10-day Med Cruise Rome to Rome - Pre Cruise Stay Questions

blueboro

We are a party of 7 couples who have booked the Reflection for an October 2015 Med sailing out of Rome roundtrip. We have cruised many times but never in Europe/Med. My question is regarding a pre-cruise stay in Rome. Has anyone used the Celebrity pre cruise packages/transfers and, if so, how was the experience? We are looking at a 3-day package and wondering if, in your experience, it is better to book it all through X or do it ourselves independently. Thanks for any help/advice you can offer.

We are a party of 7 couples who have booked the Reflection for an October 2015 Med sailing out of Rome roundtrip. We have cruised many times but never in Europe/Med. My question is regarding a pre-cruise stay in Rome. Has anyone used the Celebrity pre cruise packages/transfers and, if so, how was the experience? We are looking at a 3-day package and wondering if, in your experience, it is better to book it all through X or do it ourselves independently. Thanks for any help/advice you can offer.

Hi Blueboro,

We were on the Reflection last year, 11nt, in October from Rome back to Rome. I've been to Rome several times and have stayed about 3 weeks in Rome. I'm not sure what packages are offered by Celebrity so I cannot comment on those, but I will give you my personal recommendations of what we did when we visited and when we cruised out of Rome.

For transportation when we were cruising, we booked RomeCabs. It was roughly 50euro from FCO to our hotel which was near the city center (near Termini). When we headed to the port we also used RomeCabs and the cost was around 130euro to get to the port.

We stayed at the Boscolo Exedra which is in Piazza della Republica (not far from Termini Station). Great hotel, excellent service. It is a 5 Star by Italian standards...I'd compare it to a very nice 4 Star in the states.

RomeCabs also does private tours and group tours that you can join. These might be a bit pricier than Celebrity. In all my trips to Rome I never booked a private tour through RomeCabs but their reviews on TripAdvisor are EXCELLENT.

If you want to be a bit more budget conscience, then there are some buses that go from the airport to several areas of Rome (Termini Station, Old City Center, etc) for roughly 9 to 10euor per person. They typically leave every 30 to 45 minutes. You can also take the train from Termini Station to the port, but with a lot of luggage it can be a little bit of a hassle. We figured we didn't want to worry about anything when we were traveling on this cruise so we booked a private car. However, every time I've taken the train in Italy I have always been impressed at how on-time and clean they were.

In the past, when we were just doing land based travel in Italy we stayed at the YES hotel which is near termini station. We got a great deal and it was a newer hotel. No frills or anything, but very modern and clean and close to Termini which can get you anywhere in the city.

My last comment will be this: Rome is such an interesting city to walk. It is difficult to walk as the streets are old, bumpy and some are up hill and down hill, but I believe it is very much worth it. We walked EVERYWHERE we could and saw so many interesting things getting to our destination.

If you have any specific questions about tourist sites, restaurants, train lines, etc. in Rome just ask! It is my favorite city to travel to and I would be happy to help!

For ease of coordination it might be the least complicated plan to book the Celebrity pre-cruise experience.

However, you have 13 months before your trip which gives you plenty of time to explore other options. The ports-of-Call forum can help with planning if you go on your own...hotels, private transfers from Rome to Civitavecchia, must-see sights. It will likely be more cost-effective to DIY, but the hassles may outweigh the money savings.

Will all 14 of you want to do everything altogether? One of the most difficult parts of traveling with groups of friends/family is choosing a restaurant that pleases all and can accommodate all.

I will reiterate booking your own hotel, tours...you have plenty of time to plan. Depending on your budget the Albergo Del Senato with wonderful views of the Pantheon from some of their rooms is a wonderful small hotel, easy access to all of Ancient Rome. We booked our walking tours with Rome In Limo...which began within an hour of our arrival and while we were tired at the end of day(all night flight from the US) it was a wonderful introduction to a magnificent city....enjoy the planning it IS half the fun!!!:)

The cruise line pre-cruise packages take all the work out of planning things but you'll pay dearly for that. They have a reputation of being quite a bit more expensive. Do it independently if you're willing to do a little planning to save money. You already have some great hotel and car service recommendations above that will not only save you money but be in a better location, and provide better service, than the cruise line would. There are lots more recommendations and reviews on the port of call forums here on Cruise Critic.

I will second what LSimon said about doing your own booking and saving money. We did it a few years in Rome and it was a great time. We also used Rome Cabs and were very very happy with their service. The price per person goes down as the number of people goes up and if you are traveling with a big group, you should do well with the pricing. We used our roll call to put together groups for travel from central Rome to the ship and then from the ship to the airport. It was nice to save some $$$ that way too. Rome Cabs staff was most helpful with making our groups work out, they even made two different pick ups on the trip from Rome to the ship without any extra charge.

