NCL Reports It Has Agreed to Purchase PCH

rallydave

The same unfounded negativity surfaced then and has not come to pass -- most likely because it involved a factor not included in your doom examples, FDR.

Also, let's not forget that FDR was in charge of those changes and that is why it all went well.

This time he is not the "boss" :(

I (we) don't know his position and powers in the new structure. It all depends on how much authority and freedom he is given by NCL.

Let's hope for the best possible outcome.

Also, let's not forget that FDR was in charge of those changes and that is why it all went well.

This time he is not the "boss" :(

I (we) don't know his position and powers in the new structure. It all depends on how much authority and freedom he is given by NCL.

Let's hope for the best possible outcome.

First, I apologize for not reading your posts in their entirety. Speeding reading can be a problem sometimes.

We feel that FDR can do no wrong (perhaps naïve but truly believe it). I also believe that he and Mr. Kamlani will have authority and freedom in the foreseeable future. In fairness to them both, perhaps we should take a wait and see attitude rather than one of doom. JMHO.

I will reiterate that I am one who is taking a wait-and-see attitude. I'm not wild about this development but I'm not expecting the worst either.

We have done two NCL cruises -- a Buenos Aires-Valpo cruise in 2001 on the DREAM (no longer in their fleet, 1750 passengers) and a TA on GEM in April 2010 (2300 passengers).

It IS different if you book a suite (which costs far less than a suite on O, that's a given). But you get a private dining room for breakfast and lunch, a concierge to book any reservations you need, and other perks. I would NOT sail on NCL in an ordinary cabin, no. I'm older now and I want my comfort! But the Haven suites are great, so are the Family Penthouse suites. (Our TA in a Family Penthouse suite in April 2010 cost less than our TA in March 2009 would have cost for a cheapest room on Regatta.)

The concierge was handy because despite NCL's pronouncements about open seating, we discovered that you had a half hour wait in the two no-fee restaurants UNLESS the concierge booked your table. The downside to that was that while we got seated immediately, we almost never were able to share our table -- and we like to do that. On O we've sometimes had to wait 5-10 minutes, but never more. Occasionally we received a table for two rather than our preferred sharing. (It depends on how many people arrive when.)

And it has always bothered me that NCL claimed to have invented open seating when Renaissance did it before they did -- and in our opinion, better.

I am hoping and praying that NCL will do as they are now saying -- that things will remain pretty much the same. I hope that FDR and Kamali will stay on longer. But I'm not cancelling cruises and in fact I'm going to book another for 2016 soon. If we get reports of serious downgrades in service, we'll have plenty of time to cancel. I'm not ready to jump ship when I don't know what is really going to be happening.

I remember a passenger on our 2010 NCL cruise who was very negative about Apollo's impact on NCL and it doesn't appear that they destroyed it.

No, we didn't like the nickel and diming and constant selling of Bingo, lottery tix, etc., and will hope that these don't migrate to O and Regent. Somehow, I don't think they will. NCL says it wants a luxury and premium line to go along with their mass market line. That makes sense to me.

So, as many have already said -- I will wait and see.

Possible future downsides that occur to me: removal of the laundry rooms. (I personally would hate that. Others prefer not to do laundry on a cruise but I prefer to do my own.) Adding the NCL ban on bringing on your own hard liquor to O (when we did that cruise I thought they wouldn't let you bring on wine either but I wouldn't object to paying $15 per bottle for 3, that's less than O's corkage of $25).

I will be on Marina in April and will see if there are differences then ...

Sorry to blather on so long. That's a failing of mine ... I wonder if I could extra credit for the number of posts on CC given that mine are often longer than most ... :D

Mura

Edited by Mura

I wonder if I could extra credit for the number of posts on CC given that mine are often longer than most ... :D

Mura

You can always try - good luck :D

Over 25 words - you get credit for 2 posts (and so on....) :) You'll still have a way to go as I saw someone on NCL boards with over 85,000 posts!

