Norweigan reported to be buying Prestige

CHUCKIE50

[quote name='hypercafe']The more I think about it the better I like it. We are platinum with NCL. Would love to see a cross reference like RCI has.[/QUOTE]

Why do people think that there will be cross-branding/referencing (I assume you mean perks, like Platinum on NCL = Platinum on O without ever taking 1 O cruise)?

Oceania and Regent are owned by the same company yet, as I understand it, are separately run with no cross-branding/referencing between them.

Look at what's happening at Azamara...:eek:

[QUOTE] Now am doubly thankful that their policies should not affect Oceania or Regent in any way.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"][FONT="Tahoma"]Famous last words-
That's [I][U]exactly[/U][/I] what Carnival said when they bought Hal, Princess and Costa
"Strictly hands off", "freestanding upscale divisions",
"No plans to change anything at this time",

Fool me once, shame on you
Fool me twice, shame on me![/FONT][/SIZE] Edited by StanandJim

[quote name='ChatKat in Ca.']I have been saying for years that at some point I can see Regent and Oceania merging. There is so much crossover with excursions, food, entertainment, staff. It's my opinion that this could be the catalyst for it.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"][FONT="Tahoma"]+1 .....and I can't see them waiting more than 8 months to do it. The NCL media people are sure to be champing at the bit to rename the ships, anyway.
[IMG]http://media701.dropshots.com/photos/703158/20140902/001249.jpg[/IMG]
The Seven Seas naming system is charming but too much of a mouthful for the uninitiated. [/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='StanandJim'][SIZE="3"][FONT="Tahoma"]+1 .....and I can't see them waiting more than 8 months to do it. The NCL media people are sure to be champing at the bit to rename the ships, anyway.
[IMG]http://media701.dropshots.com/photos/703158/20140902/001249.jpg[/IMG]
The Seven Seas naming system is charming but too much of a mouthful for the uninitiated. [/FONT][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Not even people new to Regent or those considering Regent call the ships "Seven Seas........". they are simply the Navigator, Mariner and Voyager. As FDR has stated since Regent was purchased by PCH, the two cruise lines will not merge. It has been over six years and the mantra continues.

The thought of them merging is quite comical in a way. Regent customers staying in inside staterooms on the Marina or Riviera or small staterooms on the smaller ships. The only luxury cruisers that would accept that are Crystal passengers. Then there are Oceania passengers that do not want all-inclusive. I suppose they can switch to NCL. This would accomplish passengers from both Regent and Oceania being miserable.

Seriously, if you look at Carnival..... whether we like it or not, they have successfully run many cruise lines -- without changing names ofrmerging anyone. The only thing they have merged is some head offices (HAL and Seabourn -- the same as Regent and Oceania did).

I wonder if Oceania passengers would truly like to be merged with Regent (under any name). I doubt if Regent passengers would embrace the move. It simply doesn't make sense. Most importantly, FDR will likely still be heading up the two cruise lines and he would not allow that to happen. Edited by Travelcat2

Just like Mark Conroy was eventually moved out of Regent Management, when a new company is owner and stockholder returns are paramount, there is no guarantee as to who will be in charge and what can happen.

Actually the ship configurations can work to the benefit of both lines. Single cabins, crew cabins, family ....The old R ships could be sold, moved - there are many options.

Just like Mark Conroy was eventually moved out of Regent Management, when a new company is owner and stockholder returns are paramount, there is no guarantee as to who will be in charge and what can happen.

Actually the ship configurations can work to the benefit of both lines. Single cabins, crew cabins, family ....The old R ships could be sold, moved - there are many options.

Don't hold your breath. Marc Conroy remained president of Regent for five years and has been in a paid advisory position for almost two years. However, you have said that they will merge for six years. Perhaps when that numbers hits eleven, you could be right:eek:

Just as Carnival did with Kirk Lanterman at HAL:cool:

The thought of them merging is quite comical in a way. Regent customers staying in inside staterooms on the Marina or Riviera or small staterooms on the smaller ships. The only luxury cruisers that would accept that are Crystal passengers. .

