Is Dining Really That Bad?

Raxter54

How exciting this being your first cruise. Just keep an open mind and a positive attitude and you will be fine. I have a feeling you will have a fabulous time and really enjoy the MDR food. Your problem may be that with so many choices to choose from on the menu that you can't decide on what to order. That's always my problem. LOL

Everything will be fine. You won't go hungry.

The following applies to all mass market cruise lines.

MDR food is generally good and, unlike a restaurant, if you don't like something, you can order something else.

No surprise here, but buffets serve buffet food. Don't just grab a plate and get in line. The first thing that I do in any buffet is to look at the entire buffet to decide what to try. At breakfast, get the made to order omelets and eggs. Fruits, salad, and breads are always safe choices. All ship buffet cakes generally look far better than they taste. Save the calories.

I began to feel I made a mistake booking our cruise (we went on the last week of August) after reading some of the reviews here.

We found the food fabulous. There were few items that weren't great, but most of the food was awesome - as was the service. :D

If it was so bad, no one would be on these boards because no one would be cruising. :cool:

Good Point Lizzie and Luke.

If it was so bad, no one would be on these boards because no one would be cruising.

I always figure that if I don't have to shop for the food, put it away, then cook it later and clean up after it's all said and done..... the food is gonna be just fine by me.

HAHA, You will love it.

I am a foodie, I love food, cooking, shopping etc. I enjoy it all and there are so meals that I didn't love, but most of the time, I am very content eating in the MDR. The windjammer is what you make of it.

I enjoy having a HUGE salad for lunch, and they always have a wonderful selection of stuff for that. Also the sandwich section is always stacked pretty well. So really, if your going in there looking for gourmet foods for lunch, you may feel a little disappointed. But if you want the usual lunch stuff you will be happy. Salads, Sandwiches, Burgers and Hot Dogs, alllllll there and alllllll delish!

Cruise food is not 5-Star, however, you are not paying 5-Star prices for it either. You are not going to get 5-Star food, plus your lodging and entertainment anywhere for $100 per day - except on a cruise.

If you look for the best of a situation.. you will probably find it, and visa versa.

Plus, you didn't have to cook it or wash the dishes when you are through.

Enjoy your cruise.. QTPie :cool:

I just returned from a 14 day Transatlantic cruise. My DH and I had a conversation about 3/4 of the way through the cruise that we thought the food was better at the beginning of the cruise.

As we thought about it we decided the food was likely the same--but, that we were getting tired of eating in this setting and ordering things that we eat , but are not our favorites. At home we cook what we like. :D

So we went to the Windjammer for 2 nights to change it up. They had make your own stir fry that was very good.

You will find plenty you like to eat. The scales at my home said I found too much I liked to eat on this cruise. :eek:

I have never understood the many negative comments about RCI dining. We've been cruising for 20 years and have always enjoyed the dining experience. My attitude is that I'm not shopping, cooking, or cleaning up. That automatically elevates the entire experience, IMHO. As others have said, this is a subjective topic, and it's all about expectations. RCI is a mass-market cruise line, and I think they do a very good job in providing enough options and venues to suit just about everyone. The wait staff will go out of their way to please you.

As far as Serenade is concerned, we sailed on her earlier this year and enjoyed every meal we had in the MDR, the Windjammer, Chop's, and Park Cafe. It is a gorgeous ship with an outstanding crew/staff. I hope you have a great cruise.

After nearly 20 cruises, on several lines, over quite a few years, I can't say I've had anything that was inedible in a MDR. Occasionally not quite what I expected, and sometimes not to my taste, but never inedible. More often than not it's been very good to even exceptional. Also, there are many dishes that I love to get on cruises that are pretty hard to find in land restaurants. Chilled soups, duck dishes, and Escargot spring to mind. You'd be hard-pressed to get the type of variety on the menu at any single land restaurant.

The buffet, to me, is sometimes a bit more hit or miss. Well, it IS a buffet, with food sitting in a steam-tray for, potentially, quite some time. If I chose that dried-out looking piece of meat, whose fault is it, really? Actually most of the time the food is refilled and refreshed pretty often, so it's fine; I just don't prefer buffets.

MDR,

Remember they are making ahead most the meals, so remember when choosing your meals.

Steaks are not made to order, they been pre cooked and Kept warm. You will never get a MRare steak. They will most likely be tough and med to med done.

