only prefer having TAs book cruises but they allow TAs to discount cruises. It's not unusual to save 10-20% over the price you'd pay booking directly with Princess. It's probably cheaper to pay TAs commissions than have booking agents on salary or commission. The TAs not only book cruises but they market and promote them as well. It's a win-win for Princess.

I usually use two TAs. I email both with the specifics of the cruise I want including ship, dates, category and cabin number or numbers. I do a lot of research on the Princess web site first. I ask them both for quotes and go with the best. I have cruises booked with both right now. Sometimes I book first on the Princess web site if I want to hold a particular cabin. Then I transfer the booking to the TA with the best price. It is easier to make the transfer before the deposit is made. You can usually hold a booking for a couple of days before you have to make the deposit.I've wondered for a long time if a TA is able to see all of a person's bookings or just the cruises booked through them.
The TA I book through normally will actually create a booking with Princess when I ask for a quote to preserve the price and cabin selection. With my latest booking her assistant helped me first (the TA was out of office) and when the TA returned she also created a booking, so I had two separate booking numbers for the same cruise. The TA could see both, of course.

I suspect that a TA with all your information could see whichever bookings are in place - although I could be wrong.

My technique is:

Get a few online quotes from websites 1st. If a phone number is requested i just put in 01234567890 (or how ever many digits required if in a different country). I do everything by email initially.

Once i have a 'ball park' figure of the cruise, i select a couple of TA's, try and get as low a price as possible (even saying "I have a cheaper quote elsewhere" but not saying who from.......yet). Eventually you get a feeling for when a TA is at their lowest figure.

Finally, ask if they can throw anything in to 'sweeten the deal' (bottles of wine, etc).......and make the phone call. I i am happy with the price, i go for it.

If i have time, i quite enjoy the 'chase'. Often quoting, "it's a competitive market out there", to keep the TA's lively.

Good luck

Pete