IF Oceania and Regent were to merge (and I hope that they do not) who would force the Regent loyalists to stay in Riviera's inside cabins (or force them to cruise on the R ships in smaller cabins)? There are plenty of PHs and bigger suites on the Riviera/Marina to please any Regent snob (and they are much nicer than the ones I remember from the Voyager). Or who would force them to sail on any of O's ships, for that matter, if they didn't want to.

Edited by Paulchili

Well, it's all academic now......

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2014/09/02/norwegian-cruise-oceania-regent/14954771/

Where did I put that Silversea brochure, I feel change coming on....

:D:D:D

It's underneath the Ponant and Europa 2 brochures dear :D

Edited by LaCroisiereS'amuse

We are taking our first Oceania cruise at the end of this month. As past passengers on HAL, our preferred line, I can attest to HAL's slow but steady decline. The Regatta will be our 23 cruise and hopefully not the last. Buying up all the smaller lines reminds me of the disappearance of the smaller Mom & Pop stores. It seems we just can't leave the little guy alone. Bigger isn't always better!

Edited by Flyingfish

If, and that's a big if, NCL leave PCH alone with the likes of FDR and Bob Binder remaining as consultants, then I will stick around assessing any changes on a cruise by cruise basis. The one thing I love about O is the family owned feeling that you get (rivalling the true family owned lines like Silversea and Fred. Olsen), and I can't help thinking that this could well be the first thing to go as PCH become but a part of a larger entity. If, however, independence is maintained then access to investment could a good thing.

I would never have considered having deposits on 3 cruises, all 2 weeks and longer, all in higher grades, and covering the next 2 years, before discovering O. I have noted the development of other lines with interest, with the likes of Hapag Lloyd's Europa 2, Viking Ocean Cruises, Ponant and Silversea all striking a chord, but have never gone as far as to try them, or in the case of Silversea return. Any inkling of O becoming less friendly and personal, and, more anonymous and corporate will have me, at the very least, checking out other small, independent lines.

Edited by LaCroisiereS'amuse

I wonder how soon the changes will begin

:(

A sad day for us ...not really willing to spend big $$ for NCL cruise

time to look elsewhere

Why would you think NCL is going to do anything? Isn't this jumping the gun a little? Has Seabourn really gone downhill that much since being owned by Carnival?

People make comparisons saying HAL has gone downhill. They bought them in 1989 for heavens sake. If it weren't for Carnival they may no longer be in business. This is not a market that small cruise lines can survive. Regent and Oceania are successful, but small. Perhaps people should just wait until they declare the sky is falling.

Edited by Cruise Junky

Why would you think NCL is going to do anything? Isn't this jumping the gun a little? Has Seabourn really gone downhill that much since being owned by Carnival?

People make comparisons saying HAL has gone downhill. They bought them in 1989 for heavens sake. If it weren't for Carnival they may no longer be in business. This is not a market that small cruise lines can survive. Regent and Oceania are successful, but small. Perhaps people should just wait until they declare the sky is falling.

How else can you explain the very noticeable changes (i.e. decline) in quality of HAL & Princess over the years - certainly not by infusion of funds from Carnival.

Not that this is an identical situation but look at the UA elites leaving the airline in droves after the take-over by CO management.

Changes on O are inevitable, IMO, though they may be slow.

Edited by Paulchili

How else can you explain the very noticeable changes (i.e. decline) in quality of HAL & Princess over the years - certainly not by infusion of funds from Carnival.

Not that this is an identical situation but look at the UA elites leaving the airline in droves after the take-over by CO management.

Changes on O are inevitable, IMO, though they may be slow.

Welcome to cruising in 2014. All lines have declined. Cruising is nothing like it was in the 80s and to compare HAL in 1988 to today is ridiculous. Princess and HAL have all had new ships under the Carnival umbrella which may not have happened if not been bought.

Welcome to cruising in 2014. All lines have declined.

Surely there are exceptions to this sweeping statement. I will only mention Oceania that has gotten better and better since its inception with 2 wonderful new ships and the best food at sea. They seemed to have been competing very successfully with the giants having their own niche.

Let's see what future brings.

Edited by Paulchili