$$ Spent v. Number of Cruises

Cliff-FLL

Life is not always FAIR. Why on earth does anyone care what anyone who pays more gets? Yes when you are in an upper suite you go get more but you also pay for what you get. Same with the rest of life, bigger better home, car and everything else you pay for.

Time to get rid of loyalty programs. No matter how loyalty points are calculated, it will never be fair to some subset of repeaters.

The cruise lines should use the money they currently spend on loyalty programs into improving the ships for everyone.

I think Karl Marx would agree... but that dog don't hunt here

Ever since the Airlines in 1981 started Frequent flyer programs it is been wild profitable for them and millions of passengers... For those who choose not to join they have lost tens of thousands of dollars by not participation and wasting their time and money without hope of return... Like going with a bank that pays you zero interest rather then one which pays 20% interest..... its not rocket science.

I an others on this fourm receive thousands upon thousands of dollars from hotels and airlines from our patronage. When I fill up my gas tank ot buy a pound of butter I am getting credits . These credits allow me to fly around the world in first class sleeper suites and be offered the best rooms in top hotels, with gratus meals... because of our regular loyal patronage .

The program should not be status and being treated any different. It should mean accruing credits to be used for discounts, cruises , tours, all based on patronage in terms of dollars UAL and Delta will and go this On a LA to Hawaii Flight the guy in economy row 36F who paid $450 rt gets 2100 points the Guy in First Class 2A who paid $2500 gets !2,500. Its fair for the fare... come on

If you want more...spend more..travel more and you get more...whats wrong with that?

I think Karl Marx would agree... but that dog don't hunt here

If you want more...spend more..travel more and you get more...whats wrong with that?

:rolleyes:

Spend your money on a cruise to get a bigger cabin, a butler, free booze, ... on that cruise. Don't spend money expecting future freebies.

Wouldn't you consider it a class system where in certain room categories only a cold breakfast is available by room service??

Certainly not....if I have paid twice as much for my stateroom and that is the system provided by the cruise line......just like any other perk system tied to the amount spent.

Wouldn't you consider it a class system where in certain room categories only a cold breakfast is available by room service??

I don't have room service; HOWEVER, if that's the only thing that you can name, then I don't think there is a class system. Do others get a better table in the dining room? or a better lounge at the pool?or a better seat for a show? No, no and no. I'll continue to sail on Oceania even if my lowly cabin cannot get a "hot" breakfast. We much prefer the terrace where I can see everything!! A

Not any more than those paying more for a First/Business class ticket and are thus getting a better seat, "free" drinks and food and lounge access that economy seats do not get.

Likewise, those paying for an OS are getting a beautiful suite (with lots of extras) for their money that is much nicer than an inside cabin. IMO, they are getting their money's worth the same way than those in an inside cabin are - it's everyone's free choice.

If the OS in itself and its perks are not enough reward then don't spend the money on a cruise and treat yourself in some other way.

Not any more than those paying more for a First/Business class ticket and are thus getting a better seat, "free" drinks and food and lounge access that economy seats do not get.

Likewise, those paying for an OS are getting a beautiful suite (with lots of extras) for their money that is much nicer than an inside cabin. IMO, they are getting their money's worth the same way than those in an inside cabin are - it's everyone's free choice.

If the OS in itself and its perks are not enough reward then don't spend the money on a cruise and treat yourself in some other way.

I understand Silver Sweethearts point and agree partially. First, comparing a flight on an airplane to a cruise ships doesn't work for me. Apples and oranges.

People in higher suites do get more benefits inside of the suite. I have no problem with that. However, if Oceania gives benefits outside of the suite that is visible to others, that is more of a class system. Having been on Oceania once, the only area I saw that fit this category was the Concierge and Executive lounges. This to me is the same being on Celebrity and being able to access certain areas of the ship that other people cannot access.

It has been said that everyone is treated the same by the staff - whether you are in the lowest category stateroom or the largest suite. Hopefully that is true. The only way to really know this is if you sailed in both categories. Would love to hear from someone that has.

People in higher suites do get more benefits inside of the suite. I have no problem with that. However, if Oceania gives benefits outside of the suite that is visible to others, that is more of a class system. Having been on Oceania once, the only area I saw that fit this category was the Concierge and Executive lounges. This to me is the same being on Celebrity and being able to access certain areas of the ship that other people cannot access.

