Celebrity's IT Department Poll

kcvillager

What do you think of X's IT Department?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of X's IT Department?

• Fire them all.
    • Get rid of the person in charge.
    • Hire a new contractor.
    • They will work through their problems.
    • They are not that bad.
    • Top It Dept. in the industry.

The fact that you even HAVE to add a cruise to My Celebrity is a joke. They know you've booked a cruise & they should add it automatically. We booked a Princess cruise with an on line TA, & the next day it was listed on My Princess. When I filled out the boarding info, most of our info was pre entered, including our passport #s, even though we hadn't cruise with Priness for 3 years. With Celebrity, every bit of info has to be re added every time you cruise.

I totally agree... Celebrity's website is a joke compared to Princess. Once you enter information, it is automatically on My Princess, including printing of boarding passes when they say they will be ready when the boarding pass info is ready.

We haven't sailed Celebrity in quite a few years and have been checking the website to compare Med cruises with Princess. The Reflection E. Med & Greek Isles is one that really caught our eye. However, went on website to compare a couple of the shore excursions in Athens and Kusadashi and found similar to Princess but much more expensive and less options. Also the videos on Celebrity excursions are so antiquated, must be 10+ years old and from RCCL. They are same old ones that we saw on RCCL in 2010 cruise and not many at that. Also why is it when you choose a cruise (i.e. Med) you have to go through "all" Med ports, not just the ones for your cruise (as Princess has)? Also when you open one to review, when you are finished and click on "return to excursions", it takes you back to the original excursions and you have to start over with selecting Med cruises and find and select that port again. Very frustrating and inconvenient. That seems like an IT problem also. Not very customer friendly and convenient.

Would really like to try a Celebrity Med cruise as the S Class ships look amazing. Hopefully when we are ready to book in a year or two, these IT issues will be long gone.

Thanks.

You're all assuming, of course, that Celebrity's IT Department is handling their website. MOST IT Departments only handle internal systems (i.e. communications, intranet, hardware) and they hire out to a web design company. I'm not saying this is the case for Celebrity, but I would think the complains should directed more at the web designers than the IT Dept. as a whole.

Just my 2¢.

Oh, and they definitely need a new web designer/maintainer.

I have read quite a few posts that state on board personnel have informed passengers they want younger clientele to cruise.

The website is a complete disconnect from that goal. Younger people expect the website to represent the experience and professionalism of the company. It doesn't, it's should be easy to book, it should be easy to log on and bask in the thrill of upcoming cruise as you consider tours, dining options, gifts and add ons. It should allow the guest to check prices rather than traveling over to another site to see if the rate went down.

While it is not likely a website issue, what's up with adding tours so late? People move on if there isn't one available and book privately. Why can't ship tours have just a bit more quality control and correct descriptions? Poor quality here influences the bottom line.

I wouldn't have much patience for a chef that couldn't cook or a cabin attendant that never cleaned, it's time to stop the cheap route on the most public face of Celebrity.

HAL and Princess sites are much better these days. It is also nice to be able to check airfare at the same time.

You're all assuming, of course, that Celebrity's IT Department is handling their website. MOST IT Departments only handle internal systems (i.e. communications, intranet, hardware) and they hire out to a web design company. I'm not saying this is the case for Celebrity, but I would think the complains should directed more at the web designers than the IT Dept. as a whole.

Just my 2¢.

Oh, and they definitely need a new web designer/maintainer.

The problem has nothing to do with design. It has to do with back-end implementation. And I am pretty sure that this is developed in-house. As an example, here is a current job listing:

E-Commerce Product Manager

Position Summary:

The Ecommerce Product Manager is responsible for developing strategies and leading initiatives to significantly increase digital revenue with a focus on increasing sales of our pre-cruise products.

They also have a position open for proofreader, and they probably could have used that position here. E-commerce or Ecommerce, 5 words apart.

Honestly, IMHO, I think this is the problem in a nutshell. More attention to revenue than detail.

You are too forgiving-- this is a simple failure in leadership. Put more value and focus on quality (meaning test and review before promoting functionality to production) and you will vastly improve the results. This is not so complicated a problem that it can't be fixed-- you solve by implementing processes and actions designed to insure and support the results you want. Ignore the process or utilize the 'Hope' methodology ( "we hope it will work") and you get the current circumstances. Focus attention on the importance of quality (agile re-iteration with QA testing) and the quality will rise. In other words-- you WILL reap what you sow.

This is fundamentally a failure in Leadership

Absolutely! It starts at the top - which is why I did not pick 'fire them all'. I was not in IT, but as a senior business project manager I have had more than enough experience to know that all of these problems begin at the top. No one wants to do a bad job - people in general will do the best they can with what they have to work with. Given a lack of resources, unreasonable expectations, unreasonable deadlines, inadequate user resources to define requirements and test, and this is what you get. You can replace the IT staff all you want but if there are no changes in the support at the top failure will continue.

Can't fairly answer the question since we don't know how much top management views IT - is it an just a cost of doing business or value added. I have seen many companies blame IT but in reality top management does not give them the resources or the budget to do an adequate job. Even heard of some databases crash and burn because the hardware was past its life. Of course hiring the lowest cost will get you in trouble too. Seems to me the lengthy ongoing problem is lack of priority and investment by Top Management.

Although not a good analogy, the Target store hacking is a good example of second class citizenship of IT departments. Target learned a hard lesson in permanent loss of business because the consumer doesn't trust Target to safeguard the customers info.

