Summit 8/24 to Bermuda (diverted) Semi-live

need2bespoiled

Wondered how Celebrity would handle the divertion. Good to know for our Bermuda cruise next year. Would enjoy going to Bahamas on the Summit. Our last trip to Bermuda was pretty rocky with 10 foot swells. Not a storm just rough seas. Didn't bother us because we've done several trans on QM2 and used to rough seas. Summit handled it well. Lots of bowls of seasick patches everywhere! When some heard going back would be the same, they flew home from Bermuda.

Have fun. Wish we were there!

Would love to know what the name of the live band onboard is. We weren't as lucky

Party N' Soul is the house band

Andea Lisa Quartet is the Jazz, R&B, Soul band.

What I have heard of both is good.

Jordan Peterson Nestor Santuino are onboard as soloists

The Lost boys are an aucustic duo onbord.

Happy Sailing,

Jenna

Just wondering how much OBC were you given .. So sad to miss beautiful BDA

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

"We appreciate your understanding as there are many things we can control, but Mother Nature is unfortunately not one of them. Although this change is caused by weather, which is beyond our control, as a gesture of goodwill and to thank you for your understanding, Celebrity Cruises will provide your stateroom with a $100 onboard credit. This credit will be applied directly to your onboard account and may be used for any onboard purchase or service. Any unused portion will be refunded to you at the end of your cruise."

I overheard our neighbors say suite guests were given $200. We are in a suite and were given $200.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

So sorry to hear about the change in your itinerary, but hopefully it will still be a great cruise for you. Now it gives you another reason to book another Bermuda cruise. Keep up the positive additude.

I also can't believe how full the ship is, especially with children. The Kids here in Fl started back to school last week.

We don't sail on the Summit until Dec can you tell me what was offered in Normandie for lunch, anything special?

It was a nice menu, open to suite passengers with an invitation in our welcome aboard packet and a verbal reminder by the Captain's Club Hostess who met us in the check-in lounger. Items were a mix of breakfast items like eggs benedict and vanilla pancake with something else I can't remember and lunch items like goat cheese soufflé, Tuna with grilled bok choy and various other items.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Happy Sailing,

Jenna

Yeah, we had the house band "Party and Soul"...curious as to what you think. Are the Tenors of Rock on board? They did sing one night in the theater. They were great! Wish thsy had played more than one night.

Edited by 20pluscruises

A friend of mine was diverted to Nova Scotia a few years back instead of Bermuda, they were not happy campers. Needless to say they weren't packed properly. Although those ports are beautiful, I think in this case the Captain made the "right" call. Although you know lots of people will be complaining no matter what. Jenna you seem to have the right attitude, the glass is still half full :)

I remember that cruise from the comments on this board. The cruise was in late September and everyone arrived in NY thinking they were going to Bermuda but were diverted to Canada for the whole cruise. Needless to say at that time of year they did not have the proper clothes. Celebrity did not tell anyone until they were on board and there were loads of complaints. If the cruise was in August it probably wouldn't have been bad. At the time Celebrity used to go to Bermuda until early October.

Edited by dkjretired

We were on a 2011 TA, and a storm was forming in the Bay of Biscay. We missed the port of Vigo, but Celebrity substituted two other ports in Spain. I wouldn't even consider asking or receiving any OBC even though it disrupted our plans for that port.

The fact that Celebrity is offering $100 OBC for the inconvenience is certainly a nice gesture, but to think that anyone would demand OBC is beyond the pale. This really doesn't surprise me, though, with our "what's in it for me" and "where's mine" entitlement society. :rolleyes:

Yeah, we had the house band "Party and Soul"...curious as to what you think. Are the Tenors of Rock on board? They did sing one night in the theater. They were great! Wish thsy had played more than one night.

Tenors of Rock are onboard. We did not go to the opening show, but may when they do their full show. We'll see how the night unfolds.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We were on a 2011 TA, and a storm was forming in the Bay of Biscay. We missed the port of Vigo, but Celebrity substituted two other ports in Spain. I wouldn't even consider asking or receiving any OBC even though it disrupted our plans for that port.

