Three Part Emergency Drill

Hope to Cruise

And where will you be? Blocking the doorway and hindering the efforts of the crew according to your earlier comments. Let us all hope you never have a real evacuation - and if you are required to go to your cabin during the drill, are you going to defy captain's orders?

Lizzie,

Thank you for being so helpful, it really aids the discussion. And I also hope that neither you nor I ever have a real evacuation.

To answer your question, I will be either out on the deck near my assigned lifeboat or near an exit leading out on the deck. I will be careful to not block the access for anyone else.

During a drill I will do whatever I am instructed to do. I really don't give a hoot about the drills, which I have done more than 80 times previously and from which I have learned absolutely nothing during the last 70 of them. But I do them and stand quietly and daydream as the same information is given. I cannot think of a single new fact I have learned during my most recent 70 drills.

But in a real emergency, I don't care what had been said previously. I, and my family, will darn well be somewhere where escape is possible and not in some cabin in the bowels of the ship with possibly no escape path. I believe that is just plain stupid.

Scott & Karen

Ok, just to share our experience.

The new system is no biggie. They tell you what the blows of the horn mean.

the steward does come to check that you are in your cabin.

Their is assistance for those that need it.

It's a typical muster drill with just a tad of a wait and an understanding.

The only issue I have is that more people meandered than normal on the Prinsendam and it dragged out the drill.

Other than that, I saw no major issue. Those that had mobility issues were helped (and they weren't the late ones)

Thanks for this. Interesting that the steward does come to check to see if you are in your cabin. The question arises: what is you are not?

My best guess is based on the experience I have learned from previous b2b cruisers: you do must participate in the drill.

I am thinking of trying to do this my "old" way: getting to my Muster Station early for my 2nd Noordam January cruise. But, I will follow the instructions for the first cruise of the b2b: don't want to be disembarked for being naughty or spend the cruise helping to increase fuel economy by rowing.

I experienced this new system in September on the Statendam. Just told them I COULD NOT DO STAIRS and they let me take the elevator. Those who showed up early were directed back to their staterooms.

They take the new system very seriously.

Gosh, ... so they were really sending people who got there early back to their staterooms?

LuLu

If people won't follow instructions during a drill, what are the chances that they will follow instructions during an emergency? Suddenly everybody knows what is best and pandemonium erupts. Great. :eek:

That's the way it sounds to me, too. Looks like many think they know better and will do exactly as they please. I just hope I'm not sailing with them in a real emergency.

So on a b2b cruise, are we going to have to do the muster drill twice? Or will they know we already did it on the 1st leg?

You do need to do the muster drill both times. This is the way things are since the Concordia incident. We just completed a collectors' cruise and it was made very clear that attendance at the second drill was mandatory for us.

You do need to do the muster drill both times. This is the way things are since the Concordia incident. We just completed a collectors' cruise and it was made very clear that attendance at the second drill was mandatory for us.

Yes, but remember: Each lifeboat drill you attend counts as a Muster Drill Day, and puts you one step closer to earning your bright orange medallion* (which floats, and lights up when it comes in contact with water.)

We're looking forward to seeing the new procedures in action this weekend. We think it might be the highlight of our trip!

* I'm making this up. ;)

That's the way it sounds to me, too. Looks like many think they know better and will do exactly as they please.
Sadly, the world has very many people who think that they have nothing more to learn, and that they know better. Some are even prepared to assert it in public.

If people won't follow instructions during a drill, what are the chances that they will follow instructions during an emergency? Suddenly everybody knows what is best and pandemonium erupts. Great. :eek:

Unfortunately, you nailed it.

Agree 100%.

I am not going to presume I know more about emergency safety procedures than the professionals at HAL.

Honestly, no one knows how they will react in the face of a incident. People panic , crew including . The best laid plans of mice and men so to speak. If I decide to go to my muster station instead of my stateroom it wouldn't be because I am a rebel or a trouble maker . I can't say what I would do, though because *knock on wood* I haven't experienced an emergency at sea. The only thing I can guarantee about my actions is that I would assist others, even in a panic I would maintain enough human decency to do this. At least I hope so.

I can say that there is nothing in my stateroom that I would go back for.. Unless it was a person. Every thing else can be replaced .

I also have had contact with a Costa Concordia survivor and to put it in a nutshell she survived because she didn't listen to the crew . I do not fault the crew at all .,, they were doing their jobs by following orders from higher ups. The situation was a mess from the get go.

Last July in Vegas alarms went off while I was at the Flamingo. Announcements told us to stay in our room and to await further instructions . Umm no way was I waiting on the 12th floor so I, and many others went down the emergency stairs. I helped carry a baby stroller down so the mom and her children could evacuate . We never did find out what happened. We are still waiting on further instructions five months later.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Emergency drill are done over and over again to that you know what to do in a real emergency situation; some of that information does get absorbed.

In New York City fire and other emergency drills are done a couple of times a year and it can include a full evacuation to a muster location away from the building. Sure, they can point out where the emergency staircase is and tell you to meet at Point X but after you have done it a few times you know what to expect, what the staircase looks like, where it lets you out.

What would you have done when you self-evacuated in Las Vegas and ran into a fire on the 8th floor? :confused:

Gosh, ... so they were really sending people who got there early back to their staterooms?

LuLu

They sure were sending people back to their cabins. I received special compensation by not having to stand during the drill. I can't physically do it so went & reported early to life boat captain and sat it out in the atrium with the nurse. A guy from Carnival Corp. came by and asked what I was doing. Explained to him and he made notes on a clip board and said OK.

Edited by solocanadian