Edited by Paulchili

You can always try - good luck :D

Over 25 words - you get credit for 2 posts (and so on....) :) You'll still have a way to go as I saw someone on NCL boards with over 85,000 posts!

Oh, there are LOTS of people (even here!) who are well ahead of me.

I'm beginning to think that I should set up a campaign for people to get credit for per word as opposed to per post ...

Of course if that happened then everyone would become as verbose as I can be ... so I supposed we should forget about it! :)

Mura

I sold with the understanding that things would not change for three years. I doubt if this was the case here but if FDR really cares he made some provisions. I had a real bad issue and he did not handle it...Mr. Kumlani did and efficiently. I did not snivel about it on the board! Things probably are not that bad...please hang in. Paul Chili..even though you regularly skewer me...I agree mostly with you. We will see how much control FDR has retained. In tbe meantime we cant work it over. And for those of you who think Mr. FDR got the whole 3.2 ir so billion...he did NOT. It was not a cash buy out...and Norwegian assumed a basketful of debt. Relax all..Laters

Mura, had to laugh about credit for posts. I think you and I would receive many:)

Does NCL not have laundry facilities onboard? That would be surprising. When we sailed Regent or 9 1/2 years (now 10 1/2), we became Platinum Seven Seas Society members and are thrilled with the free laundry benefit. When we sailed on Oceania, I did my own laundry (on port days when people were ashore). Didn't really mind paying for it. It is a lot less $$$ than having your laundry done for you.

I saw the episode of Undercover Boss when it originally aired and watched it again today and again tonight (with my DH) with my focus on Mr. Sheehan. It did open my eyes a bit but prefer not to state my feelings on a public board (which does not mean they are negative). I tend to be a very good judge of character and there were some things I noticed that were significant but nothing that would indicate that he is not to be trusted.

After our November Oceania cruise, we do not plan on booking anything else on Oceania (which does not mean that we won't decide to book one spur of the moment). As you know, Regent is home to us and we want to sail with Regent as long as FDR is CEO and Mr. Kamlani is President. Should they both leave, there is no doubt that we will stop cruising. We have cruised for 10 1/2 years and took international vacations for 18 years prior to that. We are fortunate to have seen everything in the world that we are interested in seeing.

We are so thankful for the wonderful cruises we have taken over the years -- the kindness shown by the officers and staff of both Regent and Oceania. There is no reason to doubt that, going forward, the success will continue. We went through the take-over of Regent by PCH (so successful but, in many ways, painful to go through). Do not know if we want to go through it again. We have Regent booked through 2015 and are hoping to be on the maiden voyage of the Explorer. Beyond that, who knows.............................

Edited by Travelcat2

Mura, had to laugh about credit for posts. I think you and I would receive many:)

Does NCL not have laundry facilities onboard?

Travel, when we sailed on GEM in April 2010 they had removed the laundry rooms. You had to use their paid service or nothing.

When you mention the episode of Undercover Boss I do recall seeing it but have forgotten the details. I will have to look around!

As to future cruises on our favorite lines (mine is O, yours is R) I still say wait and see. We don't know.

We were devastated when Renaissance failed and then inspired when FDR and friends created Oceania. If things don't work out for him with NCL, I wouldn't put it past him to start again ... who knows with what ships?

But I'd go there in a heartbeat if such a thing were announced IF the Oceania product becomes a shadow of itself. And I suppose further "ifs" ...

I'm still waiting, despite these conjectures.

Mura

...We were devastated when Renaissance failed and then inspired when FDR and friends created Oceania. If things don't work out for him with NCL, I wouldn't put it past him to start again ... who knows with what ships?

Well, there's already speculation that NCL will get rid of the "R" ships, and already rumors thar FDR might buy a couple of the others - maybe the Renaissance name will get a renaissance ;):rolleyes::cool:

Big problems are a com'n....what else can they say other than nothing will change...mgmt team's noses must be growing with each interview...it's going to be slow and painful downhill spiral for Oceania....we are huge fans of "O" and this is very bad news....hope I am proven wrong...