The fact that Celebrity is offering $100 OBC for the inconvenience is certainly a nice gesture, but to think that anyone would demand OBC is beyond the pale. This really doesn't surprise me, though, with our "what's in it for me" and "where's mine" entitlement society. :rolleyes:

Just to play devil's advocate here I would be a little annoyed if I paid Bermuda prices to go on a cruise to Florida. You missed a port in Spain that was substituted for two other Spanish ports, apples and apples. Swapping out Bermuda for Florida is apples and oranges. But in the end vacation is vacation, especially when you have the premium package ;)

Hopefully the folks currently onboard get some of their exorbitant port fees back from missing Bermuda, which is pretty standard when cruise lines miss a port.

Just to play devil's advocate here I would be a little annoyed if I paid Bermuda prices to go on a cruise to Florida. You missed a port in Spain that was substituted for two other Spanish ports, apples and apples. Swapping out Bermuda for Florida is apples and oranges. But in the end vacation is vacation, especially when you have the premium package ;)

Hopefully the folks currently onboard get some of their exorbitant port fees back from missing Bermuda, which is pretty standard when cruise lines miss a port.

If you read the thread, you'll see we were given refundable OBC, depending on the cabin level. The weather in Bermuda looks to be pretty bad, so what is the cruise line going to do? It's out of their control.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Happy Sailing,

Jenna

Thanks for reporting.

We love Jordan and Nestor. Unfortunately Jordan is getting off Summit as we are getting on. :( Hopefully Nestor will still be on.

Anne Maria

If you read the thread, you'll see we were given refundable OBC, depending on the cabin level. The weather in Bermuda looks to be pretty bad, so what is the cruise line going to do? It's out of their control.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Jenna,

First off thanks for starting this thread and taking time out of your vacation to keep us all updated here. I believe Celebrity made the right decision diverting the ship away from Bermuda and that they did a very nice gesture with the refundable OBC (I think the refundable part is pretty cool of them).

I was simply stating my personal opinion (I am entitled to one of those, correct?) that I would be annoyed about going to Florida as opposed to Bermuda. I have been on plenty of ships that have missed/changed ports for various reasons and it has never ruined a trip, and as I said the premium beverage package would sure help smooth over the disappointment of not going to our desired destination.

We boarded the Summit on Sunday 8/24 and were hopeful Christabel would not be an issue, and at first all seemed ok. I posted a bit previously about balcony noise but that has resolved itself.

We were told yesterday (Monday) that we would be arriving a day early at 6pm to beat the storm there. It looked however from the 4pm explanation by Captain Leo that once there we would be in the path of the storm.

At 8:15pm last night (Monday), he let us know we would be calling on Port Canaveral (Wednesday 7am-6pm) and Nassau (Thursday from 10am - 10pm). We'll have sea days on Friday and Saturday. We're sailing at full speed against the gulfstream.

A few things we've noticed about the cruise:

There are a LOT of kids onboard. About 500 inclduing teens. Most cabins and suites have much more than double occupancy. The captain told me were at about 2540 which is just under maximum capacity of ~2550

Service has generally been good, and there are places to avoid the crowds, but the pool or buffet mid-day is not one of them, so we're avoiding both areas at those times. We have enjoyed the types and volume of music and all seem appropriate to the venues to us.

Liquid has been moved to the first night and other entertainment schedules have been changed in comparison to previous cruiser's reports. We did not get a schedule of the week's entertainment in advance. Since dinner on the first night (late seating) started late, and ended late for us as we had great table mates, we didn't get there until well after it started and it was not good. Kids in the pool (it takes place in the no children solarium), very few people, just not what it could/should be so we left.

Cotton balls and q-tips as reported by another cruiser were replaced by boxed amenity kits which are definitely NOT saving money. We asked for lots of extras and got 4 packs, then that evening the bulk dispenser was returned to our cabin.

Last night on the first formal night we did not get chocolate covered cookies, but a box of chocolates. It looks like a jewelry box for a bracelet but when you open the box inside is a very pretty row of assorted petifores. We were unable to eat another bite so have not tried them yet.

There is a live band on board, two soloists and a jazz ensemble I think but I'll confirm staff on the Who's who from Port Canaveral when I have free internet :)

It is absolutely beautiful today, sunny and warm with moderate seas but since we're sailing into them, the boat is not moving much.