Fish is normally pretty good.

Lamb and pork as well.

Im not a pasta eater so I cant say on these dishes.

I have no complaints on any salad, appetizer or soup that I have ordered.

of course I have had some better than others.

there are many nights I will not see a dessert worth eating, sad but true.

cakes are spongy and flavorless, I am not a ice cream fanatic, Pies , cream pies and soufflé are your best bet,

or just save the calories.

They will give you something different if it is not good.

Formal night food tends to be better on those nights.

If you want steak pay to go to Chops, if you want good Italian go to Giovonies.

I have not had a poor meal at either of the paid venues. You do get what you pay for here.

I never eat Dinner in the Windjammer, not sure why anyone would want too other than not wanting to get dressed up or speed as MDR is a 4 course and takes time.

I do go to Windjammer for breakfast, love the made to order omelets

and I go for lunch at Sea days for a quick lunch while we are out by the pool.

Pizza is eatable thats about it, It is a cafeteria Hamburger and hot dog.

The cut roast or turkey is pretty good, and Salad choice is good.

So bottom line you will never be hungry, Go with a good attitude, know going in that it is not 5 star in MDR, a buffet is a buffet.

If you want a upgraded menu then go eat at the paid venues. Or chose a 5star line you will pay more for the trip too. :D

Edited by phnett

The food on a cruise is still great, IMHO. There a few things that have slipped like the lobster in MDR used to be good, on my last cruise not so much. But everything else I had was really good, and I've never been much a lobster guy.

Windjammer is basically Golden Corral quality and has been since my first cruise in 2006. Main dining has taken some of the higher end options off the menu, but the quality is just as good. Not sure where you get cookies on Serenade, but usually the Cafe Promenade has good cookies and decent Pizza. Park Cafe on Oasis (and some others) has great 'fast' food.

I am normally a picky eater, no sauce, no butter, nothing fancy, give me meat and potatoes. But I become very adventurous on ships and really enjoy it, I order 2 entrees every night and never have to order off the everyday menu. The nice thing about being adventurous on a cruise is if you don't like it you can just get something else.

I do have an issue with deserts on RCL, they seem to think you can't have chocolate without coffee, so I usually just order ice cream each night. But this is just a personal preference, I know some people love coffee in their chocolate. But with desert in windjammer for lunch, deck ice cream, promenade cookies and ice cream in MDR, I really don't need any other deserts :eek:.

I feel the same way about the desserts with alcohol. As someone who can't tolerate alcohol or caffeine, it can be limiting. And there's been more than one time were the description didn't include the booze, but it was clearly there. I can see that being a major issue for someone recovering. I put it on a comment card, I hope someone reviews the menus.

I've always wondered, if the food is so bad, why do so many posters on this board keep cruising?

The food, for the most part, in the MDR is pretty good, some dishes are better than others but I've never ordered anything that was inedible. Food in the WJ is as good as any chain buffet restaurant in the US. The only problem with the WJ is not a lot of day to day variety, so if you have a longer cruise, it does get kind of monotonous. On the other hand, I eat basically the same thing at home for breakfast everyday so why am I complaining?:D

Have a fun cruise and stop reading reviews!:D

Sherri:)

I think food on ships depends on what you are used to at home. I live in Austin, TX and Austin is known for having loads of really nice affordable local restaurants. We have a Top Chef winner here, countless visits by Guy F., Rachel R., you name it. We are SPOILED. You can eat off of a food truck here and get more gourmet food than most other places in the U.S. These restaurants are typically cheaper than dining at places like Olive Garden, etc...

With that said when I go visit my folks they live in a small town where Chili's and Applebee's are their eating out restaurant choices. When I eat there I know that I won't get a meal like I would at Chuy's or Jack Allen's Kitchen because the food at those places is cooked fresh and never frozen. Plus Jack Allen's uses farm to market produce and farm raised meats. It makes a HUGE difference. But when I am with my parents I enjoy the company and know I'll get food that is just OK but that is fine with me.

I find the cruise food the same way. It is about on par with Chili's or Applebee's in my mind. The service is WAY better and they plate it better but the quality of the food is about the same. If you go into the cruise with that expectation you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Now I haven't been on RCCL but have one booked for next year on NOS. I have been on 2 Disney cruises and that is how I felt about the food.

