1. 1. How much do you tip to room attendant on 14 to 17 day cruise

• $0
    • $1 - $20
    • $21 - 50
    • $51 - 75
    • $76 - 100
    • $101 - 150
    • $151 or more

I usually tip our room steward $20-$50, depending upon the length of the cruise, on the first or second day and ask that our ice bucket be filled a couple of times a day during the course of the cruise. This has worked out well for me.:)

We have done that before as well. It does get their attention.

Thank you all so much for your responses and votes, this is helpful.

As to the question of did I mean one or both, I did in fact mean one. I am new to HAL and did not realize there was a main steward/ess and then an assistant. I have seen on other lines where I have assigned the same steward/ess but that they may have an assistant that helps between different sections, but have never seen a second one in my room or interacted with the second.

If I were to tip the "main" person do they split it with the assistant or is it on me to give to both? Or if I prefer one over the other and want to reward one more? Knowing the job is split between two, honestly, I think I'd still tip the same overall amount; rooms are made up in the morning and turned down in the evening and the auto tip covers that, but I know many of these people work so hard and even on a 7 day cruise often will try to do something to have that special "extra" touch; no real definition but you know they are giving a little more personalized service, and I do appreciate that and tip additional cash for it.

There seems to be a consensus with the voting; with nearly 52% within two of the options and a pretty tight general range which seems fair to me.

As for who has voted for what, I can not even see that, if it is an option somewhere I'm not sure.

Thanks again all, hope this continues in good spirits and helpful nature.

Thank you all so much for your responses and votes, this is helpful.

As to the question of did I mean one or both, I did in fact mean one. I am new to HAL and did not realize there was a main steward/ess and then an assistant. I have seen on other lines where I have assigned the same steward/ess but that they may have an assistant that helps between different sections, but have never seen a second one in my room or interacted with the second. ...

Thank you for answering my question, I have voted now :D

• 2 weeks later...

We will be switching it up the next cruise as DH is leaving 4 days before DD, DS and I. We had not thought about it before but I will have my hands full the last night and am not comfortable trying to find people while packing and organizing 2 kids for a long flight the next day. So I think DH will handle this aspect of the cruise 14 nights in.

I also tip the lead and assistant room steward 2 days into cruise. If the wine Stewart goes above and beyond I will tip them a couple days into cruise as well. All other "additional" tips occur at end of cruise and if the service was above and beyond normal. I know...it is subjective.

I usually tip our room steward $20-$50, depending upon the length of the cruise, on the first or second day and ask that our ice bucket be filled a couple of times a day during the course of the cruise. This has worked out well for me.:)

We don't tip upfront and our ice bucket is filled regularly without asking. I think exceptional service is more to do with how you treat your room steward rather than giving them a bribe.;)

... the steward or stewardess is someone you are most likely to have the MOST direct interaction with.

Don't know if we are different from other folks but we definitely have much more direct interaction with our dining room waiter, assistant waiter, wine steward and maitre d' than our room steward. On most cruises, we see him on embarkation day and maybe once a day after that just long enough to say hello. The dining room staff we interact with on a daily and get to know them much better.

We must be low maintenance passengers.

Edited by taxmantoo

How much do you tip the room steward or stewardess on a cruise length of 14 to 17 days. This is a poll; please choose from choices above. This will be helpful research; the steward or stewardess is someone you are most likely to have the MOST direct interaction with.

I'm presuming you mean in addition to the automatic Service charge.

The end-of-cruise tip depends on the kind of service we get from steward.

Sometimes we tip more, sometimes less: $2-$5 per day total not per occupant.

Exceptional

I have trouble walking more than about 30 yards without stopping to let my legs have a rest. We had an AFT on Nieuw Amsterdam (a happy wife leads to a happy life). I would stop midway between our room and the elevators. The steward in that section saw me the first day walking to muster drill and I explained why I was in the hallway just standing there.

On the way back to the room there was a chair with my name on it in an alcove about halfway to the room.

Above and beyond to me. $50 to him at the end of the cruise. He was not our steward.

Exceptional

I have trouble walking more than about 30 yards without stopping to let my legs have a rest. We had an AFT on Nieuw Amsterdam (a happy wife leads to a happy life). I would stop midway between our room and the elevators. The steward in that section saw me the first day walking to muster drill and I explained why I was in the hallway just standing there.

On the way back to the room there was a chair with my name on it in an alcove about halfway to the room.

Above and beyond to me. $50 to him at the end of the cruise. He was not our steward.

What a nice story. I agree, that is exceptional.