It has been said that everyone is treated the same by the staff - whether you are in the lowest category stateroom or the largest suite. Hopefully that is true. The only way to really know this is if you sailed in both categories. Would love to hear from someone that has.

I guess, Travelcat2, that means you would be against a system where a particular couple on board a ship might be invited to dine almost every night with senior officers (such as the Captain, General Manager, F&B Manager) in full view of the other passengers on the ship who never got to dine with even one senior officer on only one night. Would this sound like a class system to you? And you might be even more put off by this if one of that couple were then to go on CruiseCritic and discuss in detail how enjoyable those meals were and how delightful it was to interact with these senior members. Just curious how you would view this special treatment outside of one's stateroom or suite.

I guess, Travelcat2, that means you would be against a system where a particular couple on board a ship might be invited to dine almost every night with senior officers (such as the Captain, General Manager, F&B Manager) in full view of the other passengers on the ship who never got to dine with even one senior officer on only one night. Would this sound like a class system to you? And you might be even more put off by this if one of that couple were then to go on CruiseCritic and discuss in detail how enjoyable those meals were and how delightful it was to interact with these senior members. Just curious how you would view this special treatment outside of one's stateroom or suite.
+

As had been said by a few posters on this thread, the more you cruise with a particular line, the more known you are by the crew. Actually, you are referring to Regent rather than Oceania since dining with officers is a common occurrence on Regent. Did you know that single travelers often dine with officers? I must also ask if you have ever taken the time to introduce yourself to the Captain, G.M., etc.? Most people are simply not interested in doing that and therefore do not get to know them. Passengers in all suite categories dine with officers on Regent. Class system -- absolutely not. Dining with friends -- passengers that have achieved a high level in the Seven Seas Society - single passengers -- random selections -- definitely.

I could say a lot more about this subject but feel it is not only off topic but the wrong cruise lines board.

Did you read post #17 by CAG (who put it very well, BTW)?

Edited by Paulchili

If you want an example of a true class system on a cruise ship, think Cunard.

Only certain people can dine in Queens Grill, Princess Grill, etc

Dining room access (or lack thereof) is a basic function on a cruise ship and as such ALL dining venues should be available to all who wish to participate (for free or extra fee); executive lounge, OTOH, is a luxury and not a necessity.

Oceania does not fit the definition of a class system, IMO.

Edited by Paulchili

If you want an example of a true class system on a cruise ship, think Cunard.

Only certain people can dine in Queens Grill, Princess Grill, etc

Dining room access (or lack thereof) is a basic function on a cruise ship; executive lounge is a luxury and not a necessity.

Oceania does not fit the definition of a class system, IMO.

Obviously we do not agree on this subject. You state that dining room access is a necessity. Okay - I agree. However, is it necessary to dine in an area that is apart from other passengers on the rest of the ship? IMO, Queens Grill and Princess Grill is the same as the executive lounge...... an area where only some guests are permitted (on a different scale).

I do not think that Oceania has anything near what Cunard, Celebrity and other middle of the road ships have. Oceania is a wonderful luxury-lite cruise line that I obviously like or would not be cruising on the Riviera for a second time.

Somehow this thread has strayed from the initial topic. To bring I back to the subject, I am still wondering what type of benefit program they would suggest for people that spend more money on their cruises. IMO, there should not be a separate program based upon how much $$$ you have spent.

I understand Silver Sweethearts point and agree partially. First, comparing a flight on an airplane to a cruise ships doesn't work for me. Apples and oranges.

Why do you think it is different?

The principle seems the same to me - you pay more, you get more, as you should - both on the airplane and the ship.

Simple facts of life.

I don't have room service; HOWEVER, if that's the only thing that you can name, then I don't think there is a class system. Do others get a better table in the dining room? or a better lounge at the pool?or a better seat for a show? No, no and no. I'll continue to sail on Oceania even if my lowly cabin cannot get a "hot" breakfast. We much prefer the terrace where I can see everything!! A

Well, I DO think there's a class system ... but it isn't egregious.

Except for one cruise in the recent past when we booked too late, we are usually in a PH and sometimes above. Yes, we pay more to get extra space as well as some extra perks. I consider that as being a class system because of the extra perks. But it's not like only people in the upper class cabins can dine in the upper class dining room, as happens on Cunard.