1) Waaaayyy better to book on your own

2) go to the Italy boards for lots of great info

3) PLEASE consider staying in the Centro Storico, the historic center of Rome. All of the major sites will be easily walkable and the area is much more charming than any other area I know of. Many people recommend staying near Termini, the train station, but honestly there is no benefit unless it's just a quick overnight stay. The ambiance, restaurants, and sites are so much nicer if you stay close to the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Campo di Fiore neighborhoods. If you go to venere dot com you can select hotels by area and see what's available.

4) go to the Italy boards!!!

Why not have a travel agent do all of the leg work?

You can check booking the same hotels that any cruise line uses and it will almost always be significantly higher.

Use Trip Advisor too.

There are several tour companies on the Ports of Call boards that will provide one stop shopping - FCO to hotel, sightseeing and transfer to ship. If you have other stops in Italy they might have guides and drivers there too. We used one company in Livorno (Florence), Civitavecchia (Rome) and Naples. The more days we booked the lower the overall rate dropped.

It's challenging working with a group your size but Rome is so worth it.

Thanks for the great information. Usually book everything myself but a little intimidated with no prior experience in Rome.

I was intimidated too...had never travelled outside the USA....it wound up being the BEST trip ever and we did all the planning, never booked a single excursion through X. You have lots of time to become familiar and YES ....DO go to the Italy boards...so much info there... have fun planning!!:)

Rome is really not as intimidating as it sounds. We were there pre cruise in May, and the info we got here on Cruise Critic was invaluable. First, pick your hotel --- lots of good suggestions mere, we chose the Albergo Cesari which was reasonably priced, right in the center of the tourist area near the Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain. It has a lovely roof bar for evenings and breakfast is served there also, and the staff made some wonderful dinner recommendations close by, so we didn't have to worry about that. Then, set up private transfers. We also used Rome Cabs for all our transfers, and they were wonderful, I can't recommend them highly enough. By doing it yourself, you will save money, get to choose your hotel, and have an easy ride in a private car instead of waiting for a bus to fill up, luggage to be loaded, etc. Buy a good guide book to plot your sightseeing, we like Rick Steves and his many books and videos on Rome, and you're set to go. The Celebrity package will cost you more, limit your choice of hotels and complicate your transfers --- easy and better to do it on your own.

We are avid 'do it yourselfers' and Rome is an easy city to tour independently. Remember that hotel prices are quoted per room, and Celebrity's pre cruise packages are quoted per person. That makes a big difference.

With a group of fourteen private transportation to and from the port will probably be quite economical, although we have used the train several times without any problems.

We found Rick Steves' 'Mediterranean Cruise Ports' to be an excellent reference book, and he also has walking tours and tours of the Colliseum and other places of interest on his web site. We enjoy walking around different cities to absorb the atmosphere and Rome is a walker's dream because there is something interesting around every corner.

Sheila

We've never found the cruise line hotel packages in Rome to be even close to reasonable value...

And here's my hotel pick...We've stayed here on our last two visits:

http://www.residenzafarneseroma.it/

Very nice little four star hotel...reasonably priced...

Location cannot be beaten: Across the street from the French Embassy, a half a block off the Tiber River, a block from the Campo di Fiore and about three blocks easy walk from the Piazza Navona...but on a very quiet street...

The Campo di Fiore has lots of nice, reasonably priced restaurants with outdoor seating on the Piazza...and is really a nice little square with an open air market during the day. The Piazza Navona is, of course, the center of nightlife in Rome and one of Rome's great tourist attractions...It is an easy walk to the Pantheon and most of the other attractions of Ancient Rome...

Good luck...

A word of caution about taking the train. The tracks in Civitavecchia would most likely be only accessible via an underground passage. That means that you would have to get off the train, carry your luggage down a flight of stairs, through a tunnel and back up the stairs on the other side. It is now almost a mile walk to the port shuttle entrance. There May or may not be a shuttle bus to take you there, at which point you have to get off one shuttle and then onto the port shuttle, and cabs are very scarce. So unless all of you are hale and hearty enough to manage your luggage, I think the train is not a very good idea. Plus because you have so many it would be very economical to rent (probably two) shuttles to take you from your hotel directly to the ship.

With 14 people you can probably make some plans that will save you a significant amount of money and simplify getting around. However, with that many people, you should also get your reservations in early.

