Price drop after final payment: TA disadvantage?

terrific_surprise

When I booked our first cruises, I never considered using a TA, assuming that it would be best to book directly with Princess. But over the past three years on CC I have learned of various advantages of using a TA instead of booking directly with Princess. It took me a while to find a TA I felt comfortable with, but eventually we met a friendly TA on a short getaway cruise (as we waited together to talk to the Future Cruise Consultant).

I have been happy with the personal service the TA has provided, and feel that the TA has responded to my concerns quickly and efficiently (and has even anticipated my needs in ways that may have saved me from having major problems).

But a few days after the final payment deadline for our next cruise, I noticed that the advertised price for the cruise had dropped $100 (this does not seem to be a "flash sale," and the price appears in black, not red, on the website). I asked the TA if it might be possible to get OBC for the $100 difference. (I thought I had recalled that our Princess Cruise Vacation Planner had done this for us previously in a similar situation.)

The TA cautioned me not to get my hopes up, but agreed to ask Princess. Later I received a message from the TA saying that Princess said that they do not make exceptions after final booking.

After this disappointment, I decided to do a search on CC to see if anyone else here had been in this situation. I found a 2012 thread on this subject, where some users (such as posts 16 and 18 on this thread) said that Princess would honor the difference in cases like this while a TA would not do so.

I thanked our TA for trying to get an adjustment, and I believe that the TA really did try to help. Assuming that the TA probably received a reduced commission (because this cruise was booked in part with previous "free cruise" credits from a getaway cruise), I would not want to even think of reducing the TA's commission any further to give me any credit. Nevertheless, I am beginning to wonder if in the future it might be wise to switch back to booking directly with Princess.

Various times on CC (including on the 2012 thread I mentioned above) I have seen Pam in CA offer the advice that a TA who books a high volume of Princess cruises would provide a discounted price which would make such late pleas for adjustments unnecessary. Apparently my TA doesn't fall into that category, and I haven't taken the time to learn how to find one that does.

I also know that many CC users caution their fellow cruisers not to even look at the prices after final payment. Perhaps I should have taken their advice and saved myself some frustration.

Anyway, I like to let other people learn from my mistakes. Perhaps some other CC users will have some additional wisdom to offer about this which supplements what was said in the previously mentioned thread.

Edited by terrific_surprise

As you probably noticed from reading other threads, sometimes those booking with Princess were able to get a lowered price (OBC or refund to credit card), and sometimes they were not able to do so. Often it may have depended on which agent they reached when making the call.

Similarly, a TA will often get a random agent when calling about the same question and may get a different answer depending on which agent was reached.

I am not sure it is a TA's job to keep calling until reaching an agent with the "right answer" after initially getting a "no."

Our agent would not even try, Just said "new bookings only" and made no effort. Needless to say, we won't be using that agent or agency again. Actually it was the agent who turned us over to their customer service departmen where we got NO service.

Edited by dorisis

I don't see an advantage of booking with Princess for price adjustments after final payments. Princess almost always refunds credits cards for price reductions. I personally have never been offered OBC for a rate reduction.

As with Princess agents, TAs can also see rate codes and often knows which discounts can work after final payment and which can't.

If you see a discount, always call who you book with. It is always worth trying. It is not always possible (regardless who you book with) but always ask.

Edited by Coral

Your TA is fudging a little, Princess does give price drops after final.

It all depends on how the TA handles it. Question is did the TA even try?

We have recieved price drops after final. I have never been told that Princess does not do that.

It all depends on the new promotion... "New Bookings Only", etc...

When speaking to Princess, different agents will give you different answers, because they don't know their own rules. Most fares after final are for new bookings only, some are not. But even if they are flash promotions, sometimes they would say you can get that new lower fare. As long as they made a note in the system, you can then have your TA contact them and get the lower price.

Like Pam, my TA also offer discounted price from Princess website. You just need to ask your friends for referrals until you find the one that does...

terrific - I'm not sure why your TA wouldn't be able to get the lower price. Our final payment was due Aug. 26, on Aug. 29 I noticed a substantial price drop, called Princess and they gave us a credit card refund of the difference.

(I booked directly with Princess.)

Edited by BananaAnna

I rarely find a drop in the Princess price to below what my TA has charged. So a price adjustment to the Princess price would be an increase.

Took the words right out of my mouth!

In an effort to try booking directly with Princess, I asked if they would match what my TA was offering and I was told, "no, we don't do that". So even with Princess price drops for my upcoming cruise, the price is still way more than what I paid through my TA! ;)

Recently, after final payment, my TA contacted us with a $1300+ reduction plus OBC that was not visible to me on the website. Worth her weight in hold!

