Would you do it

rvmike

We were on the Regatta late Sept. and talked to another passenger that had a Suite. He said Oceania offered him a port hole cabin with a $5000 credit. They had cruised with Oceania 10 times. Who is that important that they would offer a downgrade to a good client?.

Edited by rvmike

The thing of it is that the definition of what keeps a good client "happy" seems to be constantly morphing and changing.

The VIP who scores a prized Suite late in the game will remember that Oceania did him a solid for many years; and the Passenger who gets the Five Thousand Dollar Rebate is sure to "dine out" on that anecdote for as long as he cares to tell the tale.

Many would say that this is a win win situation.....:cool:

I failed to mention that the couple that was offered the downgrade was annoyed. He was using a walker . I still think it was wrong to do that to a long time customer.

They do not have to accept the offer

Not sure what him using a walker has to do with it :confused:

Oceania have waitlists they will make offer to those in the cabin cat for which they have other waitlisted for ...you have the option of accepting the offer or not

If you do not someone else will ..eventually

We were on the Regatta late Sept. and talked to another passenger that had a Suite. He said Oceania offered him a port hole cabin with a $5000 credit. They had cruised with Oceania 10 times. Who is that important that they would offer a downgrade to a good client?.

I'm a little confused on the details. It would depend on which suite he had but on most cruises $5000 wouldn't even cover the difference between an upper suite and a Ocean View.

Perhaps if he had a PH suite on a shorter cruise.

I have seen some posts recently -- say in the past couple of months -- where long time passengers were absolutely thrilled to downgrade for a good sum of $$. I don't think *I* would, but they thought it was marvelous.

As Lyn said, the ship offers ... no one is compelled to accept the offer.

I myself would not accept a "downgrade", I don't care how much money I'd get back. But that's me. I want the extra room in the bigger suite.

A few times when we were offered an "upsell", we were delighted to accept. It depends on the offer.

No one should be insulted or upset at the offer they receive. They don't have to take it.

(We've rejected or ignored far more offers to move to another cruise or to add a cruise to our existing cruise than I can count. We still receive them! But we did take ONE that we couldn't resist. And there is always the possibility that we would take another.)

Mura

Depending on the circumstance, I might take the offer--but I certainly wouldn't be annoyed, as it's only an offer.

In fact, I noticed recently that our category was sold out and I called Oceania offering to downgrade for the right compensation. They didn't take my offer, but that's OK.

Not sure what him using a walker has to do with it :confused:

On Regatta, the smallest suites are somewhat over 400 square feet. An inside cabin has fewer than 200 square feet. Big difference.

When my mother used a walker, she used it both inside her residence and out in public. I'm guessing the person who received the offer needed the additional suite space to more easily maneuver with a walker.

I failed to mention that the couple that was offered the downgrade was annoyed. He was using a walker . I still think it was wrong to do that to a long time customer.

As others have pointed out, Oceania isn't doing anything to a long-time customer. The booking office is simply making an offer which the cruiser has every right to decline or simply ignore. The booking department isn't picking and choosing among suite cruisers to make the offer. It is simply working its way down the list of suite bookings until it finds a customer who is willing to take the deal.

And it's not just Oceania's central office. If the offer comes from a person's TA, the TA is legally obligated to make any and all offers until the cruiser directly states words to the effect, "Please stop passing along Oceania's offers. We have no interest in switching."

On Regatta, the smallest suites are somewhat over 400 square feet. An inside cabin has fewer than 200 square feet. Big difference.

Unless they requested a H/C cabin the booking dept has no idea if a person is using a walker or a cane etc...

We have no idea what suite the op is talking about it could be a PH or above

The offers go out to the Cabins they need

No one is forced to accept any offer

Lyn

We have no idea what suite the op is talking about it could be a PH or above

The discussion of PH square footage was an answer to the question why someone who used a walker might feel particularly annoyed by a downsell offer. Whether the square footage of a PH acceptably fits a walker or a VS/OS generously fits a walker, is less important than knowing that all three of them work in contrast to a standard cabin.

I'm a little confused on the details. It would depend on which suite he had but on most cruises $5000 wouldn't even cover the difference between an upper suite and a Ocean View.

Perhaps if he had a PH suite on a shorter cruise.

Agree with you; $5,000 is not very much. We were on a 20 day Scandinavian cruise this summer having booked a PH1. We started getting offers to downgrade that were, well, insulting to our intelligence (or at least our ability to add and subtract). About 3 weeks before the cruise we were offered a dollar under $11,000 to move down to an A1. That's a lot of dining out money!! So we grabbed the offer

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do I understand this correctly? Oceania does not pick and choose you personally to make an offer, they pick the cabin category you are in. If nobody in that category accepts, they will up the ante.

Correct

Jancruz1

LHT28 and others, All I did was relay what I was told. LHT28, would you want a port hole smaller cabin if you had to use a walker? ( don't think so). Some people need to go back to the old standard and not the ITS ABOUT ME ATTITUDE.

LHT28 and others, All I did was relay what I was told. LHT28, would you want a port hole smaller cabin if you had to use a walker? ( don't think so). Some people need to go back to the old standard and not the ITS ABOUT ME ATTITUDE.

Hello..it's not about you, me , or anyone. The point is that ANYONE offered an upgrade/downgrade has. CHOICE of choosing or NOT. you want it..You do not.

Your choice.....as they say.."your world your way.

I was asking how the revenue dept would know the person was using a walker when they send out the offers ??

So did the person take the offer??

Lyn

Lyn, I guess not. After all he was annoyed.

For $5000 they could annoy me all they want :D

In any case it is highly unlikely they would be offered a downgrade from an OS or VS to a D cabin for $5000