Contact Rome in Limo and/or Rome Cabs to arrange for two vans to pick you up at the airport - large buses cannot go into Central Rome. Just tell them your needs and see which company can meet them. Their pricing tends to be about the same and they are both extremely reliable.

We have taken the train to Termini twice and walked to our hotels. Yes, we saved money but if you anyone with any mobility challenges or someone who likes to overpack, it gets a lot more complicated. You have to lift your suitcases up several steps to get them on and off the train then walk over uneven streets to get to your hotel. Last time we decided it was worth it to pay for Rome in Limo to be waiting for us at the airport - and it was just two of us.

We have stayed at the Hotel Sonya twice, along with lots of other Cruise Critic members. Look on their website for the "Rick Steves Rate". It is a small hotel so with that size group, you should book early.

And, again, have either Rome in Limo or Rome Cabs pick you up and take all of you to the port. If you make more than one reservation with them, they may offer a discount.

By combining forces with the whole group, you will save massive amounts over the cruise line per person charges. Plus, you can stay at a hotel of your choice and travel at the times of your choosing.

We always stop in an apartment as we get fed up of restaurant eating.

We went to the port on the train and then got a taxi. We like looking out of the window and it was interesting. Better than couped up in a vehicule on the motorway.

Morbihan is our favorite area in France. Have stayed in a gite a few times.

Nice to know that the Albergo Cesari is a good choice for a hotel. We are staying there for 3 nights in May and picked it because of comments like yours on cruise critic.

P.S. Loved your picture of the Airedale. We currently have our fifth Airedale. Great dogs!

I think you'll love the Cesari, it's an easy walk to about everything you'll want to see and has a lot of Old World ambiance. Don't hesitate to ask the front desk for dinner recommendations, they steered is to 2 of the best meals we have ever had, each just a block or two away but a little out of the tourist area. Have a drink on the roof, before or after dinner ---- fantastic!

Thanks for your kind comment on my avatar. We had 3 Airedales in a row before our last one passed in January. Now our family includes a little 3 yr old Mini Schnauzer whom we adopted last spring after his owner died, but we may still add an Airedale or Welsh Terrier at some point. You're right, they ARE great dogs!

Several years ago we booked through Celebrity and stayed at the Empire Palce. It is a nice hotel but is a bit of a walk to most sites. That was not a problem during the day but we were not as comfortable at night so took a cab one night from Plaza Navonna. There were several excellent retaurants close to the hotel. The biggest advantage was the transfer from the hotel to the ship. It is more costly than booking yourself.

We are doing another cruise this summer from Rome to Rome so that we can take our grandson. This time we will book our own hotel and transportation to the ship. We will again use Rome Cabs from the airport to the hotel.

Enjoy.

Sorry to hear that the Airedale is gone. This will be our last Airedale as at our age they are just to big. He is three years old and as the first four all died at 10 we hope we have him for 7+ more years. Our other dog is a sheltie mix that we rescued and she is a doll. Like you we would consider a Welsh Terrier but they are so hard to find. Will probably go with another rescue dog when the time comes. The first four Airedales are still with us as my sister is an artist and make some beautiful urns that we have their ashes in.

Do you remember the names of the two restaurants in Rome the hotel sent you to? We will dine there also. Or maybe directions from the front door.

Thanks for your help.

I think you will find if you book on your own it will be much less expensive-

Just to clarify why this often is... typically when you book the hotel through the cruise you are charged a per person rate, not a per room rate. That can make it very expensive for a couple, because essentially you are paying double for the room! We did a cruise out of Panama on Royal a few years back and looked at booking the hotel through them, but found we could book the same exact hotel ourselves for about half of the cost that Royal would have charged. Hotels in Rome won't be cheap, and I certainly wouldn't want to pay double.

Do you remember the names of the two restaurants in Rome the hotel sent you to? We will dine there also. Or maybe directions from the front door.

Thanks for your help.

I'm sorry to say I don't remember the restaurant's names, we were traveling with another couple and we paid cash so they wouldn't be on my credit card statements. However, you will have no trouble asking at the front desk. That was one of the benefits of that hotel we saw over and over in the Trip Advisor reviews, and I absolutely agree.

Re: Welsh Terriers, there is an excellent breeder outside of Atlanta, and one here near us in Massachusetts. I don't think either will ship a puppy, but they will meet a buyer at the airport if they fly up to pick up their puppy. We were going that route before our little Schnauzer appeared unexpectedly, and needed a home as much as we needed a dog.