I think we sailed with you on the Grand!

Some of the folks we met on the Grand will be on the Crown with us in October! Can't wait!

Sounds like you have a great TA!

I have had luck booking with various online TA's but have yet to find the "ONE" to use every time we cruise! ;)

I think we sailed with you on the Grand!

Some of the folks we met on the Grand will be on the Crown with us in October! Can't wait!

Sounds like you have a great TA!

I have had luck booking with various online TA's but have yet to find the "ONE" to use every time we cruise! ;)

Hi Susan. Yes we cruised together on the grand and I think did a private excursion together. Hope you're well!

We have been fortunate to find a fantastic TA!

I rarely find a drop in the Princess price to below what my TA has charged. So a price adjustment to the Princess price would be an increase.

Discount TAs base their price on what they are charged by Princess.

If Princess lowers their price (even if still above what you have paid with a TA), then the discount TA can usually lower their price, but not always the full amount of the Princess drop.

Of course if you paid when Princess charged X, Princess then raises the price to Y and then has a sale which lowers it to an amount still higher than the original X, your TA cannot do any better. But if the new sale price is lower than what Princess originally charged (X), your TA may be able to help.

Naturally, check the conditions of the new pricing. If your pricing came with Princess extras (excursion OBC, bottle of wine, etc.) and the new pricing does not include those amenities, you may lose them if taking advantage of the new pricing.

To the OP. If it makes you feel any better, I'm out almost $1000. I called ta and she called princess and they said the price was for new bookings only. Ta asked if we would like to be put on a three way call with princess, so we said ok. Princess said "NO!" I asked if they could possibly give us dinner for 2 in one of the speciality restaurants and again we got "NO!" I don't think asking for dinner was asking too much, especially when we have another cruise already booked with them. I guess I thought it would have made good customer service.

I booked my upcoming cruise with an online TA for a price that below what Princess was charging by several hundred dollars. Then I saw a price drop on the Princess website that would have saved us almost $500. So I emailed my TA and asked for the lower price. To my surprise, they gave me a price that was almost $1400 less than I originally paid and over $800 less than the new lowered Princess price!! I'm happy!

:D

I booked my upcoming cruise with an online TA for a price that below what Princess was charging by several hundred dollars. Then I saw a price drop on the Princess website that would have saved us almost $500. So I emailed my TA and asked for the lower price. To my surprise, they gave me a price that was almost $1400 less than I originally paid and over $800 less than the new lowered Princess price!! I'm happy!

:D

But you didn't have final payment yet,correct?

But you didn't have final payment yet,correct?

Correct!

The funny thing is, Princess has changed their price several times!

For ex: Oceanview was listed as $3999 one day, then $3600 another and then back to $3999. Now its $4300 well after final payment and about 45 days from sailing!! Crazy!:confused:

Just a quick question from the UK because I am really intrigued by all of this - if you bought a new TV and then saw that the store was running a sale a few weeks later, would you go in and ask for some of your money back? In the UK you pay the price at the time and that's your lot. You take a chance on booking at the lowest price. We would be laughed out of court if we asked for a discount if the price dropped after we had booked.

• 2 weeks later...
Just a quick question from the UK because I am really intrigued by all of this - if you bought a new TV and then saw that the store was running a sale a few weeks later, would you go in and ask for some of your money back? In the UK you pay the price at the time and that's your lot. You take a chance on booking at the lowest price. We would be laughed out of court if we asked for a discount if the price dropped after we had booked.

If when I purchased the TV they told me to monitor the price and if it were to drop any to call in and they would return the price difference, then yes I would.

In the USA, yes, if the price dropped and you feel like going back with your receipt and ask for the lower price, you will get it...no hassle! ;)

As you probably noticed from reading other threads, sometimes those booking with Princess were able to get a lowered price (OBC or refund to credit card), and sometimes they were not able to do so. Often it may have depended on which agent they reached when making the call.

Similarly, a TA will often get a random agent when calling about the same question and may get a different answer depending on which agent was reached.

I am not sure it is a TA's job to keep calling until reaching an agent with the "right answer" after initially getting a "no."

I have learned that with Princess, HUCA (hang-up-call-again) is an important strategy to use if an agent seems to be giving the "wrong answer." Knowing that it isn't "a TA's job to keep calling..." I am becoming more convinced that I should go back to booking directly with Princess and prepare to HUCA (unless I can find an amazing TA like Luvmyrotti or suzyed).

Tim