Which companies supplies Celebrity's food

ren0312

So I want to know which companies supply Celebrity's food, so where does Celebrity source their meat and vegtables, from Tysons? As for the food in Celebrity Century I would rate it about 6-7 out of 10, and I am somewhat surprised at the lack of a French chef for Murano and the Grand Restaurant.

So I want to know which companies supply Celebrity's food, so where does Celebrity source their meat and vegtables, from Tysons? As for the food in Celebrity Century I would rate it about 6-7 out of 10, and I am somewhat surprised at the lack of a French chef for Murano and the Grand Restaurant.

What is your culinary background?

A number of the Chefs studied in France and are trained in classical French cooking.

Edited by Orator

What is your culinary background?

A number of the Chefs studied in France and are trained in classical French cooking.

Where is this posted in Celebrity's website? Also I only found out after the cruise that you could order 2 deserts and are not limited to 1.:( The waiter should have mentioned it.:mad: As for the Celebrity Century it actually was in a better shape than I expected considering that it will be retired the next year.

Edited by ren0312

Where is this posted in Celebrity's website? Also I only found out after the cruise that you could order 2 deserts and are not limited to 1.:( The waiter should have mentioned it.:mad:

Take enough Celebrity cruises and you'll know the fine people who are dedicated to providing an outstanding cruise experience. I see how this will be going so Goodnight.

Where is this posted in Celebrity's website? Also I only found out after the cruise that you could order 2 deserts and are not limited to 1.:( The waiter should have mentioned it.:mad: As for the Celebrity Century it actually was in a better shape than I expected considering that it will be retired the next year.

On the cruises that I have been on there are a few cooking demos. The chefs from the various restaurants and sections (pastry) show their stuff.

As part of these demos, each chef gives his CV. They have all studied at major culinary institutes or under renowned chefs.

RE: multiple servings, you could have asked your waiter if you could try 2 or more desserts or entrees or apps. The worst that could have happened is that he would say sorry, no. My father used to say"don't ask for anything, and you won't get anything."

Edited by Conshydot

A chef is only as good as to the quality that is being purchase. If the quality is not good he can only do so much. Example is prime meat taste way better then select. I think what Celebrity uses in there specialty restaurent is USDA choice. In the MDR it's something less then choice. Also there are different grades of choice. No where on there ships do they serve prime meat. The steaks in the MDR. Are terrible and no chef can make it any better.

On the cruises that I have been on there are a few cooking demos. The chefs from the various restaurants and sections (pastry) show their stuff.

As part of these demos, each chef gives his CV. They have all studied at major culinary institutes or under renowned chefs.

RE: multiple servings, you could have asked your waiter if you could try 2 or more desserts or entrees or apps. The worst that could have happened is that he would say sorry, no. My father used to say"don't ask for anything, and you won't get anything."

Always attend the cooking competitions and the galley tour. The head chef is always there and explains his background. In addition, the daily where the main officers are listed with a short biography, usually always gives the head chef's background. They are also usually very evident around the ship and are more than approachable. Last two cruises in the last year were on different sips, yet the head chef was the same. Terrific man, wicked sense of humor and was always asking those sailing what they thought and asked for suggestions.

Re: Multiple servings - has always been the case and I have never seen a request turned down. Waiters simply do not have the time to explain this to every customer.

A chef is only as good as to the quality that is being purchase. If the quality is not good he can only do so much. Example is prime meat taste way better then select. I think what Celebrity uses in there specialty restaurent is USDA choice. In the MDR it's something less then choice. Also there are different grades of choice. No where on there ships do they serve prime meat. The steaks in the MDR. Are terrible and no chef can make it any better.

While I concur that a chef is only as good as the quality of meat, produce etc that he is given. I disagree about the MDR. A couple years ago we had one cruise where I would agree. However the two long cruises we took within the past year have far exceeded our expectations. Steak was wonderful and prime rib among the top 5 I have ever had. Perhaps they changed their supplier but I would never hesitate to have MDR steaks in the future. I am not talking everyday menu steak, but rather one of the special daily entrees.

A chef is only as good as to the quality that is being purchase. If the quality is not good he can only do so much. Example is prime meat taste way better then select. I think what Celebrity uses in there specialty restaurant is USDA choice. In the MDR it's something less then choice. Also there are different grades of choice. No where on there ships do they serve prime meat. The steaks in the MDR. Are terrible and no chef can make it any better.

I don't think Celebrity ever stated that they serve USDA graded Prime beef on their ships. It sounds like you have been perhaps "misled" by the "modern luxury" theme. Celebrity is a mass market cruise line. Think of them as a mass market restaurant. You will not get, nor should you expect a Peter Luger quality steak on any mass market ship. Since you are in the food business, you know that any supplier can provide any quality ordered so the name of the supplier is somewhat irrelevant

I know this is stating the obvious, but one does not need a french chef or someone trained to cook in France in order to cook good french, or other, food. For example, Julia Childs was not french...etc. French cooking is a style and it's taught very well at the Culinary Institute of America, etc.

Celebrity also has to cook meals that are enjoyable to 2400-2800 passengers which translates into cooking with somewhat bland spices....cook to the masses. The specialty restaurants occasionally rise to seasoning well and aqua does a bit better than the MDR, but overall, the preparation is bland.... Sadly, that's what people like and if they were to cook everything "well seasoned", Celebrity would have many complaints.

Sorry you were disappointed. IMHO overall, the food on Celebrity is better, both in quality and in preparation than the other mass market cruise lines.

Back in 2005 I saw crates of Seven Seas Seafood waiting to be loaded onto Millennium. They are a very well respected Vancouver Seafood Company that would supply a lot of restaurants here. I was very surprised to see it being loaded in Athens. No idea if they still use them, but was impressed at the time.

If you desperately need to know the suppliers I suggest on your next cruise you find somewhere to view the dockside loading arrangements. We watched the loading of Eclipse at Southampton on our Baltic cruise last year and most of the suppliers were US based. Idaho potatoes, Alaska salmon, New England lobster along with several US meat suppliers that I cannot remember. As for the meat quality it was more than adequate for us, in fact I had a fillet mignon in the MDR which was among the best restaurant steaks I have tasted; but food enjoyment is a very subjective thing and I imagine someone else may have hated their fillet.

Like all cruise lines, they source their food products from many different companies. Celebrity also purchases many of its products in the USA, loads those products into containers, and "spots" the containers at various ports around the world to meet the needs of each ship. We were actually surprised, when having dinner with a Celebrity Hotel Manager, to learn that all the meat comes from the USA...no matter where they ship might be cruising. The planning is a massive operation since they need weeks lead time to arrange all the pre positioning of supplies. They then supplement those supplies with various products sourced locally.

Hank

We talked to the head chef when he visited us while dining in Blu. He said everything served in all restuarants use the same stuff. They buy evryhting in bulk, whole sides of beef, lamb, and etc and do their own butchering. The only difference in restuarants is how it is prepared .

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Like all cruise lines, they source their food products from many different companies. Celebrity also purchases many of its products in the USA, loads those products into containers, and "spots" the containers at various ports around the world to meet the needs of each ship. We were actually surprised, when having dinner with a Celebrity Hotel Manager, to learn that all the meat comes from the USA...no matter where they ship might be cruising. The planning is a massive operation since they need weeks lead time to arrange all the pre positioning of supplies. They then supplement those supplies with various products sourced locally.

Hank

This is correct. RCI buys many of the non-perishables and Frozen Foods from Gordon Food Service and then containerizes them in Miami and ships them worldwide to warehouses near their Embarkation Ports

Edited by rbuenger

This is correct. RCI buys many of the non-perishables and Frozen Foods from Gordon Food Service and then containerizes them in Miami and ships them worldwide to warehouses near their Embarkation Ports

I was having lunch with a Maître 'd who was filling out his inventory requests and he said the same. However, if one reads the promotions for the new Suite Restaurant they indicate that Celebrity will be preparing meals using local product. This is a significant change. There are times when a local purchase might be authorized by the Miami Office. For example: I was on a Connie TA where the Chef discovered that his sirloin supply was inadequate. He was given authorization to purchase what he needed from the market in Barcelona. Unfortunately it was closed so he had to wait for Malaga to purchase what he needed. He told me that he purchased meat that he knew wasn't up to standards, but he thought he could make it work. It didn't and he told me that he would never make that mistake again.

Edited by Orator

I was having lunch with a Maître 'd who was filling out his inventory requests and he said the same. However, if one reads the promotions for the new Suite Restaurant they indicate that Celebrity will be preparing meals using local product. This is a significant change. There are times when a local purchase might be authorized by the Miami Office. For example: I was on a Connie TA where the Chef discovered that his sirloin supply was inadequate. He was given authorization to purchase what he needed from the market in Barcelona. Unfortunately it was closed so he had to wait for Malaga to purchase what he needed. He told me that he purchased meat that he knew wasn't up to standards, but he thought he could make it work. It didn't and he told me that he would never make that mistake again.

We have a related tale about the "ole" days. One year we did a back to back to back cruise on the Regent Spirit (cruise line and ship both long gone) with the turn around days in Nice, France. By the end of our 2nd cruise we had become quite friendly with several key crew members (it was a very small ship) and when we got to Nice we walked over to the "Flower Market" with the Chef and Hotel Manager. The Flower Market not only sells flowers, but has quite a few local/regional food vendors. Our Chef purchased all kinds of fresh veggies, fruit, and some fish..which he sent over to the ship. Times have changed :).

Hank

Anyone that does a bit of research pretty much knows there is unlimited eating. No need for a waiter to mention it. I typically start my week with a few orders of lobster / escargot / whatever. Don't blame the waiter - going on a cruise with research is ones own fault.

As to their food source, I really don't care and can't imagine one would......

We listened to talk while onboard about cooking steaks . It was very interesting. A pax asked the chef where they bought the beef and he replied that it all comes from the same US vendor which gives them total control over the size and thickness of the cuts . This insures that cooking will consistent and they don't need to make changes to times etc.

I imagine they use a few suppliers--but realize what the daily budget is for food per person, and you will conclude it is not USDA prime quality. Budget is about 12 dollars a day