AND treatment of all passengers is the same by the crew, no matter where you are housed. I would be really offended if that were not the case.

So in that case, Oceania does NOT have a class system. Perhaps it's a question of how you define the issue.

If I'm in a PH or OC or VS I get extra options for specialty restaurants as one example, but since we aren't that entranced with the specialty restaurants, we tend not to use the perk that much! I DO use the option to have dinner brought in from a specialty restaurant on nights when we're just too tired after a day of touring ...

How one chooses to spend our money is how one chooses to spend money.

Mura

P.S. In looking at some posts that appeared after the one I responded to, we have on occasion been invited to dine with officers -- sometimes the captain, sometimes a lower level officer. (For example, on our fifth cruise we joined two other couples with a lower level officer in Toscana.)

These have been delightful dinners but not perks that we expect. And it does depend on the captain in particular ... we have been on a couple of Oceania cruises where the captain really didn't want to bother with that function of his job. But others are wonderful hosts. We always enjoyed those evenings but we don't depend on them!

Some of the airlines are now basing their "frequent flier" status on the basis of dollars spent rather than number of miles flown. Should Oceania (and other cruise lines) do the same? Generally speaking, we spend 30K or more for each voyage but find that others who have spent 1/10t of that have a higher status because of the sheer number of trips. Is this fair?

How about getting back to the OPS question???

I think the way HAL does it does reward points based on revenue is the fairest. It is based on duration and you get 2X times for a suite, plus added points based on on board spending. It certainly adds some fairness to and provides a better balance (those that do 20 day cruises get twice the credit than those on a 10 day cruise).

For me it irks me in that sense having done 20 and 24 days cruises and getting only 1 credit per cruise.

Edited by PaulMCO

:rolleyes:

Spend your money on a cruise to get a bigger cabin, a butler, free booze, ... on that cruise. Don't spend money expecting future freebies.

Don't spend money expecting future freebees...... My question is if you are spending money for something, why would you not want to get the maximum benefit from that spending. This is spending you normally would have done, not contrived in order to achieve something.

So far that system has been in world wide use by hotels and airlines for 30+ years and its highly profitable for both company and customer. The system is NOT going away.

So, if given the choice, spending the same exact $$$ and getting the same exact service, would you choose spending with a company that gave you the product and nothing more?

Or, would you if given the option to get the same exact service, go with a company that offered you a tangible benefit for future use .

Would you put your money in an investment that was guaranteed NOT to grow in value or pay NO interest or dividend just to give it to someone?

I hope not....

Its the same with loyalty programs getting the most potential from your spending....I wish you could see how you and others could live enjoy a much better life without spending anymore

As the OP, I'm really surprised at the twists, turns, and tones. It was, I thought, a relatively-straightforward question about the methods for attaining different levels in O's loyalty program. It wasn't about status or class, or anyone being better or being treated better than anyone else.

Hotels have always allocated their points on the basis of how much you pay for the room. As you rise through the levels of their loyalty programs -- silver, gold, etc. -- you are given bonus points that make it easier to reach the next level. You also earn little perks, such as a welcome gift when you arrive, free internet, or other extras whose value increase as you move up. You can redeem the points for free rooms, reduced rates, or merchandise. Rental car companies have also used this system to encourage return business.

Airlines traditionally gave their points on the basis of miles flown but many have begun switching over to the dollar-spent model to reward those who are contributing most to their bottom line. (After all, the bottom line is what business is about.) As a consumer, I want to maximize the value of my travel dollar so I belong to certain loyalty programs.

Therefore, I go back to the basic question of whether O and the other lines should consider switching to the dollar-spent model.

Hotels have always allocated their points on the basis of how much you pay for the room. As you rise through the levels of their loyalty programs -- silver, gold, etc. -- you are given bonus points that make it easier to reach the next level. You also earn little perks, such as a welcome gift when you arrive, free internet, or other extras whose value increase as you move up.

?? With all due respect, this is incorrect (for earning loyalty levels). It is simply based on the number of nights stayed. The only thing I've seen that even touches on not getting equal treatment is that staying in a Residence Inn only counts 1/2 per night, IIRC.

The points earned are by dollar, but not the loyalty levels that get you all the perks.

