Honestly, how do you long-time RC cruisers feel about Dynamic Dining?

Guest maddycat
We are so looking forward to our b2b on Quantum to experience Dynamic Dining. We are getting a little tired of the current menus from appetizers to desserts.

We've been doing MTD since it was introduced and have enjoyed our table for 2 and the ability to be done with dinner in an hour or less.

Will we like DD, can't really say until we've tried it, but we do love the concept and are looking forward to trying something different. We also appreciate the fact that Casual to Smart Casual will be the accepted dress of the evening in all restaurants but the Grande and even that has a very relaxed formal description.

I agree with all of your points. It's time for a change. Hopefully, RCI will get the kinks worked out before our Quantum cruise in April.

This will explain it. Per Adam Goldstein's webcast this past sprig, it is being introduced and trialed on Quantum class ships first with no specified plans - at least at that time - to roll it out fleet wide. But rumors abound.

Thank you for that link, leaveitallbehind. It sounds a bit complicated but the WJ is still available. I suppose if one found a restaurant that was suitable, it could be reserved every night and becomes one's MDR of choice.

I enjoyed the description of the Dog House....I had a hot dog from there on one of the ships, and it was, a hot dog....certainly it was good, but their description makes it sound like something spectacular, LOL :D

As long as it's handled smoothly, and I don't have to wait long for a table, it doesn't really matter. It would be nice if they had more (included) venues to chose from.

The 2 seating standard is a relic from the past, and was due to the limitations of the ships and systems at that time. It's not really necessary as technology has improved. There's no need to keep something inflexible simply due to "tradition". If they can offer flexibility to the satisfaction of the customers, then why not? Those that still want to eat at the same time every night can continue to do so, and if they want to sit with the same travelers, they can still do that too, so there doesn't seem to be any downside, as long as they keep delays to a minimum.

The downside is not getting your same waitstaff who develop a nice relationship with you. And the problem with that is that to have the same waitstaff you would be stuck in the same restaurant every night with the same menu since DD doesn't rotate menus in the different restaurants.

With that said, I would definitely be fine with MTD fleet wide with a rotating menu, so traditionalists could make a reservation each night and request the same waitstaff. Personally, I think this would make a perfect solution for the other ships in the fleet.

Not a fan at all. The MDR experience (if not always the food itself) and its personalized service is one of my favorite things about cruising. Will probably try dynamic dining once, but if it goes fleetwide I will either cruise far less or find a new line.

We are Diamond. We have always had the traditional late seating dining at a large table for our 15 RCCL cruises. Occasionally, it's been just my husband and myself with our 3 sons and now, our daughter in law. My husband likes the idea of no formal nights, although the rest of us like dressing up. I think that with all of the problems people are mentioning about booking DD on Quantum, they should wait to put it on other ships to see if passengers really like it after they've experienced it. If there are going to be lines and long wait times, like on land, then I am totally against it. I think because we tend to eat later, it might work out for us, but for those who prefer the earlier dining times, it might be hard to get the desired time.

I would say that I might be willing to give it a try on a larger ship once before being completely against it. However, we do like getting to know our tablemates and waitstaff over the course of a cruise.

I cannot see how it will work on the smaller, older ships!

Mary Anne

We like having the same table mates nightly...so this doesn't thrill me. I understand that a lot of cruisers totally freak out over having table mates...tho' I've never understood why, since it's fun! I guess the dining room staff gets tired of folks requesting a table for 2, when the dining room wasn't really set up that way....

OMG !!! Lol

Table mates AREN'T fun. It's the worst thing for me about cruising.

I'm really friendly and social at all times - talking to lots of people - apart from dinner. At dinner I really dislike sitting with others :)

OMG !!! Lol

Table mates AREN'T fun. It's the worst thing for me about cruising.

I'm really friendly and social at all times - talking to lots of people - apart from dinner. At dinner I really dislike sitting with others :)

It really is a coin flip. We've had excellent experiences, such as meeting a couple on a Navigator cruise in 2006 who we've kept in touch with over the years and will be cruising with on Indy next year... and then we've had downright painful experiences.

That being said, we've also done two person MTD tables where we were so close to the tables next to us (and tended to eat at the same time every night as the people next to us) that we ended up having great conversation every night even though we were sitting "alone."

The bottom line is that all we can do is speculate about how much we will like/dislike DD.

This will either go down as the brilliant move of a company with its finger on the pulse of its customers or the next new Coke.

Time will tell.

Either way, we'll be RCI customers.

I am anxious to try it and will reserve judgment until then.

I'm looking forward to it. I like the concept provided that it's well executed.

My DW, on the other hand, is an MDR fan and wasn't happy when we found out we'll have DD on our Oasis cruise next year.

How did you find out DD will be on your Oasis cruise next year? I have only heard that one CSR (and we know how accurate they are ;)) said DD is coming fleetwide and no other info since then.

I think that it might be a good idea to actually experience it before praising or condemning the concept. I happen to like the different menu options in the various complimentary dining venues but may miss the interaction with our favorite wait staff (which we have had in both the traditional and, more recently, the my time dining venue. We were recently on an NCL ship and the biggest problems we encountered involved poor service in the complimentary dining venues, but I don't necessarily seeing the same thing happening with RCI's Dynamic Dining and DD has more complimentary dining venues than we had on NCL Dawn. Let's give it a chance and see just how well it works or doesn't.

