We'll see where goes HAL

Tugy

I traveled HAL last month, the ms Rotterdam 2nd - 16th August - Midnight Sun, from Rotterdam city to North Cape.

HAL has complied with its standards but i came up with fear. I hope HAL does not vulgarize formal nights environments.

I did not like 4 things:

- Failure to comply with the Dress Code by some guests.

- The inability to open the Lido Self Service in hours to facilitate the shore excursions.

- A carpet dryer working when two shows taking place in the theater. A passenger, on the third day, seeing the unconsciousness, ripped the electricity cable.

- The captain not replying letters. In case, it was not a minor issue.

Image link

Edited by Tugy
image not publish.

I`m a journalist in a cruise magazine, and i make sure i am not recognized by the job i have (aboard ship) to assess the truth and not the theatrical amenities. I want real service to the passenger.

I placed these items because I believe that to change something in HAL might be better to describe it in Cruise Critic and not directly to company (or outsourcings). More than free critical, I want change. We have bad changes in HAL.

Dress Code:

It is not acceptable for those who respect the Dress Code in a gala evening to see guests with hawaiian slippers, sports pants at the knee, caribbean shirts and military camouflage with its war cap. Neither in Free Style. The objective is not to be a different night? If the company does not want to harass half dozen, maybe will not see the majority on board and they flock to Cunard.

Theater case:

It's simple, they not turn off a noisy machine that dries carpets during the shows.

I don't make any "waves" because after the Lido Self Service episode i'll still be the worst passenger ship with two eyes in his face. The Cruise Director (fantastic professional) looked at the situation but did nothing. On a third night a passenger, too tired, pulled the electrical cord, very angry. I felt finally be a normal guy.

Lido Case:

A shore excursion which has a meeting point at 12:10 did not deserve an open Lido for lunch at 11:30 at least? I heard a reproach when i`m seeking some sandwiches. The Lido Manager Eddie said he should ask for the services to bring to the cabin. Well, I wanted to ease the ship, that were scheduled 11 tour buses, this gives ... more or less 858 people. The Lido streamlines the organization because people control their hours, dinning room has its time and ritual, is there always early for lunch in cabins? The ship really wants 858 people asking to lunch in the cabin? The Lido, at lunchtime, can promote more shore excursions sales but the Lido Manager Eddie does not understand it.

Krazy Kruisers, the fourth case i can tell you in private. Sorry others readers.

40372584_DressCodeadvise.jpg.ef1af3e9c1031b13d70c709df980dd4e.jpg

Edited by Tugy

It is generally a given that those who go out on an excursion will not be eating lunch on the ship. Many excursions will provide an opportunity to eat lunch away from the ship. Your situation was peculiar only because of the relatively late departure time.

Eat a large breakfast before an excursion!

igraf

Lido Case:

A shore excursion which has a meeting point at 12:10 did not deserve an open Lido for lunch at 11:30 at least? I heard a reproach when i`m seeking some sandwiches. The Lido Manager Eddie said he should ask for the services to bring to the cabin. Well, I wanted to ease the ship, that were scheduled 11 tour buses, this gives ... more or less 858 people. The Lido streamlines the organization because people control their hours, dinning room has its time and ritual, is there always early for lunch in cabins? The ship really wants 858 people asking to lunch in the cabin? The Lido, at lunchtime, can promote more shore excursions sales but the Lido Manager Eddie does not understand it.

Krazy Kruisers, the fourth case i can tell you in private. Sorry others readers.

Calls where the ship departs late, normaly we have excursions in the afternoon. In some destinations, the shore excursion in the morning offers risks, they have morning fog and we not seeing the landscape. If the ship knows this and sells tours, must adapt in singular destinations, where guests have no alternative. I was not the only one to observe the situation. I remind you it was the cruise to North Cape. Thank you for your reply igraf.

Thank you for coming back and giving some explanations.

We have to forgo excursions that start around Noon because of DH's medications. Eating a late breakfast for him means that he misses his morning pills (quite a few of them). We have to keep him on schedule so that he won't have any problems.

We used to do land tours and cruises in the Med and Baltic, etc. but because of health issues we are now restricted to the Caribbean. Many of the tours that start around Noon in the Caribbean do not provide lunches nor an opportunity to quickly grab something somewhere.

I agree with Tugy that the LIdo hours are often an issue. Then we try for hamburgers and something form the Mexican bar. When trying to make a schedule as for a shore excursion I find room service awkward as one never knows when exactly they'll bring it.

I think Tugy's examples show the "stove pipe" problem of HAL in which one arm of management isn't communicating with the other arms; it's often not integrated for the benefit of the passenger. I agree there's room for improvement. But that's everywhere, every line I've been on and I'm not paying super high luxury prices, maybe there they have it all.

But I stay with my mantra, "It's hard to have a bad day on a cruise ship!" m--

Hi Tugy,

Welcome to CC. Happy you found us.

I agree that Lido hours need to be more flexible. When they have 11 bus loads of guests boarding at approximately noon time, someone should have made the executive decision to have Lido serving those guests. You should not have been told to call Room Service when they fully know Room Service cannot accommodate lunch for 858 guests at the same time.