Dining is part of the fun of cruising. My wife and I often share a third entree simply to see what it is. The waiter will often offer an entree that has not been ordered by our table as a sampler entree.

The Windjammer is a great place to hang out early in the morning the coffee and pastries are always good. We prefer breakfast and lunch in the main dining room. The service is always great and it offers a chance to meet people.

The specialty dining rooms are worth the splurge. But not every night as the food is too good. We tend to over indulge and need several day in between.

The Mystery Dinner is another way to enjoy food on a cruise. The cocktails and wine along with the food and festivities are great.

That said, cruising is what you make of it. Like life, there is always a unhappy person grumbling about something trivial, while many other folks are happy as clams.

Have we had MDR food that wasn't good? Sure, but I've also had a horrible dish at one of our local really famous restaurants. But more often than not, we have good dining experiences. Way more often.

We are some of the oddballs that think the food has gotten better than our first trip in 2001. Some of the food is quite well prepared, too- we are always amazed how well cooked the asparagus is.

Also, relative to many other things, the food is really good. We've been to plenty of banquet events- big clubs events, weddings, retirement parties, etc- from 100-600 people. Ever single one of those events have been inferior to the MDR, to us. When you consider that the smallest ship serves ~1200 people twice a night, ever single day, it's pretty amazing.

If you are looking for things to dislike, I'm sure you will find them. But I would suggest not to... it's a lot of money to spend trying to find reasons not to have a good time.

So true. I am sure business people can look back over the last 30 years and remember some 'big events' that had 'less than good food' for at times, close to $500 a plate....but they would say nothing about the event.

I use the rule, if I am unhappy with something I order....I order something else. Maybe it was just ME, that wasn't enjoying it....the waiter will gladly bring me something else in the MDR.

The dining experience will be wonderful, if you go with that frame of mind!

I'm just hoping that the food on the Serenade is *better* than Golden Corral. :o

I'm sure DW and I will enjoy our meals, and we plan on being somewhat adventurous. Just need to take some of these negative food reviews with a grain of salt....

If you read somewhere else on cc that the food was bad and you don't believe it then why would you believe anything said here?

You should go on your cruise, do and eat what you want, and make up your own mind, you will be amazed:)

Have never gone hungry or lost weight on a cruise yet!! I don't have to plan it, cook it, serve it, clean it up -- Love it!! Imagine, someone else cuts up all the fruits and vegetables!!

Agreed!

And part of the enjoyment is meeting new people. The food should not make or break your trip. Just take a few tips of what you like to eat to what others are saying is better choice and enjoy your trip!

If we did not love to cruise we would not be Diamond working our way to Diamond +

Edited by phnett

I began to feel I made a mistake booking our cruise (we went on the last week of August) after reading some of the reviews here.

We found the food fabulous. There were few items that weren't great, but most of the food was awesome - as was the service. :D

If it was so bad, no one would be on these boards because no one would be cruising. :cool:

Totally agree with the above.

After about 170 nights on cruise ships over the last 13 years we have never really found anything that could be termed terrible. There may have been a few items not to our taste or prepared differently from what we are used to but not terrible.

We think that the buffet is better than Golden Coral in not only quality, variety and cleanliness, but also in the entire experience.

Sure there are hit and miss nights on occasion but for the most part, even though a few aspects of dining on board may have slipped a little over the years it is still much better than most casual restaurants and even on occasion equal to or better than some finer dining places you will find on land.

OMO

bosco

If you see a variety of choices you like, order them all! Try them all. No limit. I may have had one or two dishes I didn't care for the taste, but quality and presentation has always been good.

Breakfast in MDR if you have the time and are so inclined is great too. It is nice to order off a menu and then have a mini-buffet with cereals, fruits, etc. Sure beats crowding through the windjammer for breakfast in my book.

I am a meat and potato person only. Forget any fancy fish dishes and dishes I have no idea what they are. My husband eats everything. We go down to the dining room at night. I only order steak. I really get tired of steak so I asked for a hamburger and a simple salad. Guess what? it isn't on the menu but they went and got me what I wanted. And my husband had his lobster that night.

More people who are upset with anything will put it on the internet. Those that are happy never report it.

Been on 4 cruises and we didn't starve that is for sure. You will have fun and

find enough favorite places to write about when you come back.

Notice it is always the same old people that complain about everything through out their entire life. They are just not happy people.