Unless the cruise is 100% free to me and my wife (and that includes EVERYTHING), I can assure you I will never sail on any ship, regardless of the cruise line, that does not offer the traditional MDR experience as an option. We have throughly enjoyed out three cruises but one of the things that it at the very top of the list of things we like (if not the top thing) is a set dining time with the same wait staff and same tablemates. I do not see any way possible to experience both with Dynamic Dining.

I am anxious to try it and will reserve judgment until then.

How did you find out DD will be on your Oasis cruise next year? I have only heard that one CSR (and we know how accurate they are ;)) said DD is coming fleetwide and no other info since then.

We booked our Oasis cruise while onboard FOS this past week. The loyalty agent (I never can remember their official title) who booked our reservation told us that Oasis would have DD for that cruise and that we would need to go online and reserve our dining prior to the cruise.

At the same time, Capt. Olson and hotel manager Michael Rasmussen confirmed during a C&A event that Freedom would be getting DD after her January dry dock.

I will be interested to see how it works. It sounds good on paper but I want to see RCI execute it. I have only dined in the MDR twice in my last nine cruises. I prefer the specialty restaurants due to the smaller venues and less rushed service. Also I have had my share of sitting with other guests who don't know or care that certain topics should not be discussed. So yes I'm all for this IF it works.

I like it. Haven't been to the MDR in years. Cruise solo, eat solo, dine in specialties or WJ.

+1

Only if I have very nice table mates, I will go a couple of times to the MDR during a cruise. Sometimes you see them around the ship, and they will tell you to come to dinner.

And the problem with that is that to have the same waitstaff you would be stuck in the same restaurant every night with the same menu since DD doesn't rotate menus in the different restaurants.

My understanding is that you can basically order from any menu. After all, it's all made in the same galley. If you don't like the menu from the venue you're at, then just ask for another one.

Unless the cruise is 100% free to me and my wife (and that includes EVERYTHING), I can assure you I will never sail on any ship, regardless of the cruise line, that does not offer the traditional MDR experience as an option. We have throughly enjoyed out three cruises but one of the things that it at the very top of the list of things we like (if not the top thing) is a set dining time with the same wait staff and same tablemates. I do not see any way possible to experience both with Dynamic Dining.

You could, of course, decide to dine in just a single one of the complimentary dining rooms and request the same wait staff. It might limit your culinary choices but you could do it. At the same time, you do understand, I am sure, that not everyone demands as much structure in their vacation schedule and Dynamic Dining is especially well-suited to that section of the cruising public.

I can't say I am excited about it, but I'm also not planning to cruise on Quantum or Anthem anytime soon. It does sound a lot like NCL's freestyle concept. We still haven't tried Oasis or Allure, we tend to like the older ships and have no desire for all the bells/whistles. :D

Sherri:)

Does this mean there could be fewer food choices overall available on a cruise?

Say there were 4 alternative restaurants (included) with a menu 6 starters, 6 mains, 6 deserts, you would have a choice of 72 dishes in total.

Versus...1 MDR with 6 choices nightly of starter, main, desert, you would have a choice of 126 dishes over a 7 day cruise.

Obviously this is just an example and the alternative restaurants are likely to have a longer list of choices like the specialities,.... but am I understanding this correctly?

If this is the case, it could save RCL a lot of money!

Edited by kfowinst

I think that I've just sat through too many painfully awkward MDR moments to feel attached to the traditional dining concept. The breaking point for me was my first solo cruise (this was before MTD), the Maitre d' moved me to three different tables in the course of two nights, just to accommodate other people's needs. The final table he placed me at the second night, a woman sitting there pitched a minor fit and said, "She can sit here tonight, but our friends will be back tomorrow night."

The Maitre d' looked embarrassed and said, "No...no...I'll find her a permanent spot for tomorrow."

I looked at everybody and said, "She's right here and can hear you, but she thinks she'd prefer to dine at Chops."

And, that's what I did.

If I'm sitting in a lounge and encounter someone exhibiting boorish behavior, I can get up and move, if it happens between courses in the MDR, well, I'm stuck being pleasant until dinner is over.

Does this mean there will be less food choices overall available on a cruise?

Say there were 4 alternative restaurants (included) with a menu 6 starters, 6 mains, 6 deserts, you would have a choice of 72 dishes in total.

Versus...1 MDR with 6 choices nightly of starter, main, desert, you would have a choice of 126 dishes over a 7 day cruise.

Am I understanding this correctly?

If this is true, it will save RCL a lot of money!

What I like about this is that every night I will now have a choice of 72 total dishes as opposed to a choice of 18 dishes every night in the MDR. I know that overall there are fewer choices but on some of the current menus there is nothing that really appeals to me. With Dynamic dining I have more choices and can have the same thing more than once if I find something I really like.

What I like about this is that every night I will now have a choice of 72 total dishes as opposed to a choice of 18 dishes every night in the MDR. I know that overall there are fewer choices but on some of the current menus there is nothing that really appeals to me. With Dynamic dining I have more choices and can have the same thing more than once if I find something I really like.

I can see your point...often on some nights I struggle to choose an entree, whereas on other nights there are 3 or 4 I want (usually formal night!)