How would Pacific Princess to Alaska compare?

dcsam

We have yet to cruise with Oceania, but we'd like to. We've thoroughly enjoyed the small ship experiences with Renaissance and Azamara. However, reading these posts, sounds like Oceania tends to 'nickel and dime' quite a bit. I'm looking at Alaska cruises for this upcoming summer, and I see that the Pacific Princess has a great itinerary. Princess also 'nickel and dimes', but their prices are less to begin with. Just wondering how the two ships and experiences might compare. The ships are both the old 'R' vessels, so how different could these cruises be? Thoughts?

You might be advised to ask your travel agent to work with you to determine what is most important to you so you can choose between them. We have been on the Pacific's sister ship, the Ocean Princess as well as the Regatta and love the R-ships. In brief:

The R-ship hulls are the same.

The Itineraries are different. Princess has a license for Glacier Bay, Oceania does not. But the Pacific only visits the big 3 of Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. Oceania often visits Wrangell and Sitka. Pacific is sailing one-ways. Oceania has some round-trips.

Oceania may not be as inclusive as you would like, but Princess is even less so - specialty restaurants cost, as does soda.

Princess will be distinctly less expensive.

When we took the Regatta to Alaska it was clear that they were using the same shore excursions as Princess - not a differentiator.

We like the food on Princess just fine, but Oceania had a "wow" factor beyond Princess.

There are other differences that may matter to you, but don't to us.

We'd gladly take either, as we love the size and design of the R-ships. Again, ask your agent for help.

Although I feel Oceania is very expensive for things that are not included on board, and off the scale for shore trip's I do not think they nickel and dime. All drinks of any kind are included except those containing alcohol, and for those you can buy a package if you like. All the restaurants on board are included except LA Reserve. There is no ship photographer or mega ship store sales daily. You pay daily gratuities and for internet if you wish to use it. All the R ships in Oceania's fleet have just been refurbished, I have read they are in excellent shape.

And insofar as the Owners Suite is concerned, it is the same as Regatta. The liquor package that included everything was very inexpensive compared to Oceania and the crew were EXTRA friendly. The price was way down there compared to Oceania...so low that nothing is a problem as far as nickel and diming. I would go on Princess any time, depending on the itinerary. In this itinerary you would have the plus of Glacier Bay which is beautiful.

And insofar as the Owners Suite is concerned, it is the same as Regatta. The liquor package that included everything was very inexpensive compared to Oceania and the crew were EXTRA friendly. The price was way down there compared to Oceania...so low that nothing is a problem as far as nickel and diming. I would go on Princess any time, depending on the itinerary. In this itinerary you would have the plus of Glacier Bay which is beautiful.

You claim the OS is the same? Have the bathrooms been re-done to include a walk in shower? Do you get free bottles of wine or liquor and a butler on Princess????

Edited by orchestrapal

There is absolutely no comparison between the food on Princess and Oceania. For me, Oceania's wow factor starts at breakfast with genuine French bread and fresh berries and ends at sushi in a clean buffet where a server gives you the food. All non alcoholic drinks (water, coffee, tea, sodas) are included.

But I shouldn't chime in because my last Princess ship (2 years ago) was in bad shape = stained and worn carpets in public areas, engine trouble. Forgettable buffet food. All serving utensils there were lying directly on the food. The Dawn Princess really put me off this line. Hopefully the Pacific Princess is in much better shape.

Edited by Floridiana

We got multiple little free bottles of liquor which I changed to Gatorade...free. I think he asked if I wanted wine and I said no.

I believe it had a small separate shower.

It was not up to date. It was being sold to Oceania. It was comfortable.

We have yet to cruise with Oceania, but we'd like to. We've thoroughly enjoyed the small ship experiences with Renaissance and Azamara. However, reading these posts, sounds like Oceania tends to 'nickel and dime' quite a bit.

I am interested in the nickel & dime that Oceania does ???

Can you be more specific ?

I am interested in the nickel & dime that Oceania does ???

Can you be more specific ?

Not too bad compared to the mainstream lines I think. They charge for alcohol, unless you buy a package, and the self-service laundry machines. Some kinds of exercise classes perhaps have a charge(?) Gratuities are not included, but often are given gratis as part of a "deal". Can't think of much else.

As I stated' we've never cruised on Oceania. However, I've been doing quite a bit of reading. I'm asking for your input between the Pacific Princess and Regatta. Looks like both lines charge for many of the perks. Take those away, and are the basics of both ships comparable, or does Oceania ''win by a landslide? We don't drink soda; husband doesn't drink alcohol; I enjoy a glass or two of wine; entertainment isn't important; HATE tacky, early morning wake up calls (i.e., GOOOOOD MORNING ladies & gentlemen), prefer 'casual' dress over formal; love smaller ships. Just give us some beautiful scenery, good service, good food, and we're happy campers.