Hmmm...Have been on 8 HAL cruises right at 200 days on board. The Lido has opened for lunch at 11 or 11:30 every day we have been there.

As mentioned, the dress code is a suggestion. HAL, or anybody else, can't FORCE people to dress in formal attire on those nights. Sorry. (Note: we like the formal dress code).

Edited by CruiserBruce

I agree with Tugy that the LIdo hours are often an issue. Then we try for hamburgers and something form the Mexican bar. When trying to make a schedule as for a shore excursion I find room service awkward as one never knows when exactly they'll bring it.

I think Tugy's examples show the "stove pipe" problem of HAL in which one arm of management isn't communicating with the other arms; it's often not integrated for the benefit of the passenger. I agree there's room for improvement. But that's everywhere, every line I've been on and I'm not paying super high luxury prices, maybe there they have it all.

But I stay with my mantra, "It's hard to have a bad day on a cruise ship!" m--

I agree. We had a shore excursion on our last cruise that left around noon. We ran to the Dive In and got a quick burger. (lunch was not going to be available on our excursion). We would have preferred the Lido, but we made do. :)

Did you look on both sides of the Lido? In my experience, one side opens for breakfast and lunch earlier than the other as well as one closing earlier than the other. Maybe I have always been lucky or things have changed since late 2013, but I know I have had lunch on the Lido before noon.

Hmmm...Have been on 8 HAL cruises right at 200 days on board. The Lido has opened for lunch at 11 or 11:30 every day we have been there.

As mentioned, the dress code is a suggestion. HAL, or anybody else, can't FORCE people to dress in formal attire on those nights. Sorry. (Note: we like the formal dress code).

I've never seen the lido open at 11am on any of my cruises. It's always been at 11:30.

I've never seen the lido open at 11am on any of my cruises. It's always been at 11:30.

We've seen the Lido opening at 11 am a few times, when the arrival at a port was between 11 am and noon. A mad house, of course, with everyone wanting lunch fast so they can head ashore as soon as possible!

We've seen the Lido opening at 11 am a few times, when the arrival at a port was between 11 am and noon. A mad house, of course, with everyone wanting lunch fast so they can head ashore as soon as possible!

I don't think I've ever had a port arrival at that time. It's either morning or afternoon so I guess that would explain it.

<snip snip>

Dress Code:

It is not acceptable for those who respect the Dress Code in a gala evening to see guests with hawaiian slippers, sports pants at the knee, caribbean shirts and military camouflage with its war cap. Neither in Free Style. The objective is not to be a different night? If the company does not want to harass half dozen, maybe will not see the majority on board and they flock to Cunard.

Lido Case:

Dress: We go dressed for formal night and I don't "usually" let the dress of others bother me. That said, what you have described might get under my skin ... at least somewhat.

Lido: Are you saying the Lido was NOT open at 11:00am for either the Deli or Bistro side? That's just not right IMHO!

Thanks for your post.

Did you look on both sides of the Lido? In my experience, one side opens for breakfast and lunch earlier than the other as well as one closing earlier than the other. Maybe I have always been lucky or things have changed since late 2013, but I know I have had lunch on the Lido before noon.

I just checked our last two cruises. The Lido was open 11 to 2 for Bistro and 11 to 5 for Deli.

on our last couple of Disney cruises,the Lunch buffet was kept open a little longer than normal to accomodate all the late arriving tours,a really nice gesture on their part.

And I agree thats it a good idea to check your tour times and the dining room times.You get copies of it every day so that you can plan accordingly.

Tugy - Love your graphic. The dress issue was exactly why I disliked NCL and it's freestyle cruising. Shorts and tee shirts in the MDR every night. Might as well have stayed in an all-inclusive in Cancun.

Why not order room service and stick a Turkey Club in your backpack before heading out? We stashed sliced meats, cheese and rolls in a baggie at breakfast and enjoyed them along the way, since we knew our excursion wouldn't get us back in time for lunch. Probably not completely honest, but hey, they planned the shore trips around being out during meals.

Sent from my H55H-3.8L using Tapatalk

Tugy - Love your graphic. The dress issue was exactly why I disliked NCL and it's freestyle cruising. Shorts and tee shirts in the MDR every night. Might as well have stayed in an all-inclusive in Cancun.

Why not order room service and stick a Turkey Club in your backpack before heading out? We stashed sliced meats, cheese and rolls in a baggie at breakfast and enjoyed them along the way, since we knew our excursion wouldn't get us back in time for lunch. Probably not completely honest, but hey, they planned the shore trips around being out during meals.

Sent from my H55H-3.8L using Tapatalk

And in many places not legal.

This is not good advice. Many places do not allow food to be taken ashore from the ship. Don't plan on "brown bagging" without checking the local laws.

I agree that the Lido hours could be longer, especially when port and tour times make it difficult to get a meal. Our solution is to have a big breakfast, but I understand that this doesn't work for everyone.