Is Cats REALLY 2 1/2 hours long ???

Shippy

I'm not sure why there is so much confusion about what the Show is about. The title kinda sums it up - it is about CATS!! Now I understand that musical theater is not everybodies catnip toy, the truth is that CATS is one of Andrew Lloyd Webber's biggest hits and was once the longest running show on Broadway. (Currently Phantom of the Opera). I'm stunned that this many people are confused by the show. The song "memory" comes from CATS!

Have you ever heard the phrase "I laughed, I cried, it was even better than CATS!!"

I'm not sure why there is so much confusion about what the Show is about. The title kinda sums it up - it is about CATS!! Now I understand that musical theater is not everybodies catnip toy, the truth is that CATS is one of Andrew Lloyd Webber's biggest hits and was once the longest running show on Broadway. (Currently Phantom of the Opera). I'm stunned that this many people are confused by the show. The song "memory" comes from CATS!

Have you ever heard the phrase "I laughed, I cried, it was even better than CATS!!"

The reason it lasted so long was very simply that it was family friendly long before Disney hit Broadway. Once the Lion King came around it didn't stand a chance.

CATS remains the second longest running show in Broadway history. It closed after an 18 year run. Lion King had nothing to do with CATS closing, just the fact that everybody had already seen the Tony award winning best musical multiple times.

Edited by MACruisers

We got seats in the balcony section yet could watch it through the Iphone cameras of those in front of us.

This seems to be the latest distraction, that rather than watch the show, some believe it is their right to stick up their tablets and cameras in the dark theater in front of everyone behind them so that perhaps they might watch the show in the future sometime.

I wish the sound and lightboard operator would stop the show and ask these rude people to turn their stuff off.

I'm looking forward to the show, what else is so important that one can't stay for the entire show?

Edited by cruzincurt

We totally agree about CATS being boring and creepy. We saw the broadway show in Chicago and left at intermission. We didn't appreciate seeing people dressed liked cats crawling around the stage. The music is beautiful but we just couldn't stand looking at the creepy cats!

What a disappointment this is that RCL chose to do THIS show when there are soooo many other wonderful broadway shows.!

CATS remains the second longest running show in Broadway history. It closed after an 18 year run. Lion King had nothing to do with CATS closing, just the fact that everybody had already seen the Tony award winning best musical multiple times.

I'm sorry to disagree with you, but that simply isn't true, Les Miserables is about to reach 30 years in London and Phantom is only a few years behind.

We are 'musical' people, my wife was a singer/dancer and I love musical theatre.

I have to say we found this show absolutely dreadful. The production was actually of a very good quality and the performing in my opinion was west end standard, however, the actual premise of the show was horrendous, the story (what little there is) was absurd and the overall experience extremely boring.

We stayed the whole way through but huge numbers did not return including the couple we were actually sat with who did a runner as soon as the lights went down for the break.

I truly think RCI have made a massively expensive error taking on this show....considering the TA audience compared to typical Caribbean audiences I can only see the show being even less popular with a younger more 'impatient' audience.

Maybe in the 80s a bunch of people pretending to be cats did appeal to children but in the modern world I'm afraid the show is outdated and children will not find it fascinating, their parents in turn, even if into musicals, will probably find the experience surreal at best and dull at worst.

Again, I think taking on this was a huge, huge error, the show is a 'serious' show and of all the 'serious' shows out there this really is the hardest work to get through - that is why it closed.

The show is non-sensical no matter how long it is....

You read my mind. I saw Cats in London and hated it. There are so many musicals out there that much more enjoyable than this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cats will be playing when we are on Oasis. I slept through it the first time and wish I could have slept through it the second time. Will there be enough other shows if we skip Cats, or should we change ships?

If you skip Cats, you will probably only miss a show that one night.

You really can't disagree with facts. You may notice I didn't say the West End, I said Broadway. CATS is the second longest running show in BROADWAY history (this is a fact) Phantom is the longest running show on Broadway. (Fact).

That said, I am not a fan of either show and quite honestly, I am NOT an Andrew Lloyd Webber fan. ALW knows how to attract an audience and he knows how to make money.

My original point was I am confused that people don't know what CATS is about. Clearly it is about CATS. Have people not heard Memory? Or heard of T S Elliot?

While I agree that CATS is not the most exciting show, it is an easily mounted show. One set, no costume changes. many Broadway (or west end for that matter ) shows are difficult to stage on a cruise because of the difficulty in staging. I read many post on CC saying they would love to see Wicked on a ship. That would be great, but the logistics of that show make it unlikely. I understand Wicked is popular, but also expensive. A show like CATS is less expensive, has NAME recognition for the show and ALW and Memory.

Perhaps it is a mistake for RCCL, it is dated and somewhat dull.

Perhaps a show like Billy Elliot or Blood Brothers would fare better. Given RCI a partnership,with Dreamworks, why haven't we seen SHREK the musical on a ship?

I wish Book of Morman was on some ship.

AWESOME choice. I would love to see that, but can you IMAGINE the screaming on CRuise Critic? The people here are so easily offended by the smallest of things. After seeing Book of Mormon, the hysteria would never end.

Of course they would be offended by a show that was extended to offend, but somehow I suspect the irony would be lost.

We saw the broadway show in Chicago and left at intermission. We didn't appreciate seeing people dressed liked cats crawling around the stage. The music is beautiful but we just couldn't stand looking at the creepy cats!

Just curious, what were you expecting?

We loved the show. Yes, it was the "Preview" show, therefore the orchestra was not there. We had only a piano player. Still, it was an excellent show and would love to see it again. At the end, there was a very long standing ovation. Obviously most of the audience enjoyed the show. We did see the show once before, and loved it then.

The show started at 8:30 PM, had a 15 minute intermission around 9:45, and ended at 11:00 PM. Did not seem long at all!!

Thank you RCCL.

Saw the show least night. It is that long including a 20 minute intermission. We loved it but about 50% of the audience never came back after the break. Felt bad for a very hard working cast

In my opinion not quite Broadway standard but as good as any major city production.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Forums mobile app

We saw the first Cats on the Oasis TA. We have seen it twice before and this production was really good Yes it is the full production, as required by Andrew Lloyd Webber

I suggest that those going read a bit about it to enhance the Cats experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those who have seen the Oasis show - how was seating after intermission? If many people don't come back and the seats not assigned like a true Broadway show, what is the probability of somebody else taking your seat and you having to sit someplace else?