While I've never been on the R size ships of Princess my experience on 1 Princess cruise was less than favorable. Along with Carnival they are the 2 cruise lines I refuse to sail on. There are just so many better choices.

As I stated' we've never cruised on Oceania. However, I've been doing quite a bit of reading. I'm asking for your input between the Pacific Princess and Regatta. Looks like both lines charge for many of the perks. Take those away, and are the basics of both ships comparable, or does Oceania ''win by a landslide? We don't drink soda; husband doesn't drink alcohol; I enjoy a glass or two of wine; entertainment isn't important; HATE tacky, early morning wake up calls (i.e., GOOOOOD MORNING ladies & gentlemen), prefer 'casual' dress over formal; love smaller ships. Just give us some beautiful scenery, good service, good food, and we're happy campers.

You sound perfectly suited to Oceania. Try it and enjoy!

Not too bad compared to the mainstream lines I think. They charge for alcohol, unless you buy a package, and the self-service laundry machines. Some kinds of exercise classes perhaps have a charge(?) Gratuities are not included, but often are given gratis as part of a "deal". Can't think of much else.

Does Azamara still charge for their speciality restaurants??? We all know Oceania doesn't except for La Reserve and Privee on the O class ships.

As I stated' we've never cruised on Oceania. However, I've been doing quite a bit of reading. I'm asking for your input between the Pacific Princess and Regatta. Looks like both lines charge for many of the perks.

What perks are you comparing to ??

If you were a 1st time cruiser on Azamara would have the same perks as you do now?

So you are really comparing Oceania & Azamara

You do pay for alcoholic drinks, laundry, shore excursions, spa treatments, gift shop purchases, bingo & some exercise classes on Oceania

I would think it would be the same on Princess ..they also charge for specialty restaurants, bottled water & sodas

I would choose the itinerary that suits your wants & the budget that you can afford

Bottom line

You will not find the same perks as you have on Azamara

I believe you can get the same perks on Celebrity as A .. maybe look at them as well

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

We like Princess but the food will not compare with Oceania. The Princess food is generally good but hardly great. Oceania is more inclusive and I don't think they nickel and dime. On Princess you will pay for bottled waters, soda, specialty dining.

One thought that has not been discussed is the opportunity to do a land tour. Princess has a well renowned land program of wilderness lodges. Their cruise tour packages are great and in our opinion well worth the experience. The topic of cruise tour verses DIY touring in a rental car has been discussed endlessly on the Alaska boards and opinions vary. Round trip sailings out of Seattle do not allow the land tour option.

The question is in Alaska which is better... answer simple Princess or Holland

It is not the quality of food, cabin, butler, wine list.....its Alaska. It aint the food and drink...you can stay at the Ritz Carlton in Timbuckto... its the place you go. and that's Alaska.

Which ship shows you Alaska best....and Princess has ALL the permits to all the best places where as Oceaina, Crystal, Seabourn,Regent and all the others simply can not go. Oh, you will dine and sleep like a king but you will see 1/2 to 1/12 of what Princess will show you

No matter how you sugar coat it NONE of these lines will, or can deliver a better Alaska experience........... and to pay 3 times as much for 1/2 as much seems like a un wise investment

So what is the reason for the trip? Ya' gotta decide because you can Not have both....trust me

If you have been to Alaska previously, then you may wish to take another cruise and see something different than Glacier Bay. I have been 4 times and seen numerous glaciers. I have also been in Glacier Bay when it has been completely socked in with fog and you could not see a thing. It is the luck of the draw. If it is our first time, then make sure you do do Glacier Bay.

The question is in Alaska which is better... answer simple Princess or Holland

It is not the quality of food, cabin, butler, wine list.....its Alaska. It aint the food and drink...you can stay at the Ritz Carlton in Timbuckto... its the place you go. and that's Alaska.

Which ship shows you Alaska best....and Princess has ALL the permits to all the best places where as Oceaina, Crystal, Seabourn,Regent and all the others simply can not go. Oh, you will dine and sleep like a king but you will see 1/2 to 1/12 of what Princess will show you

No matter how you sugar coat it NONE of these lines will, or can deliver a better Alaska experience........... and to pay 3 times as much for 1/2 as much seems like a un wise investment

So what is the reason for the trip? Ya' gotta decide because you can Not have both....trust me

Does Holland America have the same permits/licences for Alaska as Princess? Can you advise which these "exclusive" ports are (other than Glacier Bay)?

We're thinking of Alaska and there are some smallish HAL ships and I understand that HAL is closer to O for cuisine quality than is Princess.

Edited by ShopperfiendTO

I understand that HAL is closer to O for cuisine quality than is Princess.

I would not confirm this. To my taste buds, HAL's food is bland and its buffet is boring. I don't like their desserts either. Princess food has been hit and miss for me with highs and lows, but when it was good it was really good. Imho, O is in a totally different league.

I would book these lines again if the itinerary is right. Princess only if the ship is new.