A Englishman's perspective of the Oasis

Not all Englishmen or woman feel the same, it's written in the "Daily Mail " after all. ..I'll say no more .. Lol

Exactly, the Daily Mail...... :rolleyes:

We love the big ships and went to Las Vegas five years in a row before our son was born, our dull journalist friend would probably self combust in Vegas :eek:

I'm English, I'd love to go on her!

And new??? Well, she's not an old lady, but she was launched in 2009, so not new either. Typical Daily Mail, only good for reading when you have 5 minutes at work whilst eating lunch. Light entertainment rather than serious news!

I wonder why this article has even been published? I can't see a reason for it to be so negative - the author hasn't stepped foot on the ship. Let alone it being published in a national newspaper. His cruise on the Corinthian apparently cost £10,000 (around $16,000) by the way, for comparison.

Just yesterday, the Daily Mail published a full page article on how amazing and groundbreaking Oasis is (they think it's a new ship, by the way) which featured some very prominent RCI advertising, I do hope RCI read this latest installment and demand a refund!

Oh and if you read the 'comments', be prepared, they're even more entertaining... Oh dear.

I found it an interesting ship to explore. it will never be my favorite. We spent 2 weeks on her a few years ago and still didn't get to see everything she has to offer. And now she is being refurbished with lots of changes.

Sometimes cruising is about the ship and not the voyage.

I agree with the writer. The largest Beehive of the seas I was on was a Voyager class and it was not cruising as I enjoy it.

And, yes, as a comment was made about Las Vegas in a previous post, I have been to Vegas and enjoyed it. But Vegas is a completely different vacation experience than a cruise ship.

My favorite part is that after listing the zip line, aquatheater, rock-climbing walls, ice-rink, mini-golf, and Rising Tide bar that he goes on to complain that "Oasis Of The Seas is just recreating everything we do back at home on a busy Saturday"

I'd love to have weekends like this guy.

I have to agree with the author, apart from some of his hyperbole. I prefer the relative intimacy of a 2200 passenger ship (that seems like such a contradiction!) to the floating amusement park/shopping mall concept that RCI has embraced with their new builds. DH enjoys the beasts, so we compromise with a nice cabin for me to hide out in.:)

And the Corinthian has been on my list of ships to try out some day. We saw her sailing into Kotor as we sailed out on Serenade this month, and she is a gorgeous, truly small, ship.

It is true that if you really want to feel like you are on the ocean the Oasis is not for you.

I would tend to agree. The author of the article clearly wants a certain type of cruise and clearly found it as a guest lecturer on the ship he was on. More power to him.

I personally might enjoy the ship he was on for a time, but I don't think I would enjoy that many days of that. Maybe a mix of both quiet relaxing time, and the great time we have had on the Oasis class ships.

I enjoyed reading the parts of the article about his journey. Unfortunately he disparages the Oasis since he doesn't agree with the concept. Sad for him, not that he disagrees, but that he can't accept there are other ideas about a vacation than one.

I think it's pretty bad form for a writer to do a slam review of a ship they've never even set foot on. Why not just do the review on your trip on the Corinthian? At least then there would have been some credibility.

The fact that this writer is making all kinds of assumptions without ever having the experience makes his integrity pretty suspect in my opinion. I'd put him right up with those writing articles for the National Inquirer or some other rag where they just make stuff up.

I love cruises on small ships and mega ships. We've been on the Oasis and it is huge and overwhelming and we kind of loved it for a change of pace. Our 20 something kids loved it a lot. There are different times when we feel like doing one or the other. Thankfully, we have all kinds of choices.

This guy has a point of view that he just conjured up without any experiential basis.

Tom

Bingo!!!

While I would like to try this class of ship, the question still begs of me; where is QE2 when you need her?

People jeered QE2 when it was first announced, said it was a poor replacement for QE and shouldn't carry the name.

First off, let's not be too hard on the guy. Imagine all the teasing he got growing up with a name like Harry Mount.

That said, writing a review on a ship you haven't experienced is just plain stupid. It would be like someone reviewing a play they've never seen.

Don't knock it till you try it, Harry! :D

I found Harry Mount's review terribly sad and misinformed. He is eschewing state of the art, luxury and convenience over some romantic notion that "old fashioned" ships are somehow better. Each has its own place. Each has good and bad points, but neither is superior. They are just different experiences. How lucky we are to be able to experience the entire gamut of sea travel depending upon our moods, finances and desires. How lost Harry Mount must be in the world as it is today to not understand this most fundamental thing about travel: there is a massive range of options and ALL of them are GOOD. We are so fortunate. We are living in the golden age and many don't even realize it.