Would you sail one of the original Royal Caribbean ship if it was in the fleet today?

Would you want to sail on any of the original Royal ships today?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want to sail on any of the original Royal ships today?

• Yes - I'd like to try a small ship and traditional cruising style
    • No - I prefer a larger ship with more dining and entertainment options.

I'd sail on Song of Norway just for the memories. We took our first cruise ever on her for our honeymoon 30 years ago. The next cruise we did was on Sovereign of the Seas and we were just astonished at the size of her and the four story centrum! How things have evolved!

For sure, if it were an RCI cruise.

Those older ships are no fun if the cruise line is not up to snuff. Queen of Bermuda (my first cruise and almost my last) was 614 feet and Bermuda Star Line was like cruising the bargain basement :)

I personally am intrigued by the ships of yesterday. I become attached to every thread that I see pertaining to the extinct lines and the old ships. Almost like a history lesson. I would be all in!! Balcony rooms would definitely make it so much better tho

Would anyone sail today on Song of Norway, Nordic Prince, or Sun Viking if they were still in service with Royal Caribbean today.

For frame of reference Song of Norway originally was 552 feet, 18,000 gross tons, and had a passenger capacity of 720! The ship was stretched to 638 feet, 23,000 gross tons, and had a passenger capacity of 1200. For comparison the smallest Royal ship currently is Legend of the Seas/Splendour of the Seas at 69,000 gross tons, 867 feet, and a capacity of nearly 2100 guests.

So, if these ships (with updated systems and decor) were still in the fleet would you want to sail on them? You'd trade off a lot of the entertainment and dining options in order to get a more traditional, intimate cruising experience. I have never sailed on a ship this small but do admit I'd love to give it a try with a first rate company.

199351.jpg

We have sailed all of the above, would I go on one today if they were here, ABSOLUTLY. The Sun Viking was our very first ship and even today it is my favorite. The last time we were on her was a trip from Singapore to Hong Kong, I believe it was call Rubies of Asia.

I have been trying to find period correct 70's - 90's photos of the ships facilities / interiors. I'm certain there are plenty of slide reels and 8mm video tape of these ships stashed away in a forgotten box or attic.

First cruise with Royal was Song of Norway. After a very disappointing Carnival cruise a different TA convinced to try cruising again. I was so glad she did. I loved the Song Of Norway, even climbing those stairs trying to keep your dress down and drink in hand:D.

Sailed on the Nordic Prince after that and was awed all over again.

Yeah, now I love the Oasis, radiance-class, vision-class -- but would sail on either in a heatbeat!

My 1st cruise was on the Nordic Prince. I was in such awe of the beauty and service and food...... It was a wonderful cruise and the one that got me wanting to cruise again and again.

Thru my years of cruising I do prefer the Radiance class ships more than any other. It would be hard to go back to the original ships that are that small. Vision class is probably the smallest I'd do again.

So cool! I noticed it ws already the internet era with clickamericana.com at the bottom.

There was no public internet as we know it when Song of Norway first started sailing. The clickamericana.com site is just a site that has old photos.

Would anyone sail today on Song of Norway, Nordic Prince, or Sun Viking if they were still in service with Royal Caribbean today.

For frame of reference Song of Norway originally was 552 feet, 18,000 gross tons, and had a passenger capacity of 720! The ship was stretched to 638 feet, 23,000 gross tons, and had a passenger capacity of 1200. For comparison the smallest Royal ship currently is Legend of the Seas/Splendour of the Seas at 69,000 gross tons, 867 feet, and a capacity of nearly 2100 guests.

So, if these ships (with updated systems and decor) were still in the fleet would you want to sail on them? You'd trade off a lot of the entertainment and dining options in order to get a more traditional, intimate cruising experience. I have never sailed on a ship this small but do admit I'd love to give it a try with a first rate company.

199351.jpg

I can't think of anything worse - a DEFINITE no from me ! :)

No question-- cruise ships have changed dramatically in the past 30 years. The changes not only reflect newly-available technology. They're based very carefully on passengers' tastes and desires.

Consider: Would you want to go back and deal with the frequent plumbing problems of the past? And the tiny, leaky shower stalls? Remember when Royal Caribbean's main-lounge entertainment consisted of broken-down former Broadway singers with a dance troop of five kids? Instead of theatre seating, there were tiny nightclub-style tables, and you were bothered every few minutes by waiters hustling drinks.

On the other hand, the ships looked like ships...not floating refrigerators. The emphasis in cruising was on being at sea, and the views were lovely. The aft deck was a teak refuge, where you felt like you were sailing your private yacht. Dinner was a relaxing highlight of the day.

There are plusses and minuses to the way cruising has changed. When we want the intimate feel of the old days, we sail the "R" ships. still used by Oceania-- 685 passengers, wonderful food and genuinely attentive staff. Azamara has the same feel. The tradeoff is money. Dollar-for-dollar, today's ships and cruising experience provide the best vacation value in the travel industry.

199351.jpg

Yes I would, love to do that.

Nordic Prince will always be my favorite. On it 4 times as a teenager and have the best memories. Made friends on there and still am in contact and we also cruised for many years after with same families

Enjoyed our three cruises on Empress as much as on Oasis or Allure!

Rick and Deirdra

Same here! We enjoyed those early cruises on beautiful ships, filled with teak. Cruising was "a bit different" then. The ships were elegant, the staff was exceptional, food was terrific. Everyone followed the clothing rules ( and back then they were rules :) ) there was an elegant dining room and you sat at the same table for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I found some old cruise documents recently and had a full PASSENGER LIST complete will all the passenger names and home addresses. Can you imagine if that type of info was published today?

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

M