Kleenex in Room?

2 Sister Sue 2

I realise you are a man and wouldn't think of this issue but I ask you---in all honesty would you want to blot your lipstick with a square from a roll that sits beside the toilet? Think about it. :D:eek::D

I understand what you are saying, however if you look around most Navy installations (at least when I was active) you would find a roll of TP in a drawer of about 1/3 to 1/2 of the desks. That roll never got anywhere near a toilet!

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool :cool:

We once saw a t-shirt with the message:

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers." :eek:

My DH felt the need to purchase it though, thankfully, he never actually wore it.

I have read here where several people have mentioned about putting their used Kleenex into the toilets.

Never ever have we done anything like that. We have waste cans in the bathrooms for used Kleenex. And there are waste cans in the bathrooms on the ships.

This makes me wonder how lazy people are that they can't put used Kleenex in the waste cans instead of the toilets.

Seems like it would take MORE effort to lift the toilet lid than to just toss into the waste can. :confused:

The waste baskets in HAL bathrooms have a lid to be lifted when disposing of something. :)

On both ships on both my recent cruises, the bathroom waste can was not the familiar coral plastic one with the lid. Both had been replaced by a chrome metal can without a lid.

They appeared easier to remove/replace when emptying or cleaning. They gleamed.

I understand what you are saying, however if you look around most Navy installations (at least when I was active) you would find a roll of TP in a drawer of about 1/3 to 1/2 of the desks. That roll never got anywhere near a toilet!

What a novel idea!! :D:D

My DH felt the need to purchase it though, thankfully, he never actually wore it.

If my DH saw that t-shirt he would also buy it. My problem is - he WOULD actually wear it - especially this week. :rolleyes: (One of those weeks where you keep muttering "can't anyone do anything right!")

Edited by Linda&Vern

So, is the consensus that we can flush the ship's tissues, as they are made for the plumbing system, but not "real" 2- or 3-ply Kleenex, or that we must not flush either?

I agree that if the ship's tissues shouldn't go down the toilet, they probably shouldn't be in the bathroom in the first place.

On both ships on both my recent cruises, the bathroom waste can was not the familiar coral plastic one with the lid. Both had been replaced by a chrome metal can without a lid.

They appeared easier to remove/replace when emptying or cleaning. They gleamed.

Nice. !!!

After all these years, new trash cans in the bathrooms. :)

I like it.

If my DH saw that t-shirt he would also buy it. My problem is - he WOULD actually wear it - especially this week. :rolleyes: (One of those weeks where you keep muttering "can't anyone do anything right!")

:D He couldn't resist it and there was no way he was leaving that

store without it. :) Actually, it was in Montreal in a store just up the street from the Cathedral.

Re: Towels - yes, this IS an issue, not really the towels but washcloths. And not that folks put them into the toilet, but on some ships they hang on a towel bar over the toilet and can be unintentionally knocked in if the seat cover is up. On one long cruise the crew had a display on the lower atrium of items (well - clean versions) of things they had found plugging the vacuum lines on the ship on that trip - washcloths, socks (again - probably fell off the rack when drying), wads of facial tissue (frequently called Kleenix), and other items I do not exactly recall. An interesting display.

Regarding the comments on facial tissues - at least in my example earlier in this tread, the reason they were put in the toilet was that they were SOFTER than the TP, and I believe we have all had experiences in life where softer was better on sore butts. Used this way they are not items I would put on the trash can be I at home or on a cruise ship. (Now, on some private sailboats, and cruisers that is exactly what you are required to do, use a trash can or a bag or whatever - but not the toilet.)

Re: Towels - yes, this IS an issue, not really the towels but washcloths. And not that folks put them into the toilet, but on some ships they hang on a towel bar over the toilet and can be unintentionally knocked in if the seat cover is up. On one long cruise the crew had a display on the lower atrium of items (well - clean versions) of things they had found plugging the vacuum lines on the ship on that trip - washcloths, socks (again - probably fell off the rack when drying), wads of facial tissue (frequently called Kleenix), and other items I do not exactly recall. An interesting display.

Regarding the comments on facial tissues - at least in my example earlier in this tread, the reason they were put in the toilet was that they were SOFTER than the TP, and I believe we have all had experiences in life where softer was better on sore butts. Used this way they are not items I would put on the trash can be I at home or on a cruise ship. (Now, on some private sailboats, and cruisers that is exactly what you are required to do, use a trash can or a bag or whatever - but not the toilet.)

I guess that's the reason we have to remember we're not in a hotel, but on a ship at sea!:)

This makes me wonder how lazy people are that they can't put used Kleenex in the waste cans instead of the toilets.

Lazy? Really? It doesn't take much effort to do either, and since most bathrooms are small enough that the toilet, sink, and wastebasket are fairly close together, laziness really has nothing to do with it.

Who flushes Kleenex? I have never heard of doing that. I never even considered it. Why would you even need to say that?

We were on a cruise where someone had flushed a face cloth down the toilet - causing blockages, of course.

You can't fix stupid.

Edited to add: I never considered the placement of the towel hanger could play a roll in this... :D

Edited by Boytjie

Boytjie,

Thankfully the toilet seat was down, but at least two times over a series of long cruises I have removed a washcloth from the "bar" and knocked the other one off the "bar". It landed on the top of the seat cover once and on the floor beside the toilet the other time. I am more careful now. Maybe it was wishful thinking but I was glad to realize that perhaps folks do not intentionally put a washcloth in the toilet.

It still never ceases to amaze me the stupid things that people will do. You would think that after 30 years I have pretty much seen and heard it all. But quite frequently some knothead will come along and make me shake my head and say "Wow , you win" *LOL*

It still never ceases to amaze me the stupid things that people will do. You would think that after 30 years I have pretty much seen and heard it all. But quite frequently some knothead will come along and make me shake my head and say "Wow , you win" *LOL*

Some things I've witnessed makes me wonder how they managed to get from Monday to Tuesday let alone made it out of adolescence. And they never learn......... :D YOU (and Copper) likely could write a book!