As I think of more things that may be of interest I will try to post.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

A wise decision to alter the ports. I heard the Breakaway also changed the schedule. Hope that you have a nice cruise and the seas remain okay! Sailing during hurricane season is risky- especially typically Sept and Oct.

Edited by Cruise a holic

It was a nice menu, open to suite passengers with an invitation in our welcome aboard packet and a verbal reminder by the Captain's Club Hostess who met us in the check-in lounger. Items were a mix of breakfast items like eggs benedict and vanilla pancake with something else I can't remember and lunch items like goat cheese soufflé, Tuna with grilled bok choy and various other items.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Very nice, thanks Jenna. Enjoy your cruise and the OBC!

I wonder if this is Colin and Ry? They were on our July 13th sailing and were trying to come up with a name for their duo. We enjoyed them as they work well together and both have great personalities. Only problem is that they have a very limited playlist. LOTS of repeats when you hear one of their shows.

Tenors of Rock are onboard. We did not go to the opening show, but may when they do their full show. We'll see how the night unfolds.

Try not to miss their show... it was awesome! We were initially bummed that 54 Below was on hiatus for our sailing, but everyone really enjoyed seeing the Tenor's performance.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I would want to go a different route...we were on a very rocky cruise and half of the crew were seasick...it was horrible!!!

Glad you are still enjoying your cruise Jenna. I'm sure people were disappointed by having Florida substituted for Bermuda. I think there would have been many complaints if Celebrity persisted in going to Bermuda and subjecting people to rough seas and pouring rain and wind in Bermuda. They did the right thing and went the second mile in giving people a refundable OBC. What's not to love about Celebrity?

Just wondering how much OBC were you given .. So sad to miss beautiful BDA

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were on Summit August . 10 great trip. Took cotton balls and q- tips away mid week. I went balastic. We were in a suite. Not very nice to get little boxes of 2 q tips. Also no chocolates on pillow at night. First cruise ever that didn't have it. Anyone else get chocolates?

We were on Summit August . 10 great trip. Took cotton balls and q- tips away mid week. I went balastic. We were in a suite. Not very nice to get little boxes of 2 q tips. Also no chocolates on pillow at night. First cruise ever that didn't have it. Anyone else get chocolates?

No chocolates...one night 2 chocolate (1 milk 1 dark) covered oreos. However, we did a beautiful red rose and some other kind of flower in our room

In all our cruises we have never touched those QTips or cotton balls ewww:eek:

They don't put new ones out for each passenger, just top them up etc so who knows who has been handling them. It would be like using someone's left over soap bar lol We usually bring our own but now I don't think we would mind using the ones in the boxes.

The cruise line does not make the decision alone. The cruise port in Bermuda is closed to all shipping until the storm has passed. Ships can not be in a port during a hurricane.

You need to tell that to the Captain of Jewel of the Seas during Wilma. We holed up in Bermuda for 2 days while the storm raged.

In any event, glad that X made the decision to keep everyone somewhat dry, and most importantly safe, and the $100 / $200 refundable OBC was indeed a nice gesture (though it should be noted that the taxes/fees X charges passengers for a Bermuda itinerary of $230 per person are SIGNIFICANTLY higher than the government taxes/fees applicable for the two ports in PCL and NAS so arguably folks have still overpaid even with the $100 OBC and hopefully X won't be "pocketing" that difference).

Edited by YYC F/A

You need to tell that to the Captain of Jewel of the Seas during Wilma. We holed up in Bermuda for 2 days while the storm raged.

In any event, glad that X made the decision to keep everyone somewhat dry, and most importantly safe, and the $100 / $200 refundable OBC was indeed a nice gesture (though it should be noted that the taxes/fees X charges passengers for a Bermuda itinerary of $230 per person are SIGNIFICANTLY higher than the government taxes/fees applicable for the two ports in PCL and NAS so arguably folks have still overpaid even with the $100 OBC and hopefully X won't be "pocketing" that difference).

I was wondering this the other day myself. While I wouldn't want to sound ungrateful if it were me in that situation and having gotten the OBC, I was definitely wondering what happens to the taxes in that case? I don't know enough about how/when the taxes get paid to be sure, but I wondered if X still had to pay them if the ship didn't actually dock?