If you really hope you are wrong, try to see some good instead of feeding the doom and gloom that could help make your predictions come true.

Sent from my XT1031 using Forums mobile app

Very true. In fact I do not think some will ever have a nice trip on O again as they will see the NCL bogeyman around every corner.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Edited by hypercafe

Well, there's already speculation that NCL will get rid of the "R" ships, and already rumors thar FDR might buy a couple of the others - maybe the Renaissance name will get a renaissance ;):rolleyes::cool:

I would bet there will be a "no competition " clause in the contract

Maybe FDR will just retire & enjoy a nice life with his family or maybe find another project

Time will tell

Lyn

I would bet there will be a "no competition " clause in the contract

Maybe FDR will just retire & enjoy a nice life with his family or maybe find another project

Time will tell

Lyn

What on earth makes you think such negative thoughts. Are you still smarting over your last cruise, so want to hurt Oceania? I thought you were never going to sail O again. So, why do you care?

What on earth makes you think such negative thoughts. Are you still smarting over your last cruise, so want to hurt Oceania? I thought you were never going to sail O again. So, why do you care?

It is not negative comments it is a common business practice to include a "no competition clause"

I NEVER said I was NOT going to sail Oceania before I said I was waiting to see .....we are still booked & sailing in May 2015

Get well soon

Lyn

While this 'merger' maybe a fiscally sound one for O, I am doubtful that it will enhance the cruising experience of past loyal O passengers. NCL tends to cater to a younger demographic and thus comes a bit close to the Carnival brand! [ Not my cup of tea :( ] My daughter just came back from a NCL Hawaiian cruise and confirmed that the passenger make up tended to be 'partyers'..possibly this was due to the destination?

Regardless if now O will be transferring crew and staff back and forth between both lines, I suspect that this will result in a drop of service on the O ships.

NCL staff tend not to be as 'service oriented' as the O staff.

I guess time will tell. We go on a sailing on the Marina in December..hope that the O staff and crew that is on board now remains for our sailing and that they don't 'intermingle' staff from NCL!

Comments, thoughts?

J

My first question is "Have you ever been on an NCL cruise?" I see you're relying on your daughter's report, so it sounds like you haven't. If that's the case, how do you know that NCL's crew is not as service oriented as Oceania's?

In general we've been satisfied with the service we receive on NCL. I won't speculate on how it compares to Oceania because I haven't cruised on Oceania.

This overall topic is getting a lot of discussion on a couple of other threads. Most of us are hoping that there will not be detrimental changes, and most likely we all ought to wait and see. If things get worse, then and only then, will it be time to start to look elsewhere.

Regardless, considering the size of this deal, and the time it will take to a) complete the paperwork and b) decide what, if anything, they are going to change, I cannot imagine that you will notice one iota of difference in December.

While this 'merger' maybe a fiscally sound one for O, I am doubtful that it will enhance the cruising experience of past loyal O passengers. NCL tends to cater to a younger demographic and thus comes a bit close to the Carnival brand! [ Not my cup of tea :( ] My daughter just came back from a NCL Hawaiian cruise and confirmed that the passenger make up tended to be 'partyers'..possibly this was due to the destination?

Regardless if now O will be transferring crew and staff back and forth between both lines, I suspect that this will result in a drop of service on the O ships.

NCL staff tend not to be as 'service oriented' as the O staff.

I guess time will tell. We go on a sailing on the Marina in December..hope that the O staff and crew that is on board now remains for our sailing and that they don't 'intermingle' staff from NCL!

Comments, thoughts?

J

NCL paid three BILLION dollars+ for Prestige Cruises International, which indicates that they attach some value to the investment. It seems logical, therefore, that they will try to maintain PCI in a manner consistent with the way that Carnival has handled Seabourn Cruises (i.e hands off).

The corporate blending of Carnival and Holland America,although it did lower costs at HAL, has been universally recognized as disastrous.

Edited by StanandJim