Edited by azevedan

?? With all due respect, this is incorrect. It is simply based on the number of nights stayed. The only thing I've seen that even touches on not getting equal treatment is that staying in a Residence Inn gets reduced Marriott points per night. (and yes, I've been elite with other hotel families as well.)

Am a member of probably 10 or more hotel frequent renters accounts including Marriott and every one is based on points for dollars spent. I do know that some car rentals are based on nights rented but, most non airline programs are based on spend and looks like airlines are heading in that direction and wouldn't be surprised to see cruise companies move to dollars vs. nites or number of cruises.

Am a member of probably 10 or more hotel frequent renters accounts including Marriott and every one is based on points for dollars spent. I do know that some car rentals are based on nights rented but, most non airline programs are based on spend and looks like airlines are heading in that direction and wouldn't be surprised to see cruise companies move to dollars vs. nites or number of cruises.

Yes indeed same here and its $$$ per room plus credit card bonus. Only thing that is not is status which is nights driven but extra nights are tied your credit card (like with Marriott)

Airlines SW started it. Virgin also is based on revenue. Most Europeans are also based on revenue as cheap fares can earn zero.

Delta and United have followed and I would expect once the merger is consolidated US Air (aka American) will do so.

With the buying by NCL -- I guess a change we might see is a closer synergy with the Latitudes program. Meaning -- more points for increased revenue (ie. suites get double), based on number of nights, with extra points for booking early. So a 30 night cruise in a suite, booked 9 months ahead = 90 points = Platinum = highest tier.... (not something pleasant to think about)

?? With all due respect, this is incorrect (for earning loyalty levels). It is simply based on the number of nights stayed. The only thing I've seen that even touches on not getting equal treatment is that staying in a Residence Inn only counts 1/2 per night, IIRC.

The points earned are by dollar, but not the loyalty levels that get you all the perks.

I stand corrected. You're quite right that, for most hotel loyalty programs, the levels are based on the number of stays or the number of nights or a combination of both and the points are based on dollars spent. However, many offer the opportunity to advance one's level/status through various actions - e.g., carry their credit card, stay 3 times in a 4 month period, or some other gesture of loyalty.

Most loyalty programs have discarded the "one stay gets you one credit" system but cruise lines seem to be the last hold-out. For people who lease upper-level suites, O definitely has a system that fails to recognize those who bring in the most revenue.

Perhaps it's time employ a dollar-spent model: 1) a certain number of points for each cabin level (e.g., 1 point per dollar for an inside cabin; 2 points for an ocean view; 3 points for an ocean view cabin, etc.) and an additional system for dollars spent on board (e.g., 1 point for each dollar spent on a cocktail; 2 points spent on each bottle of wine; 3 points for each dollar spent on top-shelf liquors).

Of course, it would mean a bit more effort - temporarily - for the staff to track this but, as a former IT coordinator, the computers could be reprogrammed quite easily to accommodate these changes and apply them automatically.

There is something inherently unpleasant and coarse, perhaps vulgar is the word that I am looking for, in seeking that the Loyalty Program becomes nothing more than a "spend the most money with us" Contest. :(

Although it could spike revenue in the short term, running the program in the manner that you suggest might also have a number of insidious consequences, not the least of which would be getting trapped on a ship with people who have convinced themselves that money actually does trump seniority, dedication and loyalty.

That may be the way that Society is headed, but nobody wants to be AROUND or socialize with those people :eek: -and by all means keep them away from the kids!!!

Edited by StanandJim

If you want special treatment because you are in a top suite (beyond the perks you pay for) don't sail on Oceania. The cabin you decide to pay for is irrelevant to your treatment on board. In fact, I would bet that some of us in "lesser" cabins have often gotten "better" treatment than those in top suites. In fact, I there is someone who posted on this thread who sails in an INSIDE cabin and gets better treatment than many -- maybe even better than those who boast about always booking an OS. Maybe try an inside next time. LOL

Snob appeal has no place on Oceania.

Where I live...we call that fair... you get what you pay for . Not based on your title, position, net worth,who you know or what cabin you get...

If you want to call something vulgar it might referring to what suite you always stay in how you adore your butler and all sorts of little "class Discinctions" As I recall that's how the French and American revolution got started

My dollar is worth exactly the same as yours.... How much you spend has for decades been the American way you spend more...bingo you get more. I have the same option