I am in the IT business and have said more times than I care to mention that the issues with the website are irresponsible and completely fixable - given someone....ANYONE that cares to fix them!

I'm not sure if X has outsourced the website to some offshore location (something that is cheap, but ALWAYS turns out poorly as the code they provide is sub-par at best.......ask me, I've seen it first hand!!!) or if their in-house IT staff is just incompetent. I've done some very nice things with minimal resources....any good coder can do that, so a lack of "resources" is nothing but an excuse.

I've posted on numerous occasions, as have many others, that we would be GLAD to take over as the contractor for X's website. We think we could do a much better job, at a reduced cost.....all I can say is that I've not heard anything from X.....and I'm not holding my breath.

More and more of X's target clientele is computer savvy.....and the younger generation (X's up and coming clientele) rely solely upon the computer....they don't want to call!!! If X wants to attract/keep their market base....they will HAVE to have a better web presence.

I'm in my late 50s and I don't do ANYTHING on X's website as it is sooooo awful. I would if it was easier so, for me, it is lost revenue for them.....shore excursions, dining options, etc. Pretty sad management skills if you ask me.....a good website would be a very inexpensive investment for a large ROI if you ask me......but then again, they haven't asked me!!!!!:confused:

'The system is currently unable to handle your request for retrieving your reservation.'

Why?????????????

We’re working right now to improve the site

While this is going on, you can read up on all things Celebrity on our Catalyst blog.

I have just seen the above message when I search for a cruise on the .com site.

I think that the Canadian company that designed healthcare.gov is available. :eek:

That would be interesting--wonder if the site would improove or degrade???-- and Carol SS-- perhaps you should call (From Cary NC) upwarduk in UK who says "we are working on the site NOW" !!!

Its a full on INTERNATIONAL SNAFU!!!!

A Company's website should be their most important customer interaction tool (best chance to make a good first experience setting up whats to come--not 'just overhead' or a cost controlled necessity) --there are more people than you can imagine that feel that if you cant get the basic website to work well you could never really provide, or even effectively create "Modern Luxury"

No good happens when customer experiences begins opposite to the branding Tag Lines--Potentially could feel sort of disingenuous ?

People who have A) never used the site or B) cruise pretty infrequently or don't use the site to do anything. I laughed when I saw "top IT in the industry."

Well, I have been able to view my cruise, book and pay for shore excursion, check in online, order and received luggage tags and even print express passes & docs. And have done so on past cruises. And I do use the website quite frequently.

Well, I have been able to view my cruise, book and pay for shore excursion, check in online, order and received luggage tags and even print express passes & docs. And have done so on past cruises. And I do use the website quite frequently.

So have we.

About 50% of the time. Earlier this year we had 4 =X= bookings in the tubes. 2 were accessible and 2 were not. With the 2 inaccessible bookings, nothing could be done...no enhancements, nothing.

Glad you had a good experience but it sure isn't the trend.

I'm the same (I think there has only been 1 time when I couldn't get in and it said they were working on the site), I wonder if it has anything to do with the search engine we use or our computers. I've also noticed that a lot of posters from UK, Australia and Canada have issues and I live in the United States, wonder if that has anything to do with it. Edited by NLH Arizona

I'm the same (I think there has only been 1 time when I couldn't get in and it said they were working on the site), I wonder if it has anything to do with the search engine we use or our computers. I've also noticed that a lot of posters from UK, Australia and Canada have issues and I live in the United States, wonder if that has anything to do with it.

I don't think it has to do with either the search engine or location. I live in the US and have tried different search engines and have not had any luck. When I called the 800 number, they could not do anything. They said they could see my reservations, but could not book excursions or restaurant reservations (basically they could not do anything). I was told to call back or go on line. This was at the end of July, they just fixed the itinerary last week so I could book the excursion. However, I cannot see the reservation under My Celebrity, I try every day, but keep getting the error message.

I don't think it has to do with either the search engine or location. I live in the US and have tried different search engines and have not had any luck. When I called the 800 number, they could not do anything. They said they could see my reservations, but could not book excursions or restaurant reservations (basically they could not do anything). I was told to call back or go on line. This was at the end of July, they just fixed the itinerary last week so I could book the excursion. However, I cannot see the reservation under My Celebrity, I try every day, but keep getting the error message.
So weird how some can see all their reservations and others can't. I see all three of mine without any issues, so there has to be something different between those that can and those that can't. Edited by NLH Arizona

So weird how some can see all their reservations and others can't. I see all three of mine without any issues, so there has to be something different between those that can and those that can't.

Oh, I can see all my reservations, but it is when you try to do anything with them: shore excursions, specialty dining, making Select reservations, etc., etc. that people are having problems. If you aren't, I would email Celebrity and tell them to clone your account for the thousands that are having problems. :) Same problems on both Azamara and RCL, too.

I'm the same (I think there has only been 1 time when I couldn't get in and it said they were working on the site), I wonder if it has anything to do with the search engine we use or our computers. I've also noticed that a lot of posters from UK, Australia and Canada have issues and I live in the United States, wonder if that has anything to do with it.

I was also wondering if it could possibly be operating systems on their computers as well, out of date browers or if they don't allow pop ups for the site. There are so many things that can cause some of these issues. Sometimes, just one setting in internet set up can do it. I have been watching too about the areas to see if there is a pattern as well.

So weird how some can see all their reservations and others can't. I see all three of mine without any issues, so there has to be something different between those that can and those that can't.

You think it MIGHT be a bug in the website